King Baudouin (1930-1993) and Queen Fabiola (1928-2014) of the Belgians

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So are Fabiola's jewels available for other members of the Belgium House to use? I read the article but can't really make sense of it

The fate of the jewels is unclear and there are conflicting statements from different sources.

Why did Fabiola in 2013 noit clear herself what she onwed in her own right and from whee she got. She could have made it public through her own Court/her advisors.
Fabiola published a letter where she mentioned that she didn’t use public money. But it was too late and too vague to be really convincing. Her court was rather small with no real PR advisor etc and Fabiola was likely too old to defend herself properly. Plus, the RFs staff member who advised Fabiola to establish the bespoke trust fund was Vincent Pardoen. Back the he was the 2nd highest ranking advisor at the court and Albert and Paola’s closest collaborator (and a bad one). He isn’t up to his task and has done much damage to Fabiola’s and also to Albert and Paola’s public image. For ex he fed up all politicians by demanding a higher pension for Albert and he also published Paola’s infamous letter when Laurent was hospitalized. He was sacked by Philippe but Albert hired him again and it hasn’t done him or his public image any good imo.

It looks like Fabiola's inheritance is estimated at 100 million Euros according to Het Nieuwsblad. I didn't know she was that wealthy ! It is commendable that she left that much money to charity.
That’s just a guess by the press. And they often got it wrong. It could be 100 million € or it could be much less. But she owned a large and valuable art collection and real estate in Spain and France. So it’s safe to assume that she left quite a large sum to charity. We will probably get to know more about it when/if the Queens charity publishes a statement of accounts.

We have to wait for the exact amount.

King Baudouin wrote notes and notes on small note books called ATOMA.
All these books are given to the Archives of the Royal palace and may be consulted 30 years after the King's death : 2023 .

We have to wait for the exact amount.

King Baudouin wrote notes and notes on small note books called ATOMA.
All these books are given to the Archives of the Royal palace and may be consulted 30 years after the King's death : 2023 .

Can't wait to see what we find out about all his diligent writings and note taking during his meetings.

Episcopal, you like our past Monarch and I have a nice and old story.

I just heard on TV that the Emperor and Empress of Japan were against the wedding of the Crown Prince , now Emperor with a Communor.

Michiko was send in Bruxelles. Her Fiancé (the Crown Prince) send his love letters to King Baudouin who transmitted them to Michiko where she was living.
Therefore this warm Friendship between them.

Thanks for the nice story, Maria-Olivia.

Episcopal, you like our past Monarch and I have a nice and old story.

I just heard on TV that the Emperor and Empress of Japan were against the wedding of the Crown Prince , now Emperor with a Communor.

Michiko was send in Bruxelles. Her Fiancé (the Crown Prince) send his love letters to King Baudouin who transmitted them to Michiko where she was living.
Therefore this warm Friendship between them.

Thank you maria-olivia!! It seems that Empress Michiko was very close and we saw her and the funeral of the Queen Fabiola was very touched!!

Twenty-three years ago today...the world and, in particular, the people of Belgium lost an extraordinary servant King. Today marks the twenty-third anniversary of the shockingly early passing of King Baudouin I of the Belgians on 31 July 1993. The King died of a massive heart attack while on vacation at the royal couple's compound, Villa Astrida, in Motril, Southern Spain. :sad:

ee4e83c6ee38ff3e685a0b8f3a1a5c9c.jpg

Here is a moving 8 minute clip of some of the royalty and world dignitaries highlights from his funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS8fmuKNObs

I thought of him as older. I remember his paying a state visit to Ireland when I was little, or perhaps my family talked about it later.. I know he and Fabiola were devout catholics.. but I suppose because I remember hm being around so far, back,

Wow he was quite young and shocking death:sad:

Did the UK not send anyone :ohmy: I know HM rarely goes to things, but for the funeral of a fellow monarch, I'd expect at least Charles. Or maybe just were not in video, didn't notice any Danes either.

Did the UK not send anyone :ohmy: I know HM rarely goes to things, but for the funeral of a fellow monarch, I'd expect at least Charles. Or maybe just were not in video, didn't notice any Danes either.

Afaik from the UK Q.Elizabeth II went to the funeral of K.Baudouin

The Protocole Service had to organise Official Funerals when the Choir of our Cathedral was still in renovation (also for Prince Philippe's wedding)
It was told their only mistake is to put President François Mitterand and Madame on the third row.

I noticed the Mitterands on the aisle just behind William-Alexander.

Thanks thought it odd :flowers: Just didn't make clip I guess.

Oh, I didn't quite understand what you meant. Yes, as pointed out, QEII is labeled in the video and she and Philip have the position of honor in first row center aisle on the royalty/world leader side of the Cathedral.

Both Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom (with Prince Philip) and Queen Margrethe II of Denmark (with Prince Henrik) attended King Baudouin's funeral.

Queen Elizabeth II and King Baudouin were third cousins through their common descent from King Christian IX. Queen Margrethe II and King Baudouin, on the other hand, were, I believe, second cousins through their common descent from King Frederick VIII.

Last edited:
At King Baudouin's Funerals came Grand Duchess Maria of Russia. She took place among the family , she was not .
No show up for Queen Fabiola's Funerals !

At King Baudouin's Funerals came Grand Duchess Maria of Russia. She took place among the family , she was not .
No show up for Queen Fabiola's Funerals !

However, her son Grand Duke George did attend Queen Fabiola's funeral.

Valentin Dupont in his Royalement Blog wrote about an interview in 1971 between King Baudouin and Mrs Margit Fjellman , Swedish Journalist. She spoke about his late Mother and the King was happy. he was only 5 when She died
He said that the relationship between the Swedish Royal House and the Belgian Royal House was not close during years.
It is due to Queen Fabiola that the close Family relationship started again with its highlight the State Visit of the late King of Sweden.
Queen Fabiola and Princess Margarethe of Denmark (Queen Astrid's Sister) were close friends. Thanks Valentin

Now I understand no show up from King Leopold III at the various scandinavian Royal Events during 1935 and 1940.

I was very happy to read the interview of King Baudoin, he did not give a lot of interviews in his life

Today is the second anniversary of the death of beautiful Queen Fabiola.

Back
Top Bottom