The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Does that mean Paola has decided to leave the Art Deco to Astrid ? I was afraid she might do something like that. IMHO, that tiara should remains the main branch of the Royal Family.
Astrid is Paola's only daughter and it is pretty normal that a mother leaves her bijoux to her very own girl, I think... The diadem is Paola's own property so on itself it is her good right to make her own choice. Astrid is married to the head of the prestigious House of Austria-Este, she has always been an exemplaric royal without any controverse so she "deserves" her own mother's diadem, I think.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:29 PM
Majesty

The Belgians have so few tiaras I hope it remains in the family. Perhaps Astrid be allowed its use for events when she chooses but it remains the property of the royal family. It was made for Queen Elizabeth, it would be great to see in Paola's granddaughter, the future Queen Elizabeth

Old 03-09-2016, 01:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I think it's something he bought at the garage-sale Henrik of Denmark had after retiring.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

True story, specially if you compare him to how well dressed Lorenz was.

And I do hope the Art Deco stays in the family, it's not as if the Belgians have an abundance of tiaras.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The Belgians have so few tiaras I hope it remains in the family. Perhaps Astrid be allowed its use for events when she chooses but it remains the property of the royal family. It was made for Queen Elizabeth, it would be great to see in Paola's granddaughter, the future Queen Elizabeth
Totally agree with you! There is very pity if this tiara leave from the Royal Family!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The hairdo doesn't look quite right for the Laurel Wreath.
You nailed it. When she has previously worn the Laurel Wreath it looked quite dramatic and very elegant. With this rather odd hairstyle, it looks half hidden and almost insignificant.

Then again, why ever would Mathilde choose this tiara lesser tiara, when her S-I-L make a big splash wearing such a magnificent and historic tiara? It doesn't seem to make sense.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:54 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Belgian Queen Mathilde (3-R) and Belgian King Philippe (2-R) shake hands with workers at the Audi plant, during a state visit with the German President in Brussels, Belgium, 09 March 2016.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 03-09-2016, 06:04 AM
Nobility

Belga Image - Editorial
State dinner.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Has anyone managed to work out what exactly Prince Laurent was wearing last night?

Belga Image - Editorial
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Something he considers elegant and comfortable I guess he has worn that outfit before during other evening events he attended, though not at a state banquet

** belga gallery - day 2 ** gettyimages gallery - day 2 **
Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I am sure Queen Mathilde did not know Princess Astrid would wear her mother's art deco tiara and will stole the show.
I agree 100 % with Duc , the Princess wore her greatgrandmother, grandmother and mother's tiara. Why all for Princess Elisabeth ???

What a shock for King Philippe and Queen Mathilde yesterday evening : Laurent without white tie and Sash, no Claire .. and the Deco tiara for Princess Astrid.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
You nailed it. When she has previously worn the Laurel Wreath it looked quite dramatic and very elegant. With this rather odd hairstyle, it looks half hidden and almost insignificant.

Then again, why ever would Mathilde choose this tiara lesser tiara, when her S-I-L make a big splash wearing such a magnificent and historic tiara? It doesn't seem to make sense.

In addition to the hairdo someone on Twitter said it looked like it was without the usual base and that's why it looks so small.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

In the future , will Queen Paola wear tiaras , I am not sure or abroad when tha actual Monarchs will not attend.
Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent did not smileat all. I hope we will see them for other State Visit.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

I wonder why Princess Claire wasn't there? Strange to see Prince Laurent alone, and in this suit. He clearly is not happy with his role.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Laurent and Princess Astrid did not enjoy the State Diner at all
Old 03-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Majesty

But if it not was there again everyone would say why don't went the King's brothers not invited or snubbed!!! The same story again and again!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent

It is not again and again , it is the first State Visit Dinner with their attendance.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Has anyone managed to work out what exactly Prince Laurent was wearing last night?

Belga Image - Editorial

I wonder if he wants to provocate by purpose. I understand if he´s cross with his parents, but why doing this to his brother?! In the beginning of the new reign he had so much positive to say about it...
If he really is cross, why did he attend at all?!

Everything put together, this particular royal family put on a poor, disharmonic show at this occasion Really wonder what the german presidential couple was thinking...?!
Still the king and queen tried their best.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Majesty

On Princess Astrid's diadem I would add: it was given to Donna Paola when she married Prince Albert. That means the diadem was already out of the main line since then. Because Princess Paola unexpectly became Queen in the 1990's it came in the direct line again but that the diadem "left" to a side-line was in fact already decided more than 60 years ago.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
It is not again and again , it is the first State Visit Dinner with their attendance.
Princess Astrdi also attended the State Dinner for the President of China.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I wonder if he wants to provocate by purpose. I understand if he´s cross with his parents, but why doing this to his brother?! In the beginning of the new reign he had so much positive to say about it...
If he really is cross, why did he attend at all?!

Everything put together, this particular royal family put on a poor, disharmonic show at this occasion Really wonder what the german presidential couple was thinking...?!
Still the king and queen tried their best.
Not only the royal family looked a bit disharmonic. Yesterday I saw M Siegfried Bracke (Chairman of the House of Representatives) in smoking. After seeing more pictures: he was not the only one. There was a mix of gentlemen in white tie, in smoking and in daily suit. It is a pity the dresscode was not more respected, to begin with Prince Laurent. If even royals do not care, how can one expect others to care?