The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Courtier

I thought the dress was gorgeous. It layed so nicely; just kind of glided down to the floor. It was perfect for a princess. I liked the color of it too. I'm not much of a fan of bright, winter white wedding dresses. I prefer the candlelight look as this one gave.

Old 05-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Royal Highness

At first I did not like the dress, but it grew on me. I now think that it was beautiful. I really loved the sleeves. I read somewhere that they are called calla sleeves, because they open like the flower. I also liked that it was off the shoulder. I thought that was surprising, but I liked it. At first I didn't like the folds on the bottom of the dress, but it grew on me.

The one thing that I really did not like was Mary's hair. I loved the veil and the historical significance of it, and I loved her new tiara. I thought that her hair was horrible. I did not like the high bun. I think that it looked worse when you saw a long range view of her. My only petpeeve of her look.

Old 05-15-2004, 11:14 PM

Perfectly beautiful bride. The gown was lovely, very romantic. The tiara was just right. Desptie the wide choice of tiara's, most royal brides choose the less ornate on their wedding day. The right choice! I think her hair was exactly right. She needed to have a bit of volume at the top so that the tiara and veil could be "anchored". This isn't a bouffant viel, so it needs to be given a bit of height. It was a lovely frame for her. A very beautiful bride.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:25 PM

I loved the dress. Very beautiful. Great neckline and sleeves.
Sure, it was traditional, but nothing else would do in this connection.

Most importantly, it made Mary look like the crown princess she's about to become. So elegant and beautiful. :flower:
Old 05-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Aristocracy

I loved the dress and found it very beautiful.

I felt she looked very regal.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Commoner

She looked stunning a flawless bride! I think she has put many of the other royal & noble brides to shame! Many people have described her dress as simple but the construction of the dress was very complicated and intricate. She looked every inch a Princess and her gown will still look amazing in 50 years time!
Old 05-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness

Fred and Marys wedding had a little tid bit in my local newspaper here in Sacramento. The Sacramento Bee. I also found a tid bit in the San Francisco Chronicle. I will scan them over the next few days and let you see em...
Old 05-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

There was quite a bit of coverage of the Danish wedding in the Canadian media, especially considering that aside from the British royal family, news of other european royals doesnt generate much interest here. I think the longest news segment must've been around 3 or 4 minutes long. I thought it was quite a beautiful wedding. Mary's dress was gorgeous, with a somewhat medieval look to it. I thought that the way she wore her veil was quite unique too, it gave her almost a victorian look. I was surprised at the display of emotion, particularly from Frederik..it was so touching. So different from the way members of the British royal family act.
I did hear in the news coverage that Mary had to give up her Australian and British citizenships and convert to the Lutheran faith in order to marry Frederik. I always wonder how women can give up their country, faith, and careers in order to marry into royalty. I think its quite natural to wonder whether some of these women do it for love or for money and prestige.
But im glad that this doesn't appear to be the case with Mary. No one who saw her and Frederik together at the wedding could doubt that they adore each other. You could almost feel them struggling to restrain their affection for one another. I hope they have a wonderful marriage.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:16 AM
Gentry

Nice photos Dennism. Thank you.
The earing and ring are very beautifull
Old 05-16-2004, 01:56 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by alola@May 16th, 2004 - 1:16 am
Nice photos Dennism. Thank you.
The earing and ring are very beautifull
You´re welcome.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:00 AM
Gentry

Hi can anyone explain what are the role of the 2 gentlemen that always follow behind the Royal Couple? Why are they in different unifrom?
Old 05-16-2004, 02:35 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
One of the best parts of the wedding day was the waltz, Brudevalsen or Bridal Waltz, at the dinner ceremony. It was written by Niels Gade for the 1854 Ballet, A Folk Tale, which is about a nobleman who falls in love with a girl who was brought up by trolls. Anyway, it is a well-known waltz. And af this wedding as at the wedding of Joachim and Alexandra, the guests are placed into a heart around the dance floor. Then the bride and groom come out and while they are dancing, the guests slowly move closer and closer to the couple until they mess up or can not dance.

To hear a sample of this waltz, go to

http://www.mille-soeren.dk/11_Midi/0...rudevalsen.mid
Old 05-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Gentry

I am so very pleased about the lots of great pictures that have been sent. Thanks everybody! During watching the photo's I thought that Fred and Mary must be very populair all over the world, maybe even more than our W.A. and Maxima. The wedding has been photographed and broadcoasted in many countries of Europe. Well I mus admit royal weddings are selling!
Mary is such a classic beauty. She chose a lovely weddingdress for nowadays. I can imagine that this dress without the large train will be copied and weared by a lot of brides. It was a relatively simply dress but with her beauty it was great.
I wish Mary and Fred a long and happy life together and I will look after them on the site to see how their married life will be. Their children must be great with such goodlooking parents.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Gentry

About Madeleines dress: Is it about me or is she very often wear soft pink galadresses or pastel blue? I must say with her sunbrowned teint and her curled hair the pastel colours look pretty, but I prefer the more adult dresses and alternate looks of Maxima, Mathilde and Claire.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Royal Highness

I like to see Infanta Helena dress. That pink cape is terrible
Old 05-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Aristocracy

I loved the Wedding Dress. Mary looked every inch the Crown Princess, Beautiful!

Most important for me, according to the designer most of the input came from Mary.

Bravo Mary :flower:
Old 05-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I loved the neckline and the way the sleeves went on a diagonal across Mary's shoulders. And from the waist up I would say that the dress was absolute perfection. But I didn't care so much for the swag-look of the dress. It looked like the one major front flap might blow up and hit her in the face at any moment if there was enough wind! I found the swags too busy; I myself prefer simple cleaner lines in formal wear.

But the one part of Mary's dress from the waist down that looked great was the train. The pictures of it that I saw with Mary trailing down the aisle and posing before going on the balcony looked spectacular.

And her veil and tiara were great. I loved the combined look.

If I could've just removed those swags from Mary's dress, she would've made my top 5 royal brides list!
Old 05-16-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasl@May 15th, 2004 - 9:17 pm

But I would like your opinion about the dress. Here in Sydney, Alex Perry, a designer said that the wedding dress was "all hideous, really"
Alex Perry is a stuck up tart who's jealous he didn't get chosen to design it
she was beautiful!!!!!!
:flower:
GO THE AUSSIES!!
She was stunning. Is stunning. Love that gown. the colour gave her a transluscency (excuse the awful spelling&#33 and she glowed.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Aristocracy

We`ve all seen the pictures of the guests outside the church, but I haven´t seen pictures of the royals siting in the church yet :(
Also pictures of guests at the Banquet!
Please add some of those pictures
Old 05-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by DDD@May 16th, 2004 - 11:38 am
We`ve all seen the pictures of the guests outside the church, but I haven´t seen pictures of the royals siting in the church yet :(
Also pictures of guests at the Banquet!
Please add some of those pictures
There have actually been lots of pictures of the speeches and the reception, including some candids of the guests talking to one another before dinner was served or before the dancing began. In addition to the link Montecarlo nicely posted, if you go through this thread, about the last 6 pages of it are from the reception. If you have some patience and go through it you will surely find some of what you are looking for.

Tags
copenhagen, crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, mary, mary donaldson, wedding