The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Dukedom will Prince Harry receive upon marriage?
Duke of Clarence 64 26.02%
Duke of Sussex 112 45.53%
Duke of Kendal 8 3.25%
Duke of Ross 8 3.25%
Duke of Hereford 6 2.44%
Duke of Windsor 13 5.28%
Duke of Buckingham 8 3.25%
Something 'New' (Please specify) 8 3.25%
An Earldom (Please specify) 4 1.63%
Nothing - he and Meghan will remain Prince and Princess Henry of Wales 9 3.66%
Other (Please specify) 6 2.44%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 02:44 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

It is likely that Queen Elizabeth will bestow Prince Harry a Dukedom upon his marriage next year.

What do you think it will be?
Happy guessing!

Old 11-27-2017, 07:00 AM

Will she be Rachel or Meghan?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 AM
Majesty

I would think, in formal situations they will use both her names.

LaRae
Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There are quite a few extinct dukedoms ,though these 5 are my favourites,I guess we won't know until the day of the wedding as with William/Kate.

Duke of Exeter
Duke of Buckingham
Duke of Suffolk
Duke of Surrey
Duke of Clarence
Old 11-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Please not Clarence! Such a sad history. I do like Sussex.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, me too.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I have a feeling it will be Duke of Sussex, which I am not a big fan of due to the similarity to Wessex, but I guess the Wessex couple will be the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh in the next 10 years anyway.

I like the sound of Clarence but the history attached to it isn't great.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

I like Clearance better. I know some are wary of the bad history, but it’s time to make new memories.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Majesty

Most all of the titles have some bad history. Doesn't matter really. I just hope it's not one that ends in 'ex'.

LaRae
Old 11-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Nobility

Duke of Sussex and Ross would be my guess.

Unlike William, whose Cambridge title will be supplemented by the titles of Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay and Prince of Wales in due course (in the normal scheme of things), what Harry gets now will be what he'll keep for life. Given the divisions within the UK, I imagine he'll get both an English and a Scottish dukedom/ or at least a Scottish earldom (plus a minor Northern Irish title).

If it's not Sussex, I'd say Clarence is most likely.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Royal Highness

His uncles didn't get two dukedoms (Edward in fact is still waiting for his); so I don't see why Harry would get them. Most likely he will get three titles just like his brother and uncle Andrew of which one will be a dukedom.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Serene Highness

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Edward turn down a dukedom in favor of being an Earl.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

My money's on Sussex...
Old 11-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Edward turn down a dukedom in favor of being an Earl.
Edward didn't turn down a dukedom. The plan is when the Duke of Edinburgh title merges back into the Crown (when Philip passes), the title will be recreated and given to Edward. This was announced at the time of his wedding
Old 11-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Majesty

When Philip dies Charles inherits the dukedom. It’s only when Charles becomes king does it merge with Crown
Old 11-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
When Philip dies Charles inherits the dukedom. It’s only when Charles becomes king does it merge with Crown
Can Charles renounce the title and have it become available? Of course, I don't think the decision has been made as it's fluid situation depending on what happens.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Can Charles renounce the title and have it become available? Of course, I don't think the decision has been made as it's fluid situation depending on what happens.

No. If Charles renounced it, it would simply be not used by anyone until Charles dies (or becomes King and it’s merged with the crown).

Even if Charles could renounce it, Edward is not the next in the succession to it; the succession to the DoE is Charles, William, George, Harry, Andrew, then Edward.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Why sad story? I suppose there were many Dukes of Clarence, what happened to them?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

The title was first granted to Lionel of Antwerp, the second son of King Edward III, in 1362. Since he died without sons, the title became extinct. The title was again created in favour of Thomas of Lancaster, the second son of King Henry IV, in 1412. Upon his death, too, the title became extinct. The last creation in the Peerage of England was for George Plantagenet, brother of King Edward IV, in 1461. The Duke forfeited his title in 1478, after he had been convicted of treason against his brother. He allegedly met his end (according to William Shakespeare) by being drowned in a butt of Malmsey.

A fourth creation in England was suggested and planned to take effect; the title of Duke of Clarence was going to be given to Lord Guilford Dudley, husband of Lady Jane Grey, upon her coronation, as she declined to make her husband king consort. However, she was deposed and executed before this could take effect.

Two double dukedoms, of Clarence and St Andrews and of Clarence and Avondale, were later created for British royal princes. The title also took the form of an earldom for Queen Victoria's son Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, and his son Prince Charles Edward, the Clarence earldom being a subsidiary title. Prince Leopold died of Haemophilia aged 30, and Charles Edward was deprived of his English Titles in 1917, as a result of WW1.

NOT a happy tale..
Old 11-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Royal Highness

I don't know the terms upon which Philip was created Duke of Edinburgh but is it possible it is not inheritable and ends with his death and therefore Her Majesty can recreate it for Edward at that time?
Because the stories have been fairly clear than Edward will be made Duke of Edinburgh when his father passes.

Anyway, that is off topic from Harry's future title. Sussex seems to be the front runner.

Closed Thread