Queen Fabiola and the late King Baudouin: News and Pictures Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering, is there any controversy about the amount of money that Fabiola receives in the Belgian press? Point de Vue run an article about it, even placing Fabiola on the cover (apart from Carla Bruni of course).

I have read the article. Apparently there IS quite a bit of controversy with one Flemish politician even insinuationing that Her Majesty must be funneling the $$ to her Spanish properties, since she herself lives so frugally.

There was also a mention of her "patrimony" in Royal jewelry. She has QUITE a stash! Spectacular rubies, emeralds and pearls and diamonds. She doesn't lend them because the lion's share are personal gifts from her precious late husband.

I wonder if she will agree to take a cut in her Dotation Royale?

Queen Fabiola attended the final of the Queen Elisabeth Concours this night at the Paace of the FIne Arts in Brussels. At the moment the concert is over and the finalists all will meet the Queen.
The Queen was applauded while she left her lodge btw.

A very critical audience btw, some even boo-ed a contestant who became no 5 (which they thought he did not deserve).

Last edited:
Belgium's Queen Fabiola (Front, R) and Count Jean-Pierre de Launoit (Front, L), chairman of the executive committee of the Queen Elisabeth competition (Front, L), pose for a family portrait with the finalists after the final of the Queen Elisabeth Music Competition Singing 2008, Saturday 24 May 2008 in Brussels. Hungary's tenore Szabolcs Brickner (2ndR) won the competition. BELGA PHOTO ERIC VIDAL
ImageShack - Hosting :: 9238927ks4.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 9238929gm3.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 9238933ls6.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 9239150et3.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 9239150hg1.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 9239165aq5.jpg

Pics 27.5.2008

Belgium's Queen Fabiola pictured during the distribution of the prizes
of the Queen Elisabeth Music Competition Singing 2008, Tuesday 27
May 2008 in Argenteuil. Hungary's tenore Szabolcs Brickner won the
competition last Saturday.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

The queen looks wonderful. The older she gets the more elegant she appears. Thanks for the pictures.

NEw book about queen Fabiola

Queen-widow Fabiola is said to be boring and overly religious. The latter is true: even the pope admires her deep faith. But boring? The past years Fabiola has been more lively than ever, even a bit frivolous. In her youth she was known for her cheerfulness and lust for life. All her life she's been combining her fierce Spanish temper with a big concern for others, at times she was a feminist avant la lettre.

Fifteen years after the death of king Boudewijn she keeps on entertaining people. Her strength is the one thing she's sure of: the farewell to her beloved husband is only a temporary one.

In "Fabiola, een meisje van tachtig" many interviews with ex assistants, top politicians and other "witnesses", reveal new anecdotes and insights. The book doesn't try to hide any aspects, but mostly shows us a different Fabiola. Her personality and her life show an intriguing mixture of happiness, tragedy, seriousness and humour.

The authors:

Brigitte Balfoort, a journalist who works for VTM's "Royalty". She's also the co-author of books on king Albert II, European royal houses and crownprince Philippe.

Joris De Voogt is a journalist and teacher.

An edition of Van Halewyck, ISBN ISBN: 9789056178734
.:: Van Halewyck [ home ] ::.

Soon in less than 10 days, Her Majesty is going to turn 80!A great milestone!I hope there will be a great celebration for her in Belgium or at least some new official photos released.

NEw book about queen Fabiola

Queen-widow Fabiola is said to be boring and overly religious. The latter is true: even the pope admires her deep faith. But boring? The past years Fabiola has been more lively than ever, even a bit frivolous. In her youth she was known for her cheerfulness and lust for life. All her life she's been combining her fierce Spanish temper with a big concern for others, at times she was a feminist avant la lettre.

Fifteen years after the death of king Boudewijn she keeps on entertaining people. Her strength is the one thing she's sure of: the farewell to her beloved husband is only a temporary one.

In "Fabiola, een meisje van tachtig" many interviews with ex assistants, top politicians and other "witnesses", reveal new anecdotes and insights. The book doesn't try to hide any aspects, but mostly shows us a different Fabiola. Her personality and her life show an intriguing mixture of happiness, tragedy, seriousness and humour.

The authors:

Brigitte Balfoort, a journalist who works for VTM's "Royalty". She's also the co-author of books on king Albert II, European royal houses and crownprince Philippe.

Joris De Voogt is a journalist and teacher.

An edition of Van Halewyck, ISBN ISBN: 9789056178734
.:: Van Halewyck [ home ] ::.

Stephanie, do you know if this book is written in French as well as Dutch? I cannot read Dutch but I can read French and would love to see it.

I suspect that the people who called HM "boring" probably don't know her well. In Guy Michelland's book "Fabiola La Reine Blanche" she is described as a witty, almost madcap personality. When guests came to Laeken she would be yacking it up so much that Baudouin would interject "Darling! Let's let our friends breathe for a minute!" (This is from Paul Belien's book " A Throne for Brussels" .) A financier once came to Laeken for an appointment with the King and was startled to see Baudouin and Fabiola chasing one another through the Palace like children. I can't picture the dignified King and Queen acting like that but there you go.

Also her nephew Prince Serge of Yugoslavia said she had a crazy madcap sense of humor and was interested in everything.She would pack up picnic lunches for all of them and send them into the woods surrounding Ciergnan Castle in the Ardennes. He did also say that she was extremely devout and almost worshipped Baudouin but so what? He was her husband. She is also profoundly intelligent and can speak seven languages fluently, including Flemish which she learned during the early years of her marriage.

About a year or so ago somebody posted youtube video of Fabiola dancing to some rock music with some youngsters...and old lady of 79! That doesn't sound like a boring person to me LOL!

Last edited:
Pics 3.7.2008

Queen Fabiola attends the Ommegang Oppidi Bruxellensis, a
historical parade, on the Grand Place/Grote Markt, in Brussels,
03 July 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

I suppose she was expecting rain... ;) Still there are other ways to protect you from it than covering yourself all in plastic. Good to see that she has been so active recently, and considering her interest in history it is very appropriate that she attended this event, she can appreciate it no doubt (I remember a young Paola almost falling asleep when she had to watch traditional games at the Grote Markt).

Last edited:
Well, it shows what a practical person she is :) :)
Here are some more pics where you can also see more of the
lovely traditional costumes young Paola once found so boring ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Nice pictures! It is really nice to see the queen solately actively!
She has a specific taste of clothes, it is really funny with the plastic jacket!

Only Queen Fabiola could cover herself in plastic and still look so elegant and queenly...how funny!

The Belgian Mail has released 3 special stamps on the occassion of Queen Fabiola's 80th birthday on June 11 2008.

Look for the stamps here.

What a great, great couple. I am still hoping that someday there will be a book written about them in English.

VRT will air the documentary "De dood van Boudewijn" again on the 21st of July on Canvas.

The Spanish city Motril dedicates a music festival to King Boudewijn, Motril is the city where king Boudewijn fifteen years ago unexpectedly died. Queen Fabiola will be present from the 28th of august until 11 September. The festival takes place in the large church of Motril and is an homage to king Boudewijn.
The festival concludes with the implementation of ' Kroningsmis' of Mozart on 7 September, the birth day of king Boudewijn. Also the Spanish queen Sofia is expected on the festival. (belga/gb)

I think Queen Fabiola is an example of life for all the royal houses.I admire her for being a good person and very religious.She and her husband formed a perfect couple sharing the same opinions about a way of living.Nowadays there are few people like them .I think they are marvellous.

Queen Fabiola, who earlier this year celebrated her 80th birthday, arrived in the southern Spanish town on Thursday. Fabolia told the gathering that in the sixties, King Baudouin was looking for a place that "combines mountains and the sea" and when he saw Motril "knew that it was what I was looking for" and "thought it was a wonderful place."Fabiola and Baudouin bought the estate Villa Astrida (named after Baudouin’s mother, Queen Astrid). They have spent many a happy holiday there, Fabiola recounted. It was in Motril where the Belgian king passed away on July 31, 1993, at 63 years old.

Queen Fabiola signed the golden book of the city, using her own pen - and like all women, taking a while to find it in her bag - and joked with council members. The mayor handed her a medal of the patron saint of Motril, the Virgen de la Cabeza.

An article in English from royalblog.nl:

Queen Fabiola says 'thank you' to Motril

Queen Fabiola of Belgium personally thanked the Spanish town of Motril for the attention it is giving and the events it is organizing for the 15th anniversary of the death of King Baudouin. The city council on Friday hosted a reception for the queen-widow, who in the coming days will attend the concerts of the International Festival of Sacred Music King Baudouin, to be held from 2 to 7 September.

Read the entire article here.

I suppose she was expecting rain... ;) Still there are other ways to protect you from it than covering yourself all in plastic. Good to see that she has been so active recently, and considering her interest in history it is very appropriate that she attended this event, she can appreciate it no doubt (I remember a young Paola almost falling asleep when she had to watch traditional games at the Grote Markt).

Please, don't be so critical of the plastic poncho which Fabiola wore!
She had on a very nice overcoat with scarf and necklace - the plastic protected her - and it was see-through.
She looks very frail, so the biggest concern is that she not catch a chill and become ill.
Fabiola looks wonderful and seems to get out and about and enjoy life.

Queen Fabiola, who earlier this year celebrated her 80th birthday, arrived in the southern Spanish town on Thursday. Fabolia told the gathering that in the sixties, King Baudouin was looking for a place that "combines mountains and the sea" and when he saw Motril "knew that it was what I was looking for" and "thought it was a wonderful place."Fabiola and Baudouin bought the estate Villa Astrida (named after Baudouin’s mother, Queen Astrid). They have spent many a happy holiday there, Fabiola recounted. It was in Motril where the Belgian king passed away on July 31, 1993, at 63 years old.

Queen Fabiola signed the golden book of the city, using her own pen - and like all women, taking a while to find it in her bag - and joked with council members. The mayor handed her a medal of the patron saint of Motril, the Virgen de la Cabeza.

Thanks Stephanie. Motril is also where the Queen recuperated from several of her miscarriages, and it is where she personally nursed Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein after the Princess's first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage.

It sounds like a lovely, peaceful place.

Pics 7.+8.9.2008

Cardinal Antonio Canizares, archbishop of Toledo, greets Queen Fabiola prior
to a religious service honouring the late King Baudoin held at the Encarnacion
church in Motril, Granada, Andalusia, southern Spain, 07 September 2008.
Over 100 people attended the mass. King Baudoin died at 63 on 31 July 1993
while holidaying with his wife at their summer residence in Motril, 'Villa Astrida'.

---> Pic

Queen Fabiola at the 1st Annual King Baudouin International Amateur Golf Tournament
held in Motril, Granada, Andalusia, southern Spain, 07 September 2008. Over 100 golf
international players took part in the tournament.

---> Pic

Queen Fabiola of the Belgians arriving at the religious service celebrated by the Archbishop
of Toledo, Antonio Canizares, at the Royal Monastery of Santa Maria de Guadalupe, Caceres,
Extremadura, eastern Spain, on 08 September 2008 to celebrate the festivity of the Virgin
of Guadalupe, patron of Extremadura

---> Pic

On December 7th Queen Fabiola attended a ceremony celebrating the new mantle of the Our-Sweet-Lady statue of the O-S-L-Cathedral in Antwerp. The mantle has been designed by Gerald Watelet, so the mantle is 'haute couture' .

Article in Dutch: Zoeken - Gazet van Antwerpen - online krant

On 30 Dec. Queen Fabiola attended the collective prayer at the Brussels Expo of the International Youth days meeting of the Taize ecumenical Christian monastic order.

From 29 December 2008 till 02 January 2009, tens of thousands of youngsters from all over the world gather in Brussels to participate in the Internatinal Youth days meeting of the Taize ecumenical Christian monastic order.

Pics from Belga.

1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 * 6

I particularly like nr 5, where she's waving around her walking stick. She looks very well.

On 30 Dec. Queen Fabiola attended the collective prayer at the Brussels Expo of the International Youth days meeting of the Taize ecumenical Christian monastic order.

From 29 December 2008 till 02 January 2009, tens of thousands of youngsters from all over the world gather in Brussels to participate in the Internatinal Youth days meeting of the Taize ecumenical Christian monastic order.

I was there in this prayer and it was really nice that the people where so enthousiatic about queen Fabiola. She got a huge applaus when she got up and when she heart the applaus, she started to wave with her walkingstick (it was a wonderful experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom