The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Commoner

Hi! From what I found the Flotows became Counts in the Polish branch of the family. But there was no date to find. The family branch in Mecklenburg became Reichsgraf or Counts of the Empire in 1790. What that is can you find in the English wikipedia too. Just type in Reichsgraf. And the Bavarian branch became Bavarian Barons in 1829. This is from the German Wikipedia. Liste deutscher Adelsgeschlechter A The titles are today parts of the name and are given to the children as such

Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Courtier

There is an interesting connection between von Flotow family and Biron von Kurland family as Baron Bernhard Gershau von Flotow(1853-1911),who was Governor of Witebsk,added the name of Gerschau from his mother Marie von Gershau...

On the other hand Marie was daughter of Peter von Gershau,himself illegitimate son of Duke Peter Biron von Kurland and his mistress Agnes Karoline von Derschau...

Among his descendants today are Counts zu Stolberg-Wernigerode...

There is also another family connection with the highest circle of families as Adrian von Flotow(born in 1943) is son in law of Princess Olga von Sachsen-Altenburg,who herself is a daughter of Prince Albert von Sachsen-Altenburg and Princess Marie of Prussia,previously married to Prince Frederick of the Netherlands...

His daughters,for example,Stephanie and Marie-Sophie von Flotow are through their mother direct descendants of the Blood Countess Elisabeth Bathory...

Old 04-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Succession and Titles Question

If I could I prove that a Capet French monarch is my 20th something great grandmother through a illegimate child, would I have a title? Could I claim anything?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I'm afraid not.
Illegitimate children are not automatically entitled to any titles. While it was the habit of later French Monarchs (such as Louis XIV) to bestow titles upon their illegitimate offspring as well, there was no such practice during earlier Monarchs. In any case, a title would need to be officially bestowed upon an illegitimate child; otherwise, he wouldn't be entitled to anything.

Furthermore, your degree of relation is far too distant to have any claim to anything, be it titles (even if the original illegitimate child of the Monarch did have one) or other possessions. There are likely to be thousands of legitimate descendants from the French Royal Houses, and a much higher number of illegitimate ones; none is entitled to, well, anything.

It has been estimated that nearly all people of English descent have royals among their ancestors; I would expect it to be true about people of French ancestry and French Monarchs too.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Nobility

What would you want to claim?

There is nothing left of french Monarchy
Old 04-22-2012, 11:15 AM

Found my family tree. All living relatives that could know about this are dead in us. This is pretty old. It says Barra-salone-caracciolo. Any clue as to what that is? If u want pics of document let me know.

Last reference was 1896

Click image for larger version

Name:	2978.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	284767 Name:  2979.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  12.1 KB Name:  2965.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  12.6 KB Name:  2910.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  13.1 KB Name:  2954.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  12.2 KB Name:  2955.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  12.1 KB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2881.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	284768  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM

In case it helps I am the first generation in america. My father was really old.when I was born and he was raised in italy. Born 1919. Its obvious I have been mislead about my family . My father must have been freaked out being exiled. I dont have much to go on my grandmother mustve been some sort of noble. she sang to the kaiser of germany as child spoke 6 languages fluently and lived a life i would find incredible today. my father never said much but he finally did go back in 74 with my mother. The story my mother told me was they were near not in pisa and went to a restaurant that served seven course meals and were placed in some dignitary seating area that made them stick out.She said the bottom was like a shack and the upperlevel was much nicer. She thinks it might've been owned by family. wish i had better info.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM

i tried to translate some

not everything v and u got confused in document i think

alcuni autori asseriscono esser questa famiglia di origine romana, discesa dai barrae. il camajani ed il mugnos dicono che traesse origine dal milite stanislao barras, che viveva nel 1109, e che fosse originaria del cilento nel qvale lv090 si hanno delle sicvre memorie di essa, nel secolo xv. questa famiglia ha vestito l'abito del supremo militare ordine di malta nel 1551.

Some*authors*claim*to be*the family*of Roman origin,*descended from*barrae.*theCamajani*and*Mugnos*say that*originally*drew*stanislao*barras*by soldier,*who lived*in 1109,*and was*originally*in*the Cilento*Qvale*lv090*sicvre*memories*youhave*of*it,*in the fifteenth century.*this family*has*the habit*of the*Supreme MilitaryOrder*of Malta*in 1551.

si divise in due rami principali de qvali il primo passo in salerno e l altro nel cilento. ha goduto nobilita in amalfi in salerno nel seggio di campo dal 1590, e nel seggio di portaretese nel 1558, in napoli ive seggi di montagna e di portanova ed in altre citta.

is*divided*into two*main branches*of*qvali*the first*step*in*Salerno*and*Cilentoanother.*ennobles it*has*enjoyed*in*amalfi*salerno*in the polling*field*since*1590,and in*portaretese*seat*in 1558,*in*Naples*seats*ive*mountain and*Portanova*andin other cities.

un mariano barra nel 1734, fv creato principe di san pio, titolo che vende alla famiglia grimaldi per soddisfare le proprie stravaganze. mori poverissimo in vn convento di domenicani di barcelona nel 1749. di questa famiglia si veggono monumenti sepolcrali in napoli nelle chiese: monteoliveto della vittoria, di santa chiara, in salerno nel duomo, in sorrento nel duomo. un ramo della famiglia barra passo in sicilia nel secolo xvi.

Marian*a*bar*in 1734,*created*Prince*of St.*fv*example, a title that*sells*the*grimaldifamily*to meet their*extravagances.*vn*died*poor*in*the Dominican*convent*ofbarcelona*in 1749.*of this family*are seen*the tombs*in the churches*in*Naples:monteoliveto*of victory, of holy*light,*in the cathedral*in*Salerno,*Sorrento*in*the cathedral.*a branch*of the family*bar*step*in Sicily*in the sixteenth century.

nicola barra. conte di basciano uni al suo cognome "salone-Caracciolo" mori lasciando a placido sou figlio, unico ed ultimo intestatario. col deg mag del 4 gennaio 1896 questa nobile famiglia fu autorizzata ad assumere il titolo di nobile col predecessore di brasciano la famiglia e rappresentata da:

Nicola*bar.*basciano*gods*stand*to one*another*is called*his*"Salon-Caracciolo"*tocalm*yourself*by*lasciando*figlio,*only*the last*edition*intestatario.*colleges*del*4deg*mag*gennaio*1896*she complained of*a noble*Family Campaign and otherfuture*autorizzata*to*take the*noble*gods*titolo*being*colleges*the predecessor*of the*Family Campaign and other*gods*brasciano*la*rappresentata*give:
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Visconde de Rosario

In research I have found that I am a descendant of the Vicount of Rosario. Does anyone know anything about the title?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM

Archduchess Maria Anna of the Hapsburg Dynasty

Archduchess Maria Anna of Schonbrunn castle b. about 1819 married Anton Becvar her assigned soldier to accompany her around the grounds. They moved from Vienna to Prague, Anton's home town. They immigrated to the US shortly after 1851. And changed their name to Cooper. They both died between 1851-1855 in Iowa. No record of them can be located in Vienna or Prague. They had a daughter Anna Marie Cooper who married a Francis McBride in Iowa. At one time some of Archduchess Maria Anna (after her death) sons went back to Germany to check on their heritage and were told she had been an Archduchess, but the inheritance went back to the government because of the lapse of time. There is no written record to document this...just a written family history of the fact.

Can anyone help me on this line?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM

Hello. I am a new member.

The reason I joined the Royal Forum was to see if I could discover any information or leads to help me learn more about what might be my family history.

I was told by my father that his grandmother had been a member of the Royal family in Germany. His grandmother was cast out of the Royal family after marrying his grandfather (a commoner).

My grandfather (my father's father and her son) left Germany before WWII as decided by his family. I understand that he had siblings who did the same and one brother may have gone to South America.

My grandfather's name was Tony Piwek (may have been 'Canadianized' when immigranting to Canada).

Any information is appreciated.

L :-)
Old 05-19-2012, 01:01 AM

Hello. I am a new member.

The reason I joined the Royal Forum was to see if I could discover any information or leads to help me learn more about what might be my family history.

I was told by my father that his grandmother had been a member of the Royal family in Germany. His grandmother was cast out of the Royal family after marrying his grandfather (a commoner).

My grandfather (my father's father and her son) left Germany before WWII as decided by his family. I understand that he had siblings who did the same and one brother may have gone to South America.

My grandfather's name was Tony Piwek (may have been 'Canadianized' when immigranting to Canada).

Any information is appreciated.

Leita :-)
Old 05-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

An Online Gotha

Perhpas you could check this out. There were several German princely, ducal, grand ducal and royal families in Germany in addition to the Royal House of Prussia which was also the German Imperial Family.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 PM

Hello. I'm brand-new to this forum, so I hope you will be patient worh me.

I've been researching my family's lineage, and I'v discovered some nobility and royalty on my father's side. The most intriguing discovery is that I might be distantly related to Princess Diana.

I see that Elizabeth_Leona seems to know a lot about British lineage so perhaps I should direct this question to her. Do you know if Diana's lineage includes a Margaret Rose deMonfort? According to my research on ancestry.com, Diana and I are both descended from her. I've seen her listed as Rose DeMonfort as well. The name has also been seen as Montfort and Montford. She was married to a Catesby, which is where my line comes from...a John Catesby. Margaret Rose deMonfort was born in the mid 1300s. I've tried to Google information, but I keep finding myself spinning in circles. If you can offer any help, it'd be most appreciated.

This has been puzzling me for a while, now. It would help to know, whether it's affirmative or negative. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Welcome, American Princess.
I'm not Elizabeth_Leona, but will try to help you with your research.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate any Marguerite de Montfort who was married to a Catesby; there doesn't appear to be such marriage between any of the de Montfort ladies in the 14th century. There is, however, a Marguerite de Montfort born in the 14th century among the ancestors of the late Diana, Princess of Wales. That particular Marguerite was born in 1392 to Jean V, Duke of Brittany and Jeanne d'Evreux, Princess of Navarre (Jeanne later became Queen of England through her second marriage to Henry IV of England). Marguerite married Alain IX, Viscount of Rohan and Count of Porhoet, and died in 1428.

Here is Diana's line from Marguerite de Montfort (her 14 great-grandmother):
- Marguerite de Montfort
- Marguerite de Rohan
- Charles d'Orleans, Duke of Angouleme
- Marguerite of Angouleme
- Jeanne III, Queen of Navarre
- Henry IV of France
- Henrietta Maria of France, Queen of England
- Charles II of England
- Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond
- Charles Lennox, 2nd Duke of Richmond
- Charles Lennox, 4th Duke of Richmond
- Charles Gordon-Lennox, 5th Duke of Richmond
- Lady Cecilia Catherine Gordon-Lennox
- Lady Rosalind Cecilia Hamilton
- Cynthia Spencer, Countess Spencer
- John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer
- Lady Diana Spencer
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 PM

Wow. That's awesome information, Artemisia! Thank you.

I am definitely an amateur at geneaology, and I'm going mostly on what the ancestry.com site and what tidbits I can find through Google. I'll have to check the Catesby and deMonfort lines again. There is a discrepancy there, which probably explains why I've been spinning my wheels on this problem. Thanks for the help!

Incidentally, I'm also descended from William the Conqueror and the House of Plantagenet, but that's where the "glory" ends. It pales in comparison to Diana's.

Uh....wow. It's getting more complicated. Typical of British ancestry, right?

I found a Simon DeMontfort, but he's not the one connected to Marguerite DeMontfort. I didn't know there was more than one Simon! No wonder I'm confused!

The Simon DeMontfort in my ancestry was born in 1025. He married Agnes D'Evereux, and they had a daughter, Bertrade, who became Queen of France and so began the Plantagenet line.

It still doesn't explain where Marguerite came from. I'm wondering if there was more than one Marguerite (Margaret) DeMontfort, and that's why I seem to be getting nowhere.

Gosh, my brain hurts.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM

Major Darling's Genealogy Workshop

Hi guys and gals,

Im happy to help with any requests or questions into genealogy, obviously mainly into the Royal families themselves, but if any of you need help with royal family trees and how they connect to yours, Ill probably be able to help out to, if there is anything to find that is.

I have quite a lot of experience, and have access to most of the sites.

If you have a request, give me as much detail as possible, otherwise my job gets harder and harder (imagine this )
Old 05-30-2012, 11:21 PM

Cool. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Commoner

If a person is descended from the House of Plantagenet, are the also descended from Marguerite DeMontfort?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah2016 View Post
If a person is descended from the House of Plantagenet, are the also descended from Marguerite DeMontfort?
Not necessarily; depends on which Plantagenet line you mean.

Tags
adel, british, caumont, francois, germany, grabowski, henri, inheritance, jenison-walworth, la force, lineage, marquis de castelneau, mecklenburg-strelitz, multiple, raugraf von heidelberg, royal, royal poland lineage revolution 1900, scottish, secret, the bourg family titles?