The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Commoner

Unsolved mysteries.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:14 PM
б/К

looking for people connected with the royal family

Does anyone know where to start looking for info about people related to the Romanovs. There was in Petersburg a family called Kalinin, one of whom, Evgeniya Kalinina, is supposed to have been 17th in line from the throne. Or maybe one of her parents was. I don't have their names. Yet. She married someone called Yakov Beloborodov. This family, with two children (one of whom died of diptheria along the way), fled to Egypt in 1917. Although I would like to find out who both families were (Yakov's father Vladimir is supposed to have paid for the building of a railway and to have given it to the Czar), I guess for purposes of this forum the Kalinins are the only ones close to being relevant.

I would like to know who they were and where they lived- and how they lived. But I have no idea where to begin.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone want to confirm this - I have a person trying to get info out of me on ancestry.com - is any of this true?

Quote:
Sorry, no. I mean William lV and the actress Dorothy Bland. Most firstborn sons and daughters in our family were named Wm. and Dorothy in their honor until this recent generation. I suspect Wm. lV only because I was told taht my Great Grandmother was first cousin to Victoria, the Czar and Kaiser but maybe it was The Duke Reining. My neice is Dorothy, my sister is Dorothy my mother was Dorothy, her aunt was Dorothy etc. The same with the name Wiliam although my grandfather who was the first son was named Frank Joseph after the Kaiser I was told, and the next son was then named William.

There was an ancestor named Dorothea Peters born in Germany and her father was listed as Carl Ludwig. Was this THE CARL LUDWIG? Her mother was also Dorothea Peters as was the custom in those days when the child was illigetimate. This had us mighty confused when we first discovered it until we learned of the custom. She was married to William Reining or Reinking in the US and this is actually where the double-headed, diamond centered "Duke of Reining" ring came from.

I was told we had an ancestor who was a Hessian soldier during the American Revolution and recently, through the American Hessian Society, I found in what is called "The Carleton Papers", letters to George Washington by General Carleton about the treatment and privilages of the captured Hessian officers in Philadelphia that were quite unlike the enlisted captured who were sent to Virginia. Anyway, two Dukes Reinking were mentioned in these papers and one documented as having commanded the ship Carolina that took the released troops home after the war.

Back to Wm. lV. The family story is that after William lV died that one or two of his daughters served as ladies in waiting at one time or another to their cousin Victoria. William did bring his children to Buckingham Palace from Clarence House when he became King and sent his Dorothy to Paris since he was required to marry the German princess who unfortunately was unable to produce an heir. I think two babies died. Oh yes, I remember being told that she was very kind to William's children and that they liked her very much.

This is quite a story I know and I am having a devil of a time verifying it. Of course there is more, such as Bertie visiting the family in N.Y. incognito to visit Lily Langtry etc. It couldn't all be made up I shouldn't think because what would be the point? It is pretty amusing in any case. I hope I gave you a chuckle at least.
I only put the quote in here because of the last part - but if anyone can verify the rest - at first she had the wrong person - this is her previous message....

Quote:
Attempting to verify family lore is certianly difficult. The Duke of Reining or Reinking is elusive. I was told that one of our great grandmothers was first cousin to Victoria, the Czar and the Kaiser. It involves "princes and princesses of the blood" and at the time the story was related to me I was told so much it didn't all sink in unfortunately. I suspect William's ten illegitimate children of the connection. One or two were ladies in waiting to Victoria after William's death and our eldest cousin who is now gone had personal items belonging to Victoria, particularly a pair of bloomers. Of course, it was 40 years ago that I heard the stories and I never dreamed I would be on this search one day. We do have the ring though, so we know he (the duke)existed. It is intriguing.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Two obvious things which stand out...
Quote:
I was told that my Great Grandmother was first cousin to Victoria, the Czar and Kaiser...my grandfather...was named Frank Joseph after the Kaiser.
She's getting her Kaisers mixed up. "Frank Joseph" must be Franz Josef, Emperor of Austria, which doesn't fit into her story at all.

Quote:
The Duke of Reining or Reinking is elusive
Well yes, quite elusive. Maybe she means "Reigning Duke" but reigning duke of what?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Commoner

The French revolution

I have a question and the royal line of Chabot during the revolution. I have a hobby that I enjoy concerning that of Ancestry. I have connected my line to that of Clovis I "Roi d'tous l'Franches". I haven't been too concerned with the royals until I realized the connection. When I was a child my great uncle told me we still have relatives that we need to be concerned about so I should not be interested in the connect in our line to that of France. It really was a thing that mystified me. Now that I see the connecting I want to understand more about the revolution. I have also seen the connection with the French royals of Rohan-Chabot, although I am not sure of the connect to the French throne. I would like to see how much every knows about who was executed and how many of the Royal Chabot's were executed. The line I am connected to is that of Jacques Chabot born in 1548. The connection is with his first wife and that he divorced and not with his second marriage to Anne Auphilly. His first wife was
Catherine Dubois and after have a child with her he divorced her.

The child was Jacques Chabot born in 1568 and he married
Marie Le Moyne.

They had a son and named him Jean Chabot, he was born in 1605. He married
Jeanne Rodé and she gave birth to Mathurin.

Mathurin Chabot decided to moved to Quebec after the death of his father and of his mother. Mathurin did so before the revolution took place and Quebec, New France had fallen to England by the time the revolution had taken root. This protected Mathurin's children and descendants from the disastrous outcome of the french revolution. How would the divorce have affected the conecction to the Rayals though? I have seen the connection in my tree to the Rohan-Chabot although it is not a direct connection. The connection is that of the sister that married Rohan. The real question that I have is, how many of the Royal Chabot's were executed during the French revolution?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Two obvious things which stand out...
She's getting her Kaisers mixed up. "Frank Joseph" must be Franz Josef, Emperor of Austria, which doesn't fit into her story at all.

Well yes, quite elusive. Maybe she means "Reigning Duke" but reigning duke of what?
Her response -
Quote:
Sorry to be so confusing. I know all about Dorothy Bland (Mrs. Jordan.) My goodness! In all, she had 16 children! We are not related to Lily Langtry. Bertie was said to have visited the family when he came to N.Y. to visit her when she was here and the family provided good cover.

The only title we are aware of is The Duke of Reining. Other than the American Revolutionary war documents mentioning the Hessian Duke Reinking, we have not been able to verify the stories and it is certianly frustrating, but we do have his ring. I remember being told we were connected to the Habsburg-Loraine line and that may be the key. It was formed after the death of Maria Theresa I believe. The other ramblings I subjected you to are just other known ancestors.

The remaining story I have been unable to verify is one of a banished Duke. The family story is that he was banished because he married a Hungarian gypsy. They came to America. We do not know who he was or even if he stayed. I have found that Landgrave George William of Hesse-Darmstadt (ancestor of many royals of the 19th century) had a son who was banned to Hungary but so far I have found no explanation for this banishment and no indication he eventually came to America. Could we have his ring?

The death certificate of Dorothea Peters Reining from Mecklenburg lists her father as Carl Ludwig. The Prince of Mecklenburg? We don't know, except that she had the same name as her mother which leads us to believe she was illegitimate.

All our relatives were German except for the Salisburys which is another mystery. They were here in upstate N.Y. early enough to have fought in the Revolution against our Hessian ancestors. We are looking for a Salisbury, Reining connection because our grandmother's maiden name was Salisbury and our grandfather's mother was Dorothea Reining and those two were distant cousins. We are unaware of a Salisbury title however.

There is a story about an Archbishop that I don't recall well enough to relate other than to say he is purported to have cheated his brother out of his inheritance in order to buy the position and I have no idea who he was or the date but it may have something to do with the Salisburys because everyone else was German.

Titles after the Revolution didn't mean much here and were dropped which also makes it more difficult for us.

Thanks for you interest anyway and I see I must just keep plugging away. I have enjoyed our contact and I hope that puzzles such as this amuse you. Marilyn on The Mt. in Vermont
Doesn't quite make any sense does it?!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Commoner

I am involved with ancestry for my family line and have been doing so for almost a year now. I have ran into something that has frustrated me. I found an instance where Mathurin Chabot from Quebec had his father listed as Jehan instead of Jean. I did some researcb and found that Jehan is old medievel french. Jean was born in 1607. Was it normal for medieval french to be used in 1607? I have his father as Jacques Chabot born 1568 and baptised in 1578. I have his mother as Jeanee Jacques. I would llaike to contact the church in St Hilaire where Jean and Jeanee Rodé were married to get a copy of the marriage in hopes that the father and mother are listed. I am just not sure what the phone number and or address are.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Exclamation -----

http://www.ancestry.com

Very interesting.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Aristocracy

Hahahaha! Like ancestry really helps for things like this... I mean really. I've been searching for years to confirm a few things and it's just a train wreck half the time.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Nobility

Ancestry may have more information, but searching is much harder with their new system. Plus not everyone told the truth or could remember when they immigrated. I have found a lot of misinformation regarding quite a few relatives.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Meg View Post
Hahahaha! Like ancestry really helps for things like this... I mean really. I've been searching for years to confirm a few things and it's just a train wreck half the time.
you are so correct about that. The only thing ancestry does really is to get a record for you. Then if you are looking for somnthing earlier than the 1600s the records get slim. The best bet is to look into a bibliography if you can find one. Then there is the probalen I have with the very early french. Maybe I will figure this out.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Looking for my Polish Royal lineage...

Hi, my name is Victoria. I'm a professional photographer, writer, musical agent, Mom, unschooler and spiritual energy healer. I have a newly published book here (so you can see who I am): www.myspace.com/rockstarsofthe80sand90s

I was hoping that maybe someone here can help me, or point in the right direction to someone who is very proficient in Polish history. Even in things that maybe alot of people don't know about. My great grandmother came from Warsaw, Poland, somewhere between 1900 and 1907 into Ellis Island, while the Revolution was going on there. She was fleeing for her life, came alone and never saw her family there again. I am positive that she comes from Polish Royalty and I am desperately searching for our Royal family lineage that may be left in Poland, or maybe another country. There are several people looking. If there is someone out there who can help me with this, I would be eternally grateful, and you can contact me on this forum and at VictoriaEM11@hotmail.com. Thank you. I'm happy to have found this forum. :)

Blessings,
Victoria
Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Commoner

I found something very curious and large enough to make your head hurt or at least cause a train wreck. Go to google and type in the search bar "National dictionary of biography", if your looking for someone you can not find for your ancestry search it might help. To narrow the list put the name of the country your person may be in.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Nobility

Hello and welcome to the forums. I hope that you find the answers to the questions you seek here.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaEM11 View Post
I am positive that she comes from Polish Royalty
It's too vague. The Jagiellons, the last ruling dynasty, became extinct in the male line in 1572. From 1573 Poland had a system of Elective Kings. Houses included Valois, Habsburg, Jagiellon, Báthory, Vasa, Wisniowieecki, Sobieski, Saxony, Leszczynski and Poniatowski.

The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth which incorporated the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania ceased to exist in 1795, by which time the territories had been broken up and incorporated into the neighbouring empires of Russia, Prussia and Austria. Poland and Lithuania as States thus disappeared until they were re-established in 1918.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Commoner

In my ancestry searching I have seen this to be the case as well with the last name that of the town, county, or country. I konw they did not use the word county but I do not know the term that was used. In the start of the second millenium I found the first Chabot in my line, Pierre Chabot. He was the son of Guiliaume VIII. After he started to use the last name of Chabot it stuck and so the saying that the name Chabot came from the latin I believe is true. It has been said that he was born in the town of Chabot and would explain why he took on the name. I have researched for some evidence that the town Chabot did exist but I have not had any luck in this endevor. I suppose that the name must have been changed after Aquitaine went to the control of France or maybe after France conquered it at the end of the hundred years war in 1449. Does anyone know any further detail. :)
Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmmusser View Post
My wife and I are trying to trace her family tree. The farthest we can get on her mothers side is to Andy J Anderson. From what we have heard is that he is from Russian royalty. He has 2 sisters that Came to the United States around 1910-1920 with him. His real name is Duke Alexei(Alexey?) Von Verischlaaufen(SP?)(pronounced, Var(long A)-i-shlof-in). Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Michael
I have a group called Ancestry and your family road blocks. I have put some posts on it also that may help you with the process on your search.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmmusser View Post
I tried the Russian forum and was told That von is a German prefix.
Here is my original post:

My wife and I are trying to trace her family tree. The farthest we can get on her mothers side is to Andy J Anderson. From what we have heard is that he is from Russian royalty. He has 2 sisters that Came to the United States around 1910-1920 with him. His real name is Duke Alexei(Alexey?) Von Verischlaaufen(SP?)(pronounced, Var(long A)-i-shlof-in). Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Michael

Edit: I talked to the wifes uncle tonight and he told me it may be Duke Of Lexi Von Varischlaaufen(SP?)
von is a German or dutch prefix and when it is in front of a name it means, "of the".
Old 03-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosb00 View Post
I am trying to gather information about the " Bobonis " familly,
up to this point i have uncovered that they are linked to the " Orsini " familly, in what way im not sure, because the information is a little trivial. I have also learned that the Bobonis are also linked to the Bovenchi familly. It is supposed that Bobonis was a powerful noble familly in the middle ages, in italy, but again the information is trivial and lacks any specific details..

please let me know if somebody knows any information.

An important thing to remember when looking for a person in the middle ages is that often thier last name was of the town of country they were born in. If they were an important person the last name would be of the country they were born. Some would hold more than one title for example. De la Aquitaine, De la Nutrasia. They may have been the ruler over more than one kingdom.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
I heard that the Morman church has one of the best sites for tracing your family tree, has anyone used this site? If so, how do I find it?
Thanks for your help
I have also used thier site. I was a little nervous about it at first as I thought that they might pester me but none of that has taken place. I have had some trouble tring to find the record that they base thier info on at times but the info seems to match what I see elsewhere on the net. I like records though. Marriage records I have found can tell the parents names. Really if you want real proof you need to have a record. It makes me feel like my work is not in vain. However I think vanity is what driues what we do.

Tags
adel, british, caumont, francois, germany, grabowski, henri, inheritance, jenison-walworth, la force, lineage, marquis de castelneau, mecklenburg-strelitz, multiple, raugraf von heidelberg, royal, royal poland lineage revolution 1900, scottish, secret, the bourg family titles?