The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

But where is the primary source for your claim that the official birth certificate was filled out wrongly and not corrected already by three months (!) after, when it was published?

According to which sources are the birth certificate, the letters from Princess Astrid's household, and the plentiful statements from the Palace constantly wrong, allegedly?

The decree of November 12, 2015, which was indeed signed by the King and contrasigned by the Government, is here.
Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad
It does not say that all descendants of King Leopold I are princes and princesses, but it indeed means that at least a portion of them will be.

Moreover, I would not consider the birth certificate, the spokesmen for the Palace, or Princess Astrid's advisor to be secondary sources.
The link you provided to the State Gazette speaks about Princes (Princesses) of Belgium.

Article 1
The Princes and the Princesses, children and grandchildren, born in a direct descendance to the King,
as well as the Princes and the Princesses, children and grandchildren, born in a direct descendance to the Crown Prince or Crown Princess, bear the title of Prince or Princess of Belgium

-> This does not apply to Anna-Astrid: she is no child or grandchild of the King or the Crown Princess

Article 2
The Princes and the Princesses, children and grandchildren, born in a direct descendance to His Majesty King Albert II, bear the title of Prince or Princess of Belgium

-> This does not apply on Anna-Astrid: she is no child or grandchild to King Albert II

Article 3
The Princes and Princesses, who already hold the title Prince or Princess of Belgium, keep this title.

-> This does not apply on Anna-Astrid: she was born after this Decree

Article 4
The Princes and Princesses, born in a direct descendance to Leopold I von Sachsen-Coburg, and who are not covered by Articles 1 to 3, carry after their first name and their family name, as far as they conduct these, the titles that belong to them according to their ascendance.

-> This does not apply on Anna-Astrid: she is no direct descendant to King Leopold I, she is the granddaughter of a Belgian Princess (one can argue that Amedeo is a "direct descendant" via his mother, but Anna-Astrid is a descendant of a Von Habsburg father and a Rosboch von Wolkenstein mother). She is an indirect descendant to Leopold I.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So. Where does the title "prinses Anna-Astrid" come from? Article 4? Is she regarded as "geboren uit de nakomelingschap in rechte lijn van / issus de la descendance directe" to Leopold I von Sachsen-Coburg?

She is not. She is no Sachsen-Coburg. She is a Habsburg. But let us assume she is regarded as a "direct descendant" then also Alexandra and Leopoldo Moncada are "direct descendants'. And when Maria-Laura von Habsburg marries a British gentleman, Mr Harry Smith, then their daughter is a "direct descendant" too? Prinses Laura Smith?

But let us assume that indeed Article 4 is applicable indeed. Then one can not say that it applies on individual A but not on individual B: the daughter of Amedeo von Habsburg is "prinses" and the daughter of Maria Laura Smith née Von Habsburg is no "prinses". Then one is discriminating within the same Article 4.

For so far the "logic" and "easy to understand" Belgian arrangement for the titulature.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The decree of November 12, 2015, which was indeed signed by the King and contrasigned by the Government, is here.
It does not say that all descendants of King Leopold I are princes and princesses, but it indeed means that at least a portion of them will be.
I guess that depends on how you interpret Art. 4 of the 2015 royal decree. Just to provide some context, let us examine first what the previous royal decrees said.

1) Royal Decree of 18/3/1891

"Art. 1er. Dans les actes publics et privés qui les concernent, les princes et les princesses issus de la descendance masculine et directe de feu Sa Majesté Léopold Ier, seront qualifiés de princes et princesses de Belgique, à la suite de leurs prénoms et avant la mention de leur titre originaire de duc ou duchesse de Saxe.
Les princesses unies par mariage aux princes de notre maison royale seront qualifiées de la même manière à la suite des noms et titres qui leur sont propres
"

2) Royal Decree of 2/12/1991

"Art. 1er. Dans les actes publics et privés qui les concernent, les Princes et les Princesses issus de la descendance, en ligne directe de S.A.R. le Prince Albert,(...), Prince de Liège (sic), Prince de Belgique, seront qualifiés Princes et Princesses de Belgique, à la suite de leurs prénoms.
Art. 2. L'arrêté Royal du 18/3/1891, qualifiant Princes et Princesses de Belgique les Princes et Princesses issus de la descendance de feu Sa Majesté Léopold Ier, est abrogé."

3) Royal Decree of 12/11/2015

"Article 1er. Dans les actes publics et privés qui les concernent, les Princes et les Princesses, enfants et petits-enfants, issus de la descendance directe du Roi ainsi que les Princes et les Princesses, enfants et petits-enfants, issus de la descendance directe du Prince héritier ou de la Princesse héritière portent le titre de Prince ou de Princesse de Belgique à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils les portent, de leur nom de famille et de leur titre dynastique et avant les autres titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance. Leur prénom est précédé par le prédicat Son Altesse Royale.

Art. 2. Dans les actes publics et privés qui les concernent, les Princes et les Princesses, enfants et petits-enfants, issus de la descendance directe de Sa Majesté le Roi Albert II portent le titre de Prince ou de Princesse de Belgique à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils les portent, de leur nom de famille et de leur titre dynastique et avant les autres titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance. Leur prénom est précédé par le prédicat Son Altesse Royale.

Art. 3. Les Princes et les Princesses qui portent le titre de Prince ou de Princesse de Belgique en vertu de l'arrêté royal du 14 mars 1891 qualifiant Princes et Princesses de Belgique les Princes et Princesses issus de la descendance masculine et directe de feu Sa Majesté Léopold Ier gardent ce titre à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils le portent, de leur nom de famille et avant les autres titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance. Leur prénom est précédé par le prédicat Son Altesse Royale.

Art. 4. Les Princes et Princesses, issus de la descendance directe de Sa Majesté Léopold, Georges, Chrétien, Frédéric de Saxe-Cobourg qui ne sont pas visés par les articles 1er à 3, portent à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils le portent, de leur nom de famille, les titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance."

It appears to me that the only reasonable interpretation for the the words "les princes et princesses, issus de la descendance [...]" in all those documents is to take "prince" and "princess" as synonyms of "dynasts", which would be consistent with both French and Germanic tradition. The separate title of "Prince/Princess of Belgium", which implies membership of the royal family and the style of HRH (cf. Arts 1-3 of the 2015 royal decree) applies, on the other hand, only to a more restricted class of persons.

It is also clear to me that "descendance en ligne directe" in those decrees is meant to be descendance both in paternal and maternal line. Otherwise, Art.1 of the 1991 royal decree would not apply to Princess Astrid's children and they would not be Princes/Princesses of Belgium. If the legislator had the intention to constrain the meaning of "descendance directe" to paternal line, then he would have written instead "descendance masculine et directe" as was done explicitly in the royal decree of 1891. The fact that "masculine" was explicitly dropped in the royal decrees of 1991 and 2015 seems intentional to me.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

So. Where does the title "prinses Anna-Astrid" come from? Article 4? Is she regarded as "geboren uit de nakomelingschap in rechte lijn van / issus de la descendance directe" to Leopold I von Sachsen-Coburg?

She is not. She is no Sachsen-Coburg. She is a Habsburg. But let us assume she is regarded as a "direct descendant" then also Alexandra and Leopoldo Moncada are "direct descendants'. And when Maria-Laura von Habsburg marries a British gentleman, Mr Harry Smith, then their daughter is a "direct descendant" too? Prinses Laura Smith?

But let us assume that indeed Article 4 is applicable indeed. Then one can not say that it applies on individual A but not on individual B: the daughter of Amedeo von Habsburg is "prinses" and the daughter of Maria Laura Smith née Von Habsburg is no "prinses". Then one is discriminating within the same Article 4.

For so far the "logic" and "easy to understand" Belgian arrangement for the titulature.

You have expressed my doubts better than I could. That is exactly my point. I am afraid though that the entire concept of "direct descendant" can be twisted by the fact that they all are in the line of succession and this way anyone can claim to be a direct descendant of Leopold I.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
You have expressed my doubts better than I could. That is exactly my point. I am afraid though that the entire concept of "direct descendant" can be twisted by the fact that they all are in the line of succession and this way anyone can claim to be a direct descendant of Leopold I.
The concept of "direct descendant" is not so hard to grasp. It means simply that someone is a child, grandchild, great-grandchild , great-great-grandchild, etc. of someone else, as opposed to a nephew/niece, or grandnephew/grandniece for example. The only lingering doubt is if "direct descendance" can also be claimed in maternal line, or if it applies in paternal line only. As I wrote before, I understand the wording in the royal decrees of 1991 and 2015 is meant to signify cognatic direct descendance, as opposed to male-line direct descendance.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Would it be an option for the King to reinstate abolished titles like Comte de Flandres in the future?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old 02-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The concept of "direct descendant" is not so hard to grasp. It means simply that someone is a child, grandchild, great-grandchild , great-great-grandchild, etc. of someone else, as opposed to a nephew/niece, or grandnephew/grandniece for example. The only lingering doubt is if "direct descendance" can also be claimed in maternal line, or if it applies in paternal line only. As I wrote before, I understand the wording in the royal decrees of 1991 and 2015 is meant to signify cognatic direct descendance, as opposed to male-line direct descendance.
No, it isn't difficult to grasp that concept. What is hard for me to grasp instead is the practicality of having dozens and dozens of princes/princesses (yes, I got they will be rather different from those in the main line) in the future who won't be close to the throne. I like the way the british royal family deals with this business: the farther from the throne, the lesser your title...
Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The concept of "direct descendant" is not so hard to grasp. It means simply that someone is a child, grandchild, great-grandchild , great-great-grandchild, etc. of someone else, as opposed to a nephew/niece, or grandnephew/grandniece for example. [...]
Quote:
[...]

It is also clear to me that "descendance en ligne directe" in those decrees is meant to be descendance both in paternal and maternal line. Otherwise, Art.1 of the 1991 royal decree would not apply to Princess Astrid's children and they would not be Princes/Princesses of Belgium. If the legislator had the intention to constrain the meaning of "descendance directe" to paternal line, then he would have written instead "descendance masculine et directe" as was done explicitly in the royal decree of 1891. The fact that "masculine" was explicitly dropped in the royal decrees of 1991 and 2015 seems intentional to me.
I find those to be very sound points. Indeed, if "direct descendants" (or "Princes and Princesses") meant the male-line direct descendants only, then Princess Astrid's children would not be Princes/ses of Belgium under the 1991 (or the 2015) royal decree.

Quote:
Article 1. In the public and private acts relating to them, the Princes and the Princesses born in descendance in direct line from H.R.H. Prince Albert, Felix, Humbert, Theodore, Christian, Eugene, Marie, Prince of Liege, Prince of Belgium, will be referred to as Princes or Princesses of Belgium, following their first names.
Moreover, while there is lingering doubt if Article 4 of the 2015 decree is applicable to a princess's child, there is no doubt that it is applicable to a prince's child, given that it has been applied to Amedeo's daughter.

I wish to underline that thus far all the reliable sources - I have quoted them here, the birth certificate included - state that the child's primary title is Princess Anna Astrid. As yet, no reliable sources have disputed the birth certificate or the information provided by the Palace.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:15 PM
Majesty

I do not contest the birth certificate but Belgium is not exactly known for it's accuratesse. The marriage of Anna-Astrid's own parents comes to mind. The Royal Court seemed taken by surprise by press questions if Prince Amedeo did request permission or not. Also the titulature of Elisabetta remained foggy. It was as if they were unprepared amateurs. When you simply look at the four articles it remains a mystery where that "princess first-name" thing comes from:

- article 1 covers the children and grandchildren of the King and the Duchess of Brabant: not applicable to Anna-Astrid
- article 2 covers the children and grandchildren of King Albert II: not applicable to Anna-Astrid
- article 3 covers the ones already holding the title Prince (Princess) of Belgium: not applicable to Anna-Astrid
- article 4 covers the descendants in direct lineage to Leopold I: not applicable to Astrid she is a granddaughter to a descendant of Leopold)

It almost looks like the title "prinses Anna-Astrid" is the result of a discutable interpretation of Article 4 (or more likely, seeing the vaudeville around the marriage) just sloppy amateurism of the Household.

In Dutch - about the fact that Amedeo retroactively requested permission, six months áfter his marriage, and that this was given, with Government and Parliament discutably keeping themselves dumb and dumber about the legal infringements to spare embarrassment to the palace:
http://m.knack.be/nieuws/belgie/amed...on-665243.html
Old 02-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I second Duc_et_Pair. The Belgium court has clearly shown that they don't know what they are doing.

My understanding was that indeed in 1991 was decided to make all descendants princes and princess of Belgium. At that point they were a little worried about Laurent becoming the future king as his brother didn't show any desire to marry while Astrid had children that could secure the throne if necessary. Clearly, they didn't think it through as nobody would want an uncountable number of princes and princesses of Belgium in the next decades.

Therefore, in 2015, this was reversed by reserving the title of prince(ss) of Belgium to children and grandchildren of the king or heir. For the great-grandchildren of the king this means that they rely on the title and name that their lineage entitles them to, which is by their father and not including the prince(ss) of Belgium title, unless their mother would have a title or name with a special provision that it might be given to her descendants (which in Belgium seems to be the case for normal surnames but not for titles of nobility).
Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I do not contest the birth certificate but Belgium is not exactly known for it's accuratesse. The marriage of Anna-Astrid's own parents comes to mind. The Royal Court seemed taken by surprise by press questions if Prince Amedeo did request permission or not. Also the titulature of Elisabetta remained foggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I second Duc_et_Pair. The Belgium court has clearly shown that they don't know what they are doing.
Yes, the Royal Family has had moments of unpreparedness and errancies, such as embarrassingly forgetting the permission for Prince Amedeo's marriage. But with Anna Astrid's title of Princess, they have recurrently given the identical information, without any variances, and so there is a clear decision.

More importantly, the birth certificate designating her "Princess" is legal documentation issued by the municipal registry, not the royal court.

Also considering that there are no reliable sources disputing the municipal registration or the information from the Palace, I see no basis for suspecting that King Philippe's intentions were not followed.

Quote:
When you simply look at the four articles it remains a mystery where that "princess first-name" thing comes from:
[...]
- article 4 covers the descendants in direct lineage to Leopold I: not applicable to Astrid she is a granddaughter to a descendant of Leopold)
But Astrid and Anna Astrid are descendants in direct lineage to Leopold I. Princess Anna Astrid's father Prince Amedeo of Belgium is the son of Princess Astrid of Belgium, daughter of King Albert II of Belgium, son of King Leopold III of Belgium, son of King Albert I of Belgium, son of the Count of Flanders, son of King Leopold I of Belgium.

Quote:
For the great-grandchildren of the king this means that they rely on the title and name that their lineage entitles them to, which is by their father and not including the prince(ss) of Belgium title,
Yes, Anna Astrid relies on the titles and surname of her father, minus the "Prince of Belgium" title.

Prince Amedeo, Prince of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine)
Princess Anna Astrid, Archduchess of Austria-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
Sure they are decreasing the number of Princes/Princesses of Belgium, but giving children from a collateral branch the same title as the main branch is rather messy, I think you all can agree on that. If it is true that the family has started using the German family name again (and therefore the titles as well), than the collateral branches should use lower titles (ducal ones for instance), the way they do in The Netherlands, for example, while still being part of the extended royal family.
I wouldn't present the Dutch as the best example in this case. It has been very messy... with different decisions in each generation.

We seem to have had the difference between the 'prince(ss) of the Netherlands' title that was reserved for children of the monarch and heir; and 'prince(ss) of Oranje-Nassau' for all others but somehow the Dutch parliament decided that prince Constantijn's children couldn't receive the 'prince of Oranje-Nassau' title. If the problem was that he had received his title through his mother not his father, his children should only have been 'jonkheer/vrouw van Amsberg', creating a new noble house (twice, both for Constantijn and a few years later for Friso) with the name 'van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg' of which the first part is 'count' and the second part is 'jonkheer' was very illogical in my opinion. If that wasn't the issue, his children should have been prince(sse)s of Oranje-Nassau, just like his cousin's children are prince(sse)s of Bourbon-Parma.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Also considering that there are no reliable sources disputing the municipal registration or the information from the Palace, I see no basis for suspecting that King Philippe's intentions were not followed.
Is it really just the king's intentions that are important? Wouldn't this be dependent on law? Which is at the very least multi-interpretable.

Quote:
Yes, Anna Astrid relies on the titles and surname of her father, minus the "Prince of Belgium" title.

Prince Amedeo, Prince of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine)
Princess Anna Astrid, Archduchess of Austria-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine)
No, she doesn't in my point of view (but I know you think differently). The princess part apparently relies on his 'prince of Belgium' title, so, no she doesn't rely on her father's titles minus the prince of Belgium part for her titles... He is a prince of Belgium, that's why he is a prince. She apparently is called princess because her father is a prince of Belgium, which she shouldn't be (as that is the part of his title that he cannot pass on to his children). Before he became a prince of Belgium he was an archduke first and foremost (and only a prince of Hungary as a secondary title), so she should be an archduke.

Furthermore, do we already know for sure how her mother Elisabetta is to be addressed?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Is it really just the king's intentions that are important? Wouldn't this be dependent on law? Which is at the very least multi-interpretable.
My previous comment was addressed to the suggestion that the "Princess" title in the birth certificate and announcements was sloppy writing instead of being the intention of the King and his Royal Decree. It is a different question whether King Philippe's intentions were dependent on law.

Quote:
No, she doesn't in my point of view (but I know you think differently). The princess part apparently relies on his 'prince of Belgium' title, so, no she doesn't rely on her father's titles minus the prince of Belgium part for her titles... He is a prince of Belgium, that's why he is a prince.
I do think that it is clear from the decrees and Amedeo's birth certificate that the prince title does not rely on the prince of Belgium title.

Have you read posts #199 and #222? I think they address your thoughts.

Titles of the Belgian Royal Family
Quote:
It is a reversion to pre-1891 rules.

Before the Royal Decree in 1891, all of the royal Belgian princes and princesses were without a designation.

The report accompanying the Royal Decree stated that the princes and princesses were not called "of Belgium" in Belgium, unlike in foreign countries, where they were referred to by the name "of Belgium".

When Prince Baudouin died in January 1891, there was discomfort with his death certificate because there was no "of Belgium" or characteristically Belgian title on it (while his Saxony titles were recognized on Belgian documents).

The Royal Decree of March 14, 1891 resolved the problem by granting the title of Prince/Princess of Belgium to all of the Princes and Princesses who were in direct male line descent from King Léopold I.

Royal Titles in Belgium - Titres Royaux en Belgique

Quote:
I guess that depends on how you interpret Art. 4 of the 2015 royal decree. Just to provide some context, let us examine first what the previous royal decrees said.

1) Royal Decree of 18/3/1891

"Art. 1er. Dans les actes publics et privés qui les concernent, les princes et les princesses issus de la descendance masculine et directe de feu Sa Majesté Léopold Ier, seront qualifiés de princes et princesses de Belgique, à la suite de leurs prénoms et avant la mention de leur titre originaire de duc ou duchesse de Saxe.
Les princesses unies par mariage aux princes de notre maison royale seront qualifiées de la même manière à la suite des noms et titres qui leur sont propres
"

2) Royal Decree of 2/12/1991

"Art. 1er. Dans les actes publics et privés qui les concernent, les Princes et les Princesses issus de la descendance, en ligne directe de S.A.R. le Prince Albert,(...), Prince de Liège (sic), Prince de Belgique, seront qualifiés Princes et Princesses de Belgique, à la suite de leurs prénoms.
Art. 2. L'arrêté Royal du 18/3/1891, qualifiant Princes et Princesses de Belgique les Princes et Princesses issus de la descendance de feu Sa Majesté Léopold Ier, est abrogé."

3) Royal Decree of 12/11/2015

"Article 1er. Dans les actes publics et privés qui les concernent, les Princes et les Princesses, enfants et petits-enfants, issus de la descendance directe du Roi ainsi que les Princes et les Princesses, enfants et petits-enfants, issus de la descendance directe du Prince héritier ou de la Princesse héritière portent le titre de Prince ou de Princesse de Belgique à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils les portent, de leur nom de famille et de leur titre dynastique et avant les autres titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance. Leur prénom est précédé par le prédicat Son Altesse Royale.

Art. 2. Dans les actes publics et privés qui les concernent, les Princes et les Princesses, enfants et petits-enfants, issus de la descendance directe de Sa Majesté le Roi Albert II portent le titre de Prince ou de Princesse de Belgique à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils les portent, de leur nom de famille et de leur titre dynastique et avant les autres titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance. Leur prénom est précédé par le prédicat Son Altesse Royale.

Art. 3. Les Princes et les Princesses qui portent le titre de Prince ou de Princesse de Belgique en vertu de l'arrêté royal du 14 mars 1891 qualifiant Princes et Princesses de Belgique les Princes et Princesses issus de la descendance masculine et directe de feu Sa Majesté Léopold Ier gardent ce titre à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils le portent, de leur nom de famille et avant les autres titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance. Leur prénom est précédé par le prédicat Son Altesse Royale.

Art. 4. Les Princes et Princesses, issus de la descendance directe de Sa Majesté Léopold, Georges, Chrétien, Frédéric de Saxe-Cobourg qui ne sont pas visés par les articles 1er à 3, portent à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils le portent, de leur nom de famille, les titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance."

It appears to me that the only reasonable interpretation for the the words "les princes et princesses, issus de la descendance [...]" in all those documents is to take "prince" and "princess" as synonyms of "dynasts", which would be consistent with both French and Germanic tradition. The separate title of "Prince/Princess of Belgium", which implies membership of the royal family and the style of HRH (cf. Arts 1-3 of the 2015 royal decree) applies, on the other hand, only to a more restricted class of persons.

Quote:
Furthermore, do we already know for sure how her mother Elisabetta is to be addressed?
The royal court has styled her as Princess Amedeo of Belgium and as Princess Elisabetta (never Princess Elisabetta of Belgium).

http://www.facebook.com/BeMonarchie/...84077428522557
koninklijkepost.punt.nl
Old 02-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
My previous comment was addressed to the suggestion that the "Princess" title in the birth certificate and announcements was sloppy writing instead of being the intention of the King and his Royal Decree. It is a different question whether King Philippe's intentions were dependent on law.
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
I do think that it is clear from the decrees and Amedeo's birth certificate that the prince title does not rely on the prince of Belgium title.
It was you who said that her titles derived from her father's titles minus the prince of Belgium title. So, I am glad to see that you agree with me on this issue. The question remains where the 'princess designation' comes from.

Quote:
Have you read posts #199 and #222? I think they address your thoughts.

Yes, of course. I just question that interpretation - but it's always interesting to read others' interpretations. In short, I agree that the intend is that male and female lineage should be treated the same. So, it is clear that the prince(ss) of Belgium title is to be passed on in female lineage as well. However, since the last decree for non-(grand)children (such as great-grandchildren) this seems irrelevant as the title has been restricted and they rely on their father's (and mother's?) titles (except for the prince of Belgium title).

So, the interesting question would be, which title it is that they are entitled to based on their royal ascendance, as it is NOT the 'prince(ss) of Belgium title... And a royal decree cannot govern other titles (such as the archduke/duchess of Austria-Este title). Some of you seem to suggest that it is the title 'prince or princess' without a designation but that is one I find really hard to phantom. Could it be the S-C(-G) title they are talking about? As the name of king Leopold I is also included as 'of Saxe-Coburg'? So, did any of king Leopold I's descendants already start using a(nother) title based on this royal decree?

I am not trying to say that my interpretation is the right one (I'd say it is still evolving), just would like all of us to acknowledge that it is multi-interpretable and anyone of us could be right or wrong. As we've seen, interpretation isn't straight-forward.

Quote:
The royal court has styled her as Princess Amedeo of Belgium and as Princess Elisabetta (never Princess Elisabetta of Belgium).

http://www.facebook.com/BeMonarchie/...84077428522557
koninklijkepost.punt.nl
So, as I seemed to remember, they haven't been consistent in the way they address her. Early on in the marriage they seemed to actively avoid addressing her with a title.

It is about time that they clearly communicate how they will go about the titles of the wifes of the grand-child princes and the great-grandchildren...
Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Royal Highness

What I meant to stress was that the facts of her registration on her birth certificate as "Princess Anna Astrid Marie", and the Royal Court consistently addressing her as "Princess Anna Astrid", are facts on the record rather than mere speculation.

The logic or illogic of the decisions made by the Brussels registrar and the Royal Court, and if the wording of the royal decree accurately provided for the king's apparent intent or not, are open to interpretation, absolutely.

I have tried to abstain from interpreting the vague portions of the decree. So, it remains unclear to me if the intent is to treat paternal and maternal lineage the same, specifically Amedeo's children opposite his sisters' hypothetical children.

Quote:
Some of you seem to suggest that it is the title 'prince or princess' without a designation but that is one I find really hard to phantom.
As the entire royal family used the title of prince or princess without a designation until 1891, likewise Amedeo until 1991, I think it makes sense that a great-grandchild without "of Belgium" has reverted to the pre-1891/1991 title.

Quote:
It was you who said that her titles derived from her father's titles minus the prince of Belgium title. So, I am glad to see that you agree with me on this issue. The question remains where the 'princess designation' comes from.
I am slightly confused by your comment. When the prince designation does not rely on the prince of Belgium title, the prince designation is capable of being passed on to his daughter without the prince of Belgium title, surely?

Quote:
Could it be the S-C(-G) title they are talking about? As the name of king Leopold I is also included as 'of Saxe-Coburg'? So, did any of king Leopold I's descendants already start using a(nother) title based on this royal decree?
The Palace confirmed to Le Soir that "de andere titels die hun rechtens hun ascendentie toekomen" in the decree is applicable to the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha titles. However, the decree states that those titles are used after the name, and so they are thereby separate from the "prince/ss without a designation" title, which is used before the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
[...] Indeed, the discovery of the social book of 2017, all the descendants of King Albert I recovered the title, except the children of the princess, who take the name of their father, the Archduke of Austria-Este. [...]

La famille royale s'appelle à nouveau Saxe-Cobourg: pourquoi est-ce bientôt la fin des "de Belgique"? - RTL Info
Quote:
The article is about the yearbook Le Carnet Mondain. Last week Le Soir stated that in the current edition, all of the royal descendants of King Leopold I have gained the titles of "Duchess/Duke of Saxony, Prince/ss of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha" - exempting Princess Astrid's descendants and the late King Albert I (the king who renounced the German titles in 1921).
Their wives and husbands do not carry these titles.
The daughter of Prince Amedeo of Belgium is styled "Princess Anna Astrid" with no surname or further titles.
Le Carnet Mondain states that this information was presented to them by the royal palace.
Quote:
The spokesperson of the royal palace confirmed to Le Soir that the Saxony titles are covered by the expression "the titles which their ancestry gives them the right to", appearing in articles 1-4 of the royal decree of 2015.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

To add more confusion to an already confusing thread, I looked up how Prince Lorenz was addressed in Belgian documents before he was made a Prince of Belgium. The goal of this exercise was to figure out how his Austrian titles appeared in Belgian documents.

First, see below an excerpt from the Transition Provisions (Title IX) of the constitution of Belgium itself. The following article has to do with the constitutional amendment that introduced equal primogeniture in the succession to the throne. Since Princess Astrid entered the line of succession after she had already got married to Lorenz, a special provision had to be inserted in the constitution to give retroactive consent to her marriage so that she would not lose her place in the line of succession under the terms of Art. 85.

Quote:
I. Les dispositions de l’article 85 seront pour la première fois d’application
à la descendance de S.A.R. le Prince Albert, Félix, Humbert, Théodore, Christian,
Eugène, Marie, Prince de Liège, Prince de Belgique, étant entendu que le mariage
de S.A.R. la Princesse Astrid, Joséphine, Charlotte, Fabrizia, Elisabeth, Paola, Marie,
Princesse de Belgique, avec Lorenz, Archiduc d’Autriche-Este, est censé avoir
obtenu le consentement visé à l’article 85, alinéa 2.
Note that Astrid, as a Princess of Belgium, is referred to by the style HRH (S.A.R. in French), but Lorenz is not styled HI&RH.

Next, see an excerpt of King Albert II's royal decree of 10/11/1995 that created Lorenz a Prince of Belgium in his own right. Again, the style HI&RH is not used to refer to Lorenz, with the caveat, however, that, in this particular case, Astrid is not styled HRH either.

Quote:
Art. 1er. Dans les actes publics et privés qui le concernent, l'Archiduc Lorenz – Otto – Carl - Amedeus d'Autriche-Este, époux de Notre Fille bien-aimée, la Princesse Astrid – Joséphine – Charlotte – Fabrizia – Elisabeth – Paola - Marie, Princesse de Belgique, sera qualifié Prince de Belgique à la suite des noms et titres qui lui sont propres.
Note also that, in the agenda at the website of the Royal House, Astrid and Lorenz are always styled Their Royal Highnesses (which is their proper style in Belgium), but never Their Imperial & Royal Highnesses. For example:

Quote:
Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Elisabeth, le Prince Gabriel, le Prince Emmanuel et la Princesse Eléonore, Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Astrid et le Prince Lorenz, Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Claire, le Prince Nicolas et le Prince Aymeric assistent également au concert.
Quote:
Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Astrid et le Prince Lorenz assistent aux funérailles de S.M. le Roi Michael I de Roumanie. La cérémonie se déroule à Bucarest.
Overall, I don't think there is a legal basis to use the style HI&RH in Anna-Astrid's birth certificate as it was done, probably at the insistence of her parents or, more likely, of her grandparents. She can still be called a princess under Art.4 of the 2015 royal decree as a descendant in direct line of King Léopold I, but she cannot be called a princess of Belgium (which she correctly was not in her birth certificate) or be styled HRH. Her Austrian style of HI&RH, like her father's before here, is probably not recognized in Belgium.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Majesty

Considering Anna-Astrid a "descendant in direct lineage" of Léopold I is really a stretch too far. Note that Amedeo is born a Habsburg (yes, created Prince of Belgium later in life). Astrid married into the House of Austria-Este and her children are Archdukes and -duchesses of Austria-Este because of their paternal descent.

The complete nobiliary system in Belgium works on paternal descendance. Mathilde, Paola, Fabiola, etc.: all aristocrat ladies because their father, their grandfather, their great-grandfather, etc. did procreate the noble dynasty.

Anna-Astrid is the granddaughter of a Belgian Princess. There are two generations between her and a direct lineage of father on son starting with Léopold I. If we consider her "a direct descendant", boy... where is the end? The many, many descendants of Joséphine-Charlotte in Luxembourg come to mind. Are they also "direct descendants"? No. Of course not. They are direct descendants of the Kings of France, of Spain and of the Dukes of Parma. They are indirect descendants of Leopold I, in the usual understanding of that concept in terms of nobility and royalty.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Royal Highness

But if one considers descendants not in the paternal lineage to be "indirect descendants", then how does one explain that Amedeo is a Prince of Belgium? As Mbruno noted, the royal decree of 1991 made only the princes(ses) in direct lineage of the future Albert II "Princes or Princesses of Belgium".

Further, Article 1 of the royal decree of 2015 reserves the inherited "Prince/ss of Belgium" title to princes(ses) in direct lineage of the King and of the Crown Princess. Would you say then that the children of Princess Eléonore will not be Prince/ss of Belgium?

Quote:
To add more confusion to an already confusing thread, I looked up how Prince Lorenz was addressed in Belgian documents before he was made a Prince of Belgium. The goal of this exercise was to figure out how his Austrian titles appeared in Belgian documents.

First, see below an excerpt from the Transition Provisions (Title IX) of the constitution of Belgium itself. The following article has to do with the constitutional amendment that introduced equal primogeniture in the succession to the throne. Since Princess Astrid entered the line of succession after she had already got married to Lorenz, a special provision had to be inserted in the constitution to give retroactive consent to her marriage so that she would not lose her place in the line of succession under the terms of Art. 85.

Quote:
I. Les dispositions de l’article 85 seront pour la première fois d’application
à la descendance de S.A.R. le Prince Albert, Félix, Humbert, Théodore, Christian,
Eugène, Marie, Prince de Liège, Prince de Belgique, étant entendu que le mariage
de S.A.R. la Princesse Astrid, Joséphine, Charlotte, Fabrizia, Elisabeth, Paola, Marie,
Princesse de Belgique, avec Lorenz, Archiduc d’Autriche-Este, est censé avoir
obtenu le consentement visé à l’article 85, alinéa 2.
Note that Astrid, as a Princess of Belgium, is referred to by the style HRH (S.A.R. in French), but Lorenz is not styled HI&RH.

Next, see an excerpt of King Albert II's royal decree of 10/11/1995 that created Lorenz a Prince of Belgium in his own right. Again, the style HI&RH is not used to refer to Lorenz, with the caveat, however, that, in this particular case, Astrid is not styled HRH either.

Quote:
Art. 1er. Dans les actes publics et privés qui le concernent, l'Archiduc Lorenz – Otto – Carl - Amedeus d'Autriche-Este, époux de Notre Fille bien-aimée, la Princesse Astrid – Joséphine – Charlotte – Fabrizia – Elisabeth – Paola - Marie, Princesse de Belgique, sera qualifié Prince de Belgique à la suite des noms et titres qui lui sont propres.
Note also that, in the agenda at the website of the Royal House, Astrid and Lorenz are always styled Their Royal Highnesses (which is their proper style in Belgium), but never Their Imperial & Royal Highnesses. For example:

Quote:
Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Elisabeth, le Prince Gabriel, le Prince Emmanuel et la Princesse Eléonore, Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Astrid et le Prince Lorenz, Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Claire, le Prince Nicolas et le Prince Aymeric assistent également au concert.
Quote:
Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Astrid et le Prince Lorenz assistent aux funérailles de S.M. le Roi Michael I de Roumanie. La cérémonie se déroule à Bucarest.
Overall, I don't think there is a legal basis to use the style HI&RH in Anna-Astrid's birth certificate as it was done, probably at the insistence of her parents or, more likely, of her grandparents. She can still be called a princess under Art.4 of the 2015 royal decree as a descendant in direct line of King Léopold I, but she cannot be called a princess of Belgium (which she correctly was not in her birth certificate) or be styled HRH. Her Austrian style of HI&RH, like her father's before here, is probably not recognized in Belgium.

Thank you very much for the insights, Mbruno.

It seems that before Lorenz and his children were made Princes/ses of Belgium, the style HI&RH did appear in the municipal registry. The Le Soir article which I posted stated that the name on Amedeo's Belgian birth certificate was "[His] Imperial and Royal Highness, Prince Amedeo Maria Josef Carl Pierre Philippe Paola Marco d'Aviano Archduke of Austria-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine)". I also have read somewhere that Lorenz had the name "His Imperial and Royal Highness Archduke Lorenz (…) of Austria-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine)" in his Belgian marriage certificate, although in that case, I do not know what the source was.

Conversely, in all documents issued after they were created Princes of Belgium, the style HI&RH was dropped, as shown in your final examples. Lorenz is referred to as "H.R.H. Prince Lorenz of Belgium" in the State Gazette as well.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Commoner

So does the Princess Anna Astrid precedent suggest that Laurent's grandchildren will be Princes and Princesses although not "of Belgium"?
Old 02-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizier View Post
So does the Princess Anna Astrid precedent suggest that Laurent's grandchildren will be Princes and Princesses although not "of Belgium"?
Probably. But in Laurent's case a title like prins van Saksen-Coburg en Gotha would be a "logic" one as Laurent is a male agnate of that House. In the case of Astrid we see that her granddaughter, born in the House of Austria-Este and entitled to her father's many, many titles, is styled as "prinses" (without futher designation). It simply lacks a clear reason.

Tags
de belgique, prince of belgium, princess of belgium, surname, van belgië