Carl Philip and Sofia's Wedding: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess little by little we will get to see the royal agendas on their websites and know who is attending.

since the spanish RF did not attend madeleine's wedding, i assume this will also be the case for CP's wedding.

Yep, not long now, so we'll soon find out who will go; i don't think P.C-P has a lot of especially close contact with other royal houses, so imo the attendance will be indeed be similar to P.Madeleine's wedding, so the required for an event like this :flowers: (except ofcourse for relatives and godparents)

Duc_et_Pair, Danish media have already reported that the court confirmed the attendance of Queen Margrethe and the CP couple. Margrethe's attendance was always expected since she is the godmother of Carl Philip.

Joachim will probably act as regent in Denmark.

I don't expect anyone from GB, Spain and Monaco. With Belgium and the Netherlands I believe that there is a 50/50 chance that they will go, depending on their agendas.

From Germany Prince Manuel and Princess Anna of Bavaria might also be there, they attended both Victoria's and Madeleine's wedding.

Oh yes, Margrethe, I forgot about her. Well add her to the list. The attendance of Dutch royals is unlikely. In the royal agenda is listed that Queen Máxima will open the new Queen Juliana Childrens' Hospital in The Hague (Friday June 12th) and on Saturday June 13th (the wedding day), Queen Máxima will officially hand over a new estate to Scouting Netherlands, to serve as a new scouting camp. The King has no public events outside the royal palace on these two days. I can not imagine King Willem-Alexander attending alone without the Queen.

Last edited:
If anyone from the NL attends i'd expect it to be P.Constantijn or maybe P.Maurits (with spouses), but i'd be very surprised if it was the king himself..

Oh yes, Margrethe, I forgot about her. Well add her to the list. The attendance of Dutch royals is unlikely. In the royal agenda is listed that Queen Máxima will open the new Queen Juliana Childrens' Hospital in The Hague (Friday June 12th) and on Saturday June 13th (the wedding day), Queen Máxima will officially hand over a new estate to Scouting Netherlands, to serve as a new scouting camp. The King has no public events outside the royal palace on these two days. I can not imagine King Willem-Alexander attending alone without the Queen.

But they could send Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, King Philippe and Princess Mathilde (then still the Duke and Duchess of Brabant), King Felipe and Queen Letizia (then still the Prince and Princess of Asturias) and the Prince of Monaco: none of them did attend the wedding of Princess Madeleine and Mr Christopher O'Neill.

No one else represented the Netherlands, Belgium or Spain. That Belgium was absent, was remarkable since King Philippe and his siblings are grandchildren to a Princess of Sweden. The Princess of Monaco did attend all alone, which is unlikely now: maybe she prefers to stay with Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella. The United Kingdom did send the Earl and Countess of Wessex, but they most likely will attend the Queen's Birthday Parade in London.

So my prediction:

Denmark:
The Crown Prince and -Princess
Prince Joachim and Princess Marie

Norway
The Crown Prince and -Princess
Princess Märtha Louise and Mr Ari Behn

The United Kingdom
- no royal representation

The Netherlands

Belgium

Luxembourg
- The Hereditary Grand Duke and -Duchess

Spain

Monaco
- no princely representation

Liechtenstein
- no princely representation

The former Greek royal family
- Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal
- Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatiana

The former German royal families
- Princess Benedikte of Denmark, Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
- Prince Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Ms Carina Axelsson
- Count Jefferson-Friedrich and Countess Alexandra von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth, born Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
- Mr Alexander and Mrs Nathalie Johannsmann, born Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
- the Hereditary Prince and -Princess von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha
- Prince Leopold and Princess Ursula von Bayern

I hope that there wil be more representives from reigning Houses. If we look at other who where 3 in in line of succession at the time of their Weddings like Prince Constnatin of the Netherlands and Infanta Cristina of Spain there where almost every reigning House in Europe represented. And Carl Philip has attended lots of royal Weddings abroad.
As for the Hereidtary Princess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha she is expeciting her second child in July. So i think it could be that she will not attend this time.

Last edited:
Do you think Emma Pernald & her husband will attend?

Do you think Emma Pernald & her husband will attend?
Emma is amoung Madeleine's best friends which explains why she was invited at her wedding. But I don't think that she'll be CP's.
I hope that there wil be more representives from reigning Houses. If we look at other who where 3 in in line of succession at the time of their Weddings like Prince Constnatin of the Netherlands and Infanta Cristina of Spain there where almost every reigning House in Europe represented. And Carl Philip has attended lots of royal Weddings abroad.
As for the Hereidtary Princess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha she is expeciting her second child in July. So i think it could be that she will not attend this time.
For one thing I have the impression that also royal weddings have declined in size and splendour. When the Spanish Infantas got married all those years ago it was still more common that complete RFs would attend.

Another point might be that we now have three new younger Monarchs whose children are still too young to be send to the weddings.

Emma is amoung Madeleine's best friends which explains why she was invited at her wedding. But I don't think that she'll be CP's.

For one thing I have the impression that also royal weddings have declined in size and splendour. When the Spanish Infantas got married all those years ago it was still more common that complete RFs would attend.

Another point might be that we now have three new younger Monarchs whose children are still too young to be send to the weddings.

Well it depends, the fairly recent wedding of Prince William and Ms Catherine Middleton still did attract an impressive guest list, despite the fact that the groom was no heir, not even a younger son of a Sovereign. The wedding of Prince Guillaume with Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy probably did attract an even more impressive guestlist, the venues studded with blue blood from Luxembourgian, Belgian, French, German, Austria-Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, etc. nobility.

What I remembered from Infanta Doña Elena's wedding was the awesome splendour, look at all these fantastic banners and the matching cloths draped over the balconies: see picture.

:flowers:

Another option would be the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. They also represented the UK at the Wedding of the King and Queen of Sweden in 1976.

I briefly considered them. But they are older and are probably the most introverted members of BRF. I don't think they would gel well with the young, gregarious crowd at the wedding. The Queen adores the Gloucesters. I don't think she'd want to put them in a awkward position.

But at the Wedding's of the spanish Infanta's it where also no complete families who attended. One couple or sometimes with children. Or for example Queen Paola with her 2 sons. And it is not that the three young monarchs have nobody they could send. For the Netherlands they could send either Princes Beatrix who does still a lot of duties or Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien. And in Belgium there are Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz or Prince Laurent and Prince Claire. And the spanish King could send Infanta Elena.

Last edited:

I think this hits the mark. Before the age of "the burp heard around the world in 12 seconds" that we know is our media and social networking, in days gone by, to show support for an alliance nation, the various other royal families showed solidarity in attending functions. Of course back then, it was family for the most part with Victoria being the Grandmother of 'em all I've heard. It beats the previous ages where marriages between royals were for alliances and land and power.

It has been confirmed by Buckingham Palace Edward and Sophie will attend the wedding. I read this on People Magazine.

It has been confirmed by Buckingham Palace Edward and Sophie will attend the wedding. I read this on People Magazine.

Ah, you just beat me to it!:) Here's the link, for anyone who's interested:

Find Out Which British Royals Are Attending Swedish Prince Carl Philip's Glamorous Wedding

Ah, I am happy! :flowers: Can't wait to see what Sophie will wear. It's so close now. No matter what one thinks, weddings are always festive, and the bride is always beautiful. Can't wait to see what everyone wears, especially the bride. Tiara or not?

I want to post this as a new thread, but can't figure out how to do it:

Are there any instances of Royal Weddings being called off at the 'last minute'?

I remember when the book about Princess Diana came out, it said she thought about cancelling the wedding just a few days before, but her sister told her it was too late.

Has anyone actually cancelled?

I want to post this as a new thread, but can't figure out how to do it: Are there any instances of Royal Weddings being called off at the 'last minute'?

I remember when the book about Princess Diana came out, it said she thought about cancelling the wedding just a few days before, but her sister told her it was too late.

Has anyone actually cancelled?

Apparently, Charles, as well, was having serious second thoughts, within weeks of the engagement being announced. :sad:

Unfortunately, the fact that the engagement was by then public meant the wheels of state were in motion and they were as good as married. Pulling out would have been unthinkable (for Charles, anyway; maybe Diana could have, but my understanding is she was very keen and would never have actually done so, for familial dynastic reasons). Given that was the situation for the BRF's heir I would think it would be so for them all.

But the question is a good one: has there ever been a reneg? I doubt it. JMO.

P.S. I very much doubt this Swedish wedding will be called off. Think what one might, the couple look to be in love and devoted. Sofia may be a sweetheart, easy on the eyes and ears, and she seems to be doing everything she can to make herself acceptable short of wrapping herself in a blanket from head-to-toe. The wedding is on 100%. :flowers:

Last edited:
Back when C&D married things were quite a bit different too....nowdays they could back out and while it would be a big deal..it wouldn't cause some sort of scandal threatening to bring down a royal family. Afterall now they divorce and remarry and all kinds of stuff without much push back.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not thinking that this one would be called off. I was just wondering. Can anyone instruct me on how to start a thread? I've looked at all sorts of things on this site and can't find something that works.

Perhaps send a PM to a moderator? They should be able to help.

Its easy to do. I'll send you a PM. :D

I see with all the speculation they didn't actually bother to check facts which would have seen a Very Important prior engagement, namely The Trooping of The Colour, an occasion in which William takes part.

Well, U.S. coverage of the royals tends to be shallow at best, even among more serious news outlets, so I wouldn't expect a celebrity-oriented magazine to dig too deeply into the actual context. In fact, I'm surprised they put the article on their website at all - they've done a few small pieces on CP and Sofia's upcoming wedding, and presumably got in touch with Buckingham Palace to see if William and Kate might be attending (I'm sure that People has zero idea about The fact that TOC is the same day, or perhaps even of what TOC actually is), and we're probably disappointed to find out that they weren't. I'm glad they went ahead and ran the story anyway, because at least it answers some of our questions! I don't think Edward and Sophie have ever missed TOC, but I don't think they've skipped any of the royal weddings at which their presence might be expected, either (except for Felipe and Letizia's, as I believe Sophie was on maternity leave at the time), so it's nice to have confirmation. Though I am a bit surprised that a U.S. entertainment magazine ended up getting the "scoop" on the Wessexes attending a Swedish royal wedding- the article is fluff, but at least it settles some discussions here. :lol:

This is very surprising. Who will represent the London Regiment at Trooping with Edward gone. It's the one time of year when people ask why Edward's wearing a uniform. Though the discussion always brings publicity to the London Regiment, so that's a plus.

I still think Andrew would of been a much more pragmatic choice. He doesn't have obligations at Trooping.

This is very surprising. Who will represent the London Regiment at Trooping with Edward gone. It's the one time of year when people ask why Edward's wearing a uniform. Though the discussion always brings publicity to the London Regiment, so that's a plus.

I still think Andrew would of been a much more pragmatic choice. He doesn't have obligations at Trooping.

Well, there's pragmatic in terms of Trooping and pragmatic in terms of the wedding. I think Andrew would be an odd fit in terms of attending the wedding (he'd presumably go solo, and I don't know how well he knows the other royals who will be in attendance). I also don't know that Andrew has even met Carl Philip, whereas Edward and Sophie have been at CP's sisters' weddings, as well as many other weddings he's attended, so presumably they've all met, and I think it's a much more natural, logical choice in those terms. While it would be nice if Edward could be in both places at once, Trooping does happen annually, and CP and Sofia are only getting married this once, and I think it's nice that Edward and Sophie will be there to represent the British royal family. Also, there are occasions other than Trooping when Edward is in uniform (even if they might not draw the same kind of attention).

Well, U.S. coverage of the royals tends to be shallow at best, even among more serious news outlets, so I wouldn't expect a celebrity-oriented magazine to dig too deeply into the actual context.

Understatement. :p

Consider that The Globe's June 1st headline is a scorcher of in-depth reportage - with a PHOTO no less. :p

GLOBE: Camilla Parker-Bowles Cheating On Prince Charles With TV Actor – Caught Red-Handed On Spy Camera (PHOTO)

[...] it's nice to have confirmation. Though I am a bit surprised that a U.S. entertainment magazine ended up getting the "scoop" on the Wessexes attending a Swedish royal wedding- the article is fluff, but at least it settles some discussions here. :lol:

If we can trust it. ;)

[...] Can't wait to see what everyone wears, especially the bride. Tiara or not?

Of course the bride will wear a diadem. No doubt about that. She is marrying a man who was Sweden's Crown Prince, the only son of the King and the procreator of the main line of the Bernadotte dynasty. If he has no "right" on the use of the Bernadotte family properties, no one has. Be sure that Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland, will be dressed according her high rank and status.

:flowers:

Of course the bride will wear a diadem. No doubt about that. She is marrying a man who was Sweden's Crown Prince, the only son of the King and the procreator of the main line of the Bernadotte dynasty. If he has no "right" on the use of the Bernadotte family properties, no one has. Be sure that Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland, will be dressed according her high rank and status. :flowers:

Well, that's pretty high falutin', as they say in certain parts. :p Do you really think they think of themselves in such-wise?

I am reminded of Sarah ('Fergie') arriving with a garland of flowers on her hair and leaving the church with a tiara. Just the right touch, the commoner becoming the royal, and pretty much in the same position as Sofia.

I don't think it's beyond the pale that Sofia might opt for something as natural as a garland of flowers coming to the church and something more ornate and tiara-ish when leaving the church. Why would that be a surprise?

Personally, I'm not a fan of tiaras. I think they are extremely old-fashioned. There are so many more exquisite ways to braid a head of hair with jewels these days. I know what I'd opt for were I in her place. ;) It wouldn't be a tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understatement. :p

Consider that The Globe's June 1st headline is a scorcher of in-depth reportage - with a PHOTO no less. :p

GLOBE: Camilla Parker-Bowles Cheating On Prince Charles With TV Actor – Caught Red-Handed On Spy Camera (PHOTO)

If we can trust it. ;)

Well, People is very reliable, even if it does stick to lighter subject matter. I very much doubt they would say that Buckingham Palace confirmed something for them if that wasn't the case. Besides, I don't think they have any reason to dream up a story about Edward and Sophie attending Carl Philip and Sofia's wedding when most Americans - and even most People readers - are unlikely to have a clue as to who any of the four of them are. :lol: (Yes, I kind of over analyze this sort of thing to see if it passes muster, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom