The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Aristocracy

Definitely looks like her mother, a little more serene.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Aristocracy

in my opinion she resembes her mother to quite an extent.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck
Little Esmeralda with her half brother, Baudouin

paris match

u sure thats esmeralda, i thought she was a brunnete.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishchic5
In this picture, Marie-Christine looks just like Astrid's eldest daughter Maria-Laura, doesn't she?
yes ,the resembance is uncanny
Old 03-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Gentry

Of all the children of the second marriage of King Leopold III I like Esmeralda the most. Don't know why, but from all the interviews I have seen she seems to me like a very down to earth woman, who chose her own path in live without breaking any ties with her family.

Do we know anything about the godparents of her children?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I agree with you Fie and for exactly the same reasons. And she did not go to the press to start about her half siblings, as I am suire she has been asked to do several times (unlike MC).

Anyway, I couldn't find the godparents of her children but just her own godparents:

King Albert II of Belgium
Princess Marie-Adelaide of Luxembourg
Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Gentry

That seems to be right. According to my sources all three children of Leopold and his first wife Astrid were godparent to one of their halfsiblings.

Joséphine-Charlotte was godmother to Alexander (or Alexandre), Baudouin was godfather to Marie-Christine (the rebel) and Albert was godfather to Marie-Esmeralda (or Esmeralda for short).

Traditionally in Belgian Roman Catholic families with a first child it's the father of the father that is godfather together with the mother of the mother. Second one is father of the mother together with the mother of the father.

As Princess Lilian was not a godparent to either of her stepchildren's children I would presume that Lilian was asked to be a godmother to either of her daughter's children, most likely would be Alexandra, as she's her maternal grandmother. Then it's quite possible that Esmeralda's brother Alexander (or Alexandre) is godfather to Leopoldo, because it's quite common that if the grandfather has died, one of his sons is chosen to take over.

But it seems clear that nothing was made public at the time, and looking at the fact that Esmeralda is quite private, it might be a piece of information we will never know...
Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Is it true that Baudouin tried to maintain ties with his half-sister Marie Christine for years by offering her financial assistance before finally throwing in the towel?

I think Esmeralda was always called "Esme" within the family, and MC was called "Daphne" from what I have read.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fie View Post
As Princess Lilian was not a godparent to either of her stepchildren's children I would presume that Lilian was asked to be a godmother to either of her daughter's children, most likely would be Alexandra, as she's her maternal grandmother.
I thought Princess Lilian should be at least one of the godmothers of Archduchess Marie-Astrid of Austria nee Luxembourg, the first child of HRH Josephine-Charlotte, as her full name is Marie-Astrid Liliane Charlotte Léopoldine Wilhelmine Ingeborg Antoinette Elisabeth Anna Alberta.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone have pictures of Esmeralda's wedding?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Nobility

according to netty royalty page Princess esmeralda's first husband Paul druker died april 1st 2008
Old 04-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wasn't Paul Druker Princess Marie-Christine's husband?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Nobility

whoops!!!!!!!!! I found the right thread. sorry for the mix up.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Princess Esmeralda has been interviewed by the Walonian version of Paris Match. The photo has been heavily photoshopped.

Look here for the cover.

Courtesy: Catherine at the BRMB.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Professor Moncada, princess Esmeralda's husband

The famous scientist Professor Salador Moncada , Princess Marie-Esmeralda's husband never received belgian titles.
British citizen since 1985, Professor at the Royal College in London, he was also chairman at the Wolfson Institute for biomedical researches and did a lot also for the research of new drugs
HM Queen Elisabeth made him Knight Bachelor , one of the highest british honorific nominations, for all what he did for science .
This brilliant scientist is now Sir Moncada and his wife is a Lady.
He married Princess Marie Esmeralda, daughter of King leopold III and Princess Lilian de Rethy. They have two children Alexandra and Leopoldo and are living in London.

I am glad to annouce this high nomination of a member of our RF.

I was sad during Prince Alexandre's funeral because the press ingnored the huge sorrow of Marie-Esmeralda losing her only brother , as the highlight was on the major royals Princesses Mathilde and Claire smilling during the office. Of course this smiling pictures were not published in the belgian press.
Queen Elisabeth II will nominate him officially at Buckingham Palace during an Investiture ceremony next spring.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 AM
Administrator

On the occassion of the 68th birthday of her brother, the late prince Alexandre of Belgium, his youngest sister princess Esmeralda gave an interview to 2 blogs: noblesse & royautes and blog sur la famille royale belge. The interview is in French:

Blog sur la famille royale belge

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/nr01/?p=35820
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Princess Esmeralda pictured during the presentation of her book "Terre!
Agissons pour la planète, il n'est pas trop tard..." (Earth! Act for the planet,
it's not too late ...) organized by Racine publisher at Tour & Taxis building
in Brussels on December 15, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga gallery **
Old 01-01-2011, 06:45 AM

I have been looking for any pictures of the wedding of Princess Esmeralda with Salvador Moncada in 1998. Was it a quiet wedding? and where was she married, in Brussels or in London?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

They married in London, on 4 April 1998.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Professor Moncada was invited by Princess Lilian who often invited physicians.
They felt in love and had a very private wedding in London 4th April 1998 because Maria Esmeralda was pregnant.
I think Princess Lilian who wanted royal weddings for her children was disappointed but was so happy with the birth of her first grandchild Alexandra.
In 1998 Prince Alexandre said to his mother that he married 7 years ago Miss Lea Wohlman.. Could you imagine the situation , 7 Christmases , 7 birthdays he went alone to his mother.
I am sure MAfan knows the date of Alexandra's Moncanda 's birthday

Tags
princess esmeralda