The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Aristocracy

Relationships of the Belgian Royal Women

Have I heard that the most senior Royal Belgium Women do not get along? Seems like I read somewhere that Queen Fabiola doesn't get along with/or like Queen Paola. And Queen Paola doesn't like/or get along with Crown Princess Mathilde. I know we are not supposed to "guess" on these forums. But if it is "common knowledge", or has been published would that be guessing? I think it is sad if these women do not like each other. Can someone help me with this?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've never heard that they do not get along, when you see them all together they look perfectly fine.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Courtier

I've also heard about this, it's difficult to know if there is a bad relationship between the two it's true or not but taking into account the personalities of both I would say that it not totally false.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Why do Fabiola and Paolo not apparently have a good relationship?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Gentry

I'm sorry, but I honestly think it's just speculation...
It's like all the royal houses, we heard that too about the Spanish royal house from the Queen, Letizia, Cristina and Elena, etc...
But publicly, there are reasons for thinking that?
I believe, they must be a family like any other. If something happens between them, I think is natural.
Well, I really hope not, because I really like this royal family... :)
Old 07-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

As Belgian I may confirm that the relationship between their MM Queen Fabiola and Queen Paola is perfect.
I am sad about this new thread which is only speculation and unrespectiful !
Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Exactly maria-olivia, as a Belgian I think it too
Only speculations made by press people who want their magazine to sell
Whatever happens in our Royal family (in every family there are misunderstandings sometimes) we can never know !
Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

I haven't ever read any story or rumor about the women in the Belgian Royal Family not getting along. It's too bad that rumors get started like this.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent

There might have been tensions between Fabiola and Paola years ago when they were young women, mostly due to contrasting personalities and vastly different outlooks on life.

But there seems to be nothing but affect and deep respect now.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the answers. I didn't mean any disrespect. or to try to start any kind of argument. I will contact the moderator and ask that this thread be closed.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

mrsbugman, for what it is worth I don't think your questions are at all disrespectful.

There is a lot more info on the relationships between the Belgian Royal women in the various family threads here...particularly fascinating is the information that deals with the deep antagonism between Princess Marie-Christine and her late mother Liliane, Princess de Rethy...as well as some early tension between Queen Fabiola and her husband's stepmother(again, Princess Liliane)
Old 07-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you moonmaiden23. I have already sent a pm to the moderator. So we will see what will happen.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I am sad about this new thread which is only speculation and unrespectiful !
The subject raised in the opening post of this thread is neither speculative nor disrespectful. The member was asking a question, and a valid one at that. For example, it is no secret that for a period of time the marriage of the then Prince and Princess of Liege was under severe stress.

It is therefore not an unreasonable conclusion to draw that the very conservative, staid and devout Catholic Queen (Fabiola) was none too impressed at the behaviour of her somewhat racy Italian sister-in-law (Paola). They may well have a "perfect" relationship today, but that does not mean it was always so.

TRF is a discussion forum and legitimate topics of discussion are welcomed.
Members' sense of loyalty to their own Reigning Houses is admirable but should not blind them to life's realities.

thanks,

Warren
Administrator
Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Gentry

Videozone

Here's a video of Paola talking about her relationshop with Albert (toward the end) and how they had problems but "we were made for each other".
Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'd insert into the discussion also their three sisters-in-law, the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxembourg, Princess Marie Esmeralda and Lea (Princess Alexandre).
In particular I'm curious to know what are (were, in Josephine-Charlotte's case) the relationships between the three elderly women (JC, Fabiola and Paola) with the youngers (Esmeralda and Lea; I don't care of Marie Christine becasuse it's well known that she has horrible relationships with the whole Royal Family), who given their ages could be their daughters.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The subject raised in the opening post of this thread is neither speculative nor disrespectful. The member was asking a question, and a valid one at that. For example, it is no secret that for a period of time the marriage of the then Prince and Princess of Liege was under severe stress.

It is therefore not an unreasonable conclusion to draw that the very conservative, staid and devout Catholic Queen (Fabiola) was none too impressed at the behaviour of her somewhat racy Italian sister-in-law (Paola). They may well have a "perfect" relationship today, but that does not mean it was always so.

TRF is a discussion forum and legitimate topics of discussion are welcomed.
Members' sense of loyalty to their own Reigning Houses is admirable but should not blind them to life's realities.

thanks,

Warren
Administrator
To top that all off, the then Princess De Liege, easily gave birth to 3 children, whilst Queen Fabiola had one miscarriage after the other...imagine the tension that can cause!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

It's true that Queen Fabiola and Paola didn't have much in common with one another years and years ago when both were young marrieds, but have had a warm relationship for many years now.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

There were always a lot of rumours of the bad relationship between Paola and Fabiola. How much of it was based on facts and how much based on gossip is unclear. But more respectable magazines than the tabloids have written about it over the years.

I suppose rumours about Paola and Fabiola were likely to start since they both entered the Belgian RF more or less at the same time and while both were so very different. The tragic, catholic queen vs. the party princess.

Anyway, according to the Belgian press it was Paola who forced Fabiola out of Laeken palace quickly after Baudouin's death (a variation on Lilian removing all the furniture from Laeken when Fabiola and Baudouin came back from their honeymoon perhaps?). And I believe the HUMO articles on Fabiola refer to the bad relationship between the two as well. They even claimed that princess Mathilde was told by the court to have less contact with Fabiola and spend more time with her mother-in-law. Of course, these are all rumours and it is very difficult to verify, but the question about their relationship is legitimate indeed and it has been discussed at various times in the press for decades.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Anyway, according to the Belgian press it was Paola who forced Fabiola out of Laeken palace quickly after Baudouin's death
Didn't Fabiola stay in Laeken Palace for 6 years after Baudouin's death (until Philippe and Mathilde's wedding)?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I thought she moved to Stuyvenbergh Castle after Baudouins death? And then reduced her appearances so as not to overshadow Paola?

Tags
princess astrid, princess claire, queen fabiola, queen mathilde, queen paola