The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-21-2007, 03:35 AM
Royal Highness

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa

This time she wore the Elisaveta Michailovna Diademe with greater effect (more rounder, as a crown) than in The Hague, last year.

The Grand-Duchess in The Hague

The Grand-Duchess in Brussels

But I disagree with the ladies praising her hairdo: in bothcases I thought it was ill-fitting for such a grand piece. I remain with my mantra: please wear your hair 'up' when placing a diademe.

By the way: the jewels in The Hague (all diamonds) did suit the Grand Duchess better than the jewels worn yesterday. That dog collar made her look more overweight than she already is (looks too tight around her neck).

Old 03-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Aristocracy

link for Galadinner (Source Belga.be) BelgaPicture

Old 03-21-2007, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Out of my heart (correct me if I'm wrong)

Only during the Spanish State Visit she wore the Medinaceli Diademe (Spanish Wedding Gift Diademe) on her hairdo.

During the Swedish State Visit she wore a few prongs as a necklace, combined with aquamarines.

So the Spanish State Visit was the only one on which she wore a diademe, after de death of her spouse, King Baudouin.
Then she wore the spanish wedding Gift tiara as a necklace on this Visit. I think she wore it also on a later State Visit as Necklace but again with Aquamarines.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Pictures from the gala are great, its nice to see everyone dressed up & the beautiful tiaras. Princess Astrid is in a beautiful elie saab couture gown, that color looks great on her though i dont like the hair, she is wearing a beautiful tiara.I liked everyones outfit for the dinner, all looked very elegent. Maria-teresa's dress is not what id like to see her in, though it was a nice color. why does Mathilde keep wearing the same tiara over & over? its a nice one,but ive not seen her in a different one
Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
Why does Mathilde keep wearing the same tiara over & over? its a nice one,but ive not seen her in a different one
Because she has only one diademe.

The Queen
- Diademe of the Nine Provines (Gift from the Antwerp Diamond Industry and the Belgian people)
- Small Art Déco Bandeau

Queen Fabiola
- Medinaceli Diademe (Spanish Wedding Gift Diademe)
- Small Wolfers Diademe (Gift from the Antwerp Diamond Industry)
- some bigger and smaller jewels

The Duchess of Brabant
- Laurel Leaf Diademe (Gift from the Belgian Nobility)

Princess Claire
- Small converted necklace

You see that the Belgians hardly have purchased any pieces. It mostly are gifts.
It also are not very old pieces. They also lack parures, demi-parures, substantial bracelets, broches, etc.

Princess Astrid has no jewels from the Belgian royal family but from the House of Savoia-Aosta (heirlooms of her spouse).
Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Because she has only one diademe.

Perhaps she could loan the bandeau from Queen Paola like she has for her Wedding Day. Also she worn the new necklaces last year in Sweden and Luxemburg. perhaps she could convert them to small tiaras. Wonder if Astrid could wear the grand emerald necklace she wore last mont in Oslo as tiara. Also Paola has a small necklace which she wore last year during the dutch State-Visit who would make a nice little tiara. In her years as Princess of Liege she has worn the necklace which she wore yesterday evening as tiara but not anymore after becoming Queen.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Aristocracy

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa looks wonderful, and wow the tiara.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Astrid's dress looks like something you'd wear to the prom. Not to a state dinner. I think it would have looked better if it was different colour like a royal blue or a forest green. Not bright yellow I mean way to make yourself stand out.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Commoner

on PPE Agency some beautiful pics of the visit to the town Brugge.
The grand duchess Maria Teresa and queen Paola.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmabruin
Maria- teresa looks wonderful.

I agree with you Elmabruin.
The colour of the dress suits her very well.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
But I disagree with the ladies praising her hairdo: in bothcases I thought it was ill-fitting for such a grand piece. I remain with my mantra: please wear your hair 'up' when placing a diademe.

By the way: the jewels in The Hague (all diamonds) did suit the Grand Duchess better than the jewels worn yesterday. That dog collar made her look more overweight than she already is (looks too tight around her neck).

I don't think MT really has a face for an updo, not everybody does. I know I'm alone with this, but I hate the tiara she is wearing. Very Miss Havisham, on anyone par maybe GD Josephine-Charlotte.

Queen Paola is very beautiful and Queen Fabiola... sheer, pure style. She is very much in the same league with Coco Chanel and Diane Vreeland
Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You see that the Belgians hardly have purchased any pieces. It mostly are gifts.
It also are not very old pieces. They also lack parures, demi-parures, substantial bracelets, broches, etc.

Princess Astrid has no jewels from the Belgian royal family but from the House of Savoia-Aosta (heirlooms of her spouse).
Is there any reason as to why they do not have any other pieces? Have they been sold in the past years?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
Is there any reason as to why they do not have any other pieces? Have they been sold in the past years?
A few tiaras where given to Princess Marie-José when she married the future King Umberto II. of Italy. Then the big Cartier diamond tiara who was in the posession of Queen Elisabethj was left to her oldest son King Léopold III., his second wife Princess Lilian who inherited it after his death sold it at auction which was a bigh shame as it was a really beautiful tiara. And from a lot of pieces it is not known what hapened to them. For example the emerald necklace/Tiara of queen Astrid was not seen for at last 50 years. it can be assumed that a lot of pieces are still in the vaults of Queen fabiola but as she is not to fond of jewels she doesn't wear them. perhaps a few pieces will sho up after she has passed away.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Some have been auctioned by Princess Lilian and some were inherited by GD Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg and Queen Marie-Jose of Italy.

They probably don't have the money to buy some new pieces (or they prefer to spend the money otherwise). This branch of Coburgs was never that rich, I believe. Most of Leopold II's Congo money went to his daughters and mistress(es?) instead of to his nephew Albert I.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
And from a lot of pieces it is not known what hapened to them. For example the emerald necklace/Tiara of queen Astrid was not seen for at last 50 years. it can be assumed that a lot of pieces are still in the vaults of Queen fabiola but as she is not to fond of jewels she doesn't wear them. perhaps a few pieces will sho up after she has passed away.
Didn't GD Maria-Theresa wear that necklace yesterday
Old 03-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Royal Highness

Am I the only one to think that princess Astrid does urgently need a fashion advisor?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Aristocracy

Yes - the Belgians seem to have less jewels and smaller jewels than the other families. But I don't understand what all the discussion is going to do to change that. If it mattered so much to them, they would purchase more. Or better yet, if it matters so much to the members of this forum, perhaps they could pool their resources, purchase an appropriate piece or parure and donate it to the Belgian Royal Family, just as many pieces came into the vaults of just about every other dynasty. I also find it somewhat offensive that some people (on other forum sites) are suggesting that Queen Fabiola has some sort of responsibility/obligation/moral imperative to give her personal jewelry to the other Belgian women or to leave it to them after her death. I doubt that she would ever see this but I hope she does exactly what she pleases with them, as they are her own property.

Back to the issue of the Belgian jewelry, IMO Queen Paola doesn't appear to greatly enjoy the time, work, and effort involved with these events, so maybe she doesn't really care. As far as her hairdo at this event, I think she looked great. Her hair style didn't cover up the tiara. The tiara didn't overwhelm her because her hair was a little longer and styled differently. And the hairstyle itself seems contemporary and makes her appear younger.

Mapper
Old 03-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Didn't GD Maria-Theresa wear that necklace yesterday
No i meant this one

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Courtier

Princess Mathilde was really beautiful at the gala dinner, she looked just great, I liked especially her dress.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Courtier

PPE Agency and Getty Images have some photos of today:

PPE Agency

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Tags
belgium, grand duchess maria teresa, grand duke henri, henri, luxembourg, maria teresa, state visit