King Baudouin (1930-1993) and Queen Fabiola (1928-2014) of the Belgians

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His refusal is exactly what makes him different than all the other royals who just blindly sign anything and everything put in front of them. For many, that's what makes the man great, not a scoundrel.

He may be "great" but in essence the King has not understood his role. The democratically elected Chamber of Representatives and the democratically elected Senate have approved a Bill which was initiated by the democratically elected Government. All constitutional procedures, from draft to final Act were followed precizely.

Then one man, whom nevertheless solemnly pledged to maintain and upheld the Constitution, who was not elected by anybody and has no public mandate, steps on the brakes, purely because of HIS conscience.

In all modern constitutional handbooks is explained that the final royal (or presidential assent) is no personal opinion of the head of state but a confirmation that all has passed correctly and that the Act is -seen the result of the votings- an espression of the democratic will of the people. Because King Baudouin was King for so long, he had a great personal prestige. People looked up to him and ministers were wringling in all directions to find a loophole, so that the Act would go through but the King was 'spared'.

In Luxembourg Grand Duke Henri refused to sign a Bill which allows euthanasia (under very, very specific circumstances). The Luxembourg Government had no any pardon for the Grand Duke: immediately a revision of the Constitution was initiated (and approved by Parliament -unanimously!!!-) which removed the Grand Duke's role in the legislative process. No longer the Grand Duke has to sign Acts and Decrees. Now he only 'promulgates' them (by publication he requests all authorities to execute the Act or Decree).

Especially in divided Belgium, Baudouin's escapades could have led to a fall of the monarchy. And what for? The Abortion Act would have been enforced anyway, to the left or to the right, with the King or without the King. The King's stance was short-sighted and showed that he thought he was still Leopold I in 1840 or so. Even the Vatican requested the King to come back on earth, with both feet on the ground.

Last edited:
We must agree to disagree. I come to this discussion from a single-minded agreement with King Baudouin - it is, indeed, the hook which drew me into learning more about his life and having an even deeper appreciation for his tremendous spiritual life and example to modern Christians.

I am not Roman Catholic, but I clearly see how one segment of the country - Northern folks of Flemish/Dutch background seem less understanding of King Baudouin and what motivated him.

Some act like he almost delighted in causing trouble within the country. I think that didn't even enter into his mind. He could not answer to his God with that on his hands and spirit. End of story.

To my thinking, he was more brave than any reigning monarch standing up for what he knows in his soul to be right.

I have only respect for that.

Well, if all monarchs would 'stand up' for any whim they have, we may find ourselves without any monarchies pretty soon. And quite rightly so. Baudouin was not the king of an autocratic state but of a democratic one. As Duc explained, his signature means that the legislative proces was correct. It did not mean that he agreed with the topic. I am sure Baudouin signed lots of other laws that he did not agree with.

Although he may not have betrayed his conscience he did betray his people. I am glad that none of his successors has continued on this path.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Among other things the article says that she left her jewelry to Queen Mathilde.

Earlier reports about the distribution of Q. Fabiola's inheritance seem to be correct. The palace re-confimered that nothing will go to her SPanish relatives. 'All earthly goods that she posessed are going to charity'.

Last week a Spanish nephew of Fabiola complained about the slow proces of finalizing the inheritance. The palace said that it will be done within three weeks. The nephew also said that he thought that the family would get nothing as all would go to charity, namely to the hulppfonds. This is a charity founded by Baudouin and Fabiola in 1960 to help Belgians who are in need. 560 families receives a check of 200 euros each year. The proceeds mainly come from the entry fees of the royal glasshouses in Laeken.

Familie Fabiola erft niets: alles naar het goede doel - HLN.be

Unsurprisingly in a Flemish newspaper the comments are acid as usual. 'Our money' according to some (although I doubt they would consider the saleries of other civil servants as belonging to the tax payer) and some simply do not believe it or say it is a plot to avoid succession tax.

Others expect that Q. Fabiola already distributed most of her possessions during her life time, so that there will be little to share. Tja... in three weeks we will know more. I do hope that anything with a royal connection will have been donated to a royal foundation or something. I do not expect that Q. Fabiola wanted to see some items belinging to her husband in a public auction f.e.

Last edited:
This Visite to the Nuns by false King Baudouin was a great story .
A past Minister of State Guy Spitaels and a friend of mine were among them.
It was because they were all young men that the atendance was suspicious.

It was said that King baudouin was not angry at all and there was no sentence.

The late Queen Fabiola is the best employer we never has. Still more than a year she passed away 3 to 8 persons are still working at Styvenberg Casle.

The late Queen Fabiola is the best employer we never has. Still more than a year she passed away 3 to 8 persons are still working at Styvenberg Casle.

I wonder what the future holds for the Château du Stuyvenberg?

Thanks for that. Among other things the article says that she left her jewelry to Queen Mathilde.

I'm glad to hear that Fabiola left her jewelry to Queen Mathilde. I am looking forward now to Mathilde's first appearance with Fabiola's Spanish wedding gift tiara, which might be this year as Philippe and Mathilde are expected to go on two state visits to fellow monarchs, respectively of Japan and the Netherlands.

Queen Elisabeth's art deco tiara may be also coming to Mathilde's vault soon, as its current owner, Queen Paola, doesn't seem to have much use for it these days and may decide to loan or give it to her daughter-in-law (unless she chooses instead to leave it to princess Astrid, which I doubt, or perhaps to princess Elisabeth, which would make more sense).

Last edited:
I wonder what the future holds for the Château du Stuyvenberg?

As I understand it, the castle is owned by the Royal Trust, but the Belgian Royal Family retains the right to use it as a private residence under the terms of King Leopold II's donation. I imagine then that some member (or members) of the family will move in eventually and live there.

Queen Mathide will never receive the Queen Paola's deco tiara. Their Relationship is too bad.
Queen Paola has a daughter Astrid , her 3 daughters and another granddaughter Princess Louise.

For the Spanish tiara I read it may go or to Queen Mathilde or to Princess Astrid.

And what about her beloved Niece Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein?

I think that Castle Stuyvenberg will go back to the Royal Trust.

Last edited:
Queen Mathide will never receive the Queen Paola's deco tiara. Their Relationship is too bad.
Queen Paola has a daughter Astrid , her 3 daughters and another granddaughter Princess Louise.

For the Spanish tiara I read it may go or to Queen Mathilde or to Princess Astrid.

And what about her beloved Niece Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein?

I am pretty convinced that Mathilde will inherit the Spanish tiara and probably already has it in her possession.

As for Paola's tiara, we should keep in mind that was actually one of Queen Elisabeth's tiaras, passed on later to Queen Astrid, and then to Princess Lilian. Paola wore it as a princess mostly because that was the only real tiara she actually owned, but it is somewhat apparent that the tiara is meant to remain in the main branch of the Royal Family. Paola, of course, is entitled to leave it to Princess Astrid if she wants, but, assuming she doesn't want Mathilde to have it, it would make more sense IMHO to leave it to Princess Elisabeth, who might be in need of a tiara of her own soon (she may get a new one for her 18th birthday anyway, but we don't know that for sure).

Last edited:
I totally agree with you Mbruno about the Spanish tiara.
And also i believe that Queen Paola she give her tiara to Princess Elizabeth. I don't think so this tiara must leave from Royal Family.

I am pretty convinced that Mathilde will inherit the Spanish tiara and probably already has it in her possession.

As for Paola's tiara, we should keep in mind that was actually one of Queen Elisabeth's tiaras, passed on later to Queen Astrid, and then to Princess Lilian. Paola wore it as a princess mostly because that was the only real tiara she actually owned, but it is somewhat apparent that the tiara is meant to remain in the main branch of the Royal Family. Paola, of course, is entitled to leave it to Princess Astrid if she wants, but, assuming she doesn't want Mathilde to have it, it would make more sense IMHO to leave it to Princess Elisabeth, who might be in need of a tiara of her own soon (she may get a new one for her 18th birthday anyway, but we don't know that for sure).

Actually when the art deco tiara was given to the then Princess Paola (we don't know if she or her husband owns it). it could be expected that it would leave the main branch as at the same time Baudouin and Fabiola married. But i certainly hope that she will leave it to King Philippe or to Prccness Elisabeth. She could also leave it to the King with the stipulation that he should borrow it to his sister for the one or other occasion.

I remember that the Deco tiara is Queen Elisabeth's tiara who as widow 3 months ago gave it to Queen astrid for the birth of Prince Albert, Prince of Liège.

King Leopold gave the tiara to Prince Albert in 1960 and was seen for the first time at King Baudouin's wedding .

I remember that the Deco tiara is Queen Elisabeth's tiara who as widow 3 months ago gave it to Queen astrid for the birth of Prince Albert, Prince of Liège.

King Leopold gave the tiara to Prince Albert in 1960 and was seen for the first time at King Baudouin's wedding .
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Too bad this tradition is long ost and forgotten. There would be plenty of jewellery had Albert followed in his grandmother’s footsteps. ;-)

Much heat could have been taken out of the discussion in 2013 had they given a detailed account of Fabiola’s possessions and clarified back then that she was a wealthy person in her own right thanks to her Spanish relatives. But King Albert denied Fabiola any support and criticized her openly in his New Year’s speech (a shabby move imo) and so did most politicians. That way the partially wrong impression that Fabiola tried to abuse money given to her by the generous taxpayer just grew stronger and stronger. Her Spanish inheritance however was her own business and the Belgian taxpayer had nothing to do with this whatsoever. That at least a big fraction of this inheritance is now part of a Belgian charity is a very generous gesture.
Alas, the damage is done and the court of public opinion had no mercy with Fabiola - it must have been hard to cope with this for her.
I guess as Belgian queen you better arrive and leave penniless. You are not supposed to have wealth/inheritance on your own as this just causes trouble. Ironically at the same time you are supposed to sign a prenup including division of property while during your married live you don’t have an official income at all (dotations are solely for members born into the RF not for their spouses).

And last not least:
The Palace released a statement concerning Fabiola’s legacy today:
- The heir to Fabiola’s fortune is the foundation The Queen's Charities The Belgian Monarchy: Home - The Monarchy today - Royal Initiatives - The Queen's Charities.
- Castle Stuyvenberg was handed over to its owner The Royal Trust (Koninklijke Schenking/Donation Royale). Its new purpose is not yet decided.

- The "House of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola” ceased to exist and there are no persons employed any longer. Furniture etc which didn’t belong to Fabiola but to the Royal Donation was handed over to the owner.

- Fabiola’s jewellery and the correspondence with King Baudouin are now owned by The Queen's Charities as well. I hope the jewels will not be auctioned but stay with the Queen’s charities and will be lend to members of the RF for special occasions.

And last not least:
The Palace released a statement concerning Fabiola’s legacy today:
- The heir to Fabiola’s fortune is the foundation The Queen's Charities The Belgian Monarchy: Home - The Monarchy today - Royal Initiatives - The Queen's Charities.
- Castle Stuyvenberg was handed over to its owner The Royal Trust (Koninklijke Schenking/Donation Royale). Its new purpose is not yet decided.

- The "House of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola” ceased to exist and there are no persons employed any longer. Furniture etc which didn’t belong to Fabiola but to the Royal Donation was handed over to the owner.

- Fabiola’s jewellery and the correspondence with King Baudouin are now owned by The Queen's Charities as well. I hope the jewels will not be auctioned but stay with the Queen’s charities and will be lend to members of the RF for special occasions.

I don't quite understand what that statement means. The link you posted doesn't say anything about Fabiola's inheritance. I don't see either what the Queen's Charities could do with Fabiola's jewelry other than auctioning it, which would be a shame. Very disappointing indeed !

I don't quite understand what that statement means. The link you posted doesn't say anything about Fabiola's inheritance.
I didn’t post a link to the statement itself since it isn’t on the BRFs homepage. Its just a link with a bit more of background information on the charity which is Fabiola’s heir.
Here’s one newspaper article in Flemish on that matter:
37 neven en nichten van Fabiola krijgen niks - Het Nieuwsblad
I don't see either what the Queen's Charities could do with Fabiola's jewelry other than auctioning it, which would be a shame. Very disappointing indeed !

Since the Queens charity is a longstanding trust I guess the jewels can stay with the charity as sort of endowment or trust capital or whatever it is called in English and don’t need to be auctioned immediately or in the years to come.

Fabiola’s jewellery and the correspondence with King Baudouin are now owned by The Queen's Charities as well. I hope the jewels will not be auctioned but stay with the Queen’s charities and will be lend to members of the RF for special occasions.

One just can hope that those items won't be auctioned. But indeed I can't see what the Queen's Charities could do with the late Queen's jewellery.

Really strange that her jewels where left to this charities. and even so private items as her letters to Baudouin and probably also photos and things like this. Why did she not give her Jewels to the Royal Trust perhaps with the obligations such as that the Jewels can be used by the RF and in the case the monarchy should end they should be given back toi the RF. lets hope she has gifted most of her Jewels to Mathilde, Astrd etc.
For example we don't know who owns the Wolgers tiara who was already worn by Mathilde. If it was gifted to her or loaned to her by the Queen's charity.

Last edited:
One just can hope that those items won't be auctioned. But indeed I can't see what the Queen's Charities could do with the late Queen's jewellery.
Perhaps the could sell some of the Items to the King.

Much heat could have been taken out of the discussion in 2013 had they given a detailed account of Fabiola’s possessions and clarified back then that she was a wealthy person in her own right thanks to her Spanish relatives. But King Albert denied Fabiola any support and criticized her openly in his New Year’s speech (a shabby move imo) and so did most politicians. That way the partially wrong impression that Fabiola tried to abuse money given to her by the generous taxpayer just grew stronger and stronger. Her Spanish inheritance however was her own business and the Belgian taxpayer had nothing to do with this whatsoever. That at least a big fraction of this inheritance is now part of a Belgian charity is a very generous gesture.
Alas, the damage is done and the court of public opinion had no mercy with Fabiola - it must have been hard to cope with this for her.
I guess as Belgian queen you better arrive and leave penniless. You are not supposed to have wealth/inheritance on your own as this just causes trouble. Ironically at the same time you are supposed to sign a prenup including division of property while during your married live you don’t have an official income at all (dotations are solely for members born into the RF not for their spouses).

Why did Fabiola in 2013 noit clear herself what she onwed in her own right and from whee she got. She could have made it public through her own Court/her advisors.

Really strange that her jewels where left to this charitiys. and even so pirvgate items as her letters to Baudouin and probably also photos and things like this. Why did she not give her Jewels to the Royal Trust perhaps with the obligations such as that the Jewels can be used by the RF and in the case the monarchy should end they should be given back toi the RF. lets hope she has gifted most of her Jewels to Mathilde, Astrd etc.
The Queens charity was founded by Fabiola. Its her legacy. And this trust is chaired by Queen Mathilde and has a rather small steering committee. The royal trust, just like the King Baudouin Foundation, has a large board of directors and is managed quite business-like. Its just a guess but I think Fabiola was convinced her inheritance is much better off at the Queens charity. Also she could have donated the letters and K Baudouin’s notebooks to the Royal Archives, but then they were open to a larger public and that probably didn’t feel right to her.

It looks like Fabiola's inheritance is estimated at 100 million Euros according to Het Nieuwsblad. I didn't know she was that wealthy ! It is commendable that she left that much money to charity.

On the statement that "all items that belonged to Queen Fabiola are now owned by the Queen's Help Fund" (including furniture and jewelry), I suppose that doesn't include items that the late queen gave away while she was still alive and were not part of the inheritance properly. I am hoping she left some of the more significant historical items to Philippe and Mathilde before her demise. It would be a shame if those items were auctioned off or got lost in the process.

Last edited:
So are Fabiola's jewels available for other members of the Belgium House to use? I read the article but can't really make sense of it

Back
Top Bottom