King Albert II Announces his Abdication: July 3rd 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is quite funny, because Sofia was never that popular. Now they have an other Royal woman to dislike, and Sofia is "suddenly" great. :whistling: She is a fantastic Queen and I think it´s a pity she never got the recognition she deserved years ago.

Sofía might not have been liked but she's the most respected member of the Royal Family hands down, JC has been the subject of endless jokes after his bear-hunting, womanizing ways have been shown in the press :ermm:

Sofía might not have been liked but she's the most respected member of the Royal Family hands down, JC has been the subject of endless jokes after his bear-hunting, womanizing ways have been shown in the press :ermm:

I personally think Sofia's popularity is down to the fact that she has carried on putting a smile on even when the whole country/world think your husband is cheating on you and is, at times, down right rude to your face.

I wonder what roles the King and Queen will have when Philippe becomes King. Maybe they will retire into private life, especially if the whole illegitame child thing keeps trundelling on.

Another abdication. Beatrix seems to have started a "trend" (herself, the Emir Father of Qatar and now King Albert). I wonder if any more monarchs will abdicate this year...

I know that Belgian inaugurations are quite low-key in the terms of festivities, but I hope that there might be a pre-inauguration banquet or something similar, as I want to see all the royals together again. :)

A little question:

Prior to Beatrix's abdication, WA, Maxima, the Three A's, Constantijn, Laurentien and their children were the members of the Dutch Royal House (correct me if this is wrong). Will the Belgian Royal Family get smaller as well?

I think Philippe and Mathilde will make a good King and Queen. There are a few Queens in the Belgian Royal Family now!

Getty Images has some "in profile" galleries of Albert and Philippe:

Search - Getty Images UK: UNS: (FILE) In Profile: King Albert II of Belgium
Search - Getty Images UK: UNS: (FILE) In Profile: Prince Philippe, Duke of Brabant

Albert's speech is now available on YouTube:

Le roi Albert 2 abdique -Belgium's King Albert 2 abdication -België Koning Albert 2 troonsafst - YouTube

Last edited:
Elizabeth is younger than Amalia, correct? So she officially becomes the youngest female heir to a throne as soon as her grandfather abdicates.

:previous:No, Princess Elisabeth (born on October 25, 2001) is about 2 years older than the Princess of Orange, hence Catharina-Amalia will remain the youngest female heir to a throne (while the youngest male heir is Crown Prince Moulay Hassan of Morocco, I think).
Short articles with photos in honour of King Albert and Queen Paola:
Biografía de Alberto de Bélgica
Paola de Bélgica, la Princesa más guapa de su época; http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2013070413343/queen-paola-belgium-young-beauty/
http://www.semana.es/galeria/alberto-y-paola-20-anos-en-el-trono-de-los-belgas/

Last edited:
And here in Sweden, the king has reigned for 40 years. That's a very long time. But he's only 67 years old and Victoria is busy raising and (we guess) still expanding her family. If she had been older I think he would have abdicated. My impression is that he's quite tired of being a king. The scandals over the last couple of years, and the rapid decline of support for monarchy in Sweden, isn't a secret to anyone. The king himself is very well aware of it.

King Harald of Norway is ten years older. Haakons kids are older than Victorias. I think we will see a shift on the throne in Norway before anything happens in Denmark or Sweden. Margrethe may not abdicate, but I really think that Carl Gustav will do just that. Not now, but later on.

I do however think that Juan Carlos will follow Beatrix and Alberts example real soon. The spanish monarchy needs to hit the refresh button, and I think that Felipe is more than ready to take on the responsibility.

I'm going to echo those who say Norway is next for possible abdication. Spain's Queen Sofia once said King Juan Carlos will never abdicate.

The Swedish King won't consider abdicating for at least ten years for the sake of Victoria's young family. Queen Elizabeth II is out of the question.

I would put Hans Adam of Liechtenstein on the list to abdicate. He has already handed over the regency to his heir Alois, and does not seem to ever be much involved in the domestic or foreign affairs of his little nation prefering to look after business interests etc. I am actually surprised he has not already done so.

I have never heard of the this that the king has Parkinson's disease.
I was really upset to see His Majesty like that when he was taking his oath. And it was quite understandable for me. His beloved brother king Baudouin just died then and when you want to become the king of your nation someone shouts and denounces you in your country's parliament.
I hope Philippe be ready for his oath.

Exactly! Imagine being on holiday with your family one minute, then receiving a phone call in the middle of the night advising you that your much loved and admired 62-year old brother has literally dropped dead. :sad:

Albert's life was changed dramatically in the twinkling of an eye. I felt so badly for the entire BRF during the Enthronement, they all seemed shell-shocked.Astrid was crying, Paola and Philippe looked pale and solemn, and Queen Fabiola reportedly made the Sign of the Cross when the guy started shouting and disrupted things.

Last edited:
I personally think Sofia's popularity is down to the fact that she has carried on putting a smile on even when the whole country/world think your husband is cheating on you and is, at times, down right rude to your face.

I don't find any problem in queen Sofia smiling in spite of whatever her husband does. Her duty is smiling while doing her job, not crying or complaining about how her husband treated her. That is called personal life, and even if the public knows everything , it still is gonna be called Private Life.
I admire her for her patience and suffering in silence, not many people can do it. And I believe she is only doing it for her adoptive country, her people, the sake of her children and her religion.

Yes, Margrethe once said that she will stay on the throne until she falls off it. But in connection with her 40th jubilee she actually modified it a bit in an interview (by saying: "if my health allows it").

So, I am not 100% sure that Queen MII will never abdicate, especially if this trend continues. But I think if she abdicates she will be the last out of the Scandinavian monarchs. I see it sooner happen in Norway or Sweden.
Ican see Margrethe abdicate in 2017, or making Henrik king :eek: as a golden wedding anversary gift, so that he finally will become the head of the family officially, the way he wants it to be.

Some more news:

Article about the events of yesterday.
The King let his wish to abdicate know at the prime minister by letter yesterday morning. Article
From the letter we learn that they allready discussed an abdication and that di Rupo asked him to take some time to reflect/reconsider.

The prime minister, Elio di Rupo, announced the abdication officially in the parliament today.
There was some laughter when di Rupo told that after the meeting with the King and the ministers yesterday he contacted Philippe to tell him about 'the situation'. At the laughter di Rupo reacted: It is my job to tell him. video

After the prime minister's speech the politicians started to debate about the role of the monarchy, going toward a more ceremonial monarchy or abolish it all. But nothing constitutional can change now. Probably these questions will be raised again after the next elections in 2014.

After the 21st Albert will lose his inviolobility. What this will mean for the court case of Delphine Boël, we'll have to wait and see. From what I know in Belgium it is not possible to have your DNA tested against your will.
Article (I had to laugh with the google translation of this. Souvereign in Dutch is Vorst, which also means frost. So the Frost in the title is Albert:))

King Albert's last official visit before the 21st will be on the 19th to the City of Liège. He was Prince of Liège before he became King.

Bellewaerde Zoo named a baby giraffe Albert, it was born yesterday.

Philippe will become the new King of the Belgians and Albert will be just King.

Philippe was in Antwerp today and made a short declaration. He wants to hounor his father and is well aware of his responsabilities. He ended with saying: See you on the 21st!

The first euro coins with King Philippe will be released in 2014.

Philippe choses a Flemish dipomat as his new Chief of Cabinet. Article

Princess Elisabeth's role will not change for now. cute video

And a nice article about the women behind Philippe.

Last edited:
Do we know what will happen to the other members of the Royal Family after the King abdicates? Will Princess Astrid still carry out public duties and receive an allowance or now? Likewise for Prince Laurent? I think I read that Albert will continue to receieve an allowance.

Ican see Margrethe abdicate in 2017, or making Henrik king :eek: as a golden wedding anversary gift, so that he finally will become the head of the family officially, the way he wants it to be.

Yes, he would like to, but the Parliament says no!

More likely, and in my opinon much better and about time too, he will finally officially be know as Prince Henri.

However, QMII's has back problems and so has Prince Henrik, so the thought that QMII might abdicate is not as far out as it used to be, where she said she would stay until she dropped from the perch.
And I would welcome that. QMII has done a tremendous job but it might be about time to start a new tradition. Retirering at a certain age, which also ensure that the transition is a joyous rather than sad occasion.
Another matter is that people are expected to live longer. Frederik, and King Willem-Alexander can both expect to live well into their 90's, with their children being around 60 before it's their turn. And they again can expect to live for more than 100 years.

That would certainly make his day. I am sure he has fantasized about it many times. Would also make for interesting constitutional news.

One question, when Elisabeth turns 18, does she have to swear as senator as King Albert's children did?

Let this be the fourth and LAST abdication of all time. Pray for the health and happiness of all Kings and Queens around the world, long may they reign over their countries.

:previous: Ephram I think that abdication will become more and more a common habit in Royal Families. First because of the longer life expectancy (I wouldn't want to rule my country till 100 yo and leave it then to a 70yo man/woman...ruling needs fresh energy, both in mind and body). and secondly because of the representative functions a Sovereign has now, he/she is required to go abroad, lots of travels...it's not a matter of politics anymore, and one doesn't necessarily needs politics expertise...and this go back to point 1, one needs to have strenght (you can see the difference between QEII that leaves her children/grandchildren going abroad on her behalf and King Willem Alexander that is going back and forth everyday).

One question, when Elisabeth turns 18, does she have to swear as senator as King Albert's children did?

if the rules will be the same by them, I think they will. but apparently both King Albert and the Parliament agree for a change of the RF position, so that it becomes more representative than political...

Last edited:
if the rules will be the same by them, I think they will. but apparently both King Albert and the Parliament agree for a change of the RF position, so that it becomes more representative than political...

Maybe only Elisabeth will swear? and her siblings won't? that depends on how Philippe manages to deal with this issue.

Last edited:
Maybe only Elisabeth will swear? and her siblings won't? that depends on how Philippe manages to deal with this issue.

it all depends whether the Princes will still be Senators by right (like they are now) or not...

from Wikipedia

Senators by right[edit]
These are the children of the King, older than 18, or if there are none, the Belgian descendants of the main branch of the Royal house, who have taken the oath of office. Having reached the age of 21, the Senators by Right are in theory entitled to vote, but in practice they do not cast their vote. They are not counted towards the required quorum, therefore, to pass a valid vote, 36 of the 71 senators have to be present.
There are currently three Senators by Right: Prince Philippe, Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent.

Thanks for the information Marchesina.
I don't think it is gonna be a problem, because they are only senators in name.

I do not think nor hope that any of the scandinavian monarchs and QEII in UK abdicates.

The only other abdication i would want to see is in Spain. To save their young monarchy.

I do not think nor hope that any of the scandinavian monarchs and QEII in UK abdicates.

The only other abdication i would want to see is in Spain. To save their young monarchy.

There is no way QEII will abdicate!

I agree with Spain as well -it's time!

Seeing there this year is going to be crazy!

Regarding the senator question - Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent will be no longer members of the senate when their brother has taken the oath. And there is a reform of the senate underway and it looks like all senators by right will be abolished which means that neitherPrincess Elisabeth nor her siblings will be members of the senate in the future.

Thanks for the heads up, Mara.

It's for the best, that senators by right thing doesn't really mean anything to be honest.

Regarding the senator question - Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent will be no longer members of the senate when their brother has taken the oath. And there is a reform of the senate underway and it looks like all senators by right will be abolished which means that neitherPrincess Elisabeth nor her siblings will be members of the senate in the future.

Thank you- I didn't understand it originally.

:previous:
With which name did King Baudouin/Boudewijn sign?

It's a good thing that Elisabeth and Mathilde is written them same in Dutch. :whistling:

The new king will sign with the French 'Philippe' instead of the Dutch 'Filip'. Let's see what the reaction in Flanders will be.... :popcorn:

Belgische prins Filip wordt koning Philippe - Nieuws - VK

they surely will start complaining...but it's not his fault I think, he was baptised as Philippe, he has been called Philippe his whole life, if that's the name he's more comfortable with people should respect that. it's the same thing that happen with Willem Alexander, when people expected him to be just called Willem because of the tradition. I know Flemishes want their sovereign to represent them as well as the francophone, but Philippe (or Filip) and Mathilde made so much things to respect the flemish part of the country (above all making their children attending a Flemish school) that I don't think a way to write and read a name is something that can disrespect a population.
moreover I think they will call him Koning Filip as they did before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom