State Visit from Turkey to Belgium: October 4-6, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marika86

Heir Apparant, Royal Blogger
City
Villa San Giovanni
Country
Italy
After a long time they had to accept or make state visits because of political developments all I can say is finally!!

The President and his wife have arrived in Belgium: Belga Image - Editorial

Seems like the official stuff with Philippe & Mathilde won't take place until tomorrow. Which makes sense since today is a Sunday.

Its great to have the State Visits back,I wonder will there be a gala banquet and perhaps a tiara event?

Its great to have the State Visits back,I wonder will there be a gala banquet and perhaps a tiara event?

I certainly hope so. it's hard to know with Belgium, but judging by the Chinese State Visit, my expectations are that we'll have a gala banquet tomorrow with tiaras.

I certainly hope so. it's hard to know with Belgium, but judging by the Chinese State Visit, my expectations are that we'll have a gala banquet tomorrow with tiaras.

I'm hoping it will follow those lines and we might see Princess Astrid present too!,maybe I hope for too much!

Don’t get too excited. This is essentially an official visit in everything but the name. :whistling:
Turkey was asking for a state visit for many years but didn’t get one since K Albert stopped hosting state visits in 2008. When King Philippe took over the then government invited the Turkish president. And Turkey was also chosen as guest of honour for the art festival Europalia 2015. Since then the political climate in Turkey changed, Erdogan became President and now the new government isn’t all too happy about the state visit. The Belgian-Turkish relations are considered as too important to cancel it though. So now it’s just an official visit which got the label state visit.
It seems there will be no gala dinner, just the official welcome, probably an informal dinner, many political talks and on Tuesday the Europalia opening which usually includes a lunch also. Erdogan will be awarded with the Order of Leopold, which was criticised of course. Today saw the arrival of the President who immediately started campaigning in Brussels and ended the day with a reception at the Turkish Embassy.

I hope 2016 will see incoming state visits which deserve the name and highlight te good relations between host and guest country.

And here’s a link for those who are interested in Europalia.
Europalia | International Arts Festival

I have read an article that the Belgium prime minister rather had it that the president stayed away, but the invitation was already sent. That Turkey is bombing the Kurds and that the president seems to have a shakey track record on democracy makes the visit embarrassing.

Anyway, the president came to open the festival "Europalia Turkije", which will happen tomorrow.

Source: Volkskrant

According to the VRT, the president received the Leopold order.

This afternoon there was a protest of Kurds at the Place de Luxembourg in Brussels. Though the president was also met by 3000 supporters at the Place Stephanie.

Turkse president Erdogan ontvangen door koningspaar

Edit: I see that Mara already posted much better explanation. My apologies!

Last edited:
I have read an article that the Belgium prime minister rather had it that the president stayed away, but the invitation was already sent. That Turkey is bombing the Kurds and that the president seems to have a shakey track record on democracy makes the visit embarrassing.

Anyway, the president came to open the festival "Europalia Turkije", which will happen tomorrow.

Source: Volkskrant

According to the VRT, the president received the Leopold order.

This afternoon there was a protest of Kurds at the Place de Luxembourg in Brussels. Though the president was also met by 3000 supporters at the Place Stephanie.

Turkse president Erdogan ontvangen door koningspaar

What a shame there won't even be a small dinner (that we see), though I understand why the Belgian Prime Minister isn't happy with this visit.

If I was the King and Queen I'd be glad I didn't have to share a meal with that ... man.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

That Turkey is bombing the Kurds and that the president seems to have a shakey track record on democracy makes the visit embarrassing.

Was the Belgian visit to China earlier in the year embarrassing? It doesn't even bother trying to look like a democracy and has a questionable human rights record.

I personally think it is wrong to tone up or tone down the state visit program depending on what you think of your guest. If the actions of Turkey or whatever country involved are really that intolerable to you as the host government, then don't issue an invitation.

Was the Belgian visit to China earlier in the year embarrassing? It doesn't even bother trying to look like a democracy and has a questionable human rights record.

I personally think it is wrong to tone up or tone down the state visit program depending on what you think of your guest. If the actions of Turkey or whatever country involved are really that intolerable to you as the host government, then don't issue an invitation.

I agree. The president of China had a full state dinner at Laeken with tiaras and all. If the Belgian government didn't want to give the same treatment to Erdogan, then they should have referred to his visit as an official working visit rather than a state visit.

I agree. The president of China had a full state dinner at Laeken with tiaras and all. If the Belgian government didn't want to give the same treatment to Erdogan, then they should have referred to his visit as an official working visit rather than a state visit.
Do we know that it was the host that did not want a full scale dinner or did the guests let it be known that they did not want it?

Their Majesties don't look happy at all. It's understandable but very unprofessional, the invitation was sent, nothing more could be done

The president´s wife looks so... ridiculous....!

The Lord Mayor of Brussels Mr Yvan Mayeur was not happy at all.

l' Avenue Louise (location of our best shops ) was blocked yesterday afternoon by 10 huge black cars.
Mrs President did her shopping. She baught a handbag !

That is not the most diplomatic message she could have sent, especially when you know that your visit is considered as controversial. Or maybe President and his wife were so angry that the visit had no proper ladies program that they decided to leave there own stamp by this very visible shopping tour?

I am somewhat disappointed by lack of grandeur. However, the situation in Europe and in the Middle East are tense. So the low-key visit is understandable.

Since when is Yvan Mayeur, the most incompetent Mayor ever, in charge over who is received and who not?

The president´s wife looks so... ridiculous....!

Well she's no Sheikha Moza but for a woman her age who chooses to wear a hijab she looks fine. A bit on the dowdy side but fine.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Indeed, there is nothing wrong with Mrs Erdogan. The former First Lady, Mrs Gül, looked the same (picture).

Last edited:
Indeed, there is nothing wrong with Mrs Erdogan. The former First Lady, Mrs Gül, looked the same (picture).

The difference we see between Mrs Erdogan and Mrs Gül (who looked an absolute delight at the State visit in Sweden) is that the former dresses a bit more plainly than the latter who in her vibrant colours seems more flamboyant and into fashion- think Stephanie of Luxembourg and Queen Max...

Maybe Mrs Erdogan is a more conservative lady than Mrs Gül but on itself there was hardly a difference in dresscode between the two, to be honest.

That is not the most diplomatic message she could have sent, especially when you know that your visit is considered as controversial. Or maybe President and his wife were so angry that the visit had no proper ladies program that they decided to leave there own stamp by this very visible shopping tour?

The whole visit has been handled very badly IMO. Why give an unwelcome guest your highest order and then put on as little pomp as possible? Why not even pretend to look like you want to be there when posing for official photos with your guest?And then there is the King's strange decision to go about with a large Turkish flag pin on his lapel all day! ( see image here: Anadolu October Bucket | Getty Images)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom