The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-07-2015, 07:02 PM

French Royalty 1860's - 1920's Baroness of Lamballe

Hi,

I was wonderiing if you could help me. I aquired five photo albums in an auction all from France.
They start in the late 1850’s and go to the 1920’s. I believe they are from a royal, aristocratic
or famous family. Two of the albums have crowns on the front cover. Three have initials on the
front covers, VL, EL & TG. Not many are identified, there are Garreau families and a few with names
of Ponce de Leon & Raphaella. There are two, which I attached, that are signed to “Madame la Baron de la Lamballe”
The only thing I can find on that title
was a Lady In Waiting to Marie Antoinette which is the wrong time period of these photos obviously!!
I am in the process of scanning these photos front and back, but it takes quite a bit of time. Over past
two days I have scanned two of the large albums (200 photos each mainly cdv’s) and a small cdv album (25 cdv’s)
I have two more albums left to scan and they are mainly from the 1860’s – 1880’s with lots of military,
a sheik, and important looking people (200 in each). Any help on who the Baroness of Lamballe is
would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87 Madamme La Baron de la Pombelle05062015_0000.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	294764   Click image for larger version

Name:	87 Madamme La Baron de la Pombelle05062015_0002.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	294765   Click image for larger version

Name:	114 unidentified05062015_0000.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	294766   Click image for larger version

Name:	114 unidentified05062015_0001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	294767  

Old 05-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

My impression is that the two pictures aren't signed to the Baroness de Lamballe but to "Madame la Baronne de La Tombelle".

Back to the second half of 19th century there was a Baron [Fernand] de La Tombelle, who was born in 1854 and died in 1920, who was a French organist and composer. He was married to Henriette Delacoux de Marivault, who became Baroness de La Tombelle after their marriage, and who was a writer under the name of Camille Bruno.
I haven't seen any picture of the Baronne de La Tombelle, but it's possible that the woman in your card is her.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:25 PM

You are correct. I just finished scanning the 4th album and it is loaded with stage actresses and actors, dignitaries and such. A number signed to her. There is even a hand doodled and signed card by Emile Ettling, another composer. I saved the 5th album for last to be scanned as it looks like a lot of famous people in it. I hope there are more that have signatures on the back, so I know who they are. Thanks for your reply, it definitely put me on the right track.