The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Nobility

Mr. Donaldson's Speech

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses, Distinguished Guests, Famliy and Friends,

In the 12th Century, the marauding Vikings were driven out of Scotland after much savage fighting by a band of men led by the grandfather of the first Donald the founder of the Clan MacDonald. He would have wondered why he went so much trouble when, some 8 centuries later, we take account of today's union between the Viking Frederik and Mary of the MacDonald Clan.

For almost 4 years, my wife, Susan, and I, have watched the relationship grow to full bloom, culminating in this magnificent occasion.

Mary made a reluctant entry into the world but ever since she has eagerly embraced its offerings. Growing up under the combined influences of her mother, Henrietta, and her grandmother Mary, she has grasped every opportunity to broaden her horizons and has developed into a wonderful woman with many fine attributes. Memories abound of the bonding between Mary and her mother, the daily tours on the backseat of a bicycle around Clear Lake City when we lived in Texas, the many early, very early, car journeys down to her first loves of her life, her horses in Tasmania and the myriad communications when she moved after her graduation from the University of Tasmania to Melbourne. Henrietta would have been so happy for Mary on this her special day.

Min datter er meget smuk, tres belle, not only, as is obvious, in appearance but in many other ways including how she cares for her family and friends and the manner in which she is approaching the exciting and exacting task that lie ahead. I am the proud father of a very loving daughter.

Although fathers these days have little say in such matters, It is with great pleasure and confidence that I entrust her to the care of Frederik, an intelligent, sporting, debonair, delightful young man - what more could a father-in law ask? To Frederik, velkommen to our family. I offer a verse for your reflection from the Scottish National bard, Robert Burns.

'To make a happy fireside clime
to little ones and wife
that is the true pathos and sublime
of human life.'

Your Majesties, your Royal Highnesses, friends, please join with me in a toast to the Bride and Groom wishing them a long and happy life together.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Nobility

Prince Frederik's Speech

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses, My Dear New Family

Dear John,

What a privilege, what a thrill, what an extraordinary feeling of happiness you have created in me. One might say that Mary also belongs to you - but as of today:

she belongs to me - and I belong to her.

But there is much more to that sentence than just words.

It signifies the end of a period of freedom, of trial and error, where accountability was up to me alone. The sentence also has another side which is only just beginning. To me it means responsibility, trust and sharing.

By allowing me to take Mary’s hand and lead her onwards in a new life for better and for worse, you have shown me that you trust me to be capable and responsible in that act throughout life - it’s called love. For that I am very grateful to you.

I love her and I will protect her with all my heart. I will do my best to make her feel confident and at home in her new country.

Dear Mary,

In the year 2000 in Sydney, 5 Olympic rings were united for the 25th time. Australia at that time was an unknown and undiscovered continent for me – symbolised aptly by the fifth and lowest Olympic ring. I found myself in an unknown country amongst happy, festive foreigners. My only luggage at that time was my high expectations of my visit, and a certain degree of confidence.

Almost 200 years earlier another Dane, called Jørgen Jürgensen, arrived under completely different circumstances, but with just as high hopes and just as much confidence. He left Sydney quite soon after and sailed to Tasmania – your own country – one of the states of Australia. Here he managed to create a reputation for himself which ultimately led to his death.

I had only been in Australia two days before our fates were sealed, even though neither of us was aware of it. But your radiance shone clearly for me from our very first meeting. Since then I have been blinded and totally dependent on it.

Until that moment in my life, I had been striving to achieve greater independence, without limiting any of my freedom. My opportunities were plentiful, and my world was often lonely.

But both were continually strengthened in time and in space because my curiosity and positive faith in the definitive, the ultimate, drove me onwards.

Then you walked into my world, and already much has happened. Now, there are two worlds – possibly even more - which from now on we will explore together, side by side. In light and darkness, in summer, autumn, winter and spring – always.

The joy and strength you give me is like the sun in the daytime which, with its radiance, melts all doubts and darkness on earth. And like the moon at night, you shine with a watchful and delicate beam of gentleness, which extinguishes the mischief and deceit used by the symbols of darkness.

I often like to compare the dawn’s light on a new day with the rebirth of the untouched, the inexperienced, and the innocent. A little naive perhaps - but nevertheless it is wonderful to pretend that everything begins anew. A new world is born again with the light of a new day.

This moment is “us” - the two of us – newly together, young together, innocent together, in love together – simply “together”.

You give me security, joy and happiness.

I am almost bubbling over with curiosity as to what the near and distant future has in store for us - and it is you who must answer.

But I will try to control myself, for two questions have already been answered with a simple “Yes” from us both. It is an answer which will hold good for us always. And if we need light in our search for answers, all we need to do is to lift our eyes and look towards heaven. There lies eternity, which can always show us the way back to the path which sometimes we lose.

I love you Mary. Come, let us go! Come, let us see!

Throughout a thousand worlds, weightless love awaits.

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses,

May I ask you all to rise, and join me in drinking a toast to my bride.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Commoner

I loved the way her eyes welled up while he was speaking. Now that's a romantic and moving speech!
Old 05-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Nobility

Are ther any pictures of little Nickoli during the wedding and does anyone have a lick so I can watch the wedding not just bits.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Aristocracy

Where can you hear the speeches?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Courtier

I was crying when I read it *sob* (where the hell is that crying icon :P ).

Some articles have said that you could tell that Fred and Mary were really in love (the bishop, Fred's cousins etc) but I really didn't think it was all that. Sure I thought they were in love, but not to the extent as that in the speech.

O my gosh, I'm going to read that speech over and over and over again! It's soooooo romantic!!!

:P
Old 05-14-2004, 11:07 PM
Aristocracy

Other people have done reviews. here's another:

Bride: 3 stars. The dress is a bit too busy. The train is a knock out!
Princess Mathilde: __.
Princess Madeleine: 2 stars (low for her&#33
Princess Alexia: 1 star.
Princess Maxima: 1 star.
Crown princess Victoria: 1 star (really low for her, she should take a look at how HM Queen Elizabeth and HRH Princess Margaret dressed when they were her age - they showed what they had and still looked regal and lovely rather than trampy.)
Alexandra: 2 to 3 stars. Gorgeous in purplish hues yet again!
Anne Marie: 3 stars. Lovely again! :flower:
Countess of Wessex: 1 star.
Queen Beatrix: 1 to 2 stars.
Queen Sofia: 2 to 3 stars. The gray dress and jewels were superb! :flower:
Grand Duchess Marie Theresa: 2 stars. She's had some difficulty finding a style that suits her, but recent pix show she's finding it. Way to go! :flower: :flower:
Marie Chantal: 3 stars. The gown and jewels are spectacular. But it looks trampy.
Princess Caroline: 1 star. She's been thrashed on GRE.
Princess Maxima: 2 stars.
Letizia Ortiz: 3 stars. Wow! Best dressed! She looks great in a gown and so regal. She needs to get out of pants more often!
Queen Silvia: __. I've raved about her in the past. This gown was so unlike her!
Infanta Cristina: 1 star. The green jacket diminished an otherwise splendid gown.
Princess Mette-Marit: __.
Queen Paola: 3 stars. Her gown and wrap were gorgeous!

There's lots of problems assessing a dressed lady from a few photos. I saw many pictures of the bride and thought her gown had no train(&#33. I also let subjective feelings come in. But hey, this is all about feelings!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Aristocracy

I just want to thank everyone who has posted pictures, speeches etc... unfortunately the coverage I watched last night in Australia wasn't great (I picked the wrong television channel to tape - drat!&#33 and we didn't get the reception or speeches etc.

The pictures are beautiful, the speeches magnificent (the Bridegroom's has me crying !&#33 and the thing I like the most... everyone is so happy. It looks like a REAL family wedding with everyone so pleased for the young couple and enjoying themselves. Not too formal, not too standing on protoccol, although I don't doubt there is much there.

It looks as if it was a fun wedding as much as a royal wedding can be fun! :)

Personally I adore Mary and think she can do no wrong (I'm not biased, much!!! LOL) ... I love the dress, the flowes etc etc etc.

THANK YOU again to everyone who has helped me to see so much of this happy event, I truly appreciate it.

trinny
Old 05-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Did anybody else see Mary throw the bouquet? I wish I knew who caught it. Anyway, right after that she and Frederik got into a car with the cans tied to the back. It was adorable.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

It was really nice to see Mary embracing the Queen and Prince Henrik on the balcony after the wedding. Being used to seeing the British weddings, where the Queen stands there practically surrounded by a force field that nobody can penetrate, it was a pleasant change to see a family acting like a family.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Gentry

Nice pics... thanks very much...

One question: In HRH Crown Princde Haakon wedding, in Oslo we didn't see any non-reigning royal guests (except the Greek ones).
- Why in these wedding we have the Infantes of Portugal and the Crown Princes of Italy, Bulgaria and Serbia?

But where are TM King Mihaï I and Queen Anna of Roumania? They are related to HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark... Queen Anne is daughter of HRH Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma, born HRH Princess Margrethe of Denmark... It would be nice to see the Roumanian Royal Family represented in Copenhagen... As well as royals from Jordan, Thailand, Brunei and Morocco... We are expecting the wedding of HRH Crown Prince Felipe of Spain in Madrid to see all these reigning and non-reigning royals together...
Old 05-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by micas@May 14th, 2004 - 6:04 pm
I can't see         
I lve in Portugal so is every1 guive a lot of importance to Filipe and Letizia wedding and forguet this. I just see a litle in the news.
This is not fair

I'm from Portugal and I share your opinion... But you have to see that Spain is most related to Portugal than Denmark... In a republican country TV channels showing a royal wedding from a distant country is not usual, I think... I had to watch this wedding on Euronews, TVE International and in CNN
Old 05-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@May 14th, 2004 - 8:44 pm
And the runner up in the fashion department goes to Caroline of Monaco. The black outfit, what was she thinking? Am I conservative in thinking that the old adage of not wearing black (for funerals) or white (to outstage the bride) still should hold true?
It was mentioned in an article about the Spanish wedding:

"protocol in a royal wedding

women's outfits.
what women should wear is specified in the invitation. for a wedding during the morning women should wear short skirt, avoiding large necklines and very short skirts. the ideal mesure of them is underneath the knees or above ankles. there are two forbiden colours: white (because of the bride) and black."

Now that could be because Spain is conservative in its traditions when it comes to royal matters. But I just think wearing black is depressing too for a wedding.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:21 AM
bluetortuga

Does anyone know where CP Frederik and CP Mary will be honeymooning? Will they be attending CP Felipe and Letizia's wedding on May 22nd in Spain? I didn't see any of the Jordanian royals on the guest list for Frederik and Mary's wedding. Will Frederik and Mary be attending P Hamzah,s wedding on the 27th.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Gentry

As it happened in Barcelona, in 1997, the British Royal Family was represented again only by HRH Prince Edward, this time with his wife HRH Sophie Rhys-Jones, Countess of Wessex.
We have to say this was a 'poor' representation of the British Royal House, comparing to other weddings of Crown Princes (like the ones of Belgium, Norway and the Netherlands).

Let's see next Saturday if HM Queen Elizabeth II will be present in La Almudena Cathedral, in Madrid with HRH Crown Prince Charles and HRH Prince William as some media are reporting... We hope so...
Old 05-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth never seems to go to other royal weddings or funerals, but other kings and queens turn up at British events. If she goes to the Spanish wedding, it'll look like a slap in the face to the Danes, since they didn't even rate the Prince of Wales turning up, never mind the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. Especially since the Spanish royals boycotted the Prince of Wales's wedding, and especially since the Defender of the Protestant faith would be showing up at a Catholic wedding after not showing up at a Protestant one.

I wonder if Tony Blair insisted that the Queen attend the Spanish wedding back when Aznar was still in power, as a way to show solidarity with the other major European country that had supported Bush over Iraq.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Commoner

What an amazing wedding!!!!
I have watched the wedding three times now and checked nearly every website with pictures of the day, and I am still in awe of how wonderful it all was.
Mary looked absolutely amazing, and Frederick was so in love and happy,his tears at the church & his speech were fantastic.
In my opinion best dressed royal guest was:
1. Letizia
2. Mette mariet
3. Marie Chantal
4. Maxima
Honourable mention to Queen Margarethe she looked lovely.
Thanks to everyone for all the great pictures of the dayand can't wait for next weeks wedding.
Nicole
Old 05-15-2004, 12:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspeth@May 15th, 2004 - 12:40 am
Queen Elizabeth never seems to go to other royal weddings or funerals, but other kings and queens turn up at British events. If she goes to the Spanish wedding, it'll look like a slap in the face to the Danes, since they didn't even rate the Prince of Wales turning up, never mind the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. Especially since the Spanish royals boycotted the Prince of Wales's wedding, and especially since the Defender of the Protestant faith would be showing up at a Catholic wedding after not showing up at a Protestant one.

I wonder if Tony Blair insisted that the Queen attend the Spanish wedding back when Aznar was still in power, as a way to show solidarity with the other major European country that had supported Bush over Iraq.
She sent the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester to the wedding of Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath back in 1976. The Duke and Duchess are fine people and he was 9th in the line at the time but considering the recent ties between the Mountbattens and the Bernadottes that was a snub.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by helleniki@May 15th, 2004 - 12:23 am
As it happened in Barcelona, in 1997, the British Royal Family was represented again only by HRH Prince Edward, this time with his wife HRH Sophie Rhys-Jones, Countess of Wessex. We have to say this was a 'poor' representation of the British Royal House, comparing to other weddings of Crown Princes (like the ones of Belgium, Norway and the Netherlands).
By the 1997 wedding in Barcelona, I presume that you mean Infanta Cristina's wedding to Inaki Urdangarin? Edward and Sophie were not married at this time; so Sophie could not have accompanied Edward to this wedding.

And I wouldn't say that it was a poor represesntion exactly. Cristina is third in line to the throne, not the future Queen of Spain. Edward, as the fourth child of the Queen of Great Britain was a fair representation, I would say.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:38 AM
Royal Highness

An article from Hello, emotional nuptial for Frederik and Mary.

Hello

Tags
copenhagen, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, mary, mary donaldson, wedding