Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson: May 14, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have they already cut the cake? I've been waiting for that for ages... The wedding waltz was beautiful, does anyone know which one it was? Is it a custom that they only dance a short while and the nthe people around start to close in?

The waltz was beautiful and the speeches were so touching. It is so romantic.

no one from Morocco and Jordan?

Marylanders, Virginians, and Washingtonians: BBC World News just showed a clip of the Danish royal wedding. You can probably see it again at 7pm.

I would like to see pics from reigning and non-reigning royals in the Cathedral.

Thanks in advance... The wedding was fantastic... All the ladies were beautiful and elegant... I loved to watch it on television...

Queen Margrethe's Speech

The day has come! – A day of happiness and celebration, which we have all looked forward to since the Engagement in October. Indeed, many will say that it has been much longer. Actually, as his parents, the Prince Consort and I have probably always looked forward to the day when our eldest son would stand before the altar together with his bride, and we would welcome her into our home, into our family and in our country.

Frederik, ever since you were very young, you have been surrounded by love and affection both in your family and throughout the country; but as Denmark’s Crown Prince you have also attracted much attention from an early age, that has not always been easy. However, over the years we have seen how you have developed, how you have matured, and how you have found your own place in life through solid work and by using the many qualities with which you are so richly endowed. You have a warm heart which strikes everyone who meets you. You inspire confidence. You are a person to rely on. Much of this is the result of your own efforts. However, we your parents, Papa and Mother, know very well how you have found your true self. That happened when you met Mary. It brought springtime into your heart, and everything blossomed around you, as we see season in full bloom on this day in May.

Mary, today all Denmark welcomes you with open arms, and your new family welcomes you with great joy. We have come to know you, and we have seen how your cheerful disposition graces your every act. You have met us, your new family and all your new countrymen, with warmth and great dignity. You too inspire confidence, around you too the Garden of Denmark is decked with flowers.

On this day of celebration, there are two people who are greatly missed: your mother, Mary, who we never came to know, and Mormor, your grandmother, Frederik, who did not live to see Mary come into your heart and into your country. On this day, these two as well as your French grandparents, Grand-Papa and Grand-Maman, will be in the thoughts of all who knew them, and I believe they would all have rejoiced at seeing your happiness, and would have appreciated your choice.

Mr. Donaldson,
This is a day of celebration in which we all share, but for you and for your family it is not without a note of sadness; for one person is greatly missed: Mary's mother, who we in Denmark shall never know, but who should have been at her daughter's side on this day of happiness.

No wonder if you and your family may feel a touch of apprehension; for it is also the day when your last and youngest daughter is leaving her family, as she has already left the country where she grew up, to settle very far away. Now she takes up a new and challenging life. Her new countrymen receive her with enthusiasm, not only as Crown Prince Frederik's bride but also for the qualities they already perceive in her. As we have come to know Mary we, her parents-in-law, have come to love and admire her. She has great inner strength and she exudes a calm warmth that inspires confidence. She has shown the courage to place her future life in Denmark, may we always be worthy of her trust. The Prince Consort and I welcome her into our family and in her new country.

Frederik and Mary, you face many challenging tasks. First of all you have a home to build together, and a life of your own; at the same time you are embarking on a life filled with demanding obligations, of that you are both well aware. It can be hard work, and it may feel lonely. That you know, Frederik, and Mary is aware of it. However, you have your youth, your great strength, your warm hearts and your courage; and you know how much pleasure may be derived from doing a good job, from doing something for others, from devoting all your strength to the service of your country – and from doing it with a smile.

Now is the season of flowers. All around you, there is great joy and happiness. But it will not always be summer. There are rainy days and rough weather, and in spite of fresh breezes, the Danish Garden may sometimes feel a little cramped, however lovely it may look. But tonight there are no bounds. For it is not only here at Fredensborg Palace that we are gathered around you. Throughout the country, in the Faroe Islands and in Greenland, indeed as far away as in Australia, your wedding is celebrated. Let us now bring together our thoughts in wishing you great happiness and unity in your lives and in your work - together and for Denmark.

I ask you all to join the Prince Consort and me in a toast to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.

THE BRIDE AND GROOM

Originally posted by Sean.~@May 14th, 2004 - 6:49 pm
Most amazing fireworks outside Frredensborg! Did any one else see them?
Yes, most excellent fireworks!

The speeches were endearing and lovely..so was the waltz :flower:

I can't see :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I lve in Portugal so is every1 guive a lot of importance to Filipe and Letizia wedding and forguet this. I just see a litle in the news.
This is not fair

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for posting them, Hatsumomo.

Some1 have the video??????????
And wear is the King of Sapain? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Did you notice how the Prince Consort in his speech paraphrased his own wedding speech to (the then) Crown Princess Margrethe in 1967? The whole flower-theme originated from his first ever speech in danish. (His wedding speech). The Queen picked up on the floral-theme. Coincidence?

To cd_1: I don't think anyone from those monarchies found it prudent to travel abroard with the way things are right now. ( I know that the Jordanian royal family is normally present at royal events in Denmark )

I missed watching the reception, but I saw pictures of them dancing. Those are probably my favorite pictures. I love the one of Mary kissing Fred on the cheek and the other one of Fred kissing Mary on the cheek. Sooooooo sweet.

Is there anywhere that you can catch a re-broadcast parts of the reception on the internet. It would be much appreciated if anyone knows. :)

I've noticed that on the "family group picture" were also included but some were missed out. With all due respect, Madame Chirac, the President of Finland, and the Crown Prince Haruhito of Japan were in the group photo but not Albert of Monaco or Laurent and Claire of Belgium. Any ideas? Thanks!

I did not see Queen Rania...How come?
she won't miss such ceremony where she can exhibit herself and her clothing, thing she always does :innocent:

Now that I've gotten to see most of the atire of the guests, I have some additional comments:

Letizia looked fabulous! The red colour and the hair were perfection!

Loved Alexandra of Berleberg's outfit. The colour was splendid and the jacket with the oversized flower to cover herself up for the church was beautiful, too.

Mette-Marit's outfit I originally thought looked a bit too conservative, but I think it was just the jacket that made it sort of look like a business suit. But I saw a picture of her with the jacket off and it looked a lot better. I felt the same way about Claire's outfit, although she had a bit more of a train on her dress than Mette-Marit's, but fabulous all the same.

Only Martha Louise could've pulled off her outfit. The cut was not different but the striped pattern was and she pulls it off with such pinache and style!

The ladies in pink: Marie Chantal, Maxima and Sophie looked ever so soft and feminine.

Anne Marie looked fabulous as usual. I have been so impressed with her wardrobe this past week at her nephew's wedding.

Sonja chose a wonderful colour for her dress.

Sofia looked elegant as always.

Paola's dress, especially the outer jacket had quite a dramatic flair to it, but the Queen carried it off quite well.

The fashion slip up had to go to Victoria of Sweden. She looked like a lemon popsicle.

And the runner up in the fashion department goes to Caroline of Monaco. The black outfit, what was she thinking? Am I conservative in thinking that the old adage of not wearing black (for funerals) or white (to outstage the bride) still should hold true?

I thought CP mary looked absolutely gorgeous today at her wedding. Her gown was simple yet elegant. And she carried herself like a queen. CP Frederik has made a good choice. I wish them all the happiness in the world. I love seeing this couple together. And from the way they interact with each I can see that they truly love each other.

I thought CP Mette-Marit and P. Martha Louise looked so dowdy today at CP Frederik and Mary Donaldson's wedding. I was truly disappointed, especially in Mette-Marit. I know they can both do better than that. I've seen better. But both Mette-Marit and Martha Louise need fashion consultants.

Originally posted by Alexandria@May 14th, 2004 - 8:44 pm

Letizia looked fabulous! The red colour and the hair were perfection!

Only Martha Louise could've pulled off her outfit. The cut was not different but the striped pattern was and she pulls it off with such pinache and style!

And the runner up in the fashion department goes to Caroline of Monaco. The black outfit, what was she thinking? Am I conservative in thinking that the old adage of not wearing black (for funerals) or white (to outstage the bride) still should hold true?

All very true. I noted one of the "commoners" wearing black coming into the cathedral at the beginning and I thought "You´re not supposed to wear black!" Then I saw Caroline and I could not believe it.

I would like to add Alexandra of Denmark. Always an elegant princess. And Princess Claire looked quite good, I thought. Elegant. Mathilde´s dress was probably the best. Only Märtha Louise indeed. A fashion icon! And Letizia did look good, but skinny, in her simply red gown.

I decided that I liked Mary's dress. At first I didn't like the bottom, but I think that it made an otherwise rather plain dress unique. However, I did not like her hair. I loved her new tiara and her veil, but I didn't like the way that she wore her hair up so high.

Prince Henrik's Speech

As I welcome our guests from near and far I do so in a spirit of joy. This is a significant day as our eldest son begins his life's journey together with the woman of his choice. A significant day as we sense the entire nation taking part in his resolution, a resolution of great importance not only for the future of the young couple but for all the nation.

Therefore it is a pleasure for the Queen and me to assemble members of our family, heads of state with strong family-ties and friendship, representatives of government and public life in Denmark as well as close friends from all over the world.

You are all most heartily welcome to this celebration. There is no doubt that the shining star of this beautiful day is you Mary, full of grace and charm. In finding the way to the heart of our beloved son, Frederik, you have followed your own heart as well as your instinct.

I have noticed from the first encounter with you, your reserve, your sense of duty that matches the strength and mastery of your feelings - these are important qualities in your coming life that opens its official gates to you on this happy day. Welcome in our family and in our hearts where you will always find a warm refuge if you need it.

We are happy to see you surrounded by your closest family and friends from far away who have chosen to be with you and to encourage you on this special day as you begin your new life in Denmark.

I bid a warm welcome to all our guests, close family, representatives of related royal houses, official representatives and friends from all four corners of the world.

On this joyous day in Denmark all who are gathered here around the newly-wed Crown Prince and Crown Princess rejoice with us in the choice of our son and join us in showing them their affection and in wishing them all happiness.

Lastly I want to tell you, Frederik, how happy I am for you on this day. I perceive in you the same joy that I felt on the day your mother and I exchanged our vows. From a distant island you bring a fresh and lovely flower to grace our Danish isles, I know that you possess the qualities to make that flower thrive and flourish here with us.

My warm congratulations to both of you and a hearty welcome to all.

Mr. Donaldson's Speech

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses, Distinguished Guests, Famliy and Friends,

In the 12th Century, the marauding Vikings were driven out of Scotland after much savage fighting by a band of men led by the grandfather of the first Donald the founder of the Clan MacDonald. He would have wondered why he went so much trouble when, some 8 centuries later, we take account of today's union between the Viking Frederik and Mary of the MacDonald Clan.

For almost 4 years, my wife, Susan, and I, have watched the relationship grow to full bloom, culminating in this magnificent occasion.

Mary made a reluctant entry into the world but ever since she has eagerly embraced its offerings. Growing up under the combined influences of her mother, Henrietta, and her grandmother Mary, she has grasped every opportunity to broaden her horizons and has developed into a wonderful woman with many fine attributes. Memories abound of the bonding between Mary and her mother, the daily tours on the backseat of a bicycle around Clear Lake City when we lived in Texas, the many early, very early, car journeys down to her first loves of her life, her horses in Tasmania and the myriad communications when she moved after her graduation from the University of Tasmania to Melbourne. Henrietta would have been so happy for Mary on this her special day.

Min datter er meget smuk, tres belle, not only, as is obvious, in appearance but in many other ways including how she cares for her family and friends and the manner in which she is approaching the exciting and exacting task that lie ahead. I am the proud father of a very loving daughter.

Although fathers these days have little say in such matters, It is with great pleasure and confidence that I entrust her to the care of Frederik, an intelligent, sporting, debonair, delightful young man - what more could a father-in law ask? To Frederik, velkommen to our family. I offer a verse for your reflection from the Scottish National bard, Robert Burns.

'To make a happy fireside clime
to little ones and wife
that is the true pathos and sublime
of human life.'

Your Majesties, your Royal Highnesses, friends, please join with me in a toast to the Bride and Groom wishing them a long and happy life together.

Prince Frederik's Speech

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses, My Dear New Family

Dear John,

What a privilege, what a thrill, what an extraordinary feeling of happiness you have created in me. One might say that Mary also belongs to you - but as of today:

she belongs to me - and I belong to her.

But there is much more to that sentence than just words.

It signifies the end of a period of freedom, of trial and error, where accountability was up to me alone. The sentence also has another side which is only just beginning. To me it means responsibility, trust and sharing.

By allowing me to take Mary’s hand and lead her onwards in a new life for better and for worse, you have shown me that you trust me to be capable and responsible in that act throughout life - it’s called love. For that I am very grateful to you.

I love her and I will protect her with all my heart. I will do my best to make her feel confident and at home in her new country.

Dear Mary,

In the year 2000 in Sydney, 5 Olympic rings were united for the 25th time. Australia at that time was an unknown and undiscovered continent for me – symbolised aptly by the fifth and lowest Olympic ring. I found myself in an unknown country amongst happy, festive foreigners. My only luggage at that time was my high expectations of my visit, and a certain degree of confidence.

Almost 200 years earlier another Dane, called Jørgen Jürgensen, arrived under completely different circumstances, but with just as high hopes and just as much confidence. He left Sydney quite soon after and sailed to Tasmania – your own country – one of the states of Australia. Here he managed to create a reputation for himself which ultimately led to his death.

I had only been in Australia two days before our fates were sealed, even though neither of us was aware of it. But your radiance shone clearly for me from our very first meeting. Since then I have been blinded and totally dependent on it.

Until that moment in my life, I had been striving to achieve greater independence, without limiting any of my freedom. My opportunities were plentiful, and my world was often lonely.

But both were continually strengthened in time and in space because my curiosity and positive faith in the definitive, the ultimate, drove me onwards.

Then you walked into my world, and already much has happened. Now, there are two worlds – possibly even more - which from now on we will explore together, side by side. In light and darkness, in summer, autumn, winter and spring – always.

The joy and strength you give me is like the sun in the daytime which, with its radiance, melts all doubts and darkness on earth. And like the moon at night, you shine with a watchful and delicate beam of gentleness, which extinguishes the mischief and deceit used by the symbols of darkness.

I often like to compare the dawn’s light on a new day with the rebirth of the untouched, the inexperienced, and the innocent. A little naive perhaps - but nevertheless it is wonderful to pretend that everything begins anew. A new world is born again with the light of a new day.

This moment is “us” - the two of us – newly together, young together, innocent together, in love together – simply “together”.

You give me security, joy and happiness.

I am almost bubbling over with curiosity as to what the near and distant future has in store for us - and it is you who must answer.

But I will try to control myself, for two questions have already been answered with a simple “Yes” from us both. It is an answer which will hold good for us always. And if we need light in our search for answers, all we need to do is to lift our eyes and look towards heaven. There lies eternity, which can always show us the way back to the path which sometimes we lose.

I love you Mary. Come, let us go! Come, let us see!

Throughout a thousand worlds, weightless love awaits.

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses,

May I ask you all to rise, and join me in drinking a toast to my bride.

I loved the way her eyes welled up while he was speaking. Now that's a romantic and moving speech!

Back
Top Bottom