Queen Paola´s 70th birthday; September 11, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Though there won´t be any celebrations of the kind we saw in Norway for Queen Sonja, it might be nice to mark the birthday of one of the most underrated Queens with a thread of its own.
So post here your information, pictures and questions about Queen Paola´s 70th birthday.

Queen Paola will turn 70 on 11 September and 800 Belgians will be invited to join the celebrations at the royal residence in the suburb of Laken.
On September 13, the guests will be welcomed for a walk in the park and a theatrical production, followed by a reception in the royal glasshouses.
The 800 guests will be people who are professionally involved in the protection of children in difficult situations, a cause to which the Queen has dedicated herself passionately for many years aleady.

Note that I found different dates in articles about this event. One said it will be on september 2 and another on september 13. Does anybody know the real date?

Note that I found different dates in articles about this event. One said it will be on september 2 and another on september 13. Does anybody know the real date?

It´s September 2 (Sunday) according to the BRF homepage (monarchie.be) – an early start into the birthday celebrations. The reception will be attended by Queen Paola, King Albert, Queen Fabiola and by Philippe, Mathilde, Laurent and Claire.

The Belgian Post will also release a new stamp to mark Paola´s birthday and I hope there will be a photo session with Paola surrounded by her 11 grandchildren (they did the same for Albert´s 70th birthday back in 2004) .

Thanks for clearing that up Johann. I guess you were right about ´Het Laatste Nieuws´, not too accurate (as their website said it was on the 13th).

Personally I would like a documentairy marking her 70th birthday but the plubic channels didn´t announce anything. My best hopes is that they will re-run the charming tv-potrait/interview that they made last year.

A nice ball with tiara´s would have been nice too but that is more a scandinavian thing, sadly.

So there won't be any celebrations involved European Royals?At least i mean the Luxembourg who are closer to them.

She was born September 11? Rather sad date for us Americans.....:ermm:

But if the party is on the 2nd, isn't the Dutch party then, or has it already ended? And which would Phillipe and Mathilde go to, they're good friends with W-A and Maxima, aren't they?

I don´t think they have invited foreign royals to any public event. Apart from during funerals and weddings the Belgians, like the Spanish and Grimaldis, Liechtensteins don´t seem to host big royal festivities.

But maybe the Luxembourgs will attend a private birthday celebration for HM, though we will probably not know about that.

But if the party is on the 2nd, isn't the Dutch party then, or has it already ended? And which would Phillipe and Mathilde go to, they're good friends with W-A and Maxima, aren't they?

The party ends at September 2nd. I don´t know the programme but during the last festivities they closed with a lunch, which they will probably do this time as well. That would give the Belgians suficient time to go back to Brussels if the gathering is in the evening. Otherwise they will probably skip the last part of the birthday celebrations of the Prince of Orange.

Personally I would like a documentairy marking her 70th birthday but the plubic channels didn´t announce anything. My best hopes is that they will re-run the charming tv-potrait/interview that they made last year.

Seems VTM is eager to satisfy your wish, Marengo!
The Flemish broadcaster will air a TV documentary on Queen Paola (VTM Royalty: "Koningin Paola 70", 09/09, 17:55). Most likely the programme will be online afterwards.

The documentary highlights her life as queen, how she managed the complete turnaround in her life after Baudouin´s death and her deep consternation during the Dutroux scandal. There will be interviews with confidents: e.g. on Paola´s youth with the Marchionesses Antonella, Giovanna and Emanuela San Martino di San Germano (close relatives), or with a paparazzi who follows Paola since the late 1950ties.

It´s September 2 (Sunday) according to the BRF homepage (monarchie.be) – an early start into the birthday celebrations. The reception will be attended by Queen Paola, King Albert, Queen Fabiola and by Philippe, Mathilde, Laurent and Claire.

The Belgian Post will also release a new stamp to mark Paola´s birthday and I hope there will be a photo session with Paola surrounded by her 11 grandchildren (they did the same for Albert´s 70th birthday back in 2004) .
Does anybody know why Princess Astrid doesn't attend????

I also hope for a fotoshoot with the whole family, and it seemed to me that there could be made nice pictures of the Queen and the whole family on September 2 in the Serres.

According the BRF homepage there are 800 persons invited for the reception.
:unsure:It seems to me that they can't all go shake hands with Queen Paola (au, I have some experience):unsure: I have learnd that Queen Paola doesn't only want to meet the Bobo's but is expecialy interested in the people who carry out the work (They are both needed I think). So how do they select who meets wich Royal Person. Or do the most guest will be there to meet the other guests? (most likely I think).

The real date is 02/09/2007, sunday.
I am also curious why Astrid will not attend, I hoped the whole royal family would be there.
I hope there will be a photo shoot with the whole family . We have net seen everybody together since christmas.

The real date is 02/09/2007, sunday.
I am also curious why Astrid will not attend, I hoped the whole royal family would be there.
I hope there will be a photo shoot with the whole family . We have net seen everybody together since christmas.

Well, I am hoping for a nice photoshoot on the Queens actual birthday and for September 2nd... perhaps Astrid and Lorenz will be representing Belgium in Apeldoorn?

According the BRF homepage there are 800 persons invited for the reception.
:unsure:It seems to me that they can't all go shake hands with Queen Paola (au, I have some experience):unsure: I have learned that Queen Paola doesn't only want to meet the Bobo's but is expecialy interested in the people who carry out the work (They are both needed I think). So how do they select who meets wich Royal Person. Or do the most guest will be there to meet the other guests? (most likely I think).

I am guessing here but I assume they will try to keep this as informal as possible. The press release specifically mentioned that volunteers were invited too, as were professionals. I assume will just walk around and talk to anybody she wants to talk to. The court probably made sure that there would be a good mix of ´bobo´s ´ and people who do the actual job, so that would make sure the RF gets to talk to a good mix.

I tought the birthay party in Holland is the 1st of september so i assumed Filip and Mathilde would go to the 2. The 2 couples are good friends so I think Mathilde and Filip will go to Holland the 1st and attend the queens party the 2nd.

Seems VTM is eager to satisfy your wish, Marengo!
The Flemish broadcaster will air a TV documentary on Queen Paola (VTM Royalty: "Koningin Paola 70", 09/09, 17:55). Most likely the programme will be online afterwards.

The documentary highlights her life as queen, how she managed the complete turnaround in her life after Baudouin´s death and her deep consternation during the Dutroux scandal. There will be interviews with confidents: e.g. on Paola´s youth with the Marchionesses Antonella, Giovanna and Emanuela San Martino di San Germano (close relatives), or with a paparazzi who follows Paola since the late 1950ties.

:belgiumflag: I am happy they do give this birthday the attention it deserves. If only they will put it on the internet so i can see it too! We don´t get VTM in The Netherlands. I am esp. looking forward to the older clips, but seeing Marchesa Antonella San Martino di San Germano (what a name!)....:italyflag:

I assume the three Marchesa´s are daughters of Paola´s oldest sister Maria-Christina?

This is great news! I'm glad that Paola will have a celebration with perhaps a photoshoot (wishful thinking...)LOL. It will be great to see the Belgian royal family. Especially Amadeo. :wub:

Thank you for the pictures. She was and is a beautiful woman. Always elegant and composed.

The 800 guests are people who are professional of volutary involved with childern in difficulties. Organisation occupy with the disappearance or the sexual abuse of childern and organisations who help childern with needs. " As honorary chairwoman of Child Focus it is the will of the queen to chose these people as target group", so a speaksperson of the royal palace.

On the day of her birthay, 11 september, there is no official event planned. The queen will cut her cake in private.
There is no intervieuw planned.

On the day of her birthay, 11 september, there is no official event planned. The queen will cut her cake in private.
There is no intervieuw planned.

Wel ,as it is Queen Paola's birthday, it is her business how she likes to celebrate it.
I wish her a nice day with a good cake, many flowers:flowers::flowers:, the presents she hopes for, much fun, and that her grandchildren have made many drawings for her her for instance.

But! All what is done around it, all attention that is given on it by the media etc., that is a plus and fun for me!:):)

I don't think the Belgian RF ever does interviews, with the exeption of one Queen Fabiola gave to a radiostation in the 80-ties. The same goes for Spain and even GB (apart from Charles and Diana).

Paola gave an intervieuw when she became 65! Mathilde recenly did an intervieuw about breastcancer on the Belgian television. It happens that they do intervieuw but it is more uncommen!

Really? I always thought the policy of the Belgian court was not to grant any interviews at all. But now you mention it, I remember the breast cancer interview indeed. The interview with Queen Paola should have been interesting, perhaps they will show some clips from that in the Paola documentairy of VTM, as I haven't seen it.

I think the documentary 'the voice of the queen', made by Jan Becaus on 'één' is mentioned here. The queen talks to friends instead of giving a real interview. It was made very professional and nice to watch.

I can't remember Paola gave an interview for her 65 anniversary...

BTW: Philippe gives interviews all the time when he is on economic mission. Of course you never get to know something from his personal feelings or thoughts... (exept the interview with Van Raak in China about Vlaams Belang, which the prince won't do again)

It's sad the whole royal family thinks an interview is torture, they realy don't like it. A pitty, they could be more accepted if they did. It would shut the rumours down...

I suppose the Luxembourg RF will attend for this celebration since they are very close?

I think that is a fairly reasonable assumption, given that they are married into each other. And they seem to be very friendly and close to each other!

If they would attend the celebration on September 2nd I would assume either the Belgian or the Luxembourg website would mention that (though I am not sure if the Grand Ducal family has the agenda on a website). But it is likely that Paola will give a private party for family and friends which will be attended by some Luxembourg relatives too. Personally I would like to see GD Jean again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom