Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip: Visit to Belgium - July 12, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
As posted by Torkel on the Benelux Royals MB

According to the website of the Belgian monarchy, Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh will visit Belgium 12 July to commemorate WWI. They will visit Ypres and the cemetary of Tyne Cot at Passendale.
They will also visit the Pharmaceutical GlaxoSmithKline at Wavre.

I am surprised that they will visit Belgium in a semi-official vieit when they have not paid a state visit to King Albert, though it is a nice guesture to the few living veterans of WWI.

12/07/2007
Le Roi, La Reine
Cérémonies de commémoration A l'invitation du Roi et de la Reine, Sa Majesté la Reine Elizabeth II et Son Altesse Royale le Duc d'Edinbourgh sont présents en Belgique.
A Ypres et au Cimetière de Tyne Cot à Passendale, ils participent aux cérémonies de commémoration de la Première Guerre Mondiale.
A Wavre, ils visitent l'entreprise GlaxoSmithKline.

Well this is a suprise. Hopefully we'll see some nice pictures of the Queen with Albert and Paola.

I believe this will be the 4th time they meet officially since King Albert became King. The previous occassions would have been the jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II and the 50th and 60th remembrances of D-Day (though I am not sure about the 50th one btw).

As the event is approaching, I wondered if a time sheduele is already revealed, for those who want to see the Queens, King and Duke?

As the event is approaching, I wondered if a time sheduele is already revealed, for those who want to see the Queens, King and Duke?

No scheudule is up on the British website yet, but the visit is mentioned on HM's calender - and also another event for EIIR on the same day

This is a surprise. Don't see much of the Queen out in State visits with other royals.

No scheudule is up on the British website yet, but the visit is mentioned on HM's calender - and also another event for EIIR on the same day

It looks as though this other event is where Prince Charles is deputising for the Queen at an investiture.

The couple will have lunch with the Belgian King and Queen at the royal palace. After that they will be accompanied by Queen Paola. King Albert II stays at home due to his recent operation.

I hope we see a nice picture with Queen Elizabeth and Princess Elizabeth :) Or maybe one with the Queen and Prince Philip with Philippe and Elisabeth. Namesakes!

That would be pretty cool if we saw the namesakes with each other, although I doubt Queen Elizabeth and the Princess will be photographed together, for some reason.;) I didn't think that the Queen made official state visits to other reigning countries these days.

Queen Elizabeth II leaves Waterloo station, London, on the Eurostar train on an official engagement to Brussels, Belgium. ----> Picture

Is there a reason why King Albert II has not been made KG (an Extra Knight Companion of the Order of the Garter)? Most European Sovereigns have been honoured in this manner.

Is there a reason why King Albert II has not been made KG (an Extra Knight Companion of the Order of the Garter)? Most European Sovereigns have been honoured in this manner.

Usually Her Brittanic Majesty bestows the Order of the Garter in the course of a State Visit. During the Reign of King Albert II, there has not been any State Visit from or to the United Kingdom.

But The Garter was not always bestowed during a State Visit. In 1989 it had pleased Her Brittanic Majesty to bestow the Garter to Queen Beatrix. There was no State Visit (or even an official visit) between the two countries in that year.

Queen Elizabeth II leaves Waterloo station, London, on the Eurostar train on an official engagement to Brussels, Belgium. ----> Picture

Thank you Avalon for this picture. Her Majesty looks wonderful as usual. I am looking forward to see how this trip unfolds.

You are welcome LOSSEAN.
One thing I can say about the visit - we are going to see more bright colours from Her Majesty. ;)

BRUSSELS, BELGIUM: Princess Mathilde (2nd L) and Prince Philippe (R) of Belgium welcome British Queen Elizabeth II (2nd R) and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (L), at the Meridien hotel in Brussels, Thursday 12 July 2007. Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are on a onde day visit to Belgium.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2939/p7056851ku0.jpg
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1033/p7056849eq5.jpg
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3936/p7056857tl5.jpg
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/725/p7056870bx7.jpg
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9840/p7056871wc5.jpg

:flowers:

(Belga)

Last edited:
Remarkable that HM changed clothes inside the eurolines train .:) Both outfits look lovely on her but I especially like the fresh colours of the first one.

Brussel Princess Mathilde and Prince Filip (Philippe) welcome Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh at the Meridien hotel in Brussels. The British royal couple are on a one-day official visit to Belgium during which they attend commemorations to mark the 90th anniversary of WW I
PPE Agency

Queen Elisabeth and prince Philippe are at the Palace with King Albert and Queen Paola I have seen it on the television on the news. Are there any pictures?

Paola looks great and finally a wearing a hat again. Good to see the king, he usually makes me smile... Like her Dutch visit, Queen Elizabeth II seems to be in a very good mood, and showing it with a lovely smile!

That thing on Princess Mathildes head its beautiful. She looks great and King Albert to.

Mathilde lovely as usual.... I love PHilippe nice gesture on one pic

I really like Paola's clothes, but to be honest: The hat is ugly (sorry because of this word, but I really, really don't like it)

Thank you everyone for the pictures! :flowers:
All Ladies look wonderful, even though I'm not a fan of either Mathilde's or Paola's headpieces. :)

Some more pictures - Belgian Royals welcome Queen Elizabeth & The Duke of Edinburgh
Queen Elizabeth and King Albert
Queen Elizabeth, King Albert and Queen Paola
Queen Paola, Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth, King Albert
Prince Philippe, Queen Paola, Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth, King Albert and Princess Mathilde

Queen Elizabeth, Queen Paola & The Duke of Edinburgh were present at the remembrance ceremony at Tyne Cot for the 90th anniversary of the Passendale battle, in Ieper.
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola during the ceremony
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola during the ceremony 2
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola during the ceremony 3

Queen Elizabeth, Queen Paola and The Duke of Edinburgh pay their respect to the death soldiers.
Queen Elizabeth by the graves of the deceased soldiers
Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip observe the graves of the soldiers
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola stand still the memorial, dedicated to the 90th anniversary of the Passendale Battle

Thanks to all that have posted so many great pics. I think everyone looks wonderful. Although I am a little unsure about the hat of Queen Paola and the overall color of her outfit, seems a little boring. I loved the pics of Philippe greeting Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. The shy and stand-off-ish Philippe that I sometimes see in pics wasn't there. He looked confident and comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom