The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

State Visit from Turkey to Belgium: October 4-6, 2015

De Belgische Monarchie: Home - Actueel - Agenda - Staatsbezoek - Europalia Turkije

Quote:
At the invitation of Their Majesties the King and Queen bring HE Mr. Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President of the Republic of Turkey and Mrs. Emine Erdogan a state visit to Belgium. During the state visit to officially open the President of Turkey and Mrs. Erdogan together with the King and Queen the festival Europalia Turkey.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Royal Highness

So the Belgian royal couple will have two consecutive state visits from Turkey and then to Poland pratically in a row, after having just been recently to China ! That's what I call busy royals.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

After a long time they had to accept or make state visits because of political developments all I can say is finally!!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

The President and his wife have arrived in Belgium: Belga Image - Editorial

Seems like the official stuff with Philippe & Mathilde won't take place until tomorrow. Which makes sense since today is a Sunday.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its great to have the State Visits back,I wonder will there be a gala banquet and perhaps a tiara event?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Its great to have the State Visits back,I wonder will there be a gala banquet and perhaps a tiara event?
I certainly hope so. it's hard to know with Belgium, but judging by the Chinese State Visit, my expectations are that we'll have a gala banquet tomorrow with tiaras.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
I certainly hope so. it's hard to know with Belgium, but judging by the Chinese State Visit, my expectations are that we'll have a gala banquet tomorrow with tiaras.
I'm hoping it will follow those lines and we might see Princess Astrid present too!,maybe I hope for too much!
Old 10-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

Don’t get too excited. This is essentially an official visit in everything but the name.
Turkey was asking for a state visit for many years but didn’t get one since K Albert stopped hosting state visits in 2008. When King Philippe took over the then government invited the Turkish president. And Turkey was also chosen as guest of honour for the art festival Europalia 2015. Since then the political climate in Turkey changed, Erdogan became President and now the new government isn’t all too happy about the state visit. The Belgian-Turkish relations are considered as too important to cancel it though. So now it’s just an official visit which got the label state visit.
It seems there will be no gala dinner, just the official welcome, probably an informal dinner, many political talks and on Tuesday the Europalia opening which usually includes a lunch also. Erdogan will be awarded with the Order of Leopold, which was criticised of course. Today saw the arrival of the President who immediately started campaigning in Brussels and ended the day with a reception at the Turkish Embassy.

I hope 2016 will see incoming state visits which deserve the name and highlight te good relations between host and guest country.

And here’s a link for those who are interested in Europalia.
Europalia | International Arts Festival
Old 10-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Pics from today, October 5, can be found here:

** gettyimages gallery ** belga gallery ** belga/ANADOLU gallery **

** dpp gallery: Belgian King and Queen welcome Turkish president Erdogan **
Old 10-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I have read an article that the Belgium prime minister rather had it that the president stayed away, but the invitation was already sent. That Turkey is bombing the Kurds and that the president seems to have a shakey track record on democracy makes the visit embarrassing.

Anyway, the president came to open the festival "Europalia Turkije", which will happen tomorrow.

Source: Volkskrant

According to the VRT, the president received the Leopold order.

This afternoon there was a protest of Kurds at the Place de Luxembourg in Brussels. Though the president was also met by 3000 supporters at the Place Stephanie.

Turkse president Erdogan ontvangen door koningspaar

Edit: I see that Mara already posted much better explanation. My apologies!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I have read an article that the Belgium prime minister rather had it that the president stayed away, but the invitation was already sent. That Turkey is bombing the Kurds and that the president seems to have a shakey track record on democracy makes the visit embarrassing.

Anyway, the president came to open the festival "Europalia Turkije", which will happen tomorrow.

Source: Volkskrant

According to the VRT, the president received the Leopold order.

This afternoon there was a protest of Kurds at the Place de Luxembourg in Brussels. Though the president was also met by 3000 supporters at the Place Stephanie.

Turkse president Erdogan ontvangen door koningspaar

What a shame there won't even be a small dinner (that we see), though I understand why the Belgian Prime Minister isn't happy with this visit.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Gentry

No state banquet? Ohhh....!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew 24 View Post
No state banquet? Ohhh....!
It doesn't appear so.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Courtier

If I was the King and Queen I'd be glad I didn't have to share a meal with that ... man.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
That Turkey is bombing the Kurds and that the president seems to have a shakey track record on democracy makes the visit embarrassing.
Was the Belgian visit to China earlier in the year embarrassing? It doesn't even bother trying to look like a democracy and has a questionable human rights record.

I personally think it is wrong to tone up or tone down the state visit program depending on what you think of your guest. If the actions of Turkey or whatever country involved are really that intolerable to you as the host government, then don't issue an invitation.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Was the Belgian visit to China earlier in the year embarrassing? It doesn't even bother trying to look like a democracy and has a questionable human rights record.

I personally think it is wrong to tone up or tone down the state visit program depending on what you think of your guest. If the actions of Turkey or whatever country involved are really that intolerable to you as the host government, then don't issue an invitation.
I agree. The president of China had a full state dinner at Laeken with tiaras and all. If the Belgian government didn't want to give the same treatment to Erdogan, then they should have referred to his visit as an official working visit rather than a state visit.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I agree. The president of China had a full state dinner at Laeken with tiaras and all. If the Belgian government didn't want to give the same treatment to Erdogan, then they should have referred to his visit as an official working visit rather than a state visit.
Do we know that it was the host that did not want a full scale dinner or did the guests let it be known that they did not want it?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 AM
Nobility

Their Majesties don't look happy at all. It's understandable but very unprofessional, the invitation was sent, nothing more could be done
Old 10-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Serene Highness

The president´s wife looks so... ridiculous....!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

The Lord Mayor of Brussels Mr Yvan Mayeur was not happy at all.

l' Avenue Louise (location of our best shops ) was blocked yesterday afternoon by 10 huge black cars.
Mrs President did her shopping. She baught a handbag !

Tags
belgium, king philippe, queen mathilde, state visit form turkey, turkey