Titles of the Belgian Royal Family 1: Ending Aug.2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jazmin

Commoner
City
Bruxelles
Country
Belgium
Belgian Titles

Hi!, i wanna know how many tittles exist in Belgium and what are that, i just know about the duque and duchess of Brabant

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry but i cant understand all the titles thing, someone can explain me please?

The title of "Duke of Brabant" alludes to the Duchy of Brabant, the main region of the Habsburg Netherlands.

From An Ard Ri's mention of
Duke of Brabant - Wikipedia.
The article mentions "In the modern Kingdom of Belgium the title of 'Duke of Brabant'" was revived as an "honorific title".

As Prince Albert de Liege's Children were the King Nephews the received no tittle.
When Albert II became King this oldest Son, our Heir was titled Duke de Brabant.

King Leopold III gave to his second son Albert the tittle of Prince de Liege.

King Albert I tittled his second son Charles Comte de Flandres who was still alive when Albert was born.

Perhaps King Philippe will tittle Elisabeth Duchess of Brabant when she is 18 years old and give to his 2 sons tittles when they get married.

Perhaps King Philippe will tittle Elisabeth Duchess of Brabant when she is 18 years old and give to his 2 sons tittles when they get married.

I thought Princess Elisabeth was already Duchess of Brabant since her fathers accession to the throne?

The other titles previously used by the Belgians Royal Family were ; Prince & Princess of Liège , Count & Countess of Hainaut Count & Countess of Flanders,the last were abolished by Albert II.

Last edited:
Yes, Princess Elisabeth is already the Duchess of Brabant, since King Philippe's accession.
The title of Duke of Brabant is automatically bestowed on the eldest child of the King (or in future Queen) of the Belgians.

Yes, Princess Elisabeth is already the Duchess of Brabant, since King Philippe's accession.
The title of Duke of Brabant is automatically bestowed on the eldest child of the King (or in future Queen) of the Belgians.

Is will be interesting to see if a future husband of Princess Elisabeth will also be styled as Duke of Brabant like in Sweden where Prince Daniel is also styled Duke of Västergotland. Or if they follow the dutch example where a future husband of Pricness Catharina-Amalia will not ber stlyed as Prince of Orange.

I wonder also if we'll ever see another Prince & Princess of Liège?

I wonder also if we'll ever see another Prince & Princess of Liège?

Don't think so as King Albert II. abolished all the Titles used by the Royal Family with the exception of Duke/Duchess of Brabant in 2001 short before the birth of Princess Elisabeth. Reason was that they are referring to either cities or Regions in Flanders or the Wallonie.

Is will be interesting to see if a future husband of Princess Elisabeth will also be styled as Duke of Brabant like in Sweden where Prince Daniel is also styled Duke of Västergotland. Or if they follow the dutch example where a future husband of Pricness Catharina-Amalia will not ber stlyed as Prince of Orange.

I personally like the Swedish model...although I have a feeling they'll follow the Dutch one.
It seems quite unlikely, but it would be nice if Philippe could restore all the titles (as honorific of course) and give them to all his children, the way they do in Sweden. Not just the Prince of Liège but also the Count of Flanders and Count of Hainaut and even some brand new title (there's plently of royal children to represent the whole nation :lol::lol::lol::lol:)

Well, I'm not sure about how much correct is the paragon with the Dutch model. I mean, the title of Prince of Orange is a personal title of the eldest child of the sovereign of The Netherlands and can't be shared with his/her spouse. This means that the husband of the Princess of Orange doesn't has the title of Prince of Orange, but also that the wife of the Prince of Orange isn't Princess of Orange (the most recent example is Queen Maxima, who - before becoming Queen - was simply HRH Princess Maxima of The Netherlands, while her husband was HRH the Prince of Orange.
Instead the title of Duke of Brabant has always been shared by his wife - i.e. Mathilde was officially titled HRH the Duke of Brabant. Under this point of view, the usage of the title of Duke/Duchess of Brabant is more similar to the usage of the Swedish titles.
But to know exactly what will happen we just have to wait for the marriage of Princess Elisabeth.

Belgian Titles

If, for instance, Princess Maria Laura of Belgium grew up and married a commoner, would he get any title from his marriage to her?

I'd be very grateful for anyone who would be kind enough to help me!

Thank you very much.

since Princess Maria Laura is 7th in line to the throne now, but one day she will be outclassed by her cousins' children and her brother's children, it's unlikely her future husband will get any title. she will be simply known as Princess Maria Laura, Mrs XY.
Probably only Princess Elisabeth's husband will be granted a title, since she's the heiress to the throne and he will most likely be her Prince Consort when she'll succeed her father (though probably she will keep the title of Duchess of Brabant for herself, just like the Princess of Orange) ... I'm not even sure Princess Eleonore's husband will receive the same treatment.

All Prince Lorenz girls are born TR &IHH Archduchesses of Habsbourg Este and Princesses of Belgium and will remain until the end of their lifes.
I don' remember if Archduke Otto's girls married noblemen ?

The Belgians have a most peculiar (and in my eyes unlucky) system. The Royal Decree of 2 December 1991 says the following: "[....] the title Prince or Princess of Belgium will be granted to the Princes and Princesses whom will be born by our descendants in direct line [....]"

This means that the title is hereditary to all descendants of King Albert II, in both the male and female lineage. This leads to a staggering 22 Princes/Princesses of Belgium today and this will only increase, causing an inflation of that title. To answer your question: when this Royal Decree is not adapted, children of Archuchess Maria Laura of Austria-Este , Princess of Belgium can become Prince(ss) of Belgium indeed but NOT Archduke (Archduchess) of Austria-Este, since that is only hereditary via the male lineage.

Last edited:
[...]I don' remember if Archduke Otto's girls married noblemen ?

Archduchess Monika
married Luis María Gonzaga de Casanova-Cárdenas y Barón, Duque de Santángelo (a Spanish Duke).

Archduchess Michaela
married first Eric Alba Teran d'Antin (a French aristocrat)
and married secondly Hubertus Graf von Kageneck (a German Count).

Archduchess Gabriela
married a commoner, Christian Meister.

Archduchess Walburga
married Axel Archibald Greve Douglas and Angus (a Swedish Count)

:flowers:

Last edited:
Archduchess Monika
married Luis María Gonzaga de Casanova-Cárdenas y Barón, Duque de Santángelo (Spanish nobility).

Archduchess Michaela
married first Eric Alba Teran d'Antin (French nobility)
and married secondly Hubertus Graf von Kageneck (German nobility).

Archduchess Gabriela
married a commoner, Christian Meister.

Archduchess Walburga
married Axel Archibald Count Douglas and Angus (Swedish nobility).

:flowers:

and the oldest Archduchess Andreas married Hereditary Count Karl Eugen of Neipperg, who will once day succed his father as head of this mediatized House.

Last edited:
The Belgians have a most peculiar (and in my eyes unlucky) system. The Royal Decree of 2 December 1991 says the following: "[....] the title Prince or Princess of Belgium will be granted to the Princes and Princesses whom will be born by our descendants in direct line [....]"

This means that the title is hereditary to all descendants of King Albert II, in both the male and female lineage. This leads to a staggering 22 Princes/Princesses of Belgium today and this will only increase, causing an inflation of that title. To answer your question: when this Royal Decree is not adapted, children of Archuchess Maria Laura of Austria-Este , Princess of Belgium can become Prince(ss) of Belgium indeed but NOT Archduke (Archduchess) of Austria-Este, since that is only hereditary via the male lineage.

Since Prince Amedeo is getting married this summer, we will see if King Philippe will release a new decree to change things (this should be the case). As you said in ... let's say 15 years ... there may be 30 or even more Princes of Belgium. I read somewhere that King George V reformed the princely title system because of numerous Princes of the United Kingdom existing all around Europe

and the oldest Archduchess Andreas married Hereditary Count Karl Eugen of Neipperg, who will once day succed his fathhr succeed as head of this mediatized House.

Oops, how could I forget Archduchess Andrea, yes you are totally right!

Since Prince Amedeo is getting married this summer, we will see if King Philippe will release a new decree to change things (this should be the case). As you said in ... let's say 15 years ... there may be 30 or even more Princes of Belgium. I read somewhere that King George V reformed the princely title system because of numerous Princes of the United Kingdom existing all around Europe

In 2002 in the Netherlands the Royal House Act has been modernized. The thought of the lawmaker: the titles Prince(ss) of the Netherlands and Prince(ss) of Orange-Nassau must express a close bond to the Bearer of the Crown. Since 2002 only the children of a King and of a Heir will get these titles. Special provisions are made in the Act for special cases, like the spouse of the King or the Heir.

Result: only the daughters of Willem-Alexander are Princess of the Netherlands and Princess of Orange-Nassau. The children of his brothers Friso and Constantijn do not have these titles.

The Belgians can follow this example: the title Prince(ss) of Belgium is only for children of a King or a Heir. This means that the children of the younger Princes can have another title, like in the Dutch example.

Last edited:
If, for instance, Princess Maria Laura of Belgium grew up and married a commoner, would he get any title from his marriage to her?

I'd be very grateful for anyone who would be kind enough to help me!

Thank you very much.

Strictly speaking, he will not, and neither will the fiancée of her brother Prince Amedeo. By the royal decree of December 2, 1991 (effective December 15, 1991), spouses of Belgian princes(ses) do not bear titles by marriage.

Even so, King Albert II created the spouses of Prince Philippe, Princess Astrid, and Prince Laurent Princes(ses) of Belgium in their own right. It remains to be seen whether King Philippe shall do likewise for Prince Amedeo's fiancée and the future spouses of his siblings.

In the event that Princess Maria Laura chooses to call herself Mrs. XY after marriage, it is unlikely to be appended to her formal title. No other princess of Belgium (by blood) is formally styled in Belgium with her husband's surname or title.

So if King Phillipe decides not to grant Amadeo's wife a Belgian title she will be Archduchess Amadeo of Austria-Este with no Belgium title?

Yes. Prince Lorenz has also various tittles , such as Duc de Bar.

Sweden seems to have the same problem, though not quite enshrined in law as in Belgium. In any case, I am pretty sure they will eventually limit the hereditary transmission of the title at some point.

Sweden seems to have the same problem, though not quite enshrined in law as in Belgium. In any case, I am pretty sure they will eventually limit the hereditary transmission of the title at some point.
As far as I understand the situation in Sweden, it's the monarch who decides what title, if any, a member of the royal family is to have. By the time the children of Madeleine and Carl Philip are old enough to have children of their own it's most likely Victoria who are the monarch and my guess is that it's unlikely that she will create her grandnieces and grandnephews as prince(ess) of Sweden, nor give them any ducal titles. Do remember that Gustav V took away the royal titles from his grandsons when they married commoners.

By the time the children of Madeleine and Carl Philip are old enough to have children of their own it's most likely Victoria who are the monarch and my guess is that it's unlikely that she will create her grandnieces and grandnephews as prince(ess) of Sweden, nor give them any ducal titles.

-->> And maybe they will be happy to be less visible, out of the limelight. Depends on their upbringing of course, but in Madeleines case I can see this clearly happening.

.... Do remember that Gustav V took away the royal titles from his grandsons when they married commoners.

-->> Well, these were different times and a different law was in place when it came to marriages.

If a Belgian princess married an ordinary man…

As far as I understand the situation in Sweden, it's the monarch who decides what title, if any, a member of the royal family is to have. By the time the children of Madeleine and Carl Philip are old enough to have children of their own it's most likely Victoria who are the monarch and my guess is that it's unlikely that she will create her grandnieces and grandnephews as prince(ess) of Sweden, nor give them any ducal titles. Do remember that Gustav V took away the royal titles from his grandsons when they married commoners.

-->> And maybe they will be happy to be less visible, out of the limelight. Depends on their upbringing of course, but in Madeleines case I can see this clearly happening.

-->> Well, these were different times and a different law was in place when it came to marriages.

How should I put this without having the post deleted... I'm absolutely sure that if Victoria and Daniel had one or two more children Madeleines children wouldn't have any royal titles.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom