Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson: May 14, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where is Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix?

Maryland... I was thinking you were talking about Australia there for a minute :lol: (one newspaper here said that some Danes are calling Australia Maryland).

Its really surprising reading the opinions about the dress. I absolutely loved the folds of the skirt and the veil over her hair (big bun and all!)... and I thought the top half was nice but not as nice as the bottom half. I also thought that the train was nice, but not as nice as the veil.

But wow! the colour!! Is everyone at least agreed that the colour was very very nice? ;)

I liked the dress very much, it was just such a sight to see her walk down the aisle, she looked so beautiful in it. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Just thought I would point something I came across by coincidence. I noticed that Mary started waving her bouquet after she left the church, and I thought this was a mistake, and that maybe she forgot that she should wave with her free hand. But it seems that Queen Ingrid also did the same on her wedding day! You can see this in the following images.

Also note that the lace veil that Queen Ingrid is wearing is the exact same one that Mary wore on her wedding day.

Queen Ingrid (then princess) on her wedding day, leaving the church:
http://www.nettyroyal.nl/images/ingrid1935.jpg

Crown Princess Mary on her wedding day, leaving the church:
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/05/15/untitled3,0.jpg

Originally posted by didem@May 17th, 2004 - 3:14 am
Prince Nikolai was in the wedding with his cousin Richard von Pfeil, son of Frederik's cousin Alexandra of Berleberg and her husband Friedrich von Pfeil. There are some Polfoto pictures of this in this thread.

Not sure where Felix was. Probably at home since he's too young to have participated in the wedding and may have been fussy and restless to attend the wedding.

Originally posted by Josefine@May 14th, 2004 - 9:44 am
the tiara

the dress
That picture of the detail of the tiara captured Mary at one of her many lovely moments. What a nice picture of her profile! :flower:

Originally posted by Alexandria+May 17th, 2004 - 8:09 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ May 17th, 2004 - 8:09 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-didem@May 17th, 2004 - 3:14 am
Prince Nikolai was in the wedding with his cousin Richard von Pfeil, son of Frederik's cousin Alexandra of Berleberg and her husband Friedrich von Pfeil. There are some Polfoto pictures of this in this thread.

Not sure where Felix was. Probably at home since he's too young to have participated in the wedding and may have been fussy and restless to attend the wedding. [/b][/quote]
Good for them for leaving him home!

Originally posted by wyldseraph@May 17th, 2004 - 5:44 am
Just thought I would point something I came across by coincidence. I noticed that Mary started waving her bouquet after she left the church, and I thought this was a mistake, and that maybe she forgot that she should wave with her free hand. But it seems that Queen Ingrid also did the same on her wedding day! You can see this in the following images.

That really is a coincidence, because it really looked as if she forgot to "change hands" :p

More Wedding Photos By Royal Press:
https://www.royalpress.nl/copenhagen2.html

May 17, 2004 - The Mercury Australia
Written By: Charles Waterhouse

Tassie's Danes Party On

Members of Tasmania's Danish community and others gathered yesterday for Hobart's last big celebration of the Danish royal wedding. About 100 guests gathered in the Hotel Grand Chancellor's Cove Restaurant for a buffet lunch. Hotel executive sous chef Roger Ryder said the food yesterday included pickled herrings, traditional salads, frikadeller (a pork and beef dish), traditional Danish wedding cake and apple cider cake, cherry cake and, naturally, Danish pastries.

Erna Eskildsen, of Bagdad, said the wedding had lived up to expectations and it was nice to see Crown Prince Frederik show the first tear in the church. "I think he looked really nervous," she said. Ms Eskildsen expected more business, particularly tourism, to flow to Tasmania as a result of the wedding. "I know there is a lot of interest from the Danish people to come down," she said. "Everybody wants to know about Tasmania." Her husband, Tommy, said the Tasmanian Government had not done enough to mark the wedding. "She [Crown Princess Mary] is Tasmanian and so why didn't the Government do more?" Mr Eskildsen said.

Svend Madsen, of New Town, said the wedding met his expectations and he also thought it was good to see Frederik show the first tear. Erik Madsen, of Blackmans Bay, described the wedding as fantastic for the Danish and for Tasmanians but was also disappointed by the State Government's efforts to mark the wedding. Michele Forsberg, of West Hobart, said Crown Princess Mary looked very elegant. Meanwhile, Liberal senator Guy Barnett urged the Hobart City Council and the State Government to explore sister city status with Copenhagen because of the natural development of a close relationship between Tasmania and the Danish city.

Senator Barnett said: "There is no reason why this international relationship can't be extended to other centres such as Launceston, Devonport and Burnie with regional centres in Denmark. "We should grasp with both hands this rare opportunity to further cement our emotional, historic and economic ties with Europe." Hobart Lord Mayor Rob Valentine said that at the suggestion of Ald Eric Hayes, the council had asked for a report considering what opportunities there may be for a sister city relationship. Local Government Minister Jim Cox said the Government would not tell councils what to do about sister cities.

Post Has Been Moved To:
https://www.lestribunesroyales.com/forums/i...=60#entry111893

Last edited by a moderator:
It's quite amazing to think that people in Australia with ties to Denmark mark the occasion with a celebration of their own. I think it is when you see something special from your homeland, you get a little homesick and would like to participate. Very nice of them :heart:

Thanks Chanel, that was a great post ;)

Did anyone else notice the change in HM the Queens voice when during her speech at the wedding she said: " og mormor Frederik..." (and grandmother Frederik...). That was such an emotional moment, when she talked of Queen Ingrid, cause you know how tight HRH the Crown Prince was with her. And it was really audible that HM the Queen was talking about something very personal, her voice changed a lot.

I absolutely loved the dress, it made her look so statuesque. And seeing her walk down the aisle was such a wow-moment.

I loved the way the church looked with the beautiful floral-decorations and the bridesmaids in matching dresses. It was clear to see that HM Queen Margrethe had been involved in the process. It was so co-ordinated and the colours of the flowers and the bridesmaids dresses was even present in HM's own dress. It was perfect.

I want to say congratulations to TRH and wish them much happiness!! HRH's speech to his lovely bride was beautiful!!!

I just saw Letiza's picture. She's a knockout! She looked absolutely fantastic! I expect her to be a beautiful bride just like Mary, who, I repeat , looked beautiful. :p

The crown prince's official website has the official wedding photos in a gallery now for downloading. They're very nice.

http://www.hkhkronprinsen.dk/99000c

Here's a copy of the large official group photo taken at Frederik and Mary's wedding from The World Roots Royal pages. It shows alot of detail.

Photo

May 18, 2004 - TV 2

Crown Prince Couple's Gifts Exhibited

The Danish population now gains the opportunity to see the wedding gifts given to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary. The gifts will be displayed on Christiansborg in two weeks. At the moment, the court's employees work round the clock to open and register all the gifts given to the couple. According the court's PR chief, Lis M. Frederiksen, the Crown Prince Couple have received many gifts. "The precise number will not be known until next week after all the gifts have been registered," she says. "The gifts are being unwrapped and registered as we speak. It's a lot of work because of the large number of gifts," Lis M. Frederiksen explains. When Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra were married in 1995, they received about 1000 gifts.

i was surprised when i read that some people didn't really like the dress. everyone i've talked to so far loved it.

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 18th, 2004 - 3:41 pm
May 18, 2004 - TV 2

Crown Prince Couple's Gifts Exhibited

The Danish population now gains the opportunity to see the wedding gifts given to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary. The gifts will be displayed on Christiansborg in two weeks. At the moment, the court's employees work round the clock to open and register all the gifts given to the couple. According the court's PR chief, Lis M. Frederiksen, the Crown Prince Couple have received many gifts. "The precise number will not be known until next week after all the gifts have been registered," she says. "The gifts are being unwrapped and registered as we speak. It's a lot of work because of the large number of gifts," Lis M. Frederiksen explains. When Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra were married in 1995, they received about 1000 gifts.
I believe that Danish television (DR1) plans a program from the exhibition, they have already shown many of the gifts in various programs. When the program airs it can be found at www.dr.dk

The dress will be on exhibition from thursday at Amalienborg-museet, the weddingdresses of HM Queen Margrethe, Queen Ingrid and Queen Alexandrine will also be displayed.

More pictures from the wedding and the wedding banquet and ball, May 14, 2004

A LARGE picture of the group photo including the Royal guests (you can see every detail of the guests and jewels)

The Royal guests lined up to watch the Crown Prince and Crown Prncess of Denmark walk by for the banquet

The Royal guests watching Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik pass at the banquet

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark arriving for the banquet (I wish we had a better picture of her necklace!!!)

The Crown Prince of Spain and his fiancee arriving for the wedding banquet

Princess Martha Louise of Norway arriving for the banquet

Prince Ernst of Hannover and his stunning wife Princess Caroline of Hannover and Monaco

A closeup of The Crown Princess of Sweden arriving for the banquet

The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of The Netherlands arriving for the wedding banquet

Martha Louise and Ari Behn again

The King and Queen of Norway arriving to the wedding banquet

The King and Queen of Sweden at the wedding banquet

A closeup of Princess Madeliene of Sweden arriving at the banquet

Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands and Queen Sofia of Spain arriving for the wedding banquet

View of Princess Mary arriving at her seat at the banquet following her wedding along with other royals

A closeup of Queen Silvia of Sweden outside the church

Prince Albert of Monaco leaving the church after the wedding

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark leaving the church

Alexandra and Joachim waving as they leave the church

The back and side of the Earl and Countess of Wessex as they leave the ceremony

Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard leaving the church

A closeup of Queen Margrethe and Crown Prince Frederick dancing at the ball

The next to marry (hopefully in as much splendour!!!)

May they live happily ever after!!!

Did Mary make a speech at the wedding? I have read the speeches by Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik and John Donaldson. Nothing from Mary or one of her sisters or her brother?

As far as I know she didn't. I don't believe it's traditional for the bride to make a speech at these weddings. Usually, I believe it's only the men that make the toasts. Well, in this case Margrethe did as well because she is the sovereign.

Originally posted by Theilmann@May 18th, 2004 - 6:48 pm
The dress will be on exhibition from thursday at Amalienborg-museet, the weddingdresses of HM Queen Margrethe, Queen Ingrid and Queen Alexandrine will also be displayed.
Where did you see that. On the television they only said that the gifts would be on display. ( TV2 nyhederne, so perhaps not surprizing if they didn't get the full story :lol: ) Will it be on display for long, cause I can't get to Cph. for some time.

Ok, maybe this is the little 'ol romantic coming out in me but the Danish royal wedding last week really made me smile. It was so wonderful to see the fairytale - girl meets prince, girl marries prince. But more than that, it was so wonderful to see a wedding between two people who so obviously love each other. Frederik's tears at the ceremony almost made ME cry! I also was really uplifted by the pictures and video of the Danish people coming out to show their support for Mary and Frederik. I will say that that's something I really miss being back here in the states. Americans don't often gather like that (I guess we don't have much reason to!).

Ok, I'm done being sappy now. Just thought I'd share. It's 5 days after the wedding and I'm still enchanted.... :heart:

Originally posted by holly*anja@May 19th, 2004 - 12:20 am
Frederik's tears at the ceremony almost made ME cry!
Well I spent most of the wedding handing out handkerchiefs :p

Just read on DR.DK that it's apparently unusual for Danes to wear the weddingring on the left hand as the couple does. Traditionally it should be worn on the right. Don't know why I'm writing this, just thought someone would like to know.

Originally posted by holly*anja@May 18th, 2004 - 11:20 pm
Frederik's tears at the ceremony almost made ME cry!
i got all emotional as well when i saw the tears in his eyes. but that was so beautiful and sweet. i wish both of them lots of love and happiness for the rest of their lives.

PLEASE can someone help me out. I live in the US and we get very few publications featuring European royals.....I always feel like I am missing out.

I would LOVE to be able to get some commemorative ROYAL WEDDING magazine, books, postcards, DVDs. If someone in Denmark is willing to pick up some things for me I would be thrilled - I am very reliable and honest and would pay for the items plus shipping plus a little something extra for your kindness. Perhaps send me a "PM" to let me know if you are willing. THANK YOU.

I apologize this post may look a little tacky, but I am dying for pictures and videos of this wedding. Please understand! :flower:

Back
Top Bottom