Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

More pictures:

BelgaPicture
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Paola looks great and finally a wearing a hat again. Good to see the king, he usually makes me smile... Like her Dutch visit, Queen Elizabeth II seems to be in a very good mood, and showing it with a lovely smile!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Courtier

Mathilde is very elegant, beautiful and wonderful.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Gentry

That thing on Princess Mathildes head its beautiful. She looks great and King Albert to.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Mathilde lovely as usual.... I love PHilippe nice gesture on one pic
Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Aristocracy

What Philippe's gesture(movement)? Give I a link to find the photo Thank you
Old 07-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Aristocracy

I really like Paola's clothes, but to be honest: The hat is ugly (sorry because of this word, but I really, really don't like it)
Old 07-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you everyone for the pictures!
All Ladies look wonderful, even though I'm not a fan of either Mathilde's or Paola's headpieces.

Some more pictures - Belgian Royals welcome Queen Elizabeth & The Duke of Edinburgh
Queen Elizabeth and King Albert
Queen Elizabeth, King Albert and Queen Paola
Queen Paola, Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth, King Albert
Prince Philippe, Queen Paola, Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth, King Albert and Princess Mathilde

Queen Elizabeth, Queen Paola & The Duke of Edinburgh were present at the remembrance ceremony at Tyne Cot for the 90th anniversary of the Passendale battle, in Ieper.
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola during the ceremony
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola during the ceremony 2
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola during the ceremony 3

Queen Elizabeth, Queen Paola and The Duke of Edinburgh pay their respect to the death soldiers.
Queen Elizabeth by the graves of the deceased soldiers
Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip observe the graves of the soldiers
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola stand still the memorial, dedicated to the 90th anniversary of the Passendale Battle
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth arrives to take part in a commemoration ceremony for the 90th anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele near Ypres July 12, 2007. Three major battles were fought around the town of Ypres. Allied armies halted twice the advance of German troops to the North Sea and then launched a counter-attack in 1917 in a third battle, known as the battle of Passchendaele

Queen Elizabeth is greeted upon her arrival
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola during the ceremony
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola walk away after the ceremony
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola walk away after the ceremony 2
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola walk away after the ceremony 3

Queen Elizabeth walks among the graves of the soldiers killed in the battle
Queen Elizabeth walks among the graves of the soldiers killed in the battle 2

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola lay flowers on the memorial of the soldiers killed in the battle
Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola lay flowers on the memorial of the soldiers killed in the battle 2
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks to all that have posted so many great pics. I think everyone looks wonderful. Although I am a little unsure about the hat of Queen Paola and the overall color of her outfit, seems a little boring. I loved the pics of Philippe greeting Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. The shy and stand-off-ish Philippe that I sometimes see in pics wasn't there. He looked confident and comfortable.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I was wondering why The Governor-General of Australia, and his wife, were there
Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Royal Highness

I love Queen Elizabeth in this violet color. Queen Paola's suit is very elegant.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I was wondering why The Governor-General of Australia, and his wife, were there
There also were Governor-Generals from New Zealand, Canada, etc.

All to commemorate the fallen soldiers from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and other Commonwealth countries who have fallen "for King and Country" in 1914-1918.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Royal Highness

I must say I was a bit 'shocked' that Her Brittanic Majesty has been so economical.

Instead of the Royal Train, the Queen headed for Brussels by Eurostar train.

Instead of a grand hotel or accomodation in a royal palace, the Queen stayed in the quite middle-of-the-road Méridien Hotel in Brussels, a typical businessmen's hotel.

Instead of in a nice limousine, the Queen was transported in a Ford Transit bus, together with the Duke and Duchess of Brabant.

Where has style gone, these days?????

Old 07-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Serene Highness

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
I must say I was a bit 'shocked' that Her Brittanic Majesty has been so economical.

Instead of the Royal Train, the Queen headed for Brussels by Eurostar train.

Instead of a grand hotel or accomodation in a royal palace, the Queen stayed in the quite middle-of-the-road Méridien Hotel in Brussels, a typical businessmen's hotel.

Instead of in a nice limousine, the Queen was transported in a Ford Transit bus, together with the Duke and Duchess of Brabant.

Where has style gone, these days?????

I didn't realize the details of the hotel and the Ford Transit bus. My guess is that the Queen chose to do things different because this was a day to honor fallen soldiers not to come in and impress as one would do when they are on an official state visit. I think maybe the situation/reasoning for the visit made sense to do things in a less grand manner therefore keeping the focus on the right cause. But what do I know!

What would this visit be called? Was this what they call an "official visit"? I know it wasn't a state visit I know what those are. But I'm a little confused about what exactly an "official visit" would be? This was so short and only had one purpose as it seems so I'm not sure what to classify it as.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Serene Highness

great photos thanks everyone. mathilde is just the definition of serene highness, she always looks lovely and perfect. (some weird head pieces aside). The queen certainly looks blooming and happy during this visit. she is such an amazing woman, i'm 40 years younger and her hectic pace makes me tired just reading about it.
i think that explantion makes perfect sense aurora and shows respect to the fallen soldiers not drawing attention to themselves, the world would certainly be a different place without their highest devotion to duty and sacrifice.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810 View Post
I didn't realize the details of the hotel and the Ford Transit bus. My guess is that the Queen chose to do things different because this was a day to honor fallen soldiers not to come in and impress as one would do when they are on an official state visit. I think maybe the situation/reasoning for the visit made sense to do things in a less grand manner therefore keeping the focus on the right cause. But what do I know!

What would this visit be called? Was this what they call an "official visit"? I know it wasn't a state visit I know what those are. But I'm a little confused about what exactly an "official visit" would be? This was so short and only had one purpose as it seems so I'm not sure what to classify it as.

It was an official visit. Like in February, when the Queen visited the Netherlands. Back then royal limousines by the Netherlands Royal Mews were used for the transport of the Queen and the Duke. See pic. Back then Her Brittanic Majesty was welcomed with a lining of guards. See pic.

Yesterday Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde went to the eh, un-royal, Méridien Hotel and posed in front of the entrance, with the Queen, while in the lobby guests were watching. See pic. The British royal couple was transported in a Ford Transit. See pic.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Serene Highness

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
[/font]

It was an official visit. Like in February, when the Queen visited the Netherlands. Back then royal limousines by the Netherlands Royal Mews were used for the transport of the Queen and the Duke. See pic. Back then Her Brittanic Majesty was welcomed with a lining of guards. See pic.

Yesterday Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde went to the eh, un-royal, Méridien Hotel and posed in front of the entrance, with the Queen, while in the lobby guests were watching. See pic. The British royal couple was transported in a Ford Transit. See pic.

I see the pictures but I still think I'm confused as to what this specific visit was. This just seems so different then any other royal visit I've seen. Something about this visit just doesn't make sense to me. I agree the style of both are very different I'm not sure if it comes down to just different countries do different things or if this is just a different type of visit. Could it be that this visit was shortened or changed because of King Albert's health?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Royal Highness

Is King Albert going to be given the Order of the Garter on this trip?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Is King Albert going to be given the Order of the Garter on this trip?
Not that we know of. On the Château de Laeken the Queen and the Duke had a private lunch with the King and Queen of the Belgians, in the presence of the Duke and Duchess of Brabant.

It was private and there were no pictures nor was any communiqué released.

Tags
belgium, duke of edinburgh, official visit, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii