The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarat View Post
So until now there's Netherlands, Qatar, Belgium.... Who's next who's next?
Spain or Japan, I believe.

We'll not see abdications in the UK or in Scandinavia.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

the photo of king Albert and queen Paola just before the beginning of the announce of the abdication
"L'âge, la santé et la vie privée auront joué", estiment d'anciens ministres - 7SUR7.be

Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

King Albert has done a magnificent job all these years. Even after the last scandals, I think he has been a good king for Belgium.

But I´m glad with his choice. He isn´t young anymore and Philippe has the perfect age. I´m pretty sure he will be a fine king. Good luck to him and Mathilde, can´t wait until see them as King and Queen!

Heir Apparent

Movie clip speech of the king
Serene Highness

After July 21st we'll have 2 Kings and 3 Queens in Belgium!
That's unique, no?

Combining everything on the 21st is a good thing in my opinion. All the military and politicians would allready be in Brussels for the National Day and thus much extra costs for a seperate abdication/enthronisation are avoided.

I'm looking forward to seeing Philippe and Mathilde for the first time after this news. I wonder if they will have a photoshoot with their kids as is tradition in the beginning of the summer.

I hope Albert and Delphine can find peace and understanding out of the limelight.

I think that if we'll have another abdication coming, it will be in Spain or Norway.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
After July 21st we'll have 2 Kings and 3 Queens in Belgium!
That's unique, no?

Combining everything on the 21st is a good thing in my opinion. All the military and politicians would allready be in Brussels for the National Day and thus much extra costs for a seperate abdication/enthronisation are avoided.

I'm looking forward to seeing Philippe and Mathilde for the first time after this news. I wonder if they will have a photoshoot with their kids as is tradition in the beginning of the summer.

I hope Albert and Delphine can find peace and understanding out of the limelight.

I think that if we'll have another abdication coming, it will be in Spain or Norway.
The childern are on summer camp for the moment accoring to the media.
I hope they will still do the shoot. It are always fantastic pictures.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

My vote is also on Spain. I think that would be a good move for Juan Carlos.

I think it's very likely that there will be abdications in the scandinavian countries as well. In Norway, the crown prince couples children are in school (not too small). In Denmark the crown prince has small kids, but they're likely done with having kids (Mary's almost 40 and they have four kids). In Sweden, I guess that Victoria and Daniel will have more kids, aka not a great time to take over the throne. If they had been on the same time schedule as the norwegian prince couple, I actually think that king Carl Gustav would have abdicated already.

So, yes, I think we will see abdications in the scandinavian royal houses over the next decade or so. In the UK? No way. That lady isn't going anywhere :)
Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Nobility

I was very surprised to know King Albert is already 79 years old. Someone in that age should have a much more relax life, without so many obligations.
Concerning to other abdication, I was thinking in Spain it would cause a lot of debate and the talking that Monarchy is not necessary. But I think people in Spain can argue better about it.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Movie clip about Mathilde

Mathilde als nieuwe koningin (Mathilde as new queen)
Old 07-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

Veering off the topic ... I do not see the abdication happening in Japan. There is no need for His Imperial Majesty to abdicate. Emperor Akihito has not expressed his wish to retire. When it comes to the Imperial family, the rules are set in stone.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Good point about combining to reduce costs!

I too hope for summer pictures. Last years pictures were beautiful! Can't wait for tomorrow though. The activities of the princely couple aren't cancelled, so there will be lots of journalists to ask a reaction/congratulate them.

UK is never going to abdicate. The tradition of the monarchy is so old there, that abdicition doesn't seem possible. Charles will have to wait

I also heard on the news that on 21 july, there first will be the Te Deum in the church, with King Albert and after that he will abdicate. So that the two royal couples can enjoy the rest of the festivities together.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post

I also heard on the news that on 21 july, there first will be the Te Deum in the church, with King Albert and after that he will abdicate. So that the two royal couples can enjoy the rest of the festivities together.
So after the Te Deum and before the Miltary Parade? But will they have also the time to go the Parliament so that Philippe can take the oath. or will that take place at another day?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Nobility

I love Albert II and Paola , but it was time for Albert to abdicate.
I also like this new trend ( abdicating ) it's much better than a sad and depressing inaguration IMO.
I don't think that the Belgians are going to adore Philippe for some time but I believe we all are gonna love the new Queen Mathilde.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Courtier

OMG so the rumours we heard were true!

I'm so happy this is happening, I think Philippe is going to be a great king
Old 07-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
So after the Te Deum and before the Miltary Parade? But will they have also the time to go the Parliament so that Philippe can take the oath. or will that take place at another day?
It will be the same day as I understand it. But I have no idea how they will do it Perhaps they will postpone some of the festivities like the parade? This does imply however that there will be no big ride or other things like in the Netherlands. As fas as I know, the only things needing to happen is the signing of the abdication by Albert and the oath in 3 languages of Filip. This will not take up too much time, I suppose.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Normally on National Day the Te Deum is in the morning and the military parade in the afternoon.

A minister said on TV that the Te Deum will be moved forward a bit.
So that the abdication and oath can happen between the Te Deum and the parade.
And it was allready decided that the tribune for the military parade would be facing the palace this year instead of standing in front of it. Maybe that means that a balcony appearance could happen.

I don't know where the abdication will take place, in the palace or the parliament. Anyway, both are only seperated by a park. So it won't take long to go from palace to parliament.

The flemish news site also has a page in English, Flandersnews.be , where you can find more articles about the abdication, information and portraits.

Do you think anything will change about the visit of W-A and Maxima, now that Belgium will have a new King and Queen when they'll visit?
There are some protocally rules about a new King and Queen visiting other countries first, before inviting. Maybe they can meet at the border
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

What are coronation or inauguration procedures in Belgium?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Its just a simple oath taking in Parliament. No crown, no robes , no tra la la.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
I believe it is a very simple ceremony. The new king will swear in front of the parliament and his family are also present of course. And there are no crowns in Belgium. There might be some festivities.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

The Dutch King Willem-Alexander has to make a new appointment to come in Brussels. It was schdueld on 14 October for Willem Alexander and Maxima to go on introductory visit to King Albert II and Queen Paola.

It is a custom that the head of state visits first the longer reigning colleague. With the resignation of King Albert on July 21 in favor of Prince Philippe, the roles are reversed. Not Willem-Alexander but King Philip is the 'junior' head of state, and therefore the first visit needs to take place in Holland. An easy solution is available by maintaining the date and invite Philippe and Mathilde in The Hague.

As the visit is planned for 14. October perhaps they can schedule a short Visit of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde to the Netherlands before it.

Tags
abdication, king albert ii