Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson: May 14, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest,I wasn't that interested in royalty back in 2004,which means that I didn't pay any attention.I guess it was covered,but I don't know how much.

Thank you for the videos of their wedding Ccile.

Anyone know what the song is played right before the couple departs the Cathedral? It starts off with a trumpet solo and then the choir kicks in. Its beautiful but I have no idea what it is called.

Wedding Reception

I first discovered Mary when I was researching wedding elements for my own wedding in 2008. I had no idea about her before that. She's been an inspiration ever since. :flowers:

Last edited:
I absolutely loved the "flower wall". Flowers are my thing and there can never be too much of it. I was surprised to see Mary's wedding dress. Very plain, but I guess she didn't have a choice on what to wear.

:previous:

Thank you so much Jonc, those HQ pics are outstanding and remind me how dramatic, beautiful and very tasteful this wedding was. Mary and Fred's is still my favourite, althought Victoria's was such a big one. But I think that the Danes have so much taste and class that money and means can't buy. When I look at the theatre, the church, and the reception under the tent I can't help loving how they coherently put up everything to reflect the theme of flower, spring and love, from Mary's unique wedding gown, to the different shades of pink floral decorations, the Queen's speech even pointed out Denmark as a "garden". Fred's speech was so elegant yet touching and romantic, and look at how lovely their wedding waltz was... aww they forgot about the whole world gazing into each other's eyes while their loved ones surrounded them in heart-shaped rows.:wub:

Last edited:
Because there wouldn't have been enough room for all inside Fredensborg :)

:previous:

Thank you so much Jonc, those HQ pics are outstanding and remind me how dramatic, beautiful and very tasteful this wedding was. Mary and Fred's is still my favourite, althought Victoria's was such a big one. But I think that the Danes have so much taste and class that money and means can't buy. When I look at the theatre, the church, and the reception under the tent I can't help loving how they coherently put up everything to reflect the theme of flower, spring and love, from Mary's unique wedding gown, to the different shades of pink floral decorations, the Queen's speech even pointed out Denmark as a "garden". Fred's speech was so elegant yet touching and romantic, and look at how lovely their wedding waltz was... aww they forgot about the whole world gazing into each other's eyes while their loved ones surrounded them in heart-shaped rows.:wub:

I agree. I too think Mary & Frederick's wedding has been the best so far. I'm sorry as I don't mean to offend those who really loved Victoria's wedding but for me, as much as I enjoyed it (especially the boat), her wedding proved that bigger is not always better.
I really loved the flower theme too. Did you see those amazing flower arrangements on show in the theatre? That was beautiful. I have never seen it from that angle. You just appreciate how talented and hardworking those florists must've been. Probably well paid too! I loved, loved,loooved the flower arrangements at the church too. Not over the top and not underdone. It was perfect. I have to give credit to Queen Margrethe though. She has impeccable taste and an eye for all things classy and elegant.
Everything from the music used to the uniforms on show was simply maginificent. The one minor flaw if any was her wedding dress. I loved everything about the wedding dress except the loose fit of the top half around her shoulders. Either the person who created it didn't get the measurements quite right or Mary lost more weight since the last fitting so it was a bit loose around that area?
But that didn't seem to worry Frederik too much. Or Joachim for that matter!:lol: Everytime I watch the wedding, I see how ecstatic he is, whispering to her and his eyes checking her out!:lol:
IMO I find Denmark does have a more 'regal' approach as far as big events go than any other European Royal Family too. I agree with you. The fact that it is the oldest European monarchy and holds so much history and connection to all things to do with royalty makes that statement even more real seeming to me.

Other weddings I really liked was Maxima's and Mette Marits. The church used for Maxima's wedding was so granduer and beautiful and Mette-Marit's wedding dress was divine!
I just love watching royal weddings fullstop!

there were some lovely weeks on may 2005
we got to see royal weddings and a grand time for royal watchers.

do you have a favorite photo of this wedding?

Does anyone remember the number of guests that attended the wedding? :flowers:

i'm not sure if i'm right, but i read that there were 800 guests for the wedding and 400 attended the reception.

The more I see Mary's dress the more is grows on me.I love the full skirt.If I wore this dress I would change the color and remove the train.I think the dress would look better without it because of the skirt.

I loved Margethe's outfit at this wedding from head to toe- the color of the coat- the floral of the dress underneath- perfection!:cool:

The queen looked splendidly regal.

I have such mixed feelings about Mary's wedding dress. The sketches promised so much but the execution, for me, failed miserably. So while I love the idea, only the sleeves translated beautifully from paper to real life. Personally, I think the dress would be remarkably improved if the top, especially the neckline, had been more well fitted, if the train had not been tacked on but perhaps followed the more traditional attachment of one that falls from the shoulders (very regal), if the panels of satin had been tacked down and the lace more protruding as per the sketches, and if the fullness of the skirt had been properly supported with a crinoline (or whatever the modern-day equivalent is).

This has to be one of the most color coordinated royal weddings! And I have divided thoughts. It certainly worked well (the floral arrangements at the church are probably my favorite) but on the other hand I wonder if was a little too matchy-matchy (the flowers, the carpet, the bridesmaid gowns, the flower girl dresses, the gowns of the queen and Alexandra, etc).

Last edited:
One of the best wedding dresses I have ever seen. And its ironic that Mary's hair and veil looked regal despite the fact that the tiara couldn't really be seen. Mary looked every bit the Princess on that day and it has only gotten better over the years.

Back
Top Bottom