The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Aristocracy

I watched the funeral and it was very moving, dignified and beautiful.
All was so touching that I almost had a tears in my eyes.
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde looked devastated.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Nobility

This is ways too moving... I must admit I cried.
The love that remains is stronger than everything... "O death where is your victory o death where is your sting?" these words made so much sense...

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Serene Highness

No offence intended, but to me this was a kind of strange (royal) funeral. "It" didn´t seem to know what it was, official or private? Of course I understand that protocol has to be obeyed and private wishes to be woven into, but somehow it was nothing of both...

And "protocol" seemed to be a bit chaotic. Or I didn´t get it?! Why left Princess Beatrix after Empress Michiko while the other "active" crowned heads of state remained seated in the cathedral for quite a long time?!

And I was very surprised about the small number of people who bothered to turn up! I think half of the few hundred was media... Even after Pr. Bernhard of the NL´s death many many more people lined the streets, not speaking of a lot more royal attendance!
I´d never thought so after the amount of affection, love and gratefulness shown by the belgian people towards the late Queen after Baudouin´s death! Oh well, people seem to forget so fast...!

The grief of the BRF was heartbreaking and honest (I too felt especially for Prince Gabriel, poor darling!).

Didn´t Pr. Laurent and his family only attend the service at St. Gudule and not in Notre Dame de Laeken? I didn´t see them there...?!
Old 12-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Nobility

Little princess Eleonore was crossing her hands over her chest, which means she wants to be blessed, but not receive the communion. Which means, she doesn't have made her first communion.

I recorded the funeral, I'll see how I can put it online, but since I'm very bad with technology, I can't promise anything...

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Serene Highness

Funeral of Queen Fabiola: December 12, 2014

I watched the whole funeral on my iPhone. I'm not a catholic but i have to say that the catholic funeral masses are very nice. It was a very nice and moving ceremony. I loved all the music they had chosed. Especially the Bach, Mozart and Faure pieces. And that spanish song was very touching.

It was a great send off of their beloved Queen. You could see in the eyes of every member of the belgian royal family and others how much they loved her. Hopefully she is reunited with her beloved Baudouin now.

Rest in peace Ma'am
Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
It was very painful seeing little Prince Emmanuel Baudouin sobbing like that.[.....].
It was just a few seconds. Later in the Mass he did fantastic during the prayer of the faithful.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
No offence intended, but to me this was a kind of strange (royal) funeral. "It" didn´t seem to know what it was, official or private? Of course I understand that protocol has to be obeyed and private wishes to be woven into, but somehow it was nothing of both...

And "protocol" seemed to be a bit chaotic. Or I didn´t get it?! Why left Princess Beatrix after Empress Michiko while the other "active" crowned heads of state remained seated in the cathedral for quite a long time?!

And I was very surprised about the small number of people who bothered to turn up! I think half of the few hundred was media... Even after Pr. Bernhard of the NL´s death many many more people lined the streets, not speaking of a lot more royal attendance!
I´d never thought so after the amount of affection, love and gratefulness shown by the belgian people towards the late Queen after Baudouin´s death! Oh well, people seem to forget so fast...!

The grief of the BRF was heartbreaking and honest (I too felt especially for Prince Gabriel, poor darling!).

Didn´t Pr. Laurent and his family only attend the service at St. Gudule and not in Notre Dame de Laeken? I didn´t see them there...?!
I agree with your comparisons. The latest royal funerals of Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, Prince Bernhard, Queen Juliana and Prince Claus were more royal and ceremonial but I must say I did not see lots of difference with Baudouin, apart from the use of a military hearse back then.

Queen Juliana has arrived at the New Church in Delft (2004): http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/315...4YQfj8LHx1U4uK
Old 12-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I agree with your comparisons. The latest royal funerals of Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, Prince Bernhard, Queen Juliana and Prince Claus were more royal and ceremonial but I must say I did not see lots of difference with Baudouin, apart from the use of a military hearse back then.

The cortège with Queen Juliana in 2004, leaving The Hague: http://www.monuta.nl/mediabank/over-...%20Juliana.jpg

Well, I haven´t been too pleased about Baud.´s funeral, too. Some wore white, lot of people (ladies) grey, some black.
But there had been at least a funeral procession from the Palace to the cathedral. But today there weren´t enough people, as I stressed before, for a funeral procession...

There´s really no comparison between Jos.-Charlotte´s, the Queen Mother´of Britain´s funeral (hers was almost like one of a Queen Regnant) and today. I know, of course, that the personalities of these ladies had been completely different and this fact reflects in their respective last-goodbys
Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Royal Highness

There are no pictures of d. Duarte of Braganza at the funeral?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Majesty

I believe I have seen him this morning when the camera moved over the royal guests.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Majesty

Now I am listening to Rocio Jurado, singing Salve Rociero con emocíon...
Old 12-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Royal Highness

Where can I see the funeral on the Internet?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimae View Post
i watched the funeral this morning , it was very touching .
the moment that made me cry was when they song salve rociera for the late queen .
i want to ask who are the spanish relatives of the queen ?
the lady who is singing with the coral ?

I cried too at that point. And so did Queen Mathilde as you can see on the clip.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you very much for the video.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Well, I haven´t been too pleased about Baud.´s funeral, too. Some wore white, lot of people (ladies) grey, some black.
But there had been at least a funeral procession from the Palace to the cathedral. But today there weren´t enough people, as I stressed before, for a funeral procession...

There´s really no comparison between Jos.-Charlotte´s, the Queen Mother´of Britain´s funeral (hers was almost like one of a Queen Regnant) and today. I know, of course, that the personalities of these ladies had been completely different and this fact reflects in their respective last-goodbys
The funeral may have lacked in protocol and ceremony, but the mass was actually one of the best services I've seen in royal funerals. The readings from the Bible were very well chosen, I enjoyed the music and the cardinal's sermon, and there was genuine emotion from the family and the congregation.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Belgium's royals join European monarchs as they bid farewell to Queen Fabiola | Daily Mail Online

Luxarazzi : Funeral of Queen Fabiola of Belgium

Full Funeral video:NOS Uitvaart Fabiola gemist? Kijk het op npo.nl
Old 12-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
It was very painful seeing little Prince Emmanuel Baudouin sobbing like that. Perhaps that is why some people don't bring children to funerals because it's too upsetting and intense for them.
It's Gabriel, not Emmanuel
And I don't really agree, he's eleven, and it's not just a funeral, Q. Fabiola was like a grandmother to them...

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I read several times questions whether there were so less people in the streets and in front of the cathedral. I can imagine that the bad weather was the reason for many people not to go outside, but watch the funeral on tv or via internet.

Let's hope that the BRF will soon be able to cope the death and that it will be easier for them to know that she is now reunited with her husband and all of her unborn children.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
I read several times questions whether there were so less people in the streets and in front of the cathedral. I can imagine that the bad weather was the reason for many people not to go outside, but watch the funeral on tv or via internet.

Let's hope that the BRF will soon be able to cope the death and that it will be easier for them to know that she is now reunited with her husband and all of her unborn children.
I know someone who was outside and just went back home. There he could watch the ceremony and not get sick. Just after the funeral I walked 100 meters outside and I was really wet. And the wind is not to stand either. Sane people just couldn't stay out, even for the love of the queen. They will all get sick.
And also, this is maybe the main reason: we have a national strike on monday. Everyone is "forced" to take a day off then (no public transports and all the ways are blocked), so everybody had to work today...

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

What an emotional day it has been and everything was conducted with such dignity. The main observations I have is the open emotion of the Belgian Royal Family and particularly the children who were so good at what they had to do. One thing I noticed most particularly was Queen Fabiola's coffin, placed on the ground at the high alter, and the rain drops that still covered it during the ceremony.
Thanks for all the pictures and links etc.
It was very moving to see Empress Michiko today at Queen Fabiola's funeral. I was lucky enough to watch the whole event live and I do not recall ever having seen so much modern-day footage of her even though it was only a few minutes for her arrival and departure.
I noticed that she was being helped a lot by a very nice lady in uniform who seemed to have been allocated to look after her well!
My respect and admiration for the Empress has always been there, but somehow it seems to have been elevated even more today!

Tags
belgium, death, fabiola, funeral, queen fabiola