Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling: June 19, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Photos on Count Carl Johan Bernadotte and wife Gunnila? Countess Dagmar von Arbin on photos? Countess Marianne Bernadotte and Madeleine Kogenivas? Madeleine is daughter at Prince Carl Bernadotte and Elsa von Rosen! Dagmar von arbin is oldest relatives at king Carl Gustaf.

Count Carl and Countess Gunnila.
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

You know...Ever since the Wedding Day and looking back at all the pictures over the last couple of weeks, I've had one song running through my head whenever I think of Victoria and Daniel's Day. I think it really perfectly sums up how both were feeling on their Wedding Day and also about each other. It's all about living life for today and cherishing it. It's by my favoutie artist, Josh Groban, and is called Awake.

Josh's Official Website ~ Lyrics Section ~ Awake lyrics

And...

Josh's Official Website ~ Videos Section ~ Awake Live in Concert

It never fails w/me, and I think it's due to my Dad's ill health as well as my own medical battles, but that second verse never ever ever fails to make me cry.

Now it's just me, but that song just seems to fit Victoria and Daniel so well. Especially on their Wedding Day though.

Just wanted to share that w/everyone. :flowers::flowers::flowers:

I think the key phrase here is "if it is correct". Clearly the silk used will have been extremely expensive and of the highest quality. But why on earth would Victoria want to use such silk in a design based around something commonly found in a shopping mall, when it could be used by your favourite dress designer under your own ideas, sculptured around your own body in a mirrored room. Off-the-peg rubbish or regal simplicity?

Because, here in the States, in most Bridal Shops, off the rack doesn't mean the very dress on a rack, but one customized to you. Yes, she had the very best silk, but the design was common, except for the train. Even that was that special. She made her dress special with her wonderful smile. Most bridal gowns, here, are made to your fit, for a whole lot less than the, possible price, quoted. Again, I do not know if that is really the price. That I must admit.

Yeah but Victoria is a princess, this is her wedding day, you don't skimp on your wedding day.

Yeah but Victoria is a princess, this is her wedding day, you don't skimp on your wedding day.

Oh, I agree. But where I was coming from is, she didn't get value. She never should have skimped. But the gown fell short of anything, but plain, with a beautiful bride.

Countess , you are so right, the gown was overpriced in my estimation as well. With the estimated $100,000 dollars American perhaps Victoria could have gone to Paris couture like her mother did.Or perhaps she could have bought something from the US. I kinda wonder about the price tag of the gown with it being so exorbitant.The main thing is that she is happy along with her husband and that they have a wonderful life together.

If true, $100,000 price tag for the dress is outrageous! Special day or not.

I think it is important that royalty stays "in touch with reality" or at least tries to give that impression.

May be it was 100,000 swedish Kroner - which is about $25,000 - that would be more sensible.

Because, here in the States, in most Bridal Shops, off the rack doesn't mean the very dress on a rack, but one customized to you. Yes, she had the very best silk, but the design was common, except for the train. Even that was that special. She made her dress special with her wonderful smile. Most bridal gowns, here, are made to your fit, for a whole lot less than the, possible price, quoted. Again, I do not know if that is really the price. That I must admit.
I do not believe you will find anyone in the US going to a Bridal Shop if they can afford a designer dress custom made.

Honestly, $100,000 for a wedding gown is not so outrageous for a princess.
Thats her big day and she deserves it.

What difference does it make whether she got her gown from some couture designer or off the rack at a discount bargain house? Victoria got and wore the gown she wanted, and she looked fabulous. She could have worn a housecoat and fuzzy bunny slippers and still would have looked like she was on top of the world because she was marrying the man she loved with all her heart. Yes it was plain and unadorned, because she probably didn't want lace, beads and pearls. She's not a fru-fru kind of woman, and she certainly didn't need anything else but her Prince on her arm to make her one of the happiest and beautiful brides in the world.

Her outfit said: "CLASS" with every inch of the duchesse silk used, and in my (european) eyes it looks certainly very costly. It suits her perfectly and frames her beauty without taking ones attention of her face, which was the best of all, shining as it was with happiness.
I think that european taste varies from american quite a bit.

I have to agree with you Lorette. Her dress was absolutely magnificent, perfectly suited to what we have seen to be her style, and the jewels were amazing. But the best part was how radiantly happy she looked from the moment she arrived.

Lorette, I am American, and I agree with you completely. I think that the dress was perfect and suited Victoria wonderfully.

True elegance lies in simplicity. There is nothing better than a wonderful fabric, expertly cut. Needless to say, it takes great craftsmanship and skill to cut a good fabric and not to hide behind lace or ruffles or beads, and of course such expertise commands a high price. To suggest that Victoria could have done better in a shop in the States is, in my opinion, ludicrous. You can't compare the quality of the design, the fabric, or the fit... and the difference is frankly evident, even through photographs. There is a reason that people who are able to afford it are willing to pay high prices for "haute couture" - although, technically, that term may be applied only to the work of a few specific designers.

In the end, this dress stands among one of my very favorites - second only perhaps to Valentino's creation for Maxima of the Netherlands, which was also sublimely simple and elegant. There is a reason that haute couture has often been described as "wearable art."

A good dress only lives with the woman it is intended for. It might not work at all on another person. So the princesses are very fortunate in being able to employ a designer who knows them and knows what look suits them and the occasion. I liked Mette Marit's dress very much, but also the very rich and crumply dress on Princess Diana, who had not much of a personalty back then, being so young, so the dress made up for that and gave her the charm of a fully blooming rose. Would have been horrible on an older woman though.

Look at her dress the night before. She was stunning, it was stunning and it was quite beaded.

And?
The dress designed by Elie Saab, I believe was beautiful and looked wonderful on Victoria, but beading on the dress Victoria wore on her wedding day would look wrong.

The dress the night before was for a party. Her wedding gown was designed for the church and the brides taste. Not all brides want to be bedazzled from head to toe she looked royal and most of all happy.

Never mind the dress! The whole wedding was so extraordinary, that I, who do not at all care much about royality and did not even know the name of the groom beforehand, was so enchanted that I read and write here! The world is a better place that I thought, when romances such as this one are happening.
Picture yourself the royal Pappa who sends his oldest for two years to Yale, and when she comes back she falls for the nice guy at the gym :p, the guy being enough of a man to stick to the woman even though it cost him his privacy (and that of his family), his business, his name and alas! his baseball caps, and being such a romantic, that he weeps all his way up the aisle, while the woman who choose him has indeed grown from girl into a very beautiful and happy woman through the love they share! It is the stuff fairytales are made of, and in the sentiments that the couple shared with all of us who watched, one can sense the years of difficulty and fighting for a love, which they must at times have felt to be impossible.

I had not been this excited about a Royal Wedding since I was 13. Lady Diana Spencer and Prince Charles's wedding was my first Royal Wedding. It was magical at the time.

This wedding captured my attention the same way ... only this time I believe these two are truly in love.

It was a beautiful wedding. :flowers:

(I loved her dress, it suited her so well. She made a lovely bride.)

I agree her dress was well suited to her. Pricy, but perfect for her.

Now I have some questions about the ceremony: in most weddings I have been to [including my own] at some point the bride and groom + witnesses have to sign something- a register or a form etc. They also do in the few royal weddings I have seen on TV (Phillipe-Mathilde, Charles-Diana etc.) IN the Victoria-Daniel wedding there was no signing.
Also there was no best man , maid of honour.

Any swedes out there who can shed light on the ritual used?

I agree her dress was well suited to her. Pricy, but perfect for her.

Now I have some questions about the ceremony: in most weddings I have been to [including my own] at some point the bride and groom + witnesses have to sign something- a register or a form etc. They also do in the few royal weddings I have seen on TV (Phillipe-Mathilde, Charles-Diana etc.) IN the Victoria-Daniel wedding there was no signing.

Carl-Philip was Daniel's best man if I am correct.
And Victoria chose to have younger bridesmaids and page boys, not a maid of honour.
They may have signed something before, or not have to sign anything.

For me was so stupid thing, that Queen Rania photographed, like a tourist.

It was a really beautiful wedding and I loved to watch it on TV. A perfect day for the couple and the Swedish people. If every wedding would be that nice and well organized ... :p

They all seemed to be taking picture rania used her phone maybe she forgot her camera. Them taking pictures to me made it feel like a real wedding not so so stuffy.

For me was so stupid thing, that Queen Rania photographed, like a tourist.

All royals took pictures on the day of the wedding with there own cameras.
It's happened at other weddings too, it is a wedding after all.

To get married in Sweden you dont have to sign anything :) - at least not during the ceremony in church...

Before the wedding (3 months) the two who are getting married have to send a request for a "Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage" (Hindersprövning).
When they get that document they have to sign it (both of them) and send it back. Then they get another document that says: "OK, you are allowed to get married" (hindersprövningsintyg) and they have to give that document to the priest/official at marriage BEFORE the weddin. No "hindersprövningsintyg" no wedding.

During the wedding ceremony (in church) after they said yes and made their promises they get the marriage license from the priest/official at marriage (signed by the priest and 2 witnesses).... You was able to see the Archbishop Andres Wejryd give a white envelope to Daniel during the ceremony and Daniel gave it to Prince Carl Philip.

Is there a picture of Crown Princess Victoria bowing her head to her father King Gustaf right as she gets to the top of the stairs, after the boat ride? I have seen lots of film of them hugging after the King took off his hat, then the new Royal Couple huggs each others parents. But I could have sworn that she bowed her head to her father first. Can anyone find a picture of that for me? Is that the only time anyone bowed to any of the Swedish Royals, Daniel included? Execpt maybe when CP Victoria and P Daniel were leaving the cathedral? Thanks, it has become kind of an obsession to me.......

Back
Top Bottom