State Visit from Germany to Belgium: March 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I am sure the Austre Este family have many sparkling jewels of their own for the women to wear. Certainly they must have before Astrid married in. She has worn jewels and tiaras before now, when the bandeau was worn by her mother.

It is a Belgian tiara. Like I said, its great that Astrid be allowed to wear it. But why does it have to leave the Belgian royal family? While Paola was not meant to be queen, it was still remaining in the Belgian royal house. It would be like a tiara being given to Sofia or Madeleine. May not be intended for the queen (future) but still in the royal family. I prefer how the Swedes do it, that the majority of tiaras belong to the family, and are loaned to the varying ladies in the family. The king's sisters, wife, daughters and daughter in law all have access but they remain in the core. Considering the Belgians have so very few tiaras, and as Philippe's kids get older there will be 2 daughters and 2 daughter in laws needing tiaras for events, it seems fitting the tiara remain in the family collection.

The tiara has been worn by three reigning queens and one future (Mathilde on her wedding). That history should continue

The bandeau has never been worn by reigning Queens. It was not worn by Queen Fabiola and was deliberaty given to Princess Paola, spouse of a younger son (Prince Albert). It was Princess Paola's only real diadem so already almost 60 years ago the choice has been made that this jewel went to a junior line.

In contrary to what you state, the Austria-Este family has very few bijoux. What you see comes from Astrid's mother-in-law Archuchess Margarita of Austria-Este born Princess of Savoia-Aosta. It are her jewels which adorned Astrid's head. From her very own mother, a Princesse de Liège, later Queen of the Belgians, Princess Astrid received very little or nothing. The Savoia-Aosta jewels came in the house Austria-Este by marriage and inheritance. When Astrid indeed receives her mother's bandeau, then this fits in a long-standing tradition.

Note that Princess Elisabeth will be provided for, her life long. With money from the State and with properties from the Donation Royale. The three daughters of Princess Astrid however have to lead their own independent life and find a way to maintain their living by themselves. In that aspect Princess Elisabeth has little to complain. Overseeing all this, it is really not strange that Paola would like her only daughter Astrid to have her only diadem.

Last edited:
:previous:
Duc, you're not right when you say that the "bandeau has never been worn by reigning Queens", as Queen Elizabeth did wear the bandeau and there are plenty of photos that prove it.
That it was given to a younger son is right but it did not leave the Belgian Royal Family. If Astrid was given the tiara by her mother, after her death the tiara may not be seen for a very long time (from wedding to wedding and the odd Gotha gathering) and/or eventually sold, as tiara-wearing opportunities for her children are quite rare/almost nonexistent (and lets admit it - cash is important). And yes, I do know that Astrid and her children are Princes/Princesses of Belgium and that technically it will stay in the family, but it's sad that a very pretty and versatile jewel with that much family history attached to it might not grace the head of HM The Queen of the Belgians anymore. After all, it has been worn by (almost) every Queen of that country since the moment it came into Queen Elizabeth's possesion.
I second the opinins of others that a family foundation/trust is due for the Belgians in order to keep the family jewels and other valuable possessions together.

Anyway, I mist admit that I liked the way it looked on The Princess, as well as her overall appearance.

Just the two cents of a man who happens to like the bandeau very much and a bit sad that we might not see it often in the future...

Mods - I hope this post isn't far too OT here.

IMO these types of events are offensive - unnecessary displays of wealth and privilege.
They have no place in the 21st century IMO

:previous: It was a State Dinner, in which a reigning king and queen hosted the Head of State of an important EU nation-Germany. All involved dressed up for the occasion, which was indeed appropriate and necessary.

Should they have simply gone to McDonald's or ordered takeout Chinese?:sad:

Last edited:
The bandeau has never been worn by reigning Queens. It was not worn by Queen Fabiola and was deliberaty given to Princess Paola, spouse of a younger son (Prince Albert). It was Princess Paola's only real diadem so already almost 60 years ago the choice has been made that this jewel went to a junior line.

True, Fabiola never wore it. But Queen Paola did, so on that alone you are wrong to say no queen has worn it.

There are 3 queen consorts, 1 wife of a king, and one Crown Princess now queen who have all worn the tiara.

1. Queen Elizabeth, wife of Albert I. The tiara is said to have been made for her.

2. The tiara passed to her daughter in law, Queen Astrid who only wore it a few times before her death.

-It was also worn by Princess Lilian, the second wife of Leopold III (not a queen consort so she didn't make my first count)
_ban2.jpg

3. Queen Paola, worn both as a princess and later when she became queen
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Elisabeth's Diamond Bandeau

4. Mathilde wore it on her wedding day. Hasn't worn it as queen.

And of course both Princess Astrid and her daughter in law Lili have both worn it as well.

As for your comment about Elisabeth and money, just one of the reasons one hopes it does go to a foundation. One of the sad things is many of these beautiful tiaras end up in auctions. Many of the families need money and end up selling the jewels. You go from saying Astrid has all of these fancy events to attend and needs the jewels, to saying she is basically a common working person. I am getting whip lash here.

As I have said, I have no issue with Astrid wearing. Have said it until blue in my face in fact. I simply wish we would see a trust like in Sweden where the tiaras are maintained within the family. It would allow Astrid and her daughters to have access to the tiara when they needed for events, but would ensure it remained within the family and didn't end up another tiara auctioned off a generation or two down the line as sadly becomes the fait of many.

Last edited:
i don,t have a problem with a sense of occasion but the unecessary displayof jewelery bothers me.

On the upside I like how all of the French officials have been able to function without an overdressed bimbo at his side......royal men please take note

Were there French officials at a State Visit from Germany to Belgium?

I am pretty sure there were no French officials there :ermm: Are we grouping the German's president's companion in your derogatory comments on women, or just Astrid and Mathilde?:bang:

Or are you comparing this to the Dutch visit to France??? Hollande does have a woman at his side as his current mistress isn't official enough. And if she was, I am sure she would have been rocking the designer duds right along side Max. Political wives know the importance of dressing the part for official events, just as much as royals do.

Few pictures in newspaper, and on TV. they asked people of the street who is this Man, = Joachim Gauck , nobody knew who he was.
He was on State Visit in our Country, few german flags..... no interest.

Few pictures in newspaper, and on TV. they asked people of the street who is this Man, = Joachim Gauck , nobody knew who he was.
He was on State Visit in our Country, few german flags..... no interest.

We are living at a time where not even every german knows who his/ her head of state is...
People being asked on the street anywhere would most likely say "Angela Merkel"

There is often a poor public interest in Belgium anyway. Only for some occasions there is a public interest. Remember the desolate empty streets during Queen Fabiola's State Funeral... pic

IMO these types of events are offensive - unnecessary displays of wealth and privilege.
They have no place in the 21st century IMO

Sometimes royal jewels are owned by the State and held in trust by the Sovereign to perform his/her ceremonial representation role on behalf of the State. That is not the case though in Belgium. The tiaras worn by Mathilde and Astrid on the German banquet are both privately owned. If they want to wear them, it is nobody else's business then.

Back
Top Bottom