The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post

I wonder who is the Lady with its purple dress sittting next to the King ?
That's Vaira Vike-Freiberga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaira_V%C4%AB%C4%B7e-Freiberga

What a difference compared with Queen Fabiola's 80th birthday celebration. All she got was a humble chocolate cake and a joint coffee break celebration with K Albert and P Astrid who also celeberate their respective birthdays in June.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
That's Vaira Vike-Freiberga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaira_V%C4%AB%C4%B7e-Freiberga

What a difference compared with Queen Fabiola's 80th birthday celebration. All she got was a humble chocolate cake and a joint coffee break celebration with K Albert and P Astrid who also celeberate their respective birthdays in June.
Maybe Fabiola asked for something low-key? Like in her funeral, where she asked to be put on the ground and not higher above?

And somehow, Fabiola's celebration was far warmer, more like a family gathering rather than this "public" celebration Paola got.

Just my two cents of course.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Maybe Fabiola asked for something low-key? Like in her funeral, where she asked to be put on the ground and not higher above?

And somehow, Fabiola's celebration was far warmer, more like a family gathering rather than this "public" celebration Paola got.

Just my two cents of course.
We are always agreed, dear leidi.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The cake is a masterpiece indeed. Thanks for pointing out the green scarabees on it, maria-olivia. Where was the birthday celebration held? The Belga-caption mentions Waterloo.

I am glad Laurent did turn up eventually. The relationship of the king with his parents and siblings has been strained for a few years now. Their children do not seem close to their grandparents and cousins, while most of them are living on the same estate.

I did not see the Luxembourg family. Princesses Marie-Astrid and Margaretha are often guests at such events.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Where was the birthday celebration held? The Belga-caption mentions Waterloo.

The celebration took place at the Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel in Waterloo

Here's another great large gallery with more than 200 photos:

** robinutrecht.photoshelter gallery **

And an additional article:

** dailymail: A family affair! Belgium's royals come together to celebrate Queen Paola's birthday..**
Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Thank you iceflower.

In the photos we can also see the Archduchess Anna-Gabriella of Austria, widow of Archduke Rudolph.

I believe that the outfit that Queen Paola is wearing used to be an evening gown. She wore the dress during the engagement ball for her eldest son.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Did you notice cdm the green scarabées on the cake , the same as the Ceiling of Brussel's Royal Palace?
You are right , on the family picture there was room for Astrid and Lorenz next to Queen Mathilde but they went behind !
Did you notice also how difficult King Albert II is walking ?

I was actually very surprised to see the reigning king and his queen consort in the back row rather than in front. That would never have happened in the UK given the British obsessive attention to precedence and protocol. Philippe and Mathilde are, however, a very humble royal couple, as I had also noticed in their recent state visit to Denmark when they deferred to Queen Margrethe II and walked behind her when entering the state dinner hall.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
That's what I have always noticed. Philippe's children looks like strangers among their own family, which is kind of sad. Also, in the past I've seen Mathilde being extremely friendly with Claire (she was even chose to be Eleonore's godmother) and not a word between them.
I know it was a short appearance, but I can't help but thinking that the whole family is against Philippe and especially Mathilde (notice how no one went next to her to take the picture).
They tried so hard, but it was a really bad attempt of looking like a normal family and to be a party, it was really cold.
I can't keep track of whom in this family does and does not get along. I thought no one got along with Laurent. Has that now shifted to Philippe? What does all the discord stem from?
Old 06-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well all in all a very normal family where some people get along and others don't , and where the strains between the generations only get bigger over time - with an occasional effort here and there. Bummer though that the whole world can watch this forced spectacle and that these are the people you have to employ in your firm

This celebration was organized by some of Paola's official patronages. If that hadn't happened I doubt any family gathering of this size would have taken place.

From the videos it's clear that Philippe's children have little if any contact with their paternal cousins. There's no interaction between them at all. I do like how Elisabeth and her siblings are pretty cool about it, and don't really seem to care (their beds are made anyway) whilst Astrid's tribe and Laurent's kids can't stop chatting and hugging to show how 'united' they are all of a sudden.

My guess is the biggest break was caused by this decision taken by court, to reduce the size of the core royal house and thus handing out less titles (and privileges):Queen Mathilde: Change in title
For title obsessed Lorenz & Astrid this must have been a blow, even though they have more than enough titles and money left. For Laurent & Claire this must ring financial alarm bells. How far can their influences stretch if this means in future they will no longer receive an allowance? Claire surely can't go back to being a part time surveyor. She tried so hard to be the perfect noble housewife since 2003! And Laurent is unmanageable.

I think Philippe & Mathilde tried their best to make it work with this lot but between a mother who was seen on crutches at a rock concert with her favorite child, but can't bother to show up at the National Day Parade, Laurent who was given a fair chance but blew it and Astrid who can't get a grip on her private emotions in public... I guess they made the right choice.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't follow the BRF that much, but I love seeing all the family together. This might sound odd, but I don't remember Paola getting so old. Her hair is white now, I just remember her brown hair so vividly!
Old 06-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen this Outfit at Prince Albert II of Monaco 's Wedding
Old 06-30-2017, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post

From the videos it's clear that Philippe's children have little if any contact with their paternal cousins. There's no interaction between them at all. I do like how Elisabeth and her siblings are pretty cool about it, and don't really seem to care (their beds are made anyway) whilst Astrid's tribe and Laurent's kids can't stop chatting and hugging to show how 'united' they are all of a sudden.

My guess is the biggest break was caused by this decision taken by court, to reduce the size of the core royal house and thus handing out less titles (and privileges):Queen Mathilde: Change in title
For title obsessed Lorenz & Astrid this must have been a blow, even though they have more than enough titles and money left. noble housewife since 2003! And Laurent is unmanageable.
King Philippe's 2015 royal decree says that all children and grandchildren of the king (not just the crown prince's children !) will be given the title of prince/princess of Belgium. So, Gabriel's, Emmanuel's and Eleonore's children will also be HRHs. Second, all children and grandchildren of King Albert II, including Astrid's and Laurent's children, retain their titles and HRH styles under the transitional provisions of the decree. Only Astrid's and Laurent's grandchildren will be affected in terms of not becoming princes/princesses of Belgium, which is pretty fair IMHO. I doubt that is the source of Laurent's and Astrid's resentment towards their brother then.

Broadly speaking, I have a suspicion that Astrid, deep inside, may resent Philippe having married Mathilde at the late age of 39. Had Philippe stayed single, Astrid would be the heiress to the throne and, more importantly, Amedeo would be second in line. I have a strong impression that Lorenz and Astrid had an expectation that Amedeo would become king, which was actually realistic until Philippe got married and Elisabeth was born (when Amedeo was already 15, I guess). But that is just silly speculation on my part.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

This is out ot topic.
Prince Amadeo receive an Education to be a working Prince and he works out of Belgium.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This is out ot topic.
Prince Amadeo receive an Education to be a working Prince and he works out of Belgium.
I agree it is off-topic and I warned it was just a speculative theory on my part. Of course, it is OK now (and actually expected) that Amedeo has a private career and even lives overseas. As the 6th in line behind four younger cousins who most likely will have future children of their own, the chances of his line succeeding to the throne are practically null.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Courtier

Concerning the get-along-fact we have to keep in mind that
Astrid married very young in contrast to her brothers and therefore the age difference between the grandchildren is immense.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I wonder if there will be a grand gala dinner in September to mark the queens 80th Birthday?
Old 06-30-2017, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

No Celebration in September .
Last family Gala dinner in Belgium was for the pre-wedding of Prince Philippe.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
Concerning the get-along-fact we have to keep in mind that
Astrid married very young in contrast to her brothers and therefore the age difference between the grandchildren is immense.
Elisabeth is only a few years older than P.Astrid's youngest daughter Laetitia Maria and P.Laurent's eldest daughter Louise. Gabriel and Emmanuel are really close in age with Laurent's twins. So when this kind of things happen, you can really tell those kids barely know each other and their families don't see each other frequently (if at all).

This family has always had problems but (apart from the royal couple) its members forget that they are public figure and they should keep their problems for themselves. I know it's an old fashioned way of thinking, but this situation could really damage the already feeble image of the monarchy.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I really like this photo of Elisabeth and Paola, it's quite a sweet photo and Elisabeth looks so different - and older!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-01-2017, 12:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
Well all in all a very normal family where some people get along and others don't , and where the strains between the generations only get bigger over time - with an occasional effort here and there. Bummer though that the whole world can watch this forced spectacle and that these are the people you have to employ in your firm

This celebration was organized by some of Paola's official patronages. If that hadn't happened I doubt any family gathering of this size would have taken place.

For title obsessed Lorenz & Astrid this must have been a blow, even though they have more than enough titles and money left. For Laurent & Claire this must ring financial alarm bells. How far can their influences stretch if this means in future they will no longer receive an allowance? Claire surely can't go back to being a part time surveyor. She tried so hard to be the perfect noble housewife since 2003! And Laurent is unmanageable.

I think Philippe & Mathilde tried their best to make it work with this lot but between a mother who was seen on crutches at a rock concert with her favorite child, but can't bother to show up at the National Day Parade, Laurent who was given a fair chance but blew it and Astrid who can't get a grip on her private emotions in public... I guess they made the right choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

Broadly speaking, I have a suspicion that Astrid, deep inside, may resent Philippe having married Mathilde at the late age of 39. Had Philippe stayed single, Astrid would be the heiress to the throne and, more importantly, Amedeo would be second in line. I have a strong impression that Lorenz and Astrid had an expectation that Amedeo would become king, which was actually realistic until Philippe got married and Elisabeth was born (when Amedeo was already 15, I guess). But that is just silly speculation on my part.
Agree on both accounts

I also believe that they expected Philippe to marry some weak-willed woman (if he ever married at all) that they could control at will and well, Mathilde takes no s**t from anyone and she supports and defends her husband's decisions, which usually go against the interests of the rest of the house.

I think one of the reasons why Mathilde got along so well with Fabiola was that she was willing to listen and learn how to be a queen from her and QF knew Philippe was in good hands, specially knowing how selfish and greedy the rest of the family are.