The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-08-2014, 03:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
It's a testament of how damaged the family truly is, you see the King and his siblings are somewhat close and came for Laurent in his hour of need but both him and Philippe tend to stay clear of their parents as much as possible, which is not hard because they only seem to appear to cause trouble, I don't honestly see them as the kind of grandparents who would stop at Laeken just to see the little ones and it is sad, because they are missing on a lot of good things and maybe the kids would feel a bit rejected since their grandparents aren't making an effort to be closer to them, who knows
I don't consider myself a relationship guru or an expert in body language, but I always felt there was something off between the old regent couple and the current king's children. I feel Philippe wants to protect them from his parents who caused him pain when he was a kid (because they really made him suffer). And I suppose when you're not a good parent, you can't be a good grand parent either...and it inevitably shows.
Now it comes to my mind a footage from an old family photoshoot where Philippe's kids go and give a peck on the cheek of Queen Fabiola...the King had always considered her has a motherly figure, and he taught his children to behave in a certain way with her...
What a troubled family...no surprise in the latest survey King Albert lost a lot of popularity and the King raised considerably, even surprisingly in the north of the Country

Sent from my GT-P5100 using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 06-08-2014, 03:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
According to magazine Humo, the Belgian RF has been connected to a religious sect for decades.

"Koning Boudewijn was verbonden aan religieuze sekte" - HLN.be

The magazine that Baudouin, Fabiola, Abert, Paola, Philippe and Mathilde were/are all members. Laurent was not, and he paid the price for it.

Leaders of the British branch of the sect were cardinal Suenens and sister Veronica O'Brian (both are supposed to have coupled B & F).
The "Charasmatic Movement" swept the world and encompassed both Roman Catholics and Protestants. It was a most divisive movement which tended to the extremes in that only those who where "touched by the spirit" could "speak in tongues" and "prophesy". Sort of a "these people are christians and those people just think they are" type of scenario. Fortunately time tempers all and the pendulum swung (mostly) back to center.

However, watching the interaction of the BRF I find it hard to believe that Albert and Paola were or are practising members. It was and still is asomewhat touchy-feely deal with lots of hugs and kisses all round and, to be honest, A and P have always seemed somewhat distant, cold and remote.

Most ordinary families hug and some kiss one cheek and others do the European double cheek right and left kiss. Albert and Poala shake hands with their children and grandchildren! Go figure.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Next news King Albert and Queen Paola will not attend the National Day on July 21th !
Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The "Charasmatic Movement" swept the world and encompassed both Roman Catholics and Protestants. It was a most divisive movement which tended to the extremes in that only those who where "touched by the spirit" could "speak in tongues" and "prophesy". Sort of a "these people are christians and those people just think they are" type of scenario. Fortunately time tempers all and the pendulum swung (mostly) back to center.
Totally off-topic, but I never understood why it was considered as a sect. When you go to one of those worship events, it's just the same as prayer. Of course it's in communion with the pope, it's just people praying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Most ordinary families hug and some kiss one cheek and others do the European double cheek right and left kiss. Albert and Poala shake hands with their children and grandchildren! Go figure.
In Belgium you only kiss on one cheeck... if you do kiss. And hugs are totally not done, only if you are very close and on special occasions then.
Most of the times (and especially in the North of the country and, - I hate saying that - in the "higer society" ) you don't kiss at all.
I have friends I know since years, people from college who I see every day still I never give a kiss, and it's not an exception. I never hugged my grandparents, I give them one kiss. My cousins shake hands with their grandmother, even tought they are very close to her. Maybe Belgian people are very cold, but as a Belgian I don't find it personally shocking that they are shaking hands with their grandparents.

Queen Mathilde
Old 06-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Next news King Albert and Queen Paola will not attend the National Day on July 21th !
RTL announced that the interview contains an important piece of news. I’m starting to think that Albert probably announces that he will withdraw from public life. Just a guess though. It makes no sense to skip the most important events of the year (like national day) and then continue to do other activities on your own. It is just highlighting the rift in a very bad fashion.
In any case this better is the last incident and they find a modus Vivendi now. It escalated so much that at the end of the day everyone loses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
In Belgium you only kiss on one cheeck... if you do kiss. And hugs are totally not done, only if you are very close and on special occasions then.
Most of the times (and especially in the North of the country and, - I hate saying that - in the "higer society" ) you don't kiss at all.
I have friends I know since years, people from college who I see every day still I never give a kiss, and it's not an exception. I never hugged my grandparents, I give them one kiss. My cousins shake hands with their grandmother, even tought they are very close to her. Maybe Belgian people are very cold, but as a Belgian I don't find it personally shocking that they are shaking hands with their grandparents.
I agree, I dont think its shocking either. The women who were interviewed are Albert and Paola’s most involved supporters. They never have anything nice to say about Philippe and his family. This statement is no surprise and actually the most active one of them already mentioned on twitter and other blogs that she had said lots of other negative things that weren’t aired. I would take these statements with a grain of salt. As for the grandchildren only shaking hands with their granddad - that’s still an improvement. Leopold III had to read magazines to have a look at his grandchildren.

I was also surprised to read in the more serious papers that not even Astrid attended a private celebration. Sounds strange to me.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

On June 13 Princess Claire and Princess Léa together with Natan designer Edouard Vermeulen attended the christening of the rose "Edouard Vermeulen":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** rtl.be gallery (scroll down) **

** vtm.be video: Een roos voor Edouard Vermeulen **

** pr fb gallery: Claire et Léa au baptême de la Rose Edouard Vermeulen **

** nieuwsblad.be: Prinses Claire doopt roos van haar modeontwerper in Kasteel Hex in Heers **
Old 08-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Prince Laurent, Princess Claire and their children visited King Albert and Queen Paola during the summer vacations:

La famille royale en vacances: Albert et Paola profitent d’une dernière soirée avec Claire, Laurent et leurs enfants (photos) - sudinfo.be
Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Prince Laurent, Princess Claire and their children visited King Albert and Queen Paola during the summer vacations:

La famille royale en vacances: Albert et Paola profitent d’une dernière soirée avec Claire, Laurent et leurs enfants (photos) - sudinfo.be
I think it's pretty telling that Laurent wasn't around, isn't it?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

The annual autumn concert at the Royal Palace in Brussels has taken place today, October 15:

** belga gallery ** gettyimages **

** dpp gallery: Belgian royals at Fall Concert 2014 **

** zimbio: Autumn Concert at the Royal Palace in Brussels **
Old 10-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Where was the time when the whole Royal family came at the annual Autumn Concert.
Queen Mathilde is perfect !
Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well, hopefully they'll find a way to show up all together sooner or later, in the next weeks they'll have at least a couple of occasions for doing (the King's Feast on 15 November or the Christmas concert).

Btw, it seems to me that this new "narrowed" Royal Family is working well, and I'm pleased by that. Better a smaller but functioning RF than a larger but dysfunctional one.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Well, hopefully they'll find a way to show up all together sooner or later, in the next weeks they'll have at least a couple of occasions for doing (the King's Feast on 15 November or the Christmas concert).

Btw, it seems to me that this new "narrowed" Royal Family is working well, and I'm pleased by that. Better a smaller but functioning RF than a larger but dysfunctional one.
I agree with you but I still find strange that Astrid has such a low key role lately, I thought the two siblings of the King would have more or less equal roles, maybe she asked not to be drafted so often? I don't know.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Queen Mathilde, Queen Paola and Princess Léa attended the funeral of Count Jean-Pierre de Launoit, close friend of the Royal Family, at the Cathédrale Sainte Gudule yesterday, November 17:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 ** lesoir.be gallery **
Old 11-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The late count was a banker and the former chairman of the annual Queen Elisabeth Music Competition and held positions in various charities. In 2012 he received the grand cross of the Leopold order.

The family was ennobled in the twenties. The count has three sons from his (dissolved) marriage to an Austrian noblewoman. I suppose the sons are the 3 gentleman pictured with the two queens.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Pic 3 Two Queens and Count de Launoit 3 Sons.
It is a big honor for the late Count de Launoit , it is not often that a Queen attends Funerals in Belgium , but two Queens , this will never happen again !
Princess Lea was only a guest as others..
Old 11-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Aristocracy

A very elegant gentleman with a big heart who was dedicated to many good causes. People like him are rare to find. Comte Launoit will be really missed and the impressive guest list of his funeral is a reflection of this.
Even the youngest members of the RF got the chance to know him since he was the one who welcomed them to the Queen Elisabeth competition sessions.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

When I saw Majesté Queen Mathilde (who officially represented Queen Fabiola ) and Queen Paola together for the Count Jean Pierre de Launoit 's funerals, I really miss Queen Paola.
The two Queens did not come together (15 minutes difference) and did not speak together either. What a difference with Spain and the Netherlands.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, the kids, Princess Astrid and Princess Claire attended this year's Christmas concert at the Royal Palace today, December 17:

** belga gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

** zimbio gallery: Belgian Royal Family Attends Christmas Concert **
Old 12-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

King Albert II and Queen Paola did not attend ! Sad !
Old 12-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Nobility

Beautiful family, everyone looks great! :)

Tags
archduke lorenz, king albert ii, king philippe, prince emmanuel, prince gabriel, prince laurent, princess astrid of belgium, princess claire, princess eleonore, princess elisabeth, princess esmeralda, princess lea, queen fabiola, queen mathilde, queen paola