The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 8 3.88%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 2.43%
Papyrus Tiara 14 6.80%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 7 3.40%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 4 1.94%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 7 3.40%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 43 20.87%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 3 1.46%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 33 16.02%
Teck Crescent Tiara 14 6.80%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 11 5.34%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 9 4.37%
Antique tiara acquired for her 9 4.37%
New tiara created for her 26 12.62%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 13 6.31%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Look at this beautiful photoshopped idea for a re-design of the tiara - it looks like it's the same jewels and metal, just with the crescents rotated 90 degrees.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/70/21/23/7...56d2966cc8.jpg
Absolutely stunning! There is still plenty of hope for the Strathmore Rose Tiara!

Old 02-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
I like it too but isn't it a redesign of the Teck Crescent without the centerpiece?
Yes, it is a photoshopped image of the Teck Crescent with the center flower gone and the crescents turned 90 degrees someone posted online. I think it's lovely.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Look at this beautiful photoshopped idea for a re-design of the tiara - it looks like it's the same jewels and metal, just with the crescents rotated 90 degrees.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/70/21/23/7...56d2966cc8.jpg
Interesting re-do of an old tiara- wrong tiara though. That is the teck crescent.

The suggestion was to remake the Strathmore

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Strathmore Rose

The only way I see Meghan in the rose is if it is good enough shape to be worn. Or the repairs are simple.

If they are going to remake/make new tiara, I expect a new design. Or one bought from auction. I don't see anyone going to the cost of recreating the rose.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:29 AM
Majesty

Oh hell! The barbarians are at the gates. That tiara is a thing of beauty!
I'm glad I have a very secret tiara hope I'd love to see Meghan wear for her her wedding.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:31 AM
Nobility

Noooo just don't touch the Teck Crescent. It's beautiful enough.

The Strathmore Rose, if it is totally unwearable, either put it into museum or break it into small jewels (maybe the roses as a brooch or earrings) or use the gemstone to make a new design. Unless the original piece is lost/stolen (like Q Maud's Pearl of Norway), I don't think it's a good idea to make an exactly same replica to replace the original piece.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
That is the beauty I was thinking of. It was made so you can have the crescents facing forward or backwards, any other messing around is vandalism.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:

The Strathmore Rose, if it is totally unwearable, either put it into museum or break it into small jewels (maybe the roses as a brooch or earrings) or use the gemstone to make a new design. Unless the original piece is lost/stolen (like Q Maud's Pearl of Norway), I don't think it's a good idea to make an exactly same replica to replace the original piece.
Pray why don't you think it is a good idea to recreate the Strathmore Rose tiara as itself, if required?
Old 03-01-2018, 11:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Pray why don't you think it is a good idea to recreate the Strathmore Rose tiara as itself, if required?
Like some poster said, I think making a replica it's a waste of money. What makes a tiara fascinating is its beauty and its history. A recreated piece just loses its uniqueness, or it's unique only because of the original piece, in my eyes is just a copy, it's weird to have two exact same pieces, and wear a copy in any event.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Like some poster said, I think making a replica it's a waste of money. What makes a tiara fascinating is its beauty and its history. A recreated piece just loses its uniqueness, or it's unique only because of the original piece, in my eyes is just a copy, it's weird to have two exact same pieces, and wear a copy in any event.
Not sure you understood point. Tiaras often have to be remade of the frame has had some damage. The GDV tiara was remade for QE2 not too long ago. Similarly, if the Strathmore is too fragile too use, no harm in it being remade so bit can be used.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Tiaras often have to be remade of the frame has had some damage.
And not just Tiara's ! It has been calculated that not a single STONE of Notre Dame de Paris is 'original'.. over the centuries it has been remade [in it's original image], as repairs demand..
Old 03-02-2018, 07:02 AM
Majesty

Having a tiara repaired is not the same has having it remade or replicated.

LaRae
Old 03-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

How would a tiara be replicated?
Old 03-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Majesty

A copy made by a jeweler.

LaRae
Old 03-03-2018, 12:29 AM
Nobility

GDV's case (to put the stones on a new frame) is a kind of repair to me. CyrilVladisla's idea is to make an exact copy so I assume it is to recreate the Strathmore Rose by making another replica (new stones and material, without using anything from the original).
Old 03-03-2018, 02:06 AM
Majesty

Unfortunately, you may be able to create a reasonable facsimile but it would be a lost art to recreate old such an antique and finding the diamonds of the right cut would be a mission.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:49 AM
Majesty

Not that I think they would go to the expense, but not sure why they would totally recreate it. Its not as if the tiara is missing. They could simply make a new base for the tiara and use the gems and pieces which are still in tact.

There have been replicas done with some success. But those were done for tiaras that are actually gone. Both the Norweigans (Maude's pearl and diamond tiara is a replica made by Gerrards when the original was stolen when the jewelers had the original to clean. They had created the first one) and the Brits (the lovers knot) have a replica. One because it was stolen and the other because it passed out of the family. Neither had the option to reuse the original or repair it.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

tiara ||| sotheby's l18050lot9qf8xen

This tiara will be auctioned on March 20.
It's very pretty, and I think it would suit Meghan.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Majesty

I've seen a couple of nice pearl and diamond tiaras for auction I think she would be gorgeous in!

LaRae
Old 03-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Commoner

I am rooting for this one: Reader Mailbag: The Queen Mother's Bandeau | The Court Jeweller

Closed Thread