Crown Prince Willem-Alexander of The Netherlands & Máxima Zorreguieta: Feb 2, 2002

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must be doing something wrong. When I try to watch the video it says that it is stopped but it wont let me rewind it.

Over here it works!
Thanks, The Watcher. I saved it so I can watch it whenever I want! ;)

Photos

Does anyone have photos of Marilene & Annette at W-A & Maxima's wedding? I don't think i've ever seen any.

The Watcher, I'm so sorry to ask again, but would you mind posting it one more time. I just missed the expiration date and would love to see it. Thank you.

A few more by Polfoto:

Thank you for those, Elsa! You've been quite busy today!
It's much appreciated, of course! :)

Where can I find photos of the other royals that attended -- Philippe and Mathilde, etc.?

Emily said:
Where can I find photos of the other royals that attended?
Please, take a look at the first pages of this thread.

Here are some more guests, by Polfoto and Cover:
1. Prince Maurits and Marilene;
2-3. Juan Zorreguieta ( Maxima's brother) and her godmother, aunt Marcela Cerruti;
4. Prince Constantijn and Laurentien;
5. Queen Beatrix and her single son;
6. other European Crown Princes (Felipe of Spain, Frederick of Denmark, Pavlos of Greece, etc.).

Elsa, I am trying to find Philippe/Mathilde, Pavlos/MC....any photos of those couples? And, also, thank you so much for all these additional photos above. This was one of my favorite royal weddings and I am really enjoying all these pictures.

best

Maxima's bridal costume, tiara, bouquet excellence
best bridal dress for other crown princess

Thanks for those pictures Elsa! :)
I love Máxima's dress! It looked simply stunning!

IMO it was a wonderful wedding with many emotions.
It was great to see the couple. They looked so happy.
Also the Queen and Prince Claus. It was cute to see how Beatrix supported her husband the whole time. :eek:

Emily said:
Elsa, I am trying to find Philippe/Mathilde, Pavlos/MC....any photos of those couples?
Here they are.;)
By GettyImages:

This is definitely one of my favorite modern weddings. Did they ever publish a book detailing the wedding I have a couple from the British Royal Family (Charles/Diana, Sarah/Andrew, and Edward/Sophie). I would love to add this to my collection.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah..... Adios Nonino!

Maxie said:
I found another video of Adios Nonino on the web!
Enjoy it as long as it lasts...:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6_PNcjR3Q&search=Prince%20Wedding

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.... never, never I have seen a more moving moment in any royal wedding! The heavenly tango, the Princess missing her beloved parents, the tears....

These were the moments Princess Máxima captured the hearts of all viewers.

:wub:

Maxie said:
I found another video of Adios Nonino on the web!
Enjoy it as long as it lasts...:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6_PNcjR3Q&search=Prince%20Wedding

Thanks Maxie!!! :flowers:
That was such a nice video, Maxima looked really beautiful and you could tell she was thinking of her parents. W-A holding her hand the whole way through showed that he knew what she was thinking :wub:

BTW, does anyone know how to save YouTube videos to your harddrive?

Adios Nonino

The Princess for sure cried about her parent's absence. She knew the performer (Carel Kraaijenhoff and his Sexteto Cayengue) and knew he would perform it.

Adiós Nonino litterally means 'Go with God my little (grand)father', in modern translation: 'Farewell my little father'. The text, translated in English (the original is in Spanish):

From a scintillating star he will signal me to come,
by a light of eternity when he calls me I will go.
To ask him for that child that I lost with his death,
that with Nonino he went...

When he tells me come here... I'll be reborn ... because...

I am...!

the root of the country that modeled with its clay,
I am...!

blood and skin, of that Italian who gave me his seed...
Farewell Nonino...
how long the road will be without you

Pain, sadness, the table and the bread...!
and my farewell...
Ay...! my farewell, to your love, your tobacco, your wine.
Who, without pity, took half of me, when taking you Nonino....?
Perhaps one day, I also looking back... will say as you, farewell... no more bets...!

And today my old Nonino is a part of nature: he is the light, the wind, and the river...
this torrent within me replaces him, extending in me his challenge.
I perpetuate myself in his blood, I know.
And anticipate in my voice, his own echo.
This voice that once sounded hollow to me when I said farewell...
Farewell Nonino.

I am...!

the root of the country that modeled with its clay,
I am...!

blood and skin,of that Italian who gave me his seed...
Farewell Nonino...
you left your sun in my destiny, your fearless ardor, your creed of love.
And that eagerness...
Ah..! your eagerness, for seeding the road with hope.

I am your honeycomb and this drop of sunlight that today cries for you Nonino
perhaps the day when my string is cut, I will see you and I will know there is no end...
Ah..!

d12.jpg

Source picture: ANP / uploaded via my own webspace

Last edited:
The best part of the wedding

For me the best part of the wedding was the entrance of the bride and the groom.

The television showed a shot from high above the roof of the church and the glorious Entrata della Regina (The Entrance of The Queen) by the Dutch composer Jurriaan Andriessen (1928-1998) was played, the doors of the mighty organ suddenly moved open and deep down below you saw the bridal couple entering, the Princess with her metres long train.

It was as if singing angels from heaven welcomed the bridal couple. I have never seen such an effect before. I will see for that part on video.

This is the entrance (RealPlayer required). See and enjoy.

http://cgi.omroep.nl/cgi-bin/streams?/nos/nieuws/2002/februari/video/020202/nk_entree.rm

Last edited:
This was an impressive moment in the ceremony. Yet, with the couple whispering to each other, you have the sense that the occasion is a joyous and intimate one.

Thank you for the video of the entrance, Henri! It was quite impressive indeed, it's always wonderful to hear great organs in their full glory and Andriessen's piece was certainly something different, not the regular thing you hear being played.

I always wondered if Adios Nonino had lyrics, btw. There are so many wonderful Piazzolla tango's with even more wonderful lyrics like 'Vuelvo al sur' or 'Chiquilin de Bachin' for instance (really, I'm almost as hooked up on Piazzolla as I am on Kurt Weill, my favourite composer). I really wish to have a version of the bridal tango where somebody is singing this wonderful text. Does anybody have an idea where I could find such a piece? :flowers:

Those are two wonderful videos: the Adios Nonino and the entrance to the wedding. Thank you so much for sharing these. I agree that there was a majesty and yet and intimacy in this wedding that makes it especially appealing to me. It was a beautiful ceremony.

Zonk1189 said:
This is definitely one of my favorite modern weddings. Did they ever publish a book detailing the wedding I have a couple from the British Royal Family (Charles/Diana, Sarah/Andrew, and Edward/Sophie). I would love to add this to my collection.

There was an official book, called 02-02-02. It had many pictures of the wedding, background information and looked back on the engagement and the visits to the provinces. It was available in english as well I believe, but I do not know where you can get it these days, maybe ebay?

I wasn't around when they were married. Could someone tell me why her parents were not allowed at the wedding? Thanks

her father was the (agriculture) minister during the dictatorship of Argentinian president Jorge Rafael Videla, when many awful things happened in Argentina. It was considered to be a major issue for the engagement. It was questioned whether or not they would even be given permission to wed (by the parliament). Because of the atrocities that occured then, and to stop the parlimentary debate over it, her father offered not to come. Because her father couldn't come, her mother decided against going as well. Maxima has visited them since her marriage, and remains in a seemingly good relationship with them, but, for this formal occasion, she decided to side with the Netherlands. If she had refused to not allow her parents, the scandal could have been much worse. However, we all know that they were there in her heart.

Thanks for the information. That must have been really hard on her.

The father 'giving away' the bride

When a bridal couple enters the church in the Netherlands (and Belgium, and Luxembourg, and France, and Germany, and Italy, etc.) they already are husband and wife.

In most European countries the only legal binding wedding is the one before the municipal registrar. The religious wedding has no any relevance for the law. The bride going down to the aisle and 'given away' by the father is really an anglosaxon phenomenon.

Many European ladies even find it insulting because they are adult, independent and well-educated ladies who have made the choice of their heart for their partner. The father has nothing to do in that. They do not need his permission and for sure not to be 'given away'.

But it is romantic and sometimes you see a father 'giving away' his daughter in church in the Netherlands, which is really nonsense because they already are married.

The most used custom is:

the groom arrives with a special car at the bride's parental home

the brides' parents greet the groom and he asks to see their daughter

the bride walks out of her parental home, the whole street gasps an applauds

the bride and groom together go to the municipal hall

they go to the church (if they want a church wedding)

they go to the reception

:flowers:

Henri M. said:
When a bridal couple enters the church in the Netherlands (and Belgium, and Luxembourg, and France, and Germany, and Italy, etc.) they already are husband and wife.

In most European countries the only legal binding wedding is the one before the municipal registrar. The religious wedding has no any relevance for the law. The bride going down to the aisle and 'given away' by the father is really an anglosaxon phenomenon.

Many European ladies even find it insulting because they are adult, independent and well-educated ladies who have made the choice of their heart for their partner. The father has nothing to do in that. They do not need his permission and for sure not to be 'given away'.

But it is romantic and sometimes you see a father 'giving away' his daughter in church in the Netherlands, which is really nonsense because they already are married.

The most used custom is:

the groom arrives with a special car at the bride's parental home

the brides' parents greet the groom and he asks to see their daughter

the bride walks out of her parental home, the whole street gasps an applauds

the bride and groom together go to the municipal hall

they go to the church (if they want a church wedding)

they go to the reception

:flowers:

And Marilene van den Browk, Annette sekreve and Anita van Eijk walked all down the aisle with their fathers. The only daughter-in-law of Princess Margriet who was not given away was Aimée Söhngen.

The fathers 'giving away' their daughters in the municipal hall is kind of okay. The fathers 'giving away' for the second time in church was grotesque nonsenses.

This really was a nouveauté and did only happen in the Van Vollenhoven-family. Maybe because of the strong anglosaxon binds Princess Margriet has (being a born Canadian).

But the Van Vollenhovens are not taken seriously as a royal family. They are feed for the boulevard press and that was it.

Back
Top Bottom