Prince Harry Created Duke of Sussex: May 19, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry can't have liked it much, since Archie isn't using it..

Or could Archie be style as Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor if Harry does not like Earl of Dumbarton? Or is Harry and Meghan adamant on Archie not using any Courtesy titles/peerages at all?

I know that Archie is the eldest son of the Duke of Sussex. Had Harry remain Prince Henry of Wales, Archie would most likely to be style as Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor, similar to how Lord Frederick Windsor is styled (as the great-grandson of the sovereign through male line according to 1917's LP). Of course, if Harry & Meghan (as Duke and Duchess of Sussex) have more children, they will be style as Lord/Lady [First name] Mountbatten-Windsor, as the young children of the Duke.

Archie not being titled Earl of Dunbarton is not a snub, not a 'we dont like the title'. It was the choice of the couple that their son would simply be Master Archie as they wanted their son to have a private up bringing.

I would assume that if they have more children will be referred to in a similar way as their older brother is.

Whether Archie uses his titles later in life will be the question down the line.

Archie not being titled Earl of Dunbarton is not a snub, not a 'we dont like the title'. It was the choice of the couple that their son would simply be Master Archie as they wanted their son to have a private up bringing.

I would assume that if they have more children will be referred to in a similar way as their older brother is.

Whether Archie uses his titles later in life will be the question down the line.

We dont know why they chose not to use the title.. possibly becuase they didn't like it.. Possibly because when Archie was born they were ready to get out of full time royal life and didn't want him to have a title....

Seeing as how Harry told Jane Goodall (per her interview) Archie was not going to be raised as he was I would say they intend to raise him as The Wessex kids are, private citizens.

LaRae

Seeing as how Harry told Jane Goodall (per her interview) Archie was not going to be raised as he was I would say they intend to raise him as The Wessex kids are, private citizens.

LaRae

I agree with this. As Archie's parents are now private citizens, there's no reason to believe that Archie will be anything other than the same. Perhaps even as time passes and Archie marries and had kids etc, they'll become known as the American cadet branch of Mountbatten-Windsors or something similar. Still related to the Windsor line but removed from involvement in it.

Now if only Diana's great-great grandmother Frances Ellen Work's father was alive to see this.

"In 1880, she married the English-born James Boothby Burke Roche - the son of Irish politician Edmund Burke Roche, 1st Baron Fermoy.

Fannie's dad - the self-made millionaire - was not impressed.

"I am an American to my backbone," he said.

Sometimes things just seem to come full circle where it's least expected. :D

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42141518

Half American. He is still part of the queen's family and he's in the royal succession. It will take a few generations before that family become all American

Half American. He is still part of the queen's family and he's in the royal succession. It will take a few generations before that family become all American

Which is exactly what I said. I'll quote myself here. "Perhaps even as time passes and Archie marries and had kids etc, they'll become known as the American cadet branch of Mountbatten-Windsors or something similar. Still related to the Windsor line but removed from involvement in it." :D

His wife is and his son is half American. Not sure why this matters? Very unlikely to make a hill of beans to The Succession.

LaRae

It doesn't matter.. Im merely pointing out that at presnt the family are not "American".. They've lived there less than a year, Harry is British and still using his title.. and it will be a couple of generations before they slide into being an American family....

We dont know why they chose not to use the title.. possibly becuase they didn't like it.. Possibly because when Archie was born they were ready to get out of full time royal life and didn't want him to have a title....

I could see Meghan not liking the name "Dumbarton" but it is a secondary title of Harry. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if Archie uses his title later on and he automatically becomes a Prince when Charles is King.

It doesn't matter.. Im merely pointing out that at presnt the family are not "American".. They've lived there less than a year, Harry is British and still using his title.. and it will be a couple of generations before they slide into being an American family....

"American" is not an ethnic or national group. The American population is actually a mixture of people with many different ethnic backgrounds (often more than one per person).

"American" legally may refer, however, to a citizenship status. Archie is a US citizen and, in this sense, he is "American". Calling him "half American" doesn't make sense to me.

If anything, given that he is being raised in California, Archie will be culturally more American than British. Even the British tabloids were appalled to note that he already has an American accent, which was predictible anyway.

Last edited:
Archie is half American and half British. His father is British and Archie was born in London. He has dual citizenship, care of his mother Meghan. That doesn't make him American, nor does it guarantee that he will choose American citizenship as an adult.

Archie is half American and half British. His father is British and Archie was born in London. He has dual citizenship, care of his mother Meghan. That doesn't make him American, nor does it guarantee that he will choose American citizenship as an adult.

He doesn’t have to “choose” US citizenship. That is not how US law works. He will be a US citizen forever unless he publicly and officially renounces his citizenship ( as Boris Johnson did for example).

Under US law, Archie is actually a natural-born citizen of the United States and he is eligible to be elected POTUS upon reaching the munimum required constitutional age of 35.

Ethnically he is a mix of multiple backgrounds ( African, Irish, English, German, Greek, etc.), Legally he is a dual citizen of the US and the Uk ( neither half-American, nor half-British, which are terms that don’t make sense). . Culturally he will probably be a Californian as he grows up.

Last edited:
The simple mind of a child would solve this if asked. Archie would say "I'm not American. I'm not British. I'm ARCHIE!!" How many years do we think Archie has before he even starts thinking about this? :D

Yes, I typed it very quickly, and it should have read 'choose to keep his US citizenship as an adult'.

And there is no guarantee that Archie will decide to keep his dual citizenship after he becomes an adult. He could just as easily choose to be British only.

Last edited:
And Archie's nationality/culture/etc has nothing to do with the topic of this thread - Harry being granted the Duke of Sussex title.

Further posts will be removed. Should off-topic discussion continue, this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom