The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:53 PM

Question About Meghan Markle's Acceptance...

I live in the United States and have followed the Royal Romance of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. Watched the wedding coverage yesterday. This is what I don't understand. Why is it that Meghan Markle was accepted so quickly into the Royal Family when it took Kate Middleton nearly ten years? Why wasn't Meghan Markle subjected to the same treatment Kate received? For instance, Meghan started receiving official security protection shortly after moving to London? Kate Middleton was left on her own. Why was Meghan allowed to make public appearances before the wedding with Harry? Why was she allowed to be seen publicly at Sandringham during Christmas? I don't recall Kate Middleton being allowed to be seen with the Royal Family during holidays. Why was Kate Middleton put down by some people because her family earned their wealth and Meghan Markle wasn't put down for coming from very humble beginnings?

The only thing I've been able to come up with on my own is that the Queen/The Firm are trying to make up for what they put Harry through at age 12...making him do that public walk behind his mother's coffin. Or is it because he is not heir to the thrown like William is? I am really confused about this because all we hear in the US is that the Royals follow strict protocols and do not easily break from traditions.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kate did do engagements with William between the engagement announcement and the wedding. She was accepted - first as a 'girlfriend from university' and then as a more and more serious girlfriend.

She wasn't at Sandringham before the wedding because she had family in the UK whereas Meghan would have had to either go home to her mother for Christmas or spend large parts of the day at say Anmer but not with Harry.

If Meghan had been British she would have been expected to spend that last Christmas as a single woman with her own family but when she decided not to go 'home' for that last Christmas then it made sense she would be with her fiance.

Fiancees have been accepted at a lot of family events in the past but as the majority have been British they have also spent time with their own families but from what the media have shown Meghan doesn't have much of a 'family' (what did Harry say about Christmas - something about the 'family she didn't have').

Old 05-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Land View Post
I live in the United States and have followed the Royal Romance of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. Watched the wedding coverage yesterday. This is what I don't understand. Why is it that Meghan Markle was accepted so quickly into the Royal Family when it took Kate Middleton nearly ten years? Why wasn't Meghan Markle subjected to the same treatment Kate received? For instance, Meghan started receiving official security protection shortly after moving to London? Kate Middleton was left on her own. Why was Meghan allowed to make public appearances before the wedding with Harry? Why was she allowed to be seen publicly at Sandringham during Christmas? I don't recall Kate Middleton being allowed to be seen with the Royal Family during holidays. Why was Kate Middleton put down by some people because her family earned their wealth and Meghan Markle wasn't put down for coming from very humble beginnings?

The only thing I've been able to come up with on my own is that the Queen/The Firm are trying to make up for what they put Harry through at age 12...making him do that public walk behind his mother's coffin. Or is it because he is not heir to the thrown like William is? I am really confused about this because all we hear in the US is that the Royals follow strict protocols and do not easily break from traditions.
I hope I can provide some answers for you. Lets break them down.

1. Why is it that Meghan Markle was accepted so quickly in to the Royal Family when it took Kate Middleton nearly ten years?

Simple. It was William and Kate themselves that chose to have a long courtship. It wasn't a matter of acceptance at all. They started out as just being friends at university and it grew from there.

2. Why wasn't Meghan Markle subjected to the same treatment Kate received? For instance, Meghan started receiving official security protection shortly after moving to London?

Meghan officially didn't get a RPO until she was engaged to Harry. If she had any kind of security beforehand, it would have been paid privately.

3. Why was Meghan allowed to make public appearances before the wedding with Harry? Why was she allowed to be seen publicly at Sandringham during Christmas?

Meghan and Harry made appearances after the engagement almost exactly along the lines of how William and Kate did after their engagement. Kate actually didn't attend Sandringham the Christmas before their wedding for the reason being that William didn't either. He chose to be on duty on Christmas so that the married men and women he worked with could be with their families.

4. Why was Kate Middleton put down by some people because her family earned their wealth and Meghan Markle wasn't put down for coming from very humble beginnings?

Both women actually had some very rabid detractors as soon as the engagement was announced. It was expected. Meghan had much more if you ask me especially coming from her own family.

I don't see the BRF/Firm treating Meghan any differently really than they treated Kate. Both women were very warmly welcomed into the family.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Majesty

my guess is that the level of scrutiny of kate was higher because she will be queen consort, whereas meghan will always remain the duchess of sussex. even for the open-minded brits, the thought of a queen who is american, divorced, and a star in a soap opera would have been a tough pill to swallow.

i wouldn't say kate was any less accepted than meghan - they just have different places in the pecking order and the allowances we/the BRF can do for each of these, whether conscious or not, are different. see for example even the generation before: lady diana was an aristocrat, whereas other brothers were allowed to marry less 'well' (sarah was a high-class professional but still a commoner, sophie also a commoner professional).

also i think the wedding of william paved the way. it is not uncommon in any family to hear of other sibling engagements shortly after one has married.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Land View Post

Unlike the posters above me, I see a slight difference in how Meghan and Kate were treated prior to the wedding. I don't see it in bad light, though, nor as making up anything to Harry. William was walking behind his mother's coffin too and wasn't that much older.

But I think it all comes down to circumstances - Kate and William were very young when they started dating and their relationship was a long one. She also attended a few events with William, like his graduation at Sandhurst. She is from the UK, she has a family here, so it's not like she would be sitting all alone somewhere if William didn't take her to Sandringham for Christmas. You can also say that the Middletons are more present in Kate's life than the families of other royal spouses.
And Meghan was put down too, a lot. There was the Dressgate from December, which I think it was the worst point. The only thing I actually see is the appearance by Meghan and Harry at the Invictus Games last year, because Kate and William - to my limited knowledge - never did anything like that.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:44 PM

Thank you all for responding. These questions have been going round and round in my mind ever since the engagement. As for Meghan's family (brother and sister) what a couple of really confused and messed up people. I suspect the sister will try to make a full time living off of disparaging Meghan which is very sad. I believe if the sister feels Meghan got more from their father than she did...then she should be angry with her father and not her own sister.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ava Land,

I echo the answer's given above, but would also add - The BRF , monolithic and slow moving as it may appear to some, DOES learn from experience, and is quite remarkably pragmatic.. which is how it has survived' in 'rude health' for nigh on these THOUSAND years...
Old 05-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Ava Land,

I echo the answer's given above, but would also add - The BRF , monolithic and slow moving as it may appear to some, DOES learn from experience, and is quite remarkably pragmatic.. which is how it has survived' in 'rude health' for nigh on these THOUSAND years...
Exactly! At one time the Habsburgs of Austria were considered to be the most prestigious royal family in Europe. Unlike the British Royal Family they didn't learn from experience and refused to evolve and where are they now?

God Bless the Pragmatic Queen!
Old 05-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Courtier

You've gotten several good answers here above. I would like to add one thing to the list: the question of children.

Meghan is 36, 37 in august. If they would have kept dating for several years, and not married until Meghan was 40 or more, the chances of having a big family - something that I understand that both of them want - would be close to none. I hope they will be able to have children since that's something they want, and if so, the first one is probably coming along pretty soon.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Closed for moderator review

Tags
kate middleton, meghan markle, royal family