The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-26-2016, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The late Queen Fabiola is the best employer we never has. Still more than a year she passed away 3 to 8 persons are still working at Styvenberg Casle.

I wonder what the future holds for the Château du Stuyvenberg?

Old 01-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Thanks for that. Among other things the article says that she left her jewelry to Queen Mathilde.
I'm glad to hear that Fabiola left her jewelry to Queen Mathilde. I am looking forward now to Mathilde's first appearance with Fabiola's Spanish wedding gift tiara, which might be this year as Philippe and Mathilde are expected to go on two state visits to fellow monarchs, respectively of Japan and the Netherlands.

Queen Elisabeth's art deco tiara may be also coming to Mathilde's vault soon, as its current owner, Queen Paola, doesn't seem to have much use for it these days and may decide to loan or give it to her daughter-in-law (unless she chooses instead to leave it to princess Astrid, which I doubt, or perhaps to princess Elisabeth, which would make more sense).

Old 01-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I wonder what the future holds for the Château du Stuyvenberg?
As I understand it, the castle is owned by the Royal Trust, but the Belgian Royal Family retains the right to use it as a private residence under the terms of King Leopold II's donation. I imagine then that some member (or members) of the family will move in eventually and live there.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Mathide will never receive the Queen Paola's deco tiara. Their Relationship is too bad.
Queen Paola has a daughter Astrid , her 3 daughters and another granddaughter Princess Louise.

For the Spanish tiara I read it may go or to Queen Mathilde or to Princess Astrid.

And what about her beloved Niece Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein?
Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that Castle Stuyvenberg will go back to the Royal Trust.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

My blog post on the matter. It seems that Q. Fabiola was the sole heiress of her godfather, Don Fernando de Mora. From him and from her own parents she inherited quite a substantial amount of artworks and other assets. The family is thinking of taking steps to get more information from the palace, let's hope it will not lead to a law suit.

"It's Not Fair": Queen Fabiola's Family Surprised As Palace Repeats She Left Everything To Charity
Old 01-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Queen Mathide will never receive the Queen Paola's deco tiara. Their Relationship is too bad.
Queen Paola has a daughter Astrid , her 3 daughters and another granddaughter Princess Louise.

For the Spanish tiara I read it may go or to Queen Mathilde or to Princess Astrid.

And what about her beloved Niece Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein?
I am pretty convinced that Mathilde will inherit the Spanish tiara and probably already has it in her possession.

As for Paola's tiara, we should keep in mind that was actually one of Queen Elisabeth's tiaras, passed on later to Queen Astrid, and then to Princess Lilian. Paola wore it as a princess mostly because that was the only real tiara she actually owned, but it is somewhat apparent that the tiara is meant to remain in the main branch of the Royal Family. Paola, of course, is entitled to leave it to Princess Astrid if she wants, but, assuming she doesn't want Mathilde to have it, it would make more sense IMHO to leave it to Princess Elisabeth, who might be in need of a tiara of her own soon (she may get a new one for her 18th birthday anyway, but we don't know that for sure).
Old 01-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I totally agree with you Mbruno about the Spanish tiara.
And also i believe that Queen Paola she give her tiara to Princess Elizabeth. I don't think so this tiara must leave from Royal Family.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am pretty convinced that Mathilde will inherit the Spanish tiara and probably already has it in her possession.

As for Paola's tiara, we should keep in mind that was actually one of Queen Elisabeth's tiaras, passed on later to Queen Astrid, and then to Princess Lilian. Paola wore it as a princess mostly because that was the only real tiara she actually owned, but it is somewhat apparent that the tiara is meant to remain in the main branch of the Royal Family. Paola, of course, is entitled to leave it to Princess Astrid if she wants, but, assuming she doesn't want Mathilde to have it, it would make more sense IMHO to leave it to Princess Elisabeth, who might be in need of a tiara of her own soon (she may get a new one for her 18th birthday anyway, but we don't know that for sure).

Actually when the art deco tiara was given to the then Princess Paola (we don't know if she or her husband owns it). it could be expected that it would leave the main branch as at the same time Baudouin and Fabiola married. But i certainly hope that she will leave it to King Philippe or to Prccness Elisabeth. She could also leave it to the King with the stipulation that he should borrow it to his sister for the one or other occasion.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I remember that the Deco tiara is Queen Elisabeth's tiara who as widow 3 months ago gave it to Queen astrid for the birth of Prince Albert, Prince of Liège.

King Leopold gave the tiara to Prince Albert in 1960 and was seen for the first time at King Baudouin's wedding .
Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I remember that the Deco tiara is Queen Elisabeth's tiara who as widow 3 months ago gave it to Queen astrid for the birth of Prince Albert, Prince of Liège.

King Leopold gave the tiara to Prince Albert in 1960 and was seen for the first time at King Baudouin's wedding .

Too bad this tradition is long ost and forgotten. There would be plenty of jewellery had Albert followed in his grandmother’s footsteps. ;-)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Aristocracy

Much heat could have been taken out of the discussion in 2013 had they given a detailed account of Fabiola’s possessions and clarified back then that she was a wealthy person in her own right thanks to her Spanish relatives. But King Albert denied Fabiola any support and criticized her openly in his New Year’s speech (a shabby move imo) and so did most politicians. That way the partially wrong impression that Fabiola tried to abuse money given to her by the generous taxpayer just grew stronger and stronger. Her Spanish inheritance however was her own business and the Belgian taxpayer had nothing to do with this whatsoever. That at least a big fraction of this inheritance is now part of a Belgian charity is a very generous gesture.
Alas, the damage is done and the court of public opinion had no mercy with Fabiola - it must have been hard to cope with this for her.
I guess as Belgian queen you better arrive and leave penniless. You are not supposed to have wealth/inheritance on your own as this just causes trouble. Ironically at the same time you are supposed to sign a prenup including division of property while during your married live you don’t have an official income at all (dotations are solely for members born into the RF not for their spouses).
Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Aristocracy

And last not least:
The Palace released a statement concerning Fabiola’s legacy today:
- The heir to Fabiola’s fortune is the foundation The Queen's Charities The Belgian Monarchy: Home - The Monarchy today - Royal Initiatives - The Queen's Charities.
- Castle Stuyvenberg was handed over to its owner The Royal Trust (Koninklijke Schenking/Donation Royale). Its new purpose is not yet decided.

- The "House of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola” ceased to exist and there are no persons employed any longer. Furniture etc which didn’t belong to Fabiola but to the Royal Donation was handed over to the owner.

- Fabiola’s jewellery and the correspondence with King Baudouin are now owned by The Queen's Charities as well. I hope the jewels will not be auctioned but stay with the Queen’s charities and will be lend to members of the RF for special occasions.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
And last not least:
The Palace released a statement concerning Fabiola’s legacy today:
- The heir to Fabiola’s fortune is the foundation The Queen's Charities The Belgian Monarchy: Home - The Monarchy today - Royal Initiatives - The Queen's Charities.
- Castle Stuyvenberg was handed over to its owner The Royal Trust (Koninklijke Schenking/Donation Royale). Its new purpose is not yet decided.

- The "House of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola” ceased to exist and there are no persons employed any longer. Furniture etc which didn’t belong to Fabiola but to the Royal Donation was handed over to the owner.

- Fabiola’s jewellery and the correspondence with King Baudouin are now owned by The Queen's Charities as well. I hope the jewels will not be auctioned but stay with the Queen’s charities and will be lend to members of the RF for special occasions.
I don't quite understand what that statement means. The link you posted doesn't say anything about Fabiola's inheritance. I don't see either what the Queen's Charities could do with Fabiola's jewelry other than auctioning it, which would be a shame. Very disappointing indeed !
Old 02-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't quite understand what that statement means. The link you posted doesn't say anything about Fabiola's inheritance.
I didn’t post a link to the statement itself since it isn’t on the BRFs homepage. Its just a link with a bit more of background information on the charity which is Fabiola’s heir.
Here’s one newspaper article in Flemish on that matter:
37 neven en nichten van Fabiola krijgen niks - Het Nieuwsblad
Quote:
I don't see either what the Queen's Charities could do with Fabiola's jewelry other than auctioning it, which would be a shame. Very disappointing indeed !
Since the Queens charity is a longstanding trust I guess the jewels can stay with the charity as sort of endowment or trust capital or whatever it is called in English and don’t need to be auctioned immediately or in the years to come.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Fabiola’s jewellery and the correspondence with King Baudouin are now owned by The Queen's Charities as well. I hope the jewels will not be auctioned but stay with the Queen’s charities and will be lend to members of the RF for special occasions.
One just can hope that those items won't be auctioned. But indeed I can't see what the Queen's Charities could do with the late Queen's jewellery.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Really strange that her jewels where left to this charities. and even so private items as her letters to Baudouin and probably also photos and things like this. Why did she not give her Jewels to the Royal Trust perhaps with the obligations such as that the Jewels can be used by the RF and in the case the monarchy should end they should be given back toi the RF. lets hope she has gifted most of her Jewels to Mathilde, Astrd etc.
For example we don't know who owns the Wolgers tiara who was already worn by Mathilde. If it was gifted to her or loaned to her by the Queen's charity.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
One just can hope that those items won't be auctioned. But indeed I can't see what the Queen's Charities could do with the late Queen's jewellery.
Perhaps the could sell some of the Items to the King.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Much heat could have been taken out of the discussion in 2013 had they given a detailed account of Fabiola’s possessions and clarified back then that she was a wealthy person in her own right thanks to her Spanish relatives. But King Albert denied Fabiola any support and criticized her openly in his New Year’s speech (a shabby move imo) and so did most politicians. That way the partially wrong impression that Fabiola tried to abuse money given to her by the generous taxpayer just grew stronger and stronger. Her Spanish inheritance however was her own business and the Belgian taxpayer had nothing to do with this whatsoever. That at least a big fraction of this inheritance is now part of a Belgian charity is a very generous gesture.
Alas, the damage is done and the court of public opinion had no mercy with Fabiola - it must have been hard to cope with this for her.
I guess as Belgian queen you better arrive and leave penniless. You are not supposed to have wealth/inheritance on your own as this just causes trouble. Ironically at the same time you are supposed to sign a prenup including division of property while during your married live you don’t have an official income at all (dotations are solely for members born into the RF not for their spouses).
Why did Fabiola in 2013 noit clear herself what she onwed in her own right and from whee she got. She could have made it public through her own Court/her advisors.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Really strange that her jewels where left to this charitiys. and even so pirvgate items as her letters to Baudouin and probably also photos and things like this. Why did she not give her Jewels to the Royal Trust perhaps with the obligations such as that the Jewels can be used by the RF and in the case the monarchy should end they should be given back toi the RF. lets hope she has gifted most of her Jewels to Mathilde, Astrd etc.
The Queens charity was founded by Fabiola. Its her legacy. And this trust is chaired by Queen Mathilde and has a rather small steering committee. The royal trust, just like the King Baudouin Foundation, has a large board of directors and is managed quite business-like. Its just a guess but I think Fabiola was convinced her inheritance is much better off at the Queens charity. Also she could have donated the letters and K Baudouin’s notebooks to the Royal Archives, but then they were open to a larger public and that probably didn’t feel right to her.

Tags
king baudouin, queen fabiola