The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Meghan Markle wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 8 3.88%
Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara 5 2.43%
Papyrus Tiara 14 6.80%
Queen Mary's Filigree Bandeau 7 3.40%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 4 1.94%
Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara 7 3.40%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 43 20.87%
Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau 3 1.46%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 33 16.02%
Teck Crescent Tiara 14 6.80%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 11 5.34%
Tiara created from other royal jewels (e.g. a converted necklace), please specify 9 4.37%
Antique tiara acquired for her 9 4.37%
New tiara created for her 26 12.62%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.) 13 6.31%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Here’s a thought How about she knows she doesn’t want to wear a tiara and is offered one by HM, I doubt she’d say no thanks.
I think it's a given that the Queen will offer Meghan a tiara, the only reason I don't see her doing that is if Meghan and Harry preemptively make it known they are going in another direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
No, she needs a recognizable British Royal Family tiara, otherwise, it sends out signals of low expectations. The family and palace staff know how this will play out, and I suspect they are rooting for her to acquire a known tiara. It's easier all around for them ...and her. For her to wear something other than one of HM's tiaras sends an ominous and unpleasant message, intended or not.
While I am hoping Meghan wears the Spencer Tiara, I think the odds are she will wear a tiara provided by her future grandmother-in-law. However if she goes a different route, of course it will be discussed, but I think the number who sees this as "an ominous and unpleasant message" or signal is quite small and I don't see the royal family and its courtiers making decisions or getting worked up over how this smattering will respond.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Courtier

Well Queen Claude, reading all the posts hoping and wondering, some of us will be happy we guessed right!

Old 12-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Majesty

I think there are 2 types of guesses we can rule out:

1. queen's tiaras (ones only she wears) or personally owned like Anne's greek key or Sophie's wedding tiara

2. The Spencer tiara

Not sure why the Spencer tiara keeps coming up. It has been established it is worn by the female members of the earl spencer's immediate family. That means wife, daughters, and daughter in laws. Meghan is none of the above.

Meghan is not marrying into the Spencer family (though her husband is part of the family). She is marrying into the Windsor family.

Quote:
For sure 'whole package', yes, but what I was exploring was how that 'whole package' plays out in planning. What comes first: chicken or the egg; tiara/veil or dress/train? Every artistic creation starts with a spark, a detail, that then drives the whole.

To me Catherine's tiara and veil were the weakest aspect of her entire 'look'. The veil was too close to her hair and face, among other 'issues', but over time the (negative) impression lessens. I just recently watched the wedding and Catherine is so clearly happy (and nervous), William is so clearly delighted, that her 'homemade' presentation becomes very sweet to watch.

I suspect Meghan's 'presentation' will be more polished because of her background (obviously).
Agreed. The small underwhelming tiara, a veil that seemed to stick to her face, no updo to properly showcase it, was all disappointing. But at least the tiara was somewhat memorable.

Meghan I at least hope understands things like, when you are going to be on camera for millions, the importance of professional help. The wedding is not the day to do your own hair and makeup. Having spent her life in show business and having had hair and makeup done, I think this will be natural for her. And please no fake tanning either.

IMO dress will come first. But decisions on hair style and veil will be made when tiara is chosen. Both are important of course in showcasing the tiara.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Courtier

Agreed, the dress sets the tone and everything else will fall into place.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

I prefer brides that wear their hair in a style that is usual for them. I don't understand why people want brides to wear hair styles that make the bride look unlike her normal self. I liked Catherine's hair at her wedding and I hope Meghan also chooses a look that Harry will recognize as his bride not an unfamiliar woman.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Agreed, the dress sets the tone and everything else will fall into place.

I think the tiara has to be taken into account to make sure the dress works with it ...some of the tiaras are pretty style specific (Strathmore) and would look odd with some styles.

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think the tiara has to be taken into account to make sure the dress works with it ...some of the tiaras are pretty style specific (Strathmore) and would look odd with some styles.

LaRae
That’s why I switched to Teck
Old 12-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Majesty

Yes the Teck Crescent, the Lozenge and the Lotus could go with several styles of dresses.

I wonder what fun it must be to get to try them on (whatever ones) and see how they look!

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Courtier

I love hats Pranter but tiaras take it to quite another level. We could lock ourselves in the vault and play try-on. OT the Ramona dress you like made me chuckle, my girl ordered very very similar different designer.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I love hats Pranter but tiaras take it to quite another level. We could lock ourselves in the vault and play try-on. OT the Ramona dress you like made me chuckle, my girl ordered very very similar different designer.

Yes...after we gain access ...start with the old tiaras!

I love that dress, it's from the 2018 collection ...Meghan would look amazing in it. Most women could wear it very well, I bet it could be gotten in cream too.

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Gentry

I have decided that I fall into the no tiara category. I would love to see her hair up with a necklace, bracelet, or brooch/brooches converted to "tiara" or hair ornament, much in the style of Princess Charlene.

Princess Charlene's wedding jewels | The Jewellery Editor
Old 12-09-2017, 03:27 PM
Courtier

OT cream for us! Made my eyes glisten
Old 12-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
OT cream for us! Made my eyes glisten
I bet!!

LaRae
Old 12-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I prefer brides that wear their hair in a style that is usual for them. I don't understand why people want brides to wear hair styles that make the bride look unlike her normal self. I liked Catherine's hair at her wedding and I hope Meghan also chooses a look that Harry will recognize as his bride not an unfamiliar woman.
Because most people realize that everyone has different hairstyles for different events. You wouldn't expect a messy ponytail with a ballgown. I am a tomboy who lives in jeans and now scrubs, and a ponytail. But for prom, and now for formal work events, I can rock a proper hairdo when time calls for it. Doesn't mean people don't recognize you. You wouldn't expect a fancy updo for a day sitting in the grass at a casual polo match. Kate rocks beautiful updos when she chooses, at formal events.

The fact is a wedding calls for a hairstyle. When you are on display for millions, you need to be on point. And a hairdo that mathes a stunning tiara. Unfortunately Kate's hairdo did not do that. Fortunately she has become much better at tiara hair.

As much as we complain about Victoria's bun or ponytail, she rocks tiaras. She is one of those women who understand the concept of tiara hair.

Meghan is an actress. She has been on the red carpet plenty. She knows when an event calls to put on the full look and her wedding is one of them. Whatever tiara and dress she chooses, she will take the care to reflect the event she is at.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Majesty

A lot of people liked Catherine’s wedding day look, including myself

Meghan will no doubt employ a army of stylists and makeup artists and there will still be people who don’t like her dress, hair or choice of tiara.

Because she’s an actress doesn’t give her an innate sense of style. Hollywood is filled with people with no dress sense.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
A lot of people liked Catherine’s wedding day look, including myself

Meghan will no doubt employ a army of stylists and makeup artists and there will still be people who don’t like her dress, hair or choice of tiara.

Because she’s an actress doesn’t give her an innate sense of style. Hollywood is filled with people with no dress sense.
No, but gives them the good sense to know when you need to be on point. And to hire professionals when called for. Just like walking the red carpet, walking the wedding aisle for any bride is being on a huge stage when all eyes are on you. Miss Jane Doe married in the town church would likely have help with her hair and makeup. So yes, most expect royals at such a high profile wedding, to.

No, no wedding look is ever going to be universally loved. You can go the safe root like Kate, and hope even if you bore 3/4 of the people to sleep, you wont offend anyone (and she succeeded in that). Or you can realize you will never please everyone and just make a splash. But then again Kate has been pretty meh in her fashion since, so was really sign of things to come.

I am hoping Meghan decides to rise up to the occasion (of course within the standards like shoulders covered) and not try to be the 'English country bride' to please some.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I posted before that I think that if the Strathmore Rose Tiara was modified to add a jewel base like what is on the Teck Crescent Tiara that would be a fantastic enhancement!

ETA:
Strathmore Rose Tiara
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fTJ-jwC0Tv...hmore_rose.jpg
(source)

Teck Crescent Tiara
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l8ZVpRHT1B...0/scan0025.jpg
(source)
The Strathmore Rose Tiara will be elegant with a jewel base like the Teck Crescent Tiara has. Are there any separate rose type jewels in the British Royal Jewels that could be added to the Strathmore?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Strongly doubt it. Actors can actually (and often/mostly do) do their own make-up, especially for stage work. But they are trained to it, too. They know what they are doing. Sometimes come to work with the make-up already done, in fact.

You have seen all those films (perhaps) showing the attentive make-up artist touching up the talent's face: that's only to do with television and filming under lights, etc. Being in the make-up chair is hated by actors but a necessary evil if one happens to be in a science fiction/fantasy show/film with massive make-up requirements for your character. Never a happy time for an actor.

Meghan may well consult, she may even have someone (and only one) to help her on her big day with the make-up, but she will (as do we all) generally do her own make-up. JMO.

Quote:
I think she has demonstrated enough to let us know she does have a good sense of style, though in her case you may not like her style, and that's okay. We don't know what her 'royal style' will be. That remains to be seen.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:59 AM
Nobility

Wow I’ve missed a lot. I just hope Meghan is herself not an actress or some vision of a royal bride that some people have. One person’s ‘meh’ or ‘safe or ‘boring’ is beautiful to someone else. I don’t see why we need to compare or make one royal bride out to be less than other to raise up someone else. Most of the styles we’ve seen Meghan wear have been as an actress. That’s not necessarily reflective of her personal style or of how she will be as a royal let alone as a bride. I think that’s important to remember. Meghan’s style does nothing for me but I can appreciate and respect everyone’s differences. Regardless Kate has nothing to do with speculating for this wedding. I am still interested to see what she will wear.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:20 AM
Nobility

I will say that I hope she has some embellishment on her wedding gown. She does seem to not be against lace totally but I wouldn’t be surprised if her dress was very simple.

Closed Thread