Queen Elisabeth Music Competition, 2008-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde hosted a lunch for the members of the jury of the Queen Elisabeth Competition 2015 at the Royal Palace today, May 26:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

This Evening Queen Mathilde and Hed Grand Duchess Stephanie of Luxembourg.

For the first time I heard, Majesté, Votre Altesse Royale.

In the past Queen Fabiola was called Madame/Mevrouw.

For Albert II and Queen Paola : Sire, Madame.

Last edited:
Tonight the concert was attended by Laurent and Claire. I just was able to see the 2nd performance; Brahms violin concerto in D op. 77 by the Korean Bomsori Kim, who gave a great & passionate performance. During the applause the prince looked as if he had been drinking lemon juice for the whole night, a bit sour.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Elisabeth and Queen Mathilde at a session of the finals of the Queen Elisabeth Violin Competition 2015 at the Brussels' Bozar, Thursday 28 May 2015.

Belga pics

I really like how the Belgian king and queen are preparing her daughter for her role.

The princess is also staying for the 2nd half btw, by an American from Utah. The piece is rather difficult in the ear. It seems that the Queen is explaining it to her daughter (after the violinist was done).

Last edited:
I really like how the Belgian king and queen are preparing her daughter for her role.

The princess is also staying for the 2nd half btw, by an American from Utah. The piece is rather difficult in the ear. It seems that the Queen is explaining it to her daughter (after the violinist was done).

I agree with you, Elisabeth is getting more and more involved in official activities but at the same time keeping her life as normal as possible for a young teenager, by the time she's 18, she'll know the ropes pretty well and there are few better teachers than her parents for this.

Elisabeth really likes music, she has attended not only this competition but other musical activities and sings/plays piano herself so it wasn't very difficult to imagine that she would like to stay for a whole session :flowers:

BTW I think I saw Fabiola's earrings on Mathilde, posted about that in her jewelry thread ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree. They took "Lisa" on her first walkabout when she was just a toddler. Philippe and Mathilde have been able to strike the perfect balance in allowing her to have as normal a childhood as possible, while preparing her for her official role as Duchess of Brabant and future Queen of the Belgians.

And it's paid off. She is a preternaturally poised young girl who puts Royals twice her age to shame, imo. Philippe and Mathilde are too well-bred to crow and boast, but I wouldn't blame them a bit if they did.;)

BTW, I saw a photo of some violets draped over a statue of Queen Elisabeth. I wonder if that was a memorial tribute to Queen Fabiola? Violet was her signature color.

Last edited:
I agree. They took "Lisa" on her first walkabout when she was a toddler. Philippe and Mathilde have been able to strike the perfect balance in allowing her to have as normal a childhood as possible, while preparing her for her official role as Duchess of Brabant and future Queen of the Belgians.

And it's paid off. She is a preternaturally poised young girl who puts Royals twice her age to shame, imo. Philippe and Mathilde are too well-bred to crow and boast, but I wouldn't blame them a bit if they did.;)
Perhaps Phillippe and Mathilde are who Victoria and Daniel are copying with Estelle. Just a little, controlled exposure on a small scale, like Victoria's birthday. It would perhaps smooth the path in a way that Victoria's was not. And, if 'Lisa' is anything to go by, they could do a whole lot worse.

The concert of tonight is attended by prince Amedeo and his wife. What an attractive pair they make.

Edit: Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz and Princess Laeticia are also there. Princess Astrid seemed rather exited at the end. And quite righly so as the performance by esp. the Russian violinist was incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if they saw the winner of the competition.

Very nice how the Belgian RF is attending the concours every day as it is the most important competition of its kind in the world.

Last edited:

Yesterday, May 30, the last session of the finals took place and the winners were announced - Queen Mathilde was present:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

It didn't go without some embarrassement: they didn't announce the name of the winner very clearly, so two contestants thought they won. One of them had to be disappointed and sent of stage. Rather painful.

The Queen apparently was late.

VIDEO. Verkeerde winnares op podium geroepen en terug wegges... - Het Nieuwsblad

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/cultuur+en+media/kunsten/1.2355728

The chairwoman dedicated the competition to Queen Fabiola, who was involved with the competition for half a century almost.

Last edited:
There is live broadcasting on TV of competition?

About me worshiped the piano and violin would see every day. I can't play but i want it very.

I guess mistakes are make but especially the communication error winner what to say is for laughs ant tears together . Poor Ji.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is live broadcasting on TV of competition?

Yes, the finals (2 musicians per evening) are broadcast live on tv as well as the proclamation of the winner, it's been a live-broadcast for several years now (i used to watch but haven't in recent years); this year also the semi-finals were broadcast live

About me worshiped the piano and violin would see every day. I can't play but i want it very.

You'd probably love this competition then, both piano and violin are featured (in different years of the competition cycle) and there are often very good musicians on the verge of a very succesful solo-career (and not only the winners ;) )

I saw the Competition every evening and yesterday we had the last day and the Proclamation.

The President started in Dutch " Majesty , this year the Competition will be dedicated to the late Queen Fabiola. STOP ! Queen Mathilde was not in the Royal Lodge. She enterred and the President/Chairman started again his speech.

But the worse was to come :
The President annouced : First Price Ji Young Lim (South Corea). The violonist was to pleased and entered the Concert Hall, BUT she has to return at her place ... the first Price was Lee Ji Yoon (South Corea) !
This should never have happened !

Last edited:
Queen Mathilde of Belgium sits during the award ceremony for the laureates of the Queen Elisabeth Violin Competition 2015 at the Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel in Waterloo, on June 2, 2015.

Gettyimages picture gallery

I think first price : 25.000 euros
Price of the Public : 2.500 euros !
Please correct me if mistake .

Two lovely royal ladies at the concert of the 6th, the 5th and the 4th winner of the Queen Elisabeth Competition at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels on June 9:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

And this evening, June 11, Queen Mathilde and King Philippe attended the final concert of this year's competition:

** belga gallery ** gettyimages **

Last edited:

Queen Mathilde attended another qualifying event of the Queen Elisabeth Competition 2016 in Brussels today, May 4. The Palace shared a pic of her with young people of the intercommunal academy of Court-Saint-Étienne and Ottignies-Louvain-la-Neuve.

** Pic **

Lovely little Princess Eleonore accompanied her mother Queen Mathilde to the first semi final session of the Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2016 at Brussels' Flagey today, May 9:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** fb gallery ** belga gallery ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
:previous:

on the 3rd row you can see teh Archduchess Carl-Ludwig of Austria, née Pss Anna Gabriele of Wrede.

Just a minor correction: the Princess was married to Archduke Rudolph of Austria, the younger brother of Archduke Carl Ludwig.

Emmanuel looks more and more like his father as he grows up! :eek:
He's like a little clone of the King :lol:

Reactions: eya
It was great that Mathilde bought some of her children with her to the music competition. Little Eleonore is so sweet. Emmanuel looks rather grown up now, and I agree that he's a carbon copy of King Philippe!

Back
Top Bottom