The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2004, 03:46 AM
Courtier

Lol @ Royalviewer (i know the feeling ... i sometimes wish I had lots of time to reply to vindictive and ultimately inconsequential posts, but I know that it would be a waste of my time . I'd rather spend time writing inconsequential happy posts&#33.

Anyway! Can't be bothered with any of that now!

Regarding Mary's "I will always consider myself an Australian" comment, hmmm, perhaps it can/will be used against her later on, but I don't think so somehow. I think the Danes have been very very interested in Tasmania/Aust and seems to know that Australia means a lot to Mary. I actually think Mary would be losing a lot if she had to drop all Australian-ness, because that's part of her attractiveness to her new countrymen.

I think they will look at the way she acts, whether she looks like she really wants to fit in etc. Henrik said in an interview that he has considers himself fully Danish, but because of how he sometimes is (tantrum/ hiding in Caix etc) he still isn't the most popular. In any case Mary's view on this whole being Australian/Danish thing has already been explained by her in that book by Ninka... it's not a yet to be traversed ground.... it's already been covered and explained. I also think that Mary knows about the pull of two countries because her parents also went through that. I certainly think that John and Henrietta are excellent role models in juggling two allegiances, don't you think? They were Australians, but somehow, they were also Scots. And I think Mary will be the same in regards to being Australian/ Danish.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:19 AM
Commoner

^^ you've just scratched the surface there.

Due to the nature of Australia, with its roots firmly planted 25,000km away in the UK, there are millions of similar points of view. Ask anyone of the generation who migrated to Australia from the UK and they'll say they're Australia, but won't forget their UK roots. And likewise with the massive southern European migrant influx in the 50s and 60s, the same thing is evident, and I doubt much will change once the generations of South East Asian migrants gets to the same stage. In short, it's something instilled in the Australian psyche: you may be Australian, but you can't forget your heritage.

The example of Mary is just taking on a new spin, the concept is the same, the roles are reversed. And as I've said on here already, I still think it highly appropriate to give Mary AND Frederik honourary Australian titles, as with this quote of Mary has surfaced, it somewhat enforces the point I made that Australia's going to play a large role in BOTH their lives.

Why prolong the inevitable? They're going to be the next reigning Danish Monarchs, but you can't deny the other side of equation (hey, the Danish Royal family has spent a hell of a lot of time here, let's formalise it&#33.

HRH Frederik Crown Prince of Denmark, Duke of Tasmania,
HRH Mary Crown Princess of Denmark, Duchess of Tasmania.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Courtier

Does anyone have any information about the display of gifts received by Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary?? Neither does this non-Danish speaker :P

Here's some links of short articles that talk about the gifts.... in Danish. I think one of them mentions what CP Haakon and MM gave, what Q Beatrix gave, what the Belgians gave, etc: http://www.bt.dk/royalt/ .
Old 06-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Courtier

So cute! They received bikes... one with a baby seat already attached: http://i2.tv2.dk/gallery/gallery.php?id=94...bryllup&index=7
Old 06-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Here's a little bleep from The Scotsman about the gifts:

Royal gifts

THE Danish Crown Prince Frederik and his princess, Mary, will try to find good uses for all the 1,800 wedding presents they received, including eight wrist watches, five mobile phones, seven digital cameras and a fire extinguisher, a royal spokesman said yesterday,

The Scotsman Article
Old 06-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Nobility

http://www.goeckerprof.dk/evald1.gif

http://www.goeckerprof.dk/evald3.gif

http://www.goeckerprof.dk/evald2.gif

http://www.goeckerprof.dk/evald4.gif

some photos of the wedding shoot.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Courtier

I don't think so ausroyalfan.... Australia doesn't give out titles (I don't think we can - I haven't come across a law that says we can ).

However, one can buy titles. Apparently you can buy one for as cheap as 5,000 pounds.

But I think Fred and Mary can look forward to being "King and Queen of Denmark" so I don't think they're too fussed that they're not the Duke of Tasmania .
Old 06-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Jasl  Posted: Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:12 pm

I don't think so ausroyalfan.... Australia doesn't give out titles
I thought - Australians are still awarded "Sir" and so on ! Like, most of the Governor Generals of Australia are accorded this privilege. Sir John Howard, etc.

That suggests to me, that the Government of Australia forwards to England, requests of who should be honoured. And that means, Australia gives out titles !

Quote:
Fred ....the Duke of Tasmania
has a nice 'ring' to it. :P
Old 06-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:27 pm
I thought - Australians are still awarded "Sir" and so on ! Like, most of the Governor Generals of Australia are accorded this privilege. Sir John Howard, etc.
A law passed a few years back and ended the giving of titles. Those people who were awarded titles before this law came into affect can keep them.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Courtier

Oh no!!! There's no Sir John Howard!!! He's just Prime Minister Howard!

Though he would probably like one. :P

No, we don't give out titles here. And a good thing too, IMO (I think I'm a republican who like the idea of royalties... in other countries not my own!!! this probably explains why I like Mary )
Old 06-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Commoner

You know, she's had to give up a LOT for love. a LOT. BFD if she still considers herself aussie, she is HUMAN and overnight just because she says I do, doesn't mean that she has to strip all of her identity and what makes her who she is.

Some of the Danes need to lighten up. If if was Freddy marrying into mary's family if she was the aussie royal family, they'd all be pleased as pucnh he was saying he was still danish.

She may be married to the future danish head of state but she also has a past and a sense of self that isnt' totally danish and the danes bleeting upset about it on a messageboard need to learn that she's allowed some room cosnidering she has given up everything else.

So what if she said that, she's not lying its how she feels. SHe cant' totally just say she's danish if she's only livef there a little while and has only just gotten married. royalty or not. Its a huge enough task as it is having to wave and walk behind her husband and do all those boring things like hug or shake hands with annoying people.

Which one of them was being punished?
Old 06-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
timtonruben359  Posted: Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:41 pm

A law passed a few years back and ended the giving of titles. Those people who were awarded titles before this law came into affect can keep them.
what about the Governor Generals ?
- these illustrious personages - after all - are representatives of the Queen??
Old 06-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Courtier

O don't worry ews, I don't think the Danes are saying that. What posters (mostly non Danes) are saying is another matter of course, but I really don't think the Danes are criticising Mary.

Actually, some of the unfair things said about her is precisely because some people think the Danish press isn't giving an objective picture of Mary (i.e. its 'she's perfect this and that&#39.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by ews@Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:04 am
You know, she's had to give up a LOT for love. a LOT. BFD if she still considers herself aussie, she is HUMAN and overnight just because she says I do, doesn't mean that she has to strip all of her identity and what makes her who she is.

Some of the Danes need to lighten up. If if was Freddy marrying into mary's family if she was the aussie royal family, they'd all be pleased as pucnh he was saying he was still danish.

She may be married to the future danish head of state but she also has a past and a sense of self that isnt' totally danish and the danes bleeting upset about it on a messageboard need to learn that she's allowed some room cosnidering she has given up everything else.

So what if she said that, she's not lying its how she feels. SHe cant' totally just say she's danish if she's only livef there a little while and has only just gotten married. royalty or not. Its a huge enough task as it is having to wave and walk behind her husband and do all those boring things like hug or shake hands with annoying people.
Well said and I agree!! If I married a foreign royal, I couldn't forget I was an American overnight!!!
Old 06-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
tiaraprin  Posted: Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:09 am

If I married a foreign royal, I couldn't forget I was an American overnight!!!
That I find is a most unusual comment. Please explain ! :flower:
Old 06-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:05 am
Quote:
timtonruben359*  Posted: Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:41 pm

what about the Governor Generals ?
- these illustrious personages - after all - are representatives of the Queen??
We do have a constitutional monarchy and we still have the Queen of the UK as the head of state. The Governor General is the representative of the Queen in Australia.

But being a Governor General, well it's a position, like the Prime Ministership is a position, and doesn't mean that they were given a title. Though you're probably right in that our GG is called "Sir", I didn't know that/ or had forgotten it. But even if he is, I'm pretty sure that the "Sir" was not handed down by Australia, but through being appointed as her Majesty's representative (with consultation with the PM perhaps?).
Old 06-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Jasl  Posted: Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:15 am

We do have a constitutional monarchy and we still have the Queen of the UK as the head of state. The Governor General is the representative of the Queen in Australia.

But being a Governor General, well it's a position, like the Prime Ministership is a position, and doesn't mean that they were given a title. Though you're probably right in that our GG is called "Sir", I didn't know that/ or had forgotten it. But even if he is, I'm pretty sure that the "Sir" was not handed down by Australia, but through being appointed as her Majesty's representative (with consultation with the PM perhaps?).
.. I ask or check, because in Canada - where it is that I live - the Governor General (since the late 1950's?) is a civilian who is accorded no special titles from England. The title thing got abolished around then too. Mr. C. Black skipped this country because he was all incensed about that. Seems his luck as Lord Black has not augured well for him ...
Old 06-20-2004, 01:27 AM
Courtier

Serious? Yeah I imagine Prime Minister Howard might be of the same mind if he had been a "Lord" and that was stripped off him!

I really don't like highlighting the "colonial" past. I like the history etc, but not the controlled-by-another-nation thing that it involved. And can you imagine having Charles and Camilla on your coins??? I think it might just happen you know!!
Old 06-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Jasl  Posted: Jun 20th, 2004 - 12:27 am

And can you imagine having Charles ... on your coins???
The Queen is already on canadian coins. So, there's a new one, or two, who cares ..... pass me a beer please..............
Old 06-21-2004, 03:35 AM
Commoner

Of course Australia doesn't give out titles - it doesn't have the authority to, that would come from Elizabeth II on the advice of the Prime Minister. Betty does what's for the need, want or good of Australia / Canada / New Zealand and of course the UK.

Therein lies the point: After their first trip here you're almost guaranteed to see a massive surge in support of them and why not formalise the relationship - republicanism aside, it'd only honourary, they wouldn't inherit an estate or any of the perks they would if Denmark. Just a nice reflection upon half of the couple's heritage, and given good publicity: they can be used as guiding forces for cultural and economic trade between the two countries.

Little known fact: Denmark has one of the largest AFL leagues outside of Australia - and the Denmark national team regularly plays with the teams from the UK and Canada, and Denmark look to be one of biggest chances at the 2nd AFL International Cup.

This marraige is only just the beginning!

Tags
copenhagen, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, mary, mary donaldson, wedding