King Albert II Announces his Abdication: July 3rd 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it will be an annual speech or something important! Maybe it will be the announcement of the acknowledge of Delphine Boel or maybe it will be his abdication or maybe it will be something else!

Maybe it will be an annual speech or something important! Maybe it will be the announcement of the acknowledge of Delphine Boel or maybe it will be his abdication or maybe it will be something else!

It's not an annual speech. Rumours here are that it will be about his abdication.

I think he will announce his abdication. It feels very important!
Or maybe it has got something to do with Delphine...

If he would abdicate will he and Paola be "downgraded" to Prince and Princess of Belgium?

Now that it looks like King Albert is to abdicate after Queen Beatrix's abdication last April, I wonder how this news will be perceived in the other reigning royals houses in Europe.
My attention will especially focus on the monarchies in Denmark, Norway and Spain. I wonder if in these countries the debate about abdication will intensify...

According to the Belgian media the king will announce his abdication.
After the speech of the king, a speech of the prime minister will follow.

It will be broadcasted on four tv channels. It can only be his abdication IMHO.

On which tv channels will it be broadcasted?

Principessa, I have no clue actually. If not, we'll have 3 queens :D

Dazzling, My guess is his age and the fact he's on the throne for 20 years this year.

Further details about the announcement for non-Dutchspeakers ;):
- Apparentlly this afternoon there was a meeting between the king and the politicians. After that the palace released a statement that the King will send a message on the 4 most important television stations and radio stations.
- Several vice-premiers/ministers have confirmed it's about his abdication
- AT 18.15 Elio Di Rupo, the prime minister will make a declaration in Wetstraat 16, the home of our politicians.
-At 17.30 there will also be a meeting of ministers.

If he would abdicate will he and Paola be "downgraded" to Prince and Princess of Belgium?

And will Princess Elisabeth become The Duchess of Brabant or "only" The Crown Princess since she is female heir?

It's not an annual speech. Rumours here are that it will be about his abdication.

Yes, I work for a news organization and the news feeds I'm seeing all about a possible abdication.

Principessa, for sure at EEN and VTM, the latter just did a special news broadcast and are giving the message that Albert will announce his abdication on programs that are currently running.

I find it very surprising, I doubted if he would ever do it, but apparently he will. Philippe is not popular, but he won't be popular in ten years either if thing go on like is. Good that he gets the opportunity to prove everybody wrong.

Last edited:
And will Princess Elisabeth become The Duchess of Brabant or "only" The Crown Princess since she is female heir?

I think it's possible that she will get that title too, as Mathilde received the title duchess of Brabant. With Elisabeth it could be the other way around, she gets the title now, her future husband when he marries her. Can't find any information on it though. I'm too excited :D And I was already stressed because I'm getting to know my uni results in an hour :D

I would be very surprised if he did this.

Anyway, it would be very exciting to see a new King and Queen.

I think there maybe quite a few anxious Belgian Royal Watchers awaiting the news from the Kings speech (myself included).

Does anyone have a link where those outside of Belgium can watch live?

Is Fabiola ok, can it be news about her?

if he abdicates there is

Queen Mathilde
Queen Paola
Dawnger Queen Fabiola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom