The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 8 3.88%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 2.43%
Papyrus Tiara 14 6.80%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 7 3.40%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 4 1.94%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 7 3.40%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 43 20.87%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 3 1.46%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 33 16.02%
Teck Crescent Tiara 14 6.80%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 11 5.34%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 9 4.37%
Antique tiara acquired for her 9 4.37%
New tiara created for her 26 12.62%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 13 6.31%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Majesty

I really hope they just find an old classic tiara being sold and snap it up if they decide to not go with loaning her one of the existing ones in the vaults.

LaRae

Old 12-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
I wonder if there's any of Queen Alexandra's tiaras tucked away in a vault somewhere that could be reworked or reinvented for Meghan to use?
Which of Queen Alexandra's tiaras might there be?

Old 12-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Majesty

The only tiaras I am aware of, beyond her fringe, were the Rundell (which while other pieces of the collection are still in use, the tiara no longer exists), an amethyst tiara and a sapphire tiara (both which seemed to have passed to granddaughters out of the mainline and were sold in auction).
Old 12-28-2017, 02:50 PM
Majesty

Cyril here is an link where you can see some of the family tiaras:

More British Royal Tiaras - The Tudors Wiki
Old 12-28-2017, 02:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The only tiaras I am aware of, beyond her fringe, were the Rundell (which while other pieces of the collection are still in use, the tiara no longer exists), an amethyst tiara and a sapphire tiara (both which seemed to have passed to granddaughters out of the mainline and were sold in auction).
That one made by Garrard, called a Kokoshnick is one associated with Queen Alexandra...

LaRae
Old 12-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
That one made by Garrard, called a Kokoshnick is one associated with Queen Alexandra...

LaRae
Its what I was referring to when I said 'beyond the fringe' as to me it seems more fringe then kokoshnik. I guess I should have used a better term.

I just meant beyond the 'known' tiaras that are currently in use. The original OP suggested there may be some of Alexandra's tiaras in the vault that haven't been seen in decades. the Kokoshnik/fringe doesn't meet that requirement.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Majesty

I can't even find other tiaras associated with Alexandra besides this one?

LaRae
Old 12-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I can't even find other tiaras associated with Alexandra besides this one?

LaRae
The ones I mentioned, a sapphire one and an amethyst one (sapphire seemed to have been a collette actually but was put on a base at some point), and the Rundell were wedding gifts to Alexandra. That is why I can find a link to them. But they seemed to have passed to junior branches and eventually auctioned. The Rundell we only know doesn't exist anymore because of a book on the queen's jewels that was done.

It just seems perhaps posters think since Alexandra was considered a bit of a magpie when it came to jewels, she had other pieces???
Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Majesty

Yeah maybe so (magpie) but at her death she must of either left them to family who later disposed of them or gotten rid of them before her death...I'm guessing most of them were left to family and later disposed of.

LaRae
Old 12-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yeah maybe so (magpie) but at her death she must of either left them to family who later disposed of them or gotten rid of them before her death...I'm guessing most of them were left to family and later disposed of.

LaRae
Most of her pieces were said to be left to Mary, including her wedding gifts. But many of them ended up with other grandchildren, and saw the auction block. There may be some unseen Alexandra jewels in the queen's collection, but any tiaras I have never heard of but the ones I mentioned. I guess maybe one of her necklaces could be transformed.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Everyone keeps talking about the Lozenge Tiara yet no royal lady has agreed to wear it for many decades. It's not that special. It's a mutt. Just a graceless bandeau of clumsily arranged diamonds.

It's a barker! Move on and select something with more elan.

Like what?

I have only seen images of the Lozenge and it looked amazing. I have never seen it up close to see the clumsily arranged diamonds. Do you have a link to an image showing this? I would like to see it.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:57 PM
Majesty

https://royal-magazin.de/england/queen-mary-tiara.htm Scroll down, Margaret is wearing it.

This is no clumsily arranged diamond tiara. It's gorgeous.

LaRae
Old 12-29-2017, 12:01 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I really hope they just find an old classic tiara being sold and snap it up if they decide to not go with loaning her one of the existing ones in the vaults.

LaRae

Agreed but unfortunately with the current political climate, I can't imagine that the tax payers will be cool be with an American Divorcee getting a bejewelled headpiece for her wedding...even if it is being funded by the Duchy of Cornwall and not the taxpayers.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:04 AM
Majesty

IMO the most likely (and probably smartest) situation is for Meghan to wear one of the tiaras in the vaults. They Royals only have 3 or 4 tiara events a year ...she doesn't *need* a tiara and as their future descendants pass out of even being royal what are they going to need a tiara for?

LaRae
Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc View Post
Agreed but unfortunately with the current political climate, I can't imagine that the tax payers will be cool be with an American Divorcee getting a bejewelled headpiece for her wedding...even if it is being funded by the Duchy of Cornwall and not the taxpayers.
I disagree. Should she get a new, bejeweled tiara (even one with stones with provenance), it will be seen as a gift to the newest member of the British royal family. Once she says "I will", she is no longer a divorcee and will be a senior member of the British royal family and be expected to work for the UK and the "Firm".

Politics have absolutely nothing to do with it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-29-2017, 12:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
IMO the most likely (and probably smartest) situation is for Meghan to wear one of the tiaras in the vaults. They Royals only have 3 or 4 tiara events a year ...she doesn't *need* a tiara and as their future descendants pass out of even being royal what are they going to need a tiara for?

LaRae
The only descendents likely to need ones would be their kids possibly. And a daughter could easily be loaned one by their uncle or cousin. Their grandchildren and on are not likely to ever attend an event. Wearing a tiara for a wedding is not reason enough to buy a new piece.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc View Post
While I completely welcome a new piece, realistically I don't think taxpayers would be happy to see any newly purchased tiaras appear on any ladies' head, unless it's a gift from certain society (e.g. Anne's Festoon, or Mathilde's Laurel Wreath), but I doubt that it would happen in UK.

(btw I think even the money from Cornwall is also from taxpayers? I'm not sure about that.)
Old 12-29-2017, 02:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
While I completely welcome a new piece, realistically I don't think taxpayers would be happy to see any newly purchased tiaras appear on any ladies' head, unless it's a gift from certain society (e.g. Anne's Festoon, or Mathilde's Laurel Wreath), but I doubt that it would happen in UK.

(btw I think even the money from Cornwall is also from taxpayers? I'm not sure about that.)
Not at all. The Duchy of Cornwall, which was established by the 'black prince' for his eldest son, gets its wealth from land. The duchy owns 531 square km of land in the UK. The land is tenanted out for the most part, which is where the income comes from. It was established to offer continued income for the heir. As of 2011, the income goes to the heir, even if the heir is not also duke (if Charlotte was the oldest child, she would not be duchess of Cornwall as it goes to a son. But she would still be entitled to the income when her father is king).

But agreed, the days when a community group or association would give a British royal a tiara are over. And if it was a big corporation, who might seem to see the benefit, it would likely be viewed as buying favor.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:41 AM
Courtier

It's not entirely beyond consideration that one or two extremely wealthy Americans who have now made the UK their home might 'gift' a smallish, relatively inexpensive tiara to Meghan as a symbol of the so-called 'special relationship' between the two countries and the two individuals tying the knot. Unlikely I'm sure but not impossible.

Tiaras can be purchased relatively cheaply at auctions - look at that one Mary of Denmark bought for herself. It's underwhelming sure, but it does a job and it only cost around 10,000 Euros or something?

Meghan could wear a nice new tiara and all the Palace has to say is that it was a wedding gift - they don't need to elaborate on who bought it for her. We have no idea who bought Kate most of her jewels.

Personally I think it's most likely she won't wear a tiara at all - maybe some sort of 'boho chic' head ornament (like this maybe) or flowers.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Majesty

Spare me from anything 'boho chic'

LaRae

Closed Thread