King Baudouin (1930-1993) and Queen Fabiola (1928-2014) of the Belgians

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agreed. Hopefully Cardinal Daneels has a change of heart.

I agreed. Hopefully Cardinal Daneels has a change of heart.

Realistically it doesn't need the Cardinal's approval of course. Any Bishop with the authority over a diocese where the veneration exists, and who believes the cause to be worthy of examination, can recommend a cause to be opened by the Vatican.

Cardinal Daneels said at our TV short after King Baudouin's passed away that nothing was open in Rome about his Beatification..In Belgium we all know why, but I may not written it on this board.
For Queen Fabiola Cardinal Van Kessel never spoke about it.
There is a Demand for Beatification of Empress Zita since years with no succes .
Always Beatification before Canonisation !!

Cardinal Daneels said at our TV short after King Baudouin's passed away that nothing was open in Rome about his Beatification..In Belgium we all know why, but I may not written it on this board.
There is a Demand for Beatification of Empress Zita since years with no succes .

I'd be really interested to know why it wouldn't be possible for any cause to be opened for Baudouin. But then it would depend if there was a local cause with enough of a presence to be taken seriously. Emperor Karl's cause only seems to be progressing because there's a very committed grass roots cause for it which possibly doesn't exist for Zita, Fabiola or Baudouin.

Always Beatification before Canonisation !!

Is this related to the year 1990? A simple yes or no is all that I need. :flowers:

It was said that the Vatican researched the life of the late king and figured out that it wasn't all saintly.

In 1962 the king refused to pardon the Greek hitman Georges
Kageorgis. Mr. Kageorgis was subsequently put to death as he had received the death penalty (in -then- Belgian Burundi). A practice that was already abolished in Belgium itself.

The king also knew about the murder plot against Patrice Lumumba (first prime minister of the independent Congo) and did nothing. His silence was considered 'tacid approval' of the murder, according to the sociologist Ludo de Witte.

Last edited:
Cardinal Danneels has officiated at many of the Belgian Royal Weddings/Baptisms and Funerals but was he on good terms with King Baudouin?

It was said that the Vatican researched the life of the late king and figured out that it wasn't all saintly.

In 1962 the king refused to pardon the Greek hitman Georges
Kageorgis. The king also knew about the murder plot against Patrice Lumumba (first prime minister of the independent Congo) and did nothing. His silence was considered 'tacid approval' of the murder, according to the sociologist Ludo de Witte.

Thank you for this information Marengo. I very much admired Baudouin-still do in fact-but I have never considered him a saint even though I think there were elements of saintliness in the way he confronted the tragedies and setbacks of his life. I obviously didn't know him but I am almost 100% certain he did not consider himself a saint at all, and an attempt at canonization would probably have horrified him.

Queen Fabiola felt the same way about herself.

In any case, I always suspected deep inside that the Holy See's decision not to consider canonization proceedings had something to do with the unseemly rumors about Baudouin and his step-mother the Princess de Rethy which continue to this day. I am happy to know that this is not the case.

Last edited:

In fact, on 10 December 2009, Mgr Yves Le Saux, Bishop of Le Mans, France, opened the diocesan process for the beatification of Empress Zita:

Genuine curiosity: why would one want a canonisation of K.Baudouin?

:previous: As I posted, there were characteristics of saintliness in Baudouin's personality. Reading available material on him, including excerpts from his private diaries, there can be no doubt about his deep faith and his intense love for the Lord.

He accepted any and all adversity in his life as God's will and put his complete trust in Him, which is the essence of saintliness but....Baudouin was no saint as he probably would be the first to agree.

Last edited:
Don't mix Empress Zita and King Baudouin.
In France Catholics wanted since years a beatification for Empress Zita also .

:previous: I love this couple and I love their story. There is something...innocent, romantic and melancholy about it all at the same time.

They seemed truly fated to be together.

Thanks eya.?

Last edited:
The Infanta Pilar would have been far too bossy as queen of the Belgians I would never have paired her with King Baudouin ;)

Thanks! Wasn't it somewhat unexpected in Fabiola's time for a woman who was a member of a very well-heeled noble family to work a regular job as a nurse in addition to her charity pursuits? I am sure King Baudouin appreciated her social commitment.

Genuine curiosity: why would one want a canonisation of K.Baudouin?

I cant see why not, if he was a good man and fit the criteria for sainthood. Its pretty rare for a king to have that sort of virtue.. so it would be wonderful if one did...

But a miracle through his intercession should happen in order to start the beatification process

But a miracle through his intercession should happen in order to start the beatification process

I presume if there is a case for his sainthood going through the Vatican will gothrough the usual procedures.

I presume if there is a case for his sainthood going through the Vatican will gothrough the usual procedures.

First we need someone with an untreatable disease claiming that it all went away when he called for Baudouin's intervention and voilà... A miracle!. Preferably two separate cases will help. Like the man who claims to have healed from fungus in his feet after intermission of the late Pope...

yes there is a process to find miracles, which were cauased through the person's intervention. If there is a case going through, the Vatican will investigate any claims...

:previous: As I posted, there were characteristics of saintliness in Baudouin's personality. Reading available material on him, including excerpts from his private diaries, there can be no doubt about his deep faith and his intense love for the Lord.

He accepted any and all adversity in his life as God's will and put his complete trust in Him, which is the essence of saintliness but....Baudouin was no saint as he probably would be the first to agree.

Nobody is sinless and that includes everyone who was proclaimed a saint by the Catholic church. So, of course Bauduoin would know he was a sinner like everyone else and most likely made many mistakes and probably some very serious ones that he might have regretted the rest of his life. However, sainthood is about being forgiven for your sins not about living a life completely free of sin (although it's a worthy goal to strive for). All christians are saints according to the bible and are called to live accordingly.

The reason the catholic church requires a miracle is that they want to know for sure that that person is indeed in heaven. But only very few of those in heaven are recognized as saints by the church.

Sorry Eya , but this made Princess Maria Esmeralda so angry that it is the first page of Paris March this week.
This are fake news !!

I don't think that the statement is incorrect: Van Acker thought that the two had a relationship. This was known for a long time already, I have read the story of the train before. It is however likely that Mr. Van Acker was incorrect in his assumptions.

The reason why this a news item now is not that anything that was in Van Acker's diaries is 'new'. Historians have seen these diaries already. and used this information. What is new is that the diaries are now open for anybody to look into at the national archives in Bruges.

I have never believed these gossips about a relationship of Boudewijn/Baudouin with his stepmother. The young man was so serious, with high standards, very religious that any hint to a relationship is hard to imagine.

Back
Top Bottom