Crown Princess Beatrix of The Netherlands & Claus von Amsberg: March 10, 1966

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aha That's interesting. Thanks for telling , Marengo. :)
You are really good informed about the Dutch Royal Family!
But you also don't know about Margrethe missing at the wedding? :confused:
It's a Mystery. ;)
I don't know exactely , but maybe she was planning her own engagement this time. Is that possible? ;)

Her_Majesty said:
oh no that cannot be true.
The wedding took place in April 1966! Margrethe married one year after Beatrix in May 1967! And frederik was born in May 1968.
So she wasn't pregnant this time.
I think it was Beatrix who just gave birth to WA when she attended the wedding of Margrethe and Henry/ Henrik. :)

Whoops !!!! Sorry:eek: I knew one of them did not attend the others wedding because of pregnancy but got it the wrong way around.:)

Scott

A couple of photos by Sipa Press via Olympia and SeegerPress:

Thanks for posting Elsa, lovely pictures. Funny to note that with each generation the flower arrangements are becoming even bigger. Amalia will end up marrying in a garden :)

Marengo said:
Thanks for posting Elsa, lovely pictures. Funny to note that with each generation the flower arrangements are becoming even bigger. Amalia will end up marrying in a garden :)
yes I noticed the same thing: in Alexander's case, the Dam Palace's balcony's gate was entirely covered in flowers, which I thought very pretty looking. In Beatrix's case, the arrangement in comparison seems sparse. And yes, when Amalia gets 'hitched' in the year 2525, erm, I mean, in perhaps 2033, I'd hope she'd emulate her parents in terms of quantity of flower arrangements and not her grandmother's.

Well, Juliana had some christmas trees at The Hague, I think. An Wilhelmina probably only flags (I don t recall if they appeared on the balcony of Noordeinde, it wasn´t mentioned anywhere). So in hindsight, beatrix flowers weren´t to bad.
I noticed the same difference in funerals BTW, with Queen Wilhelmina there were some flower arrangements, with the 3 latest funerals there were a lot more (lovely ones IMO).

I was reading in a Royaltybook that there didn't attend so many Royals on the wedding in 1966 then on the Silverwedding of juliana and Bernard some years before.
Does anyone know why?
Was it because Claus was a German or something in this direction?
I also always wondered why Margrethe didn't come.. She and Beatrix were said to be close friends, weren't they?
Another question: Where did the Royal couple spend their honeymoon?

Beautiful photos ! thank you soo much

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess_Beatrix said:
I was reading in a Royaltybook that there didn't attend so many Royals on the wedding in 1966 then on the Silverwedding of juliana and Bernard some years before.
Does anyone know why?
Was it because Claus was a German or something in this direction?
I also always wondered why Margrethe didn't come.. She and Beatrix were said to be close friends, weren't they?
Another question: Where did the Royal couple spend their honeymoon?

I don't think the background of Claus had anything to do with it. IMO the main reason was that the house of Orange isnt as closely related to the other royal houses as the rest of them.

The honeymoon went to Mexico, they stayed in a villa of friends I believe.

Marengo said:
The honeymoon went to Mexico, they stayed in a villa of friends I believe.
Mexico seemed to be a popular Royal Honeymoon-country. Harald and Sonja spent their honeymoon in Mexico, too. :kiss:

It would have been Beatrix' and Claus' 41st weddinganniversary today... :ermm:

A few more of this wonderful wedding:

The entrance to the pre-wedding dinner

1966hilton101.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

At their wedding day. The couple's first appereance in public at this day

BCweddingleavingRoyalPalace.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The big family-wedding-photo

Beatrixweddingfamilyfriends.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After all the troubles the new married-couple started their honeymoon. These pictures are from their return to the Netherlands

1966--3honeymoon6tk.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1966-31738138uz.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The honeymoon must have been great. You see it in their smile I think:wub:

(sources: vorsten, beeldbank)

This is one of my favourite picture and story of that day. The picture shows Prince Claus holding a speech, which adressed his new wife:

BCweddingClausspeech.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dear Trix. I want to thank you for the love which makes me happy. Nobody would be touched more by your smile than I'm touched. You let me see that after these smile there is a loving heart dissembled which cares for the problems of the people you meet. I face with gladness the wonderful and ambitious duty which we abut on our collective shoulder from now one.:wub:

I hope my translation is not that bad.

(source: vorsten)

Hetgeheugenvannederland.nl has the polygoon journal of Beatrix wedding. It is actually nice footage, a summary of the wedding and it takes approx. 12 minutes. Take a look here and select one of the windows media options.

I don't like her dress at all but hey it was the 60s right

Her dress was very dull.The gloves makes it worse.

Although it's not a favorite, I don't mind her wedding dress...minus the gloves, minus the veil. It's hard to say how much I like it as many of the photos do not display the detail clearly and I'm not certain if the lace/embroidery is too heavy or just right.

Wonderful video's,I was just looking at the royals gathered at the celebrations in the 1st video,very young Albert II and Queen Paola (then Prince and Princess of Liege),Queen Fabiola,King Baudouin,Queen Juliana,King Constantine II of Greece ,Princess Margriet and Princess Marina Duchess of Kent.I may have missed a few more!

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Queen Beatrix's Gown

I think Beatrix's gown is dull, boring, uninteresting, and dated. I also dislike the gloves with the gown. Though I don't think it's one of the worst wedding dresses of course. The only things that I like about her look was her veil, tiara, and brooch. Nevertheless, not a gown for a future Queen in my opinion.

Some more pics...

Source: Worldroots

Crown Princess Beatrix was an absolutely beautiful bride!

In July 1966 Queen Juliana broadcast on television and radio that Princess Beatrix was engaged to the diplomat Claus-Georg von Amsberg.
"I assure you," Juliana told the people. "It is a good thing." :queen3:

A crowd of only 2,000 cheered Beatrix and Claus on the balcony.
An effort to raise $350,000 for the bride produced $20,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
A crowd of only 2,000 cheered Beatrix and Claus on the balcony.
An effort to raise $350,000 for the bride produced $20,000.

Raise money from whom? Do you have a source for this?

Back
Top Bottom