The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlightrhapsody+May 16th, 2004 - 11:29 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Moonlightrhapsody @ May 16th, 2004 - 11:29 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dennism@May 16th, 2004 - 1:35 am
One of the best parts of the wedding day was the waltz,&nbsp; Brudevalsen or Bridal Waltz, at the dinner ceremony. It was written by Niels Gade for the 1854 Ballet,&nbsp; A Folk Tale, which is about a nobleman who falls in love with a girl who was brought&nbsp; up by trolls. Anyway, it is a well-known waltz. And af this wedding as at the wedding of Joachim and Alexandra, the guests are placed into a heart around the dance floor. Then the bride and groom come out and while they are dancing, the guests slowly move closer and closer to the couple until they mess up or can not dance.

To hear a sample of this waltz, go to

http://www.mille-soeren.dk/11_Midi/0...rudevalsen.mid
I love that waltz! Thanks for the link Dennism! :flower: [/b][/quote]
You´re welcome. I am glad you like it.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@May 16th, 2004 - 11:33 pm
Saudi Imans perhaps but they are only a small part of the 1 billion strong that makes up the Muslim world community. And in sheer numbers, a minor one. Most Muslims and non-Muslims realize the gem that was Al-Andalus, Granada, Cordoba in world history and we´d be not too wrong to have such a time when the 3 monotheistic religions co-mingled and lived in relative harmony and created wonderful works of art, philosophy and architecture in this world again.
That has to be the most percipient post I have had the pleasure of reading. Thank you very much Dennism, you just made my day.

Old 05-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism+May 16th, 2004 - 10:33 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dennism &#064; May 16th, 2004 - 10:33 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette@May 16th, 2004 - 8:43 pm

That&#39;s a pretty ugly history, and Saudi Imams have not been shy in preaching their desire for Andalusia to return to Muslim control.
Saudi Imans perhaps but they are only a small part of the 1 billion strong that makes up the Muslim world community. And in sheer numbers, a minor one. Most Muslims and non-Muslims realize the gem that was Al-Andalus, Granada, Cordoba in world history and we´d be not too wrong to have such a time when the 3 monotheistic religions co-mingled and lived in relative harmony and created wonderful works of art, philosophy and architecture in this world again. [/b][/quote]
Agreed.
I did quite a bit of research on Islamic Spain for a paper I wrote about two years ago, couldn&#39;t believe that a society like that could exist at a time when the rest of Europe was languishing in the dark ages.
It was no utopia but in many ways more civilized and tolerant than many of the societies that exist today, both in the west and the east.

But thats beside the point, I am looking forward to seeing the members of middle eastern royalty at the Spanish wedding next week.
I wonder who&#39;ll be attending from the Jordanian royal family. It is a pretty high profile wedding so Im hoping to see Rania there, as well as Lalla Salma
Old 05-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlightrhapsody@May 16th, 2004 - 11:29 pm
Can anyone give me as much information about the composer, the piece, the play, or even another clip of it? I positively fell in love with it.
A little bit about the ballet.

http://www.kgl-teater.dk/dkt2002/bournonvi...n/folkesagn.htm

http://www.danceinsider.com/vignettes/v0926.html

To see photos from the production go to

http://www.kgl-teater.dk/dkt2002/Presserum...d_folkesagn.htm

The photos when maximized are huge. I saved one to my hard drive and it was 2 mgs.

"Queen´s Margrethe next major artistic project was the scenography for the production of August Bournonville&#39;s 1854 ballet Et Folkesagn (A Folk Tale) performed at The Royal Theatre in Copenhagen in 1991."

She also did the scenography for the production mentioned above in the links.

Some short bios on these pages of Niels Gade

http://www.dacapo-records.dk/?page=artist&id=1413&k=1

http://www.wqxr.com/cgi-bin/iowa/cla/learn...tml?record=3465

Also he was appointed kapellmeister to the Danish Royal court in 1876 and was eventually made Commander of the Order of Daneborg.

A full recording of the ballet can be bought

here
Old 05-17-2004, 01:04 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Queen of Portugal@May 16th, 2004 - 9:13 pm
does anyone know the address where they will be living or the address of the grooms parents?
They will be living in Frederik d. VIII&#39;s Palæ, Amalienborg, Copenhagen and Kancelli huset, Fredensborg Slot, Fredensborg. And Gråsten Slot in the south of Jutland where the late Queen Ingrid used to gather the entire family for summer holidays has been given to the Crown Prince, so they might spend their summers there. The grooms parents (HM the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort) live in Christian d. IX&#39;s Palæ, Amalienborg, Copenhagen and Fredensborg Slot, Fredensborg. (+ Chateau Caix in France and Marselisborg Slot in Århus)
Old 05-17-2004, 01:26 AM
Nobility

I thought she looked stunning. I thought her wedding dress was elegant but I didn&#39;t especially like the skirt. I would&#39;ve liked to see a bit of a simpler skirt. My jaw dropped when I saw the train. I absolutely loved it. It was of a perfect length for a princess&#39; dress.

I loved her veil and especially her earrings. I also liked the fact that she didn&#39;t go overboard with the makeup.

So two thumbs up for Mary and her dress&#33; :woot:
Old 05-17-2004, 01:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I cant believe there wasnt more coverage here in the states... any word on the reception...where is the honeymoon? What was her going away outfit like?
There was plenty of coverage in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@May 17th, 2004 - 12:40 am

But thats beside the point,
Yes, exactly.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:14 AM
Aristocracy

Where is Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix?
Old 05-17-2004, 03:53 AM
Courtier

Maryland... I was thinking you were talking about Australia there for a minute (one newspaper here said that some Danes are calling Australia Maryland).

Its really surprising reading the opinions about the dress. I absolutely loved the folds of the skirt and the veil over her hair (big bun and all&#33... and I thought the top half was nice but not as nice as the bottom half. I also thought that the train was nice, but not as nice as the veil.

But wow&#33; the colour&#33;&#33; Is everyone at least agreed that the colour was very very nice?
Old 05-17-2004, 03:55 AM
Commoner

I liked the dress very much, it was just such a sight to see her walk down the aisle, she looked so beautiful in it.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:44 AM
Commoner

Just thought I would point something I came across by coincidence. I noticed that Mary started waving her bouquet after she left the church, and I thought this was a mistake, and that maybe she forgot that she should wave with her free hand. But it seems that Queen Ingrid also did the same on her wedding day&#33; You can see this in the following images.

Also note that the lace veil that Queen Ingrid is wearing is the exact same one that Mary wore on her wedding day.

Queen Ingrid (then princess) on her wedding day, leaving the church:
http://www.nettyroyal.nl/images/ingrid1935.jpg

Crown Princess Mary on her wedding day, leaving the church:
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20...ntitled3,0.jpg
Old 05-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by didem@May 17th, 2004 - 3:14 am
Prince Nikolai was in the wedding with his cousin Richard von Pfeil, son of Frederik&#39;s cousin Alexandra of Berleberg and her husband Friedrich von Pfeil. There are some Polfoto pictures of this in this thread.

Not sure where Felix was. Probably at home since he&#39;s too young to have participated in the wedding and may have been fussy and restless to attend the wedding.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Josefine@May 14th, 2004 - 9:44 am
the tiara

the dress
That picture of the detail of the tiara captured Mary at one of her many lovely moments. What a nice picture of her profile&#33; :flower:
Old 05-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria+May 17th, 2004 - 8:09 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ May 17th, 2004 - 8:09 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-didem@May 17th, 2004 - 3:14 am
Prince Nikolai was in the wedding with his cousin Richard von Pfeil, son of Frederik&#39;s cousin Alexandra of Berleberg and her husband Friedrich von Pfeil. There are some Polfoto pictures of this in this thread.

Not sure where Felix was. Probably at home since he&#39;s too young to have participated in the wedding and may have been fussy and restless to attend the wedding. [/b][/quote]
Good for them for leaving him home&#33;
Old 05-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by wyldseraph@May 17th, 2004 - 5:44 am
Just thought I would point something I came across by coincidence. I noticed that Mary started waving her bouquet after she left the church, and I thought this was a mistake, and that maybe she forgot that she should wave with her free hand. But it seems that Queen Ingrid also did the same on her wedding day&#33; You can see this in the following images.

That really is a coincidence, because it really looked as if she forgot to "change hands" :P
Old 05-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Klaus Moller has some nice photos from the reception on his website. Here&#39;s one of my favorites.

Frederik and Mary

Here&#39;s a link to all the rest of the photos. Some of them are on the previous page.

Klaus Moller&#39;s Website
Old 05-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Nobility

More Wedding Photos By Royal Press:
http://www.royalpress.nl/copenhagen2.html
Old 05-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Nobility

May 17, 2004 - The Mercury Australia
Written By: Charles Waterhouse

Tassie&#39;s Danes Party On

Members of Tasmania&#39;s Danish community and others gathered yesterday for Hobart&#39;s last big celebration of the Danish royal wedding. About 100 guests gathered in the Hotel Grand Chancellor&#39;s Cove Restaurant for a buffet lunch. Hotel executive sous chef Roger Ryder said the food yesterday included pickled herrings, traditional salads, frikadeller (a pork and beef dish), traditional Danish wedding cake and apple cider cake, cherry cake and, naturally, Danish pastries.

Erna Eskildsen, of Bagdad, said the wedding had lived up to expectations and it was nice to see Crown Prince Frederik show the first tear in the church. "I think he looked really nervous," she said. Ms Eskildsen expected more business, particularly tourism, to flow to Tasmania as a result of the wedding. "I know there is a lot of interest from the Danish people to come down," she said. "Everybody wants to know about Tasmania." Her husband, Tommy, said the Tasmanian Government had not done enough to mark the wedding. "She [Crown Princess Mary] is Tasmanian and so why didn&#39;t the Government do more?" Mr Eskildsen said.

Svend Madsen, of New Town, said the wedding met his expectations and he also thought it was good to see Frederik show the first tear. Erik Madsen, of Blackmans Bay, described the wedding as fantastic for the Danish and for Tasmanians but was also disappointed by the State Government&#39;s efforts to mark the wedding. Michele Forsberg, of West Hobart, said Crown Princess Mary looked very elegant. Meanwhile, Liberal senator Guy Barnett urged the Hobart City Council and the State Government to explore sister city status with Copenhagen because of the natural development of a close relationship between Tasmania and the Danish city.

Senator Barnett said: "There is no reason why this international relationship can&#39;t be extended to other centres such as Launceston, Devonport and Burnie with regional centres in Denmark. "We should grasp with both hands this rare opportunity to further cement our emotional, historic and economic ties with Europe." Hobart Lord Mayor Rob Valentine said that at the suggestion of Ald Eric Hayes, the council had asked for a report considering what opportunities there may be for a sister city relationship. Local Government Minister Jim Cox said the Government would not tell councils what to do about sister cities.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Commoner

It&#39;s quite amazing to think that people in Australia with ties to Denmark mark the occasion with a celebration of their own. I think it is when you see something special from your homeland, you get a little homesick and would like to participate. Very nice of them

Tags
copenhagen, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, mary, mary donaldson, wedding