The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
Gabriel already looked tired upon arrival, at 20:00. My guess is he had a very late night the night before... A party? Just think back to when you were 14,15,16... I certainly know I didn't go to bed as early as I do now

Elisabeth has a genuine interest in classical music, that's for sure. Gabriel looked like he'd rather have been anywhere else haha. Also waving at the crowd when they gave his mom a standing ovation took away a lot of his credibility among his friends I think
Or maybe he did some sport in the afternoon and was really tired in the evening. I laughed at his embarrassed face when Mathilde had to stand up after Arie van Lyseeth, president of the jury, made a tribute to her contribution. He was like..."omg what now?!"

Old 05-14-2018, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
Or maybe he did some sport in the afternoon and was really tired in the evening. I laughed at his embarrassed face when Mathilde had to stand up after Arie van Lyseeth, president of the jury, made a tribute to her contribution. He was like..."omg what now?!"
Is there any video of that moment ? It would be nice to share it in the forum.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Is there any video of that moment ? It would be nice to share it in the forum.
The entire final session in on the RTBF website, it doesn't have (surprisingly) and geographical restriction and one needs only to register. But I don't know how or whether it is possible to download it...

Final - Session 3 and awarding - RTBF Auvio

It is only available for 5/6 days more.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Teenagers LOL
Old 05-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I believe this is a slightly OT question for the thread but anyway...I think they try to balance their presence fairly, but Elisabeth has started much earlier than her siblings, plus what she does is slightly different. She has already given a few, although short, speeches, attended war commemorations and inaugurations. Whereas her brothers and sister only went to visit museums, exhibitions but nothing too formal (except Gabriel who went to commemoration for the late Queen Astrid in Switzerland).
Thanks! You make good points about Princess Elisabeth's speeches and the range of her activities (I think some of the engagements attended by the younger siblings could also be viewed as formal, though perhaps less so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Philippe’s siblings are full-time royals. As for Elisabeth’s siblings, I believe it has been decided that they won’t get state funding like their aunt/uncle, but I am pretty sure they will be expected to take part in some official royal engagements ( and be reimbursed for that as CP Victoria’s siblings in Sweden).
True, that is allowed by the law, but in contrast to Philippe's siblings, Elisabeth's siblings will be required to support themselves, and their careers will limit the number of royal engagements they conduct.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is the way I see it: Philippe & Mathilde want their 4 children to be part of their active life, and gently introduce them to their public roles. They are not locked away from public view, but attend annual formal activities (National Day, Queen Elisabeth Competition, Christmas Concert) and more relaxed activities (Museum Night, Visiting a company, a procession, a folkloric event, sport games) more or less according to their own interests. It's rare that all 4 children attend a less formal occasion at once with their parents.

Then there's also the annual family photo shoot on location and the official photos.

So all in all we get to see the royal children often enough to remember they exist, that there's 4 of them, that they are fluent in several languages (never underestimate this in Belgium) and that they also wear jeans to school :-)

The benefit for the children is that they understand their roles, their public image and yes, their duties... But at the same time they're protected by the presence of their family. It would be so easy to shoot pictures of the children at the school gate every day, yet this never happens. Often there's a message on social media about Elisabeth & Mathilde shopping somewhere, yet no picture ever accompanies the message.

I think Belgian court has certainly managed a very good balance on how much they introduce the children to public life.

When their children will be big enough to officially step in where Astrid or (god forbid) Laurent is needed now, they will be well at ease - much unlike Philippe in his day.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 AM
Heir Apparent

It is the first time since 1935 with King Leopold and Queen Astrid that we have a royal couple with young Children.
They are doing their very best.
Their 4 Children are speaking Dutch fluently what never happened since 1830 !
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Today, May 15, the annual award ceremony for the winners of the Queen Elisabeth Competition 2018 took place in Argenteuil:

** belga gallery **
Old 05-16-2018, 04:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

And we have one picture from Prince Laurent, Claire and Louise who attends the competition in 11 May

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp...5/IMG_8170.jpg
Old 05-16-2018, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Great to have a photo, and such a lovely one! Louise has grown into a pretty teenage girl!

Here are a few more photos from yesterday:

** fb gallery **
Old 06-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Administrator

This evening, June 4, Queen Mathilde and King Philippe attended the closing concert of this year's competition:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **
Old 06-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

More photos from tonight

Belga Image

Tags
belgian royal family, music, music competition, queen elisabeth, queen elisabeth music competition