The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 PM

Help With Family Histories and Other Mysteries

Hello, I have not posted for a while, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on the House of Metz in Denmark?

Thank you.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Sorry to ask, but what's The House of Metz?

Old 09-07-2004, 05:19 PM

oh. It's a noble family from France, but they apparently lived in Denmark as well. My great grandmother (Danish) worked in the House of Metz in Denmark. Their son fell in love with her and she had a son (my grandfather - deceased). My grandfather took on the name of von Metz.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Nobility

I have never heard of a noble house called Metz in Denmark. I know of a journalist called Georg Metz, so it is a last name her though.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Aristocracy

Never heard of it either.....we've tried to look for it on the Internet, with no luck :)
Old 09-09-2004, 03:24 PM

I know. I've tried as well. Thank you for your help!
Old 09-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Aristocracy

With respect to your query about the "House of Metz", I don't know if this will help but in doing my husband's genealogy, I found a lot of "Metzgers" who came from Weibnom in the Netherlands. Thomas Metzger rose to a high position, "General von Messinger" in the Court of Holland at the time of King Willem of England, who at that time, was statholder of Holland. There are also a lot of "Getz" 's (or "Gettz") in my husband's family and they were considered "Prussian/German" plus they "intermarried" with the Metzgers, the Mink Family, the Simon Family, and the Read (Reed) families, from which my husband descends.

Since you are looking for "Metz", I thought it may be of some help ~ telling you alternate variations of the name ~ such as "Metzger" and "Getz" which are in my husband's paternal family genealogy ... and, of course, Denmark just isn't too far away from Holland, am I correct? (I live in America and don't have a map with me at the moment.) ~ plus "boundaries" of countries back then varied quite a deal and also changed quite frequently. I hope some of this is helpful.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:49 PM

Thank you. Seems we have a lot to work with now.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:45 PM

Help With Family Histories and Other Mysteries

My wife and I are trying to trace her family tree. The farthest we can get on her mothers side is to Andy J Anderson. From what we have heard is that he is from Russian royalty. He has 2 sisters that Came to the United States around 1910-1920 with him. His real name is Duke Alexei(Alexey?) Von Verischlaaufen(SP?)(pronounced, Var(long A)-i-shlof-in). Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Michael
Old 02-20-2006, 07:57 PM

Alexei is a Russian name but Von is a German prefix but he could be a German Alexei. It definately sounds to me as if he's German or maybe Austrian?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:20 PM

help please

I tried the Russian forum and was told That von is a German prefix.
Here is my original post:

My wife and I are trying to trace her family tree. The farthest we can get on her mothers side is to Andy J Anderson. From what we have heard is that he is from Russian royalty. He has 2 sisters that Came to the United States around 1910-1920 with him. His real name is Duke Alexei(Alexey?) Von Verischlaaufen(SP?)(pronounced, Var(long A)-i-shlof-in). Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I talked to the wifes uncle tonight and he told me it may be Duke Of Lexi Von Varischlaaufen(SP?)
Old 02-20-2006, 10:21 PM

I talked to the wifes uncle tonight and he told me that it may be Duke Of Lexi Von Varischlaaufen.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 AM

Lexi could be a shortened version of Alexei. Have you tried Wikipedia or even Buckingham Palace? Write to them and include as much information as you know and ask them to clarify if he really did exist or not. If they can't help, you could try the Romanov Family Association.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmmusser
My wife and I are trying to trace her family tree. The farthest we can get on her mothers side is to Andy J Anderson. From what we have heard is that he is from Russian royalty. He has 2 sisters that Came to the United States around 1910-1920 with him. His real name is Duke Alexei(Alexey?) Von Verischlaaufen(SP?)(pronounced, Var(long A)-i-shlof-in). Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance, Michael
The problem here is that the Russian nobility didn't have Dukes. Apart from those within the Imperial Family the only Dukedom in Russia was that of Leuchtenberg. This Dukedom was created by the King of Bavaria in 1817 but became Russian when the third Duke married Grand Duchess Maria, daughter of Tsar Nicholas I, in 1839. The Duke was created an Imperial Highness and their descendants ranked as members of the Imperial Family.

The 'von' indicates German provenance, but German Dukes were Dukes of a physical locality (or state) and were either reigning Princes or members of one of the sovereign Ducal Houses. A ducal title is relatively uncommon within German nobility and I don't know of any outside of the former-reigning and Mediatised Houses.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmmusser
I used to have marked a page from a person, tf boettger, who did an excellent research listing all the family names in several countries with the titles next to the names. This page is now blank but it was the original location:
http://www.geocities.com/tfboettger/...h/services.htm
I did save the pages on pdf somewhere because the data was very precise. But the original page is now off line.

And now, let me be a little prosecutorial.
You mentioned the name Andy Anderson, and when I it, it rings a bell with the notorious lady from Poland, Anna Anderson, until her death she and her American husband supported a lie fabricated by her that she was Grand Duchess Anastasia. Books, movies etc were made and based on her lies. This has been discredited by DNA as well as her very own relatives from Poland. She was never, ever, a Romanov. It was all a lie. Andy Anderson?/Anna Anderson? the names sound too close for comfort to me...

So, I'll go prosecutorial on you...are you playing games here? As Warren pointed out, there are no titled 'dukes' in Czarist Russia sans the Leuchembergs and I think the Donatos (?). The 'clues' you point out are too ambiguous and just to move people here to go into research overdrive when this thread could be something fabricated by you?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:23 AM

Anna Anderson did spring to my mind too actually.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Anna Anderson did spring to my mind too actually.
Then we both suspect this thread was started by some bored prankster trying to get us going on a wild chase just to entertain him or her. So, enough of this mjmmusser's trolling needs for attention.

Beatrixfan, let's move to another area
Old 03-17-2006, 12:43 AM

Help with Family Histories

I am new here and new to Royal research as well, so I sincerely ask for your patience and tolerance to any faux pas I may be guilty of!

My family lived in Frosinone, Italy from 1967 to 1969. By a strange -and wonderful- set of coincidences, we found ourselves renting an apartment from the Colonna family. The setting was just outside Frosinone, to the west, near the town of Patrica in an area is called Tomacella, at the Quattro Strade for the ancient Colonna home which once (and I hope and pray still remains) stood there, where four roads meet.

I am not writing a book on the Colonna family - they were generous, gracious and personally kind to our family in such measure that I will always hold a special place in my heart for them. I am not looking for information on the family members, only information on Tomacella.

There is little to be found on the internet - a few grainy aerial views taken during the construction of the Sacco drawbridge and one photo taken from an internet chat room for Supino ancestors. I've heard maddening, conflicting stories: The castle has been torn down, it is being restored into a private dwelling, it is being restored into a hotel or similar accomodation, it has been vandalized beyond repair and is simply standing derelict. Tomacella came to be much beloved by my family. I would be inexpressibly grateful to anyone who can give me information on Tomacella, the state she is in, photographs - anything.

If one should wish to email me privately, for facts and corroboration of my identity and proof of statement that our family did, indeed, reside as tenants of Oddone Colonna, please do so. Ask for my email and I will provide it via private messaging.

I would like to know if Don Oddone, his wife the duchess, and their sons Ascanio and Flavio are still living. The Colonnas exchanged letters with my father for many years, but he is deceased and my mother, who is in her late 80's, is ailing and has poor memory. Also, if there is any way for anyone on this site to convey to the Colonnas, my deepest best wishes and heartfelt thanks for what I consider the happiest two years of my childhood - I would be extremely grateful.

Molto Grazie!

Nancy St.Julien Klepacki
St. Louis, Missouri
Old 03-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

I'm sorry to announce you that Don Oddone died in april 2004; his wife, donna Maria Luisa, is still living, as are their two sons. Ascanio and Flavio are married and have children.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe it help somehow:
http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/colonna.html

Tags
adel, british, caumont, francois, germany, grabowski, henri, inheritance, jenison-walworth, la force, lineage, marquis de castelneau, mecklenburg-strelitz, multiple, raugraf von heidelberg, royal, royal poland lineage revolution 1900, scottish, secret, the bourg family titles?