Luxembourg State Visit to Belgium: March 20-22, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is nice picture - MT & Henri (gettyimages)
MT looked very nice on the second day outing. does anyone know how close the Luxembourg family is with the belgium royals?

Stefan said:

Ah, I always thought that those were sapphires. I never saw a coloured picture of it anyway. But indeed we have no idea what happened to it, but as it was last worn by Lilian in the 50-ties or 60-ties, I suspect they sold it to.

To Henri: the jewels of Empress Carlota went to the Belgian RF indeed. I believe Queen Marie-Jose of Italy inherited one of the tiaras even. But most of the jewels were said to be sold by Leopold II, to finance his projects in the Congo. Not a very gentlemanlike thing to do, but then Leopold II was never bothered with high moral standards :) .

dazzling said:
this is nice picture - MT & Henri (gettyimages)
MT looked very nice on the second day outing. does anyone know how close the Luxembourg family is with the belgium royals?

The Luxembourg family is related to the Belgium royals via marriage.
The Grand Duke's mother (the late Grand Duchess Josephine) was the sister King Albert. Thus the Grand Duke and Phillipe, Astrid and Laurent are first cousins. Grand Duke is nephew of King Albert, etc.

In addition, there are a lot of godmothers/godfathers between families. The late Grand Duchess Josephine and Princess Astrid for example.

Above and beyond that they are all cousins and aunts and uncles through intermarriage.

Wow - I can't get over how good Paola looked! Is it me or does she look like she has a new fashion advisor and has had some "work" done! In any event, she looks GREAT! MT looks good, but that HUGE tiara really does nothing for her. Her clothes look good this trip.

princess gertrude said:
Wow - I can't get over how good Paola looked! Is it me or does she look like she has a new fashion advisor and has had some "work" done! In any event, she looks GREAT! MT looks good, but that HUGE tiara really does nothing for her. Her clothes look good this trip.

You know, I have to agree with you Princess Gertrude.
MT has had some lovely outfits (so far) this visit. BUT, that tiara...I think it's just too much for someone that is not that tall. I wonder how tall she is?
It just seems that instead of MT wearing the tiara, the tiara is wearing MT.
It's so tall and bulky...and she's a little on the short side...:flowers:

Yes, she has one tiara, she got it from the all the duke and duchesses in Belgium.
That mean that is a real special tiara for her, because her father is a duke and her mother a duchess

Hey! Pictures from today (GettyImages)

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/73668367.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935B3684F2B7A07BEBD5F4BAA9507CC4E3

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/73668383.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935B3684F2B7A07BEB668DD08A0DD5325A

73668369.jpg

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/73668366.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935B3684F2B7A07BEB849164FFEA21DBCE

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/73668361.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935B3684F2B7A07BEB960D5581202995B2

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/73668356.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935B3684F2B7A07BEBEE2F76D43781C784

What a wonderful black evening dress that Maria Theresa wore! Didn't she wear the exact same dress to the celebration of the King in Sweden? I love her necklace also, makes a good contrast with the black and silver.

mathilde16 said:
Yes, she has one tiara, she got it from the all the duke and duchesses in Belgium.
That mean that is a real special tiara for her, because her father is a duke and her mother a duchess

Mathilde's father was no Duke but a Jonkheer (Écuyer), being the younger son of Baron d'Udekem d'Acoz. He was elevated to Graaf (Comte) when his daughter married Prince Philippe.

Mathilde's mother is a Countess (Gravin) Komorowska.

The diademe was a gift of the Belgian Nobility. Not from the Dukes only.

There are four noble Dukes in Belgium:
Duc de Croÿ-Solre (Hertog van Croÿ-Solre)
Duc de Corswarem-Looz (Hertog van Corswarem-Looz)
Duc d'Ursel (Hertog van Ursel)
Duc d'Arenberg (Hertog van Arenberg)

Duc de Brabant (Hertog van Brabant) is no noble title but a dynastical title for the person of the Heir-Apparent.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
Mathilde's father was no Duke but a Jonkheer (Écuyer), being the younger son of Baron d'Udekem d'Acoz. He was elevated to Graaf (Comte) when his daughter married Prince Philippe.

Mathilde's mother is a Countess Komorowska.

The diademe was a gift of the Belgian Nobility. Not from the Dukes only.

There are four noble Dukes in Belgium:
Duc de Croÿ-Solre (Hertog van Croÿ-Solre)
Duc de Corswarem-Looz (Hertog van Corswarem-Looz)
Duc d'Ursel (Hertog van Ursel)
Duc d'Arenberg (Hertog van Arenberg)

Duc de Brabant (Hertog van Brabant) is no noble title but a dynastical title for the person of the Heir-Apparent.

Thanks, I didn't know the exact information...

Thanks for the beautiful photos.
Extremely lovely Mathilde!!!

I don't get whats so funny...

In this picture with Fabiola and Mathilde...
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
It just makes Mathilde look like shes picking on Fabiola. Would really appreciate it if someone explained the situation to me. :flowers:

flctylu said:
In this picture with Fabiola and Mathilde...
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
It just makes Mathilde look like shes picking on Fabiola. Would really appreciate it if someone explained the situation to me. :flowers:

The Duchess of Brabant wore a gorgeous gown with bare shoulders but had no warm cape with her and had to leave the Palais des Beaux Arts in the chilly evening.

Queen Fabiola had a nice warm fur cape and the Duchess was hesistating if she could wear the Queen's warm cape: 'What about you, then?' But Queen Fabiola insisted that Mathilde should wear her warm fur, which the Duchess gracefully accepted.

:flowers:

It is beautiful relatives royal family of Luxembourg and Belgium!! Queen Fabiola see out older lady more now. Queen Paola and Grand Duchess Maria-Teresia see out warm relatives!!!

Does anyone know why Prince Laurent and Princess Claire were absent of all the festivities ?

So the Grand Ducal couple did not go back to Luxembourg and still stayed in Belgium?As i saw them attended a Concert to mark the 50th Anniversary of the Treaty of Rome yesterday along with Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands in Brussels.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
So the Grand Ducal couple did not go back to Luxembourg and still stayed in Belgium?As i saw them attended a Concert to mark the 50th Anniversary of the Treaty of Rome yesterday along with Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands in Brussels.

They did go back to Luxembourg on Thursday and returned to Brussels Friday. It is easily to do by plane.

For a nice video see the link.

The Grand Duchess is looking especially youthful and radiant, esp. in the days activities, had she had a little help or does she have a new makeup stylist?

auntie said:
The Grand Duchess is looking especially youthful and radiant, esp. in the days activities, had she had a little help or does she have a new makeup stylist?

For 'a little help' the Grand Duchess needs to be out of the running for a while (to recover from surgery and let the wounds and scars heal). This has not happened, so I think it is her natural self, with lots of make-up.

And there are no 'make up stylists', that sounds so Hollywood-ish or makes you think at the Avon-ladies selling their products at a house party. Some royal ladies will have a coiffeuse annex beautician who do their hair and upkeep.

Queen Beatrix's 'bulletproof hairdo', once designed by Alexandre de Paris, has surprisingly simple ingredients: a simple Carmen-set and a special brand of American hairspray. The Queen uses it since the early Sixties.

Last edited:
Empress said:
Above and beyond that they are all cousins and aunts and uncles through intermarriage.

Oh ! thats really intresting. I also think that is the deal with most of the European royal families are inter-linked by marriage ex, greek family is related to the danish family if im correct etc

I was in Brussels on March 20 I have seen the Koning Albert and queen Paola I have speak with her, and I have seen Grand Ducal Henri and the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa she is beautiful for her 51 years. I Have no pictures there are not good. Sorry for my english.

dazzling said:
Oh ! thats really intresting. I also think that is the deal with most of the European royal families are inter-linked by marriage ex, greek family is related to the danish family if im correct etc

All royal families indeed are related in one or another way. Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange 1687-1711 (a direct ancestor of Queen Beatrix) holds the position of being 'the father of Europe'. He holds the position of being an ancestor to all currently (and most formerly) reigning European royal families.

King Albert II is an uncle to Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Duke of Nassau.
Both descend from King Leopold III of the Belgians.

King Albert II and King Harald V of Norway are first cousins.
Both descend from Prince Carl of Sweden, Duke of Västergötland.

King Albert II and Dom Duarte, the Duke of Bragança are second cousins once removed.
Both descend from Dom Miguel I, King of Portugal.

King Albert II and Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom are third cousins.
Both descend from King Christian IX of Denmark.

King Albert II and Prince Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein are third cousins.
Both descend from Karl-Ludwig, Grand Duke of Baden.

King Albert II and King Constantinos II of the Hellenes are third cousins.

King Albert II and King Mihai I of Romania are third cousins.

King Albert II and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau are third cousins once removed.
Both descend from Wilhelm Prince of Nassau-Weilburg, Duke of Nassau.

King Albert II and Queen Margrethe II of Denmark are third cousins once removed.
Both descend from King Oscar II of Sweden.

King Albert II and King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden are third cousins once removed.
Both descend from King Oscar II of Sweden.

King Albert II and King Simeon II of Bulgaria are third cousins once removed.
Both descend from Louis-Philippe I, King of France.

King Albert II and King Juan Carlos are fourth cousins.
Both descend from Louis-Philippe I, King of France.

King Albert II and Prince Albert of Monaco are fifth cousins.
Both descend from Karl-Ludwig, Grand Duke of Baden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom