Funeral of Queen Fabiola: December 12, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Strange to see Prince Laurent wearing sunglasses inside. He looks a bit maffioso...

I suppose the Dowager Princess isn't present (which worris me about her healt) as she would be seated with her brother, Grand Duke Jean.
Would she? With due respect, he was Queen Fabiola's brother-in-law, while the Dowager Princess de Ligne wasn't so closely related to the late Queen. I don't think she would be seated in the first rows, with the siblings-in-law and the nephews and nieces of Queen Fabiola.

I got the impression Gabriel left because it was too much for him and he needed to get out of the camera lenses. Now he is back on his place. Goes to show how dearly they miss Fabiola.

No, I don't know who reading a lecture now, but the commentator said that after this Gabriel will read his lecture

Yeah, I don't speak Dutch or French, but I recognized that the the beatitudes, too.

It is Godfried Cardinal Danneels, the Emeritus Archbishop of Malines-Brussels, who also was the celebrant at the funeral of the late King Baudouin. He explains the excerpt from the Song of Songs in which two loved ones find each other, meaning Baudouin and Fabiola.

Would she? With due respect, he was Queen Fabiola's brother-in-law, while the Dowager Princess de Ligne wasn't so closely related to the late Queen. I don't think she would be seated in the first rows, with the siblings-in-law and the nephews and nieces of Queen Fabiola.

She seated with Grand Duke Jean and Queen Fabiola at Guillaume's wedding. But, of course, that was in Luxembourg. And she was close to the late Queen.

But she may be there and seated with her son and daughter-in-law.

Queen Sofía of Spain seems very sad too.
I have to say that it is so nice of Juan Carlos attending the funeral, as he doesn't travel abroad much for Royal engagements and such.

Grand Duchess Marie Theresa of Luxembourg looked very moved during the homily by Cardinal Danneels as did both the King & Queen.

Also Prince Charles and Princess Fiammetta d'Arenberg and the Duke of Croy are present.

Prince Charles d'Arenberg is the son of the former Princess Sophie of Bavaria, who is the godmother of Prince Laurent.

Last edited:
Wonderful words from Cardinal Daneels. It strikes every time how you can easily find meaningful bits in the Bible each and every time you need comfort ...

I am really hoping that those who speak either of the languages of the service will take pity on those of us who do not and provide details on the Cardinal Danneels' remarks.

Queen Sofía of Spain seems very sad too.
I have to say that it is so nice of Juan Carlos attending the funeral, as he doesn't travel abroad much for Royal engagements and such.

King Juan Carlos did also attend the funerals of Prince Claus of the Netherlands (consort of Queen Beatrix), Queen Juliana of the Netherlands and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands (consort of Queen Juliana). So he takes the effort to pay his last respects in own person...

:flowers:

I've just spotted the Princess of Ligne (can't say exactly where). She looks very sad.

You can tell that for the children of Philippe, Astrid and Laurent, Fabiola was a grandmother, they are mourning her like that.

I am really hoping that those who speak either of the languages of the service will take pity on those of us who do not and provide details on the Cardinal Danneels' remarks.

The homily by the Cardinal was framed in the Song of Songs (which we heard in the first lecture) and the seed which needs to be sewn first to bear fruit (which we heard in the second lecture).

Last edited:

He made a remark of the similitude between Fabiola's life and the biblical figure of Ruth and the wonderful song of Ruth when she didn't want her husband to leave her "I will die where I will die...I will be buried where you will be buried"
He said also that she didn't have children...but she adopted and entire nation

Beautiful Homily of Cardinal Daneels!

He made a remark of the similitude between Fabiola's life and the biblical figure of Ruth and the wonderful song of Ruth when she didn't want her husband to leave her "I will die where I will die...I will be buried where you will be buried"

That passage of Ruth was also chosen by (then) Princess Máxima during her Wedding, it was read by Padre Rafael Braun, the family priest of the Zorreguietas. It is very fitting for someone who leaves a homeland to live together with the love of her life. Very fitting passage from the Bible.

Prayers of the Faithful by Princess Elisabeth,Prince Gabriel and Princess Louise,how lovely!

And also by Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg and Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este.

Last edited:

Oh that is so sad to me.

:verysad:

The prince Gabriel is so sad :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-12-10-47-16~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-12-10-47-16~2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 502
  • Screenshot_2014-12-12-10-40-10~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-12-10-40-10~2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 613
  • Screenshot_2014-12-12-10-39-15~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-12-10-39-15~2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 519
I have so far spotted Prince Vittorio-Emanuele of Savoy, King Fouad II of Egypt, the Duke of Braganza and Grand Duke George of Russia.

Great: the prayers read in Dutch, French, German, English and Spanish by the late Queen's relatives.

Prayers of the Faithful by Princess Elisabeth,Prince Gabriel and Princess Louise,how lovely!

And also by Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg and Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este.

Splendid, very moving.

Back
Top Bottom