King's Feast 2004 - present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully Queen Paola will be well enough for all of those events :previous:

I was invited but this year did not go .
The Day is free only for those working in Public Adminstrations.
When I was young it was a Public Holiday.

It seems that Prince Laurent was supporting the police. He told the press tjhat he was in favor of the police not working for one day, so people would realise what would happen without them. He and his wife posed with a policewoman between them for the cameras.

Several policemen and women were protesting in front of the cathedral after a collegue of theirs was killed last week in Schaerbeek. After the prince posed with the policewoman the protesters were cheering Laurent's name.

Last edited:
It seems that Prince Laurent was showing the police. He told the press tjhat he was in favor of the police not working for one day, so people would realise what would happen without them. He and his wife posed with a policewoman between them for the cameras.

Several policemen and women were protesting in front of the cathedral after a collegue of theirs was killed last week in Schaerbeek. After the prince posed with the policewoman the protesters were cheering Laurent's name.

Last year there was also a protest during this event.
It seems that Belgians take advantage of these events to protest.

This year the celebrations for the King's Feast will begin on 14 November: King Albert, Queen Paola, Princess Astrid, Prince Laurent and Princess Claire will attend a ceremony at the Palais de la Nation. The themes for this year are King Philippe's 10 years on the throne and the Belgian presidency of the Council of the European Union in 2024

https://www.monarchie.be/fr/agenda/fete-du-roi-0

The same family members will also attend the traditional Te Deum in the Cathedral of Saints-Michel-et-Gudule on 15 November:

https://www.monarchie.be/fr/agenda/te-deum-a-loccasion-de-la-fete-du-roi-1

King Albert making sure Princess Astrid isn't too far away.

Albert seems to be in fantastic shape compared to his state back in June. He and Paola look wonderful.

Sad that the kids can't attend because of school. There's an empty chair besides Laurent, so perhaps Claire was supposed to attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see King Albert and Queen Paola doing so well. It seems they had an Italian fan in the public. A pity that pss Claire was unable to attend, the empty chair indeed may mean a late minute cancellation.

Princess Claires attendance at Royal Events has been hit and miss ,was also strange not to see Prince Lorenz there.

Nice to see King Albert and Queen Paola doing so well. It seems they had an Italian fan in the public

King Albert really looked much better today than on National Day, very nice to see. Both him and Paola seem to be doing well.
Yes, in a video shared by Wim Dehandschutter there seems to be a woman speaking Italian in the public, at some point she says she wants to take a picture of Astrid and her parents and Astrid replies to her in Italian: "con piacere"
("my pleasure"), here at around 0'30.
Here's some nice pictures taken by bystanders, after the Te Deum:

Good to see King Albert in good shape after his health struggle in summer. He is the only one of his siblings who good the longevity gens of ther grandmother Queen Elisabeth. But also good to see Queen Poaola in goog shape.

Good to see King Albert in good shape after his health struggle in summer. He is the only one of his siblings who good the longevity gens of ther grandmother Queen Elisabeth. But also good to see Queen Poaola in goog shape.
Indeed, it was also highlighted by Wim Dehandschutter on X/Twitter:
King Albert is now slightly older than his grandmother Queen Elisabeth ever got to be. Unfortunately both his sibilings died much younger, Baudouin especially, of course

He is the only one of his siblings who good the longevity gens of ther grandmother Queen Elisabeth.

Well...we don't know how much Princesses Marie-Christine and Marie-Esmeralda will live ;)

I love Queen Paola in her Nonna Queen era. This is the happiest I think I have ever seen her. This couple has not always been good for, or to, each other yet they are bookending their lives on a happy note.

I love Queen Paola in her Nonna Queen era. This is the happiest I think I have ever seen her. This couple has not always been good for, or to, each other yet they are bookending their lives on a happy note.
I agree that Paola looks very happy and well in these pictures!
However, it's worth remebering that Albert and Paola reconciled (and even "remarried"!) many years ago (the two of them said in an interview that it was around 10-12 years before Albert became King , so in the early 1980s), so it's not a recent thing. The happy years in their now almost 65-year-long marriage are less talked about, but they were certainly more numerous than the bad ones (which were really bad, no doubt!)

Last edited:
Well...we don't know how much Princesses Marie-Christine and Marie-Esmeralda will live ;)
Of course. But then they do not have the longelivity genes of the Bernadottes

Koningsdag seems a rather mellow occasion in Belgium. How many Belgians celebrate this day (as apparently it is a normal school day) and how?

Koningsdag seems a rather mellow occasion in Belgium. How many Belgians celebrate this day (as apparently it is a normal school day) and how?

In the Netherlands King's Day is the national holiday, but the Belgians have their National Day on July 21 and it isn't a mellow occasion at all. The King's Feast is not a national party, although it could certainly be better organized.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom