Queen Elisabeth Music Competition, 2008-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When id H.M.Queen Paola due to attend?

:previous:

Queen Paola is not expected to attend any of the concerts, she isn't listed at the schedule the Palace has provided.

Thanks a lot Iceflower. It was not mentionned in our newspapers.
Queen Paola is not able to attend these Concerts now .

You are most welcome, maria-olivia! :flowers: Unfortunately there are no pics of Astrid and Lorenz's attendance..I've only seen a screenshot of a news clip..

Yesterday, May 31, Queen Mathilde attended a final together with the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Sarvath al-Hassan of Jordan:

** Pic **

Queen Mathilde attended the 4th final session yesterday evening, June 1st, accompanied by her son, Prince Gabriel

**screenshots**

Reactions: eya
Yesterday, May 31, Queen Mathilde attended a final together with the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Sarvath al-Hassan of Jordan
Glad to see the three ladies together. Is it known if there was a particular reason for the attendance of the Duchess of Gloucester and of Princess Sarvath?

Glad to see the three ladies together. Is it known if there was a particular reason for the attendance of the Duchess of Gloucester and of Princess Sarvath?

The concours often attract royal visitors. Last year Queen Máxima suddenly popped up next to Queen Mathilde, enjoying laureates playing at the concours. We may assume the guests at least like classic music... ;-)

The concours often attract royal visitors. Last year Queen Máxima suddenly popped up next to Queen Mathilde, enjoying laureates playing at the concours. We may assume the guests at least like classic music... ;-)

The Duchess of Gloucester is President of the Royal Academy of Music, she must take some interest in classical music, and maybe some of the contestants study in London...

It's a pity that we didn't get any proper pics of the latest finals with Astrid and Lorenz on Tuesday, Mathilde and Gabriel on Thursday (thanks for the screenshots, Marchesina!). Laurent and Claire attended a final together with Louise yesterday, he posted three pics on his Twitter account:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

It's a pity that we didn't get any proper pics of the latest finals with Astrid and Lorenz on Tuesday, Mathilde and Gabriel on Thursday (thanks for the screenshots, Marchesina!). Laurent and Claire attended a final together with Louise yesterday, he posted three pics on his Twitter account:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

You're welcome :flowers: it's a pity indeed, I don't remember a lack of pics in the previous editions of the Concours, it's a bit odd to be honest.
I saw a footage from the RTBF website and Laurent was wearing earplugs during the concert. :ROFLMAO:

:lol: That's Laurent...;) I remember that in previous years there have been finals without press coverage before, still it's always a pity..

Yesterday, June 3, Queen Mathilde was present together with Princess Elisabeth and fortunately some nice photos were taken :)

** belga gallery ** gettyimages gallery ** fb gallery **

Last edited:
Wow, Elisabeth is wearing heels? :eek:
WHERE DID TIME GO? SHE WAS BUT A TINY WAFFLETTE LIKE YESTERDAY! :D

Wow, Elisabeth is wearing heels? :eek:
WHERE DID TIME GO? SHE WAS BUT A TINY WAFFLETTE LIKE YESTERDAY! :D

THe shoes are OK, but Elisabeth doesn't look good on that dress.

I saw on TV the Finale.
Before the Proclamation of the Results Queen Mathilde received a Standing Ovation for what she is did for the Queen Elisabeth Music Competition. Queen Fabiola had it also !
Warm moments between Mathilde and Elisabeth!

It's great to see Elisabeth again! She has blossomed into a beautiful young lady. I think she resembles her mother around the face quite a lot. I get the feeling that she'll be a great queen one day.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but what was or is the day that the Duchess of Gloucester is due to attend the competition?

It's great to see Elisabeth again! She has blossomed into a beautiful young lady. I think she resembles her mother around the face quite a lot. I get the feeling that she'll be a great queen one day.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but what was or is the day that the Duchess of Gloucester is due to attend the competition?

It was on May 31st, the 3rd final session

Thank you, Marchesina. I guess the event that Elisabeth were at was an extra event.

It was another day but still part of the final session. Each of the 12 finalists has to perform a new piece (specifically composed for the event by a contemporary composer) and a repertory piece. Therefore the final is "split" into 6 days. In the last day of the final, the winners are announced. Princess Elisabeth attended the last day of finals with her mother.

Seeing the photos from this year's award ceremony just now, I am a bit disappointed by the lack of press coverage compared to previous years. We used to have more agencies covering the event, but maybe judging from the lack of coverage at several finals it's a trend..

** fb gallery ** rex gallery **

The Queen Elisabeth Music Competition lasts several weeks, from the first selection to the 12 finals, the award ceremony and the laureate concerts afterwards.

You can keep track of the whole thing here: Queen Mathilde: QEC

It was another day but still part of the final session. Each of the 12 finalists has to perform a new piece (specifically composed for the event by a contemporary composer) and a repertory piece. Therefore the final is "split" into 6 days. In the last day of the final, the winners are announced. Princess Elisabeth attended the last day of finals with her mother.

Thank you both for clearing that confusion up.

Seeing the photos from this year's award ceremony just now, I am a bit disappointed by the lack of press coverage compared to previous years. We used to have more agencies covering the event, but maybe judging from the lack of coverage at several finals it's a trend..

I was just thinking that the photos were scarce this year,there was defiantly more coverage a few years back when queen Fabiola was alive and attending.

Perhaps this goes for photo agencies.

All the concerts were broadcast live on Belgian tv and online, the competition is very much alive in Belgium, and around the world for all those who are interested in classical music. It certainly hasn't lost its importance.

I thought the same thing, especially for the "central" days of the competition. No photo agency coverage for P.Astrid and P.Laurent attendance. Even when Queen Mathilde attended, only the opening day and the final day had plenty of pictures. No pictures of Prince Gabriel, nor of the foreign royal guests, except from a single picture provided by the Royal Palace. From outside Belgium I perceived the musical competition as being still strong among audience, even outside the country. I can understand, though, that the audience might be more interested in the music rather than the royals.

Perhaps this goes for photo agencies.

All the concerts were broadcast live on Belgian tv and online, the competition is very much alive in Belgium, and around the world for all those who are interested in classical music. It certainly hasn't lost its importance.

That's good to know, thanks for sharing your impression and insight!

I can understand, though, that the audience might be more interested in the music rather than the royals.

That's also a good point. I haven't seen any TV coverage here at all, but after all the music, participants and laureates should occupy centre stage. And that most certainly is what the members of the Royal Family, who attended, think as well.

That's good to know, thanks for sharing your impression and insight!

That's also a good point. I haven't seen any TV coverage here at all, but after all the music, participants and laureates should occupy centre stage. And that most certainly is what the members of the Royal Family, who attended, think as well.

During the final evening Queen Mathilde received a standing ovation from the jury and the audience as a thank you to her constant presence and support during the various phases of the competition, and the tv commentators never failed to mention the royal family (they even talked about the royal children being somewhat musicians themselves).

" I can understand, though, that the audience might be more interested in the music rather than the royals."

Of course! Mathilde's an ambassador for the competition, but it's all about the music. I don't think anyone watches these concerts if they're not classical music lovers...

Back
Top Bottom