State Visit from China: March 30 - April 1st, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mathilde appears to be wearing the base of the Nine Province Tiara with the blue dress she wore to Guillaume's pre-wedding dinner.

I agree. But a TV report about the denial of human rights in China last night, especially by this particular president and the mistreatment he puts upon fellow countrymen/-women who speak their mind, made me very sensible about this issue once more.
As I said before, being head of state of a democratic country I would also play the diplomatic game for the benefit of my country although my instincts would demand to stay away for sick leave...
Still I think the western countries are very hypocritical about human right issues: On the one hand they shower human right activists with awards, such as the nobel peace prize, to snub their respective leaders, but on the other hand we invite these leaders with all honours when it comes to trade businesses...:whistling:

You are so right. Very often principles are sold out for economic gain and a constitutional monarch as so very little say in such matters, if any. They are told to act in a way that benefits their country from the point of view of the elected government and that's that.

:previous:

4th in line to the British throne gets all sorts of flack from Amnesty International and the media for a weekend in Kazakstan - but there is no trade involved

King of the Belgians (by Government request) hosts visit for Chinese President - hopeful of trade, income and jobs

Has there been complaints in Belgium from the media or Amnesty?

Yes, I´ve been watching a clip from belgian television and there were some people from Amnesty protesting with banners in Brussels.

The Queen seems to look stunning. Pity the president doesn´t wear his Leopold Order; I guess he´s just wearing a miniature of it in a button hole?

Mathilde looks fabulous in that shade of blue. She is naturally elegant. Not a big fan of that particular tiara. Oh, well .... can't have everything!

I like the bottom part of the nine provices tiara worn on it's own but I was hoping to see Mathilde in the full tiara tonight-disappointed.

Imo, Mathilde makes the bandeau of the Nine Provinces Tiara look very beautiful.
But it is a pity that not even Astrid and Lorenz are there.

I like the bottom part of the nine provices tiara worn on it's own but I was hoping to see Mathilde in the full tiara tonight-disappointed.

I think we will only see the full version during a state visit of another monarch.

I think we will only see the full version during a state visit of another monarch.
I quite agree with you. It would have really surprised me, if she had worn the full version for the visit of the president of a republic. We tiara watchers just need to be more patient.

"Poor" Queen of Belgium has less and modest tiaras to choose than some deposed Queens...

"I think we will only see the full version during a state visit of another monarch"

I hope they will soon start to make "real" state visits abroad!

"Poor" Queen of Belgium has less and modest tiaras to choose than some deposed Queens...

"I think we will only see the full version during a state visit of another monarch"

I hope they will soon start to make "real" state visits abroad!

You're absolutely true IMO. Poor Queen Mathilde, she only has 2 tiara's: The Nine Provinces (well, in two forms) and her own Laurel Wreath Tiara.. Hopefully she will inherit the tiaras form Queen Fabiola once. If that happens, she already has 4 tiaras (of which at least two can be worn in two forms), although that's not really many for a Queen (compare it to the Dutch or the Swedish)..

That shade of blue complements her so well, I think that's a recycled dress from another gala, right?

That shade of blue complements her so well, I think that's a recycled dress from another gala, right?

yes, she wore it to Guillaume's pre-wedding dinner in 2012, as I mentioned earlier.

Imo, Mathilde makes the bandeau of the Nine Provinces Tiara look very beautiful.
But it is a pity that not even Astrid and Lorenz are there.
It is unfortunate that no one else from the Belgian royal family attended the banquet.

Astrid was there. Just saw her on the news.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using The Royals Community mobile app

shouldn't the dress code suppose to be highly formal on this kind of occasions? white ties and gala uniforms for men, long dresses and tiaras with orders for women? I was one of the pictures about and there's Andre Flahaut (president of the Chamber of Representatives) wearing a plain business suit. and why the President isn't wearing the Order of Leopold King Philippe gave to him yesterday?
I'm quite confused tbh

The Belgian royal residencies are huge and impressive. I really hope that Fabiola will bequeath her jewels to Mathilde so that there will be a jewellery collection to match for Princess Elisabeth one day. Although Fabiola only has two tiaras they are versatile and can be set with different stones and she also has some stunning necklaces, earrings etc so fingers crossed.

The Belgian royal residencies are huge and impressive. I really hope that Fabiola will bequeath her jewels to Mathilde so that there will be a jewellery collection to match for Princess Elisabeth one day. Although Fabiola only has two tiaras they are versatile and can be set with different stones and she also has some stunning necklaces, earrings etc so fingers crossed.

she really should give them to Mathilde...at least tiaras. She's the Queen now, queen consort to her beloved nephew Philippe, who she raised like a son. I understand she may have other nieces, but she's the only one who needs them. And Paola should loan her the beautiful Diamond Bandeau, at least when she's not attending official engaments.
As you said...one day the royal family will have two princesses and possibly two wives for the princes...this family is in desperate need of jewels (ok..maybe they're not...but we certainly are :whistling: :lol: )

Was it just the King & Queen present at the State Banquet from the Royal Family?

Forget about Fabiola's tiaras
70% inheritance taxes mean only one - all tiaras will be sold

Whatever we think about human rights in China (and I am sure the King and Queen have their own thoughts) it is thee economic superpower in the world today bar none. Phillipe and Mathilde therefore have to do what they can to ensure that Belgium establishes the best trade links it possibly can with that country. To have the Chinese president as their first visiting head of state since they came to the throne is a massive test, no question. I hope that everything goes well, especially the showpiece Royal Banquet tonight which is the main event.

While I agree that China is an economic superpower, the United States still is the world's largest economy and the dollar is still the preeminent currency

shouldn't the dress code suppose to be highly formal on this kind of occasions? white ties and gala uniforms for men, long dresses and tiaras with orders for women? I was one of the pictures about and there's Andre Flahaut (president of the Chamber of Representatives) wearing a plain business suit. and why the President isn't wearing the Order of Leopold King Philippe gave to him yesterday?
I'm quite confused tbh

at the end of the day, it is up to the person whether or not they wear orders. It is nice to wear an Order that has been gifted to you, but not mandatory.

As for the dress code, to each their own. There's always someone who doesn't quite fit with the dress code.

at the end of the day, it is up to the person whether or not they wear orders. It is nice to wear an Order that has been gifted to you, but not mandatory.

As for the dress code, to each their own. There's always someone who doesn't quite fit with the dress code.

Normally, at least inside Europe, it is mandatory! A King/ Queen giving an order to another monarch it would be quite unthinkable not to use it for the state banquet. The same goes for some presidents (Finnland, Portugal, some baltic states come to my mind here. Germany gaven it up some years ago when it comes to incoming state visits, but the german president naturally uses orders when he´s invited for a state visit in a monarchy).

African or asian rulers (with the exception of monarchs, such as Japan, Thailand, Brunei or Malaysia), wearing some sort of national costume for the banquet, often don´t use orders.
Of course, at official visits (not STATE visits) orders are sometimes exchanged but certainly not used for a less formal dinner than a state banquet.

Forget about Fabiola's tiaras
70% inheritance taxes mean only one - all tiaras will be sold

??? Queen Fabiola can hand over her jewels whom ever she wants to! "Will be sold" ? "Knowing" so positive, it sounds as if you were a member of the belgian royal family....

Back
Top Bottom